New Van Options

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

New Van Options

Postby segreen » 03 Jan 2018, 10:41

I've been trying to source a new drive from wheelchair van. I'd prefer one with a side ramp and lowered floor rather then a lift. Can anyone suggest a suitable van and convertor. I don't mind importing although for convenience it would be nice to get something in the UK. GM Conversions in the UK do a nice Caravelle but it has an underfloor cassette lift which I'm not too sure about. Anyone any views?

Thanks Steve
segreen

Re: New Van Options

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jan 2018, 12:33

I would import.

The pound dollar rate is crap (was 2 dollars to the pound when I did it so 30k inc shipping etc). But its still way cheaper than anything in this country. The caravelle has feet/footplate and hitting a lip where the pedals are type issues and steering wheel is too offset for my liking. And of course the cost.

http://www.rollxvans.com/inventory/?sea ... &price=all
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby segreen » 03 Jan 2018, 13:16

I get what your saying John. I have thought about another Dodge but I thought a European or UK conversion would be better quality. I don't mind paying for a good quality van and conversion but it's finding one. What do you think of these? https://www.braunability.com/wheelchair-vans/chrysler-pacifica-power-foldout-xt/

You imported yours through Bekker didn't you? Worth speaking to him?

Steve
segreen

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jan 2018, 13:22

Bekkers will not do the deal I did as old man bekker died. I was in the middle of doing the import myself, he took over same price. Pacifica I never saw. Colorado van is a bit tight. And like you te underfloor lift worries me.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby segreen » 03 Jan 2018, 17:19

Can't believe there's not much out there. Choice is very limited!
segreen

Postby Burgerman » 05 Jan 2018, 11:25

Theres these:
Attachments
4x4.jpg
mercedes-sprinter-x-sprinter-conversion.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby segreen » 06 Jan 2018, 14:35

Looks like a tank!
segreen

Postby Burgerman » 06 Jan 2018, 17:48

Thats because its a 4x4 version. I go on wet flying feilds with model planes. You would order normal rear drive, etc. Without 33 inch tyres...

The advantage is, that very little floor modification is needed. So while the van is expensive, and very expensive with high trim levels, the modificaton is minimal.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby segreen » 07 Jan 2018, 10:41

Do you have a link for it?
segreen

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jan 2018, 11:14

http://www.steeringdevelopments.co.uk/p ... d-sprinter

Theres a few. heres a less angry one.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby segreen » 07 Jan 2018, 14:11

Do you think they're a viable option from the Dodge John? The Sprinter just looks like a big van and the Vito seems too small for a powerchair and side entry. I want something similar to the Dodge/Chrysler that looks desirable and not the usual disable looking Transit van ;) My Dodge has been good but as you say the build quality is not too good and once the electrics start playing up it's how deep is your pockets!

Steve
segreen

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jan 2018, 19:14

The grey pic above in high trim level doesent look bad. The basic cheap van looks like one at 1/3rd the price. I dont know what else to suggest other than llooking at what all the usual modifiers can offer.

If you are importing take alook at the toyota and honda minivans.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby segreen » 08 Jan 2018, 10:39

It's such a minefield buying these vans. When buying an import you don't know whether you've bought the right vehicle until it's arrived and whether it's suitable or not unless you know someone with one. It's really hit and miss! I was lucky with my last two vans, a Plymouth and a Dodge. Both vans were good and have lasted me 25-years. Fancy something well made now that will last as it'll probably be the last one I buy. Got a Caravelle Colorado demonstration next month with GM Conversions. Will phone Steering Developments today and see what they can do.

Steve
segreen

Postby Cal » 08 Jan 2018, 17:40

I agree - there isn't a great choice in the UK now that the Chrysler Voyager (and related vehicles) are no longer available in our market. My issue (one of several) for importing from the US/Canada is that they are left hand drive - it just wouldn't work for me.

I opted a number of years ago for a right hand drive (UK spec) Chrysler Grand Voyager adapted by Bekker. It's the most accessible car I have ever owned, and works well with my frontwheel drive Balder/Etac powerchairs which have the auto-lockdown feature. However, it is also by far and away the most expensive car I have ever owned, needing continual upkeep from the start (electrical, mechanical, bodywork - we've had all the issues!). It has alwawys been well looked after and has low mileage (45k miles in 11 years), but it eats money(!).

I'm not quite at the point of replacing it but have been keeping my eye out on what is available - and, like you, I've not been too impressed with what's on offer in the UK at the moment. Very small rear access vehicles or large vans, but nothing really inbetween - especially not side entrance ramps.

The offerings from Paravan (German company) look promising, but again for me the issue is that they are left hand drive :(

Cal

Paravan

https://www.paravan.de/en/home/

Ford Tourneo

Paravan Citroen Jumpy
https://www.paravan.de/en/product-solutions/driving-with-a-disability/paravan-citroen-jumpy/

Peugeot Expert

Lancia

Hyundai
Cal

Postby Burgerman » 08 Jan 2018, 21:05

I dont get the problem with left hand drive cars. After literally half an hour you will never again notice. And cheaper!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Cal » 08 Jan 2018, 22:09

John - Yes, I'm sure that's true - however, not for my circumstances. My PA's do the driving, and I ride as the upfront passenger. My work (and other places where I park) use parking/security barriers which require access cards/tickets to be inserted from the drivers side (right side of vehicle). If I had a left hand drive vehicle, I would be positioned on the right, and due to my muscle weakness would be unable to reach over, so my PA would have to get out of the car and walk around to insert the card each time (twice a day for work alone). This would get old very quickly!.

Also, with potentially several PA's driving my car for me, each PA would have to 'learn' driving a left hand drive vehicle .... not ideal! :roll:
Cal

Postby Burgerman » 08 Jan 2018, 22:19

Fair enough. I have no bother with manned barriers. They have to get cold, not me!

And at unmanned ones, I just wait till theres a huge que. And wait for some security/official to turn up. And then I tell them that theres many thousands of left drive cars and their car park/whatever is built wrong.

And the same at the mc donalds drive through. I either reverse through for hilarity, or make them walk.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Cal » 08 Jan 2018, 22:40

Burgerman wrote: ... And the same at the mc donalds drive through. I either reverse through for hilarity, or make them walk.

:lol: :lol:
Cal

Postby segreen » 09 Jan 2018, 10:41

Paravan looks interesting. Sirus Automotive in the UK are doing a Ford Tourneo conversion called Link. I saw it at a show. Excellent conversion, air bag suspension, ramp left hand side but not enough room for maneuvering inside in my Modified V4 chair. They said it was easier for front wheel drive chairs but I'm not convinced! Liked the car/conversion though!
segreen

Postby Burgerman » 09 Jan 2018, 11:05

Just reverse in. I would have another careful look at the colorado VW. Or the honda odyssey or toyota sienna van. https://www.mobilityworks.com/vehicles/side-entry/
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby segreen » 09 Jan 2018, 14:04

I am quite keen to see a Caravelle and see how it works with my chair. I'm coming to the conclusion that if a lowered floor Caravelle is not suitable then my only option is to have an import. Not sure who the best convertors are over there though, Braun, VMI, Rollex... From what I can make out and see, the Braun sounds and probably looks like a better thoughout conversion although I think you prefer Rollex John? Might need some imput from our Americans friends on the board to clarify that though! The new Chysler Pacifica is catching my eye but having never seen one I don't know if it is as good as it looks. I note what you say about the Honda and Toyota. I wouldn't rule them out either.

I note from my rough calculations that the difference in price if I was to buy the top of the range vehilce with current exchange rates it looks something like Chysler Pacifica for $70k that's around £51k plus shipping and hand controls say another £4k against a VW Caravelle at around £75-£80k. Big money. czy
segreen

Postby Burgerman » 09 Jan 2018, 17:26

From what I can make out and see, the Braun sounds and probably looks like a better thoughout conversion although I think you prefer Rollex John?

I think theres literally no difference. Although I saw a few braun with b pillar corrosion and not with rollx yet. Build and finish? Same.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby segreen » 10 Jan 2018, 12:23

My son's off to San Diago this week for a month so I've tasked him with visiting http://www.abilitycenter.com/ for an afternoon and checking the various convertors and different models out. Should be able to get a good feel for what's out there and what's suitable, including conversion quality etc... He's grown up with my vans and knows them inside out. I'll report his findings when he's back in February!
segreen

Postby segreen » 09 Feb 2018, 19:38

Had a demo for GM's VW Caravelle Colorado this week. Nice well built quality van and conversion. Don't like the underfloor cassette lift though. It works well, nice and quiet but it doesn't look right having a lift underneath the car.It also takes a lot longer to get in the van then using a ramp like in my Braun Entervan. Nice and roomy inside with plenty of room to turn around in but I found myself sitting off center from the steering wheel. I wouldn't mind but my chair is not a wide chair, its only 26 1/2 inches wide. The second problem I found with it is that the bulkhead for the lowered floor interferes with your foot plate and stops you getting close to the steering wheel. I found myself at arm's reach and although the steering wheel is telescopic, you still can't reach the dash controls without stretching. For me personally I think it was a nonstarter. You can't drive a vehicle where you do not sit directly behind the steering wheel and you also need to be able to comfortably reach things like the radio/satnav. It's a pity really because I really fancied a quality van. The only way I would be able to drive that vehicle would be to change chairs and have a chair that rises and lowers you. Looks like I am going to have to have a look at plan B. My son has just got back from San Diego and while out there visited Ability Center San Diego. The dealer/salesman went through all the different conversion companies and vehicles with him and we've come to the conclusion that our best bet is to buy a 12 month old Chrysler Voyager and ship it back to the UK. It will be half the price of a Caravelle and a lot cheaper than the new Chrysler Pacifica.

Steve
segreen

Postby Burgerman » 09 Feb 2018, 20:59

but I found myself sitting off center from the steering wheel. I wouldn't mind but my chair is not a wide chair, its only 26 1/2 inches wide. The second problem I found with it is that the bulkhead for the lowered floor interferes with your foot plate and stops you getting close to the steering wheel.

The exact things I found wrong. And I think mentioned. You would think they would fix those issues somehow. I and obviously others must have mentioned this. I told them the reason I wasnt buying one a decade back.

Yes the US or often cheaper canadian vans are a good way to go.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby segreen » 10 Feb 2018, 18:10

John, with your van an import does your SatNav work over here?
segreen

Postby Burgerman » 10 Feb 2018, 19:43

I bought my satnav here. So not sure. I think you just need the correct map area data. Or world data.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Cal » 19 Feb 2018, 21:26

Sirus Automotive Ford LiNK website now up and running:

https://sirusautomotive.co.uk/vehicles/ford-link/

It looks an interesting choice .... have a look at the gallery images - it just looks too small inside for manoeuvring? :thumbdown:

Also, prices starting from £39,995 :?
Cal

Postby Burgerman » 19 Feb 2018, 21:32

It may not be. Would need to test. But it is ugly and tiny.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Mr.Math » 20 Feb 2018, 02:19

I know you are all talking about vans, but does the UK have anything like the BraunAbility MXV (a modified Ford Explorer SUV) here in the USA? Are SUVs a thing in the UK like her in the States?

https://www.braunability.com/wheelchair-accessible-suv/
Mr.Math

Next

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's