How to ship a Powerchair bought from private seller on eBay?

No Commercial sellers please, unless of particular interest and with permission!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

How to ship a Powerchair bought from private seller on eBay?

Postby Scooterman » 22 Feb 2018, 15:36

NB: I've not bought a chair yet, but I know I'm not going to be lucky enough to 'find one just around the corner'.

Budget couriers want items packaged, and usually have a 15kg weight limit.

I was thinking of more of a 'man with a van' type delivery, who ferry unpackaged bulky items.

Any suggestions?
Scooterman

Re: How to ship a Powerchair bought from private seller on e

Postby greybeard » 22 Feb 2018, 16:46

Keep looking at the powerchair ads on eBay. Every now and then a man and van WC collection/delivery service pops up. You could try using eBay search to try likely word combinations for these. Most trade sellers offer delivery.
greybeard

Postby Scooterman » 22 Feb 2018, 17:06

Thank you, that’s good advice. I will keep on looking for the ‘right chair’ with a del option as well. I’m lucky in that I have I still have my manual chair and scooters SO I CAN get out and about. It’s not like I’m stuck indoors like I was before I got my scooters in particular.
Scooterman

Postby hank » 22 Feb 2018, 23:41

Any man with a electric tail lift transit type would pick you one up.
Quickie groove Brushless
BM2.5 clone
hank

Postby Scooterman » 23 Feb 2018, 01:03

hank wrote:Any man with a electric tail lift transit type would pick you one up.

Thanks. Someone recommended a company called http://www.anyvan.com? It would be worth paying the shipping for a private chair if it was a good buy.
Scooterman

Postby rustyjames » 23 Feb 2018, 14:45

I can highly recommend: uship.com . ,I used it several times for powerchairs and each time it was a positive experience. No mounting on pallets or anything, just have the chair in freewheel.
rustyjames

Postby greybeard » 23 Feb 2018, 15:25

Scooterman wrote:
hank wrote:Any man with a electric tail lift transit type would pick you one up.

Thanks. Someone recommended a company called http://www.anyvan.com? It would be worth paying the shipping for a private chair if it was a good buy.

Think only you can answer that question. Depends how much you want a particular chair and how much - in total - you are prepared to pay for it.

ADDED
Just realised you didn't actually ask a question ( my bad), but the answer is still applicable.
greybeard

Postby Scooterman » 24 Feb 2018, 00:59

rustyjames wrote:I can highly recommend: uship.com . ,I used it several times for powerchairs and each time it was a positive experience. No mounting on pallets or anything, just have the chair in freewheel.

Thank you for the suggestion. But I've done some googling and I don't think operate in the UK? I've never seen any of their vans on the roads, but perhaps they use unliveried vans?
Scooterman

Postby Scooterman » 24 Feb 2018, 01:01

greybeard wrote:Think only you can answer that question. Depends how much you want a particular chair and how much - in total - you are prepared to pay for it.

ADDED
Just realised you didn't actually ask a question ( my bad), but the answer is still applicable.

I do agree with you. Because it will be my first powerchair purchase it's tricky knowing how much to pay, especially if the sale is auction format (eBay). But I've been browsing eBay to try to get a feel for prices. Also if I purchase privately as well as factoring collection costs, there's the possible outlay for new batteries quite soon, as well changing the tyres if the chair comes with solid ones, or not so nice grey ones. I prefer black tyres and have black tyres on both scooters and manual wheelchair.
Scooterman

Postby rustyjames » 24 Feb 2018, 01:09

Scooterman wrote:
rustyjames wrote:I can highly recommend: uship.com . ,I used it several times for powerchairs and each time it was a positive experience. No mounting on pallets or anything, just have the chair in freewheel.

Thank you for the suggestion. But I've done some googling and I don't think operate in the UK? I've never seen any of their vans on the roads, but perhaps they use unliveried vans?

:oops: Sorry about that, for some reason I wasn't paying attention to your location.
rustyjames

Postby steves1977uk » 24 Feb 2018, 17:22

I've used Shiply in the past to have chairs delivered to my door from eBay. Had no issues with them.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Scooterman » 24 Feb 2018, 18:19

steves1977uk wrote:I've used Shiply in the past to have chairs delivered to my door from eBay. Had no issues with them.
Steve
Nice one! I shall have a google for them,
Scooterman

Postby Scooterman » 24 Feb 2018, 18:25

rustyjames wrote: :oops: Sorry about that, for some reason I wasn't paying attention to your location.
No worries! I did wonder if you assumed I was in the US. Although I have heard of uship.com along with another company called something like u-hal? Maybe they'll start up here in the future, afterall we've got Uber now.
Scooterman

Postby calabash » 09 Mar 2018, 20:20

I bought a chair quite a while ago but I found someone on ebay that had an ad for motorbike delivery, they made the arrangements for collecting it and delivered it to the door. They picked up everything and worked out a route and then picked the stuff up and delivered it, no idea of a name but could try and find out.
think it cost about £70 from midlands to Essex. They are/was on ebay, just need to look/search for delivery.....

PS: and they had a full size ramp!!
calabash

Postby Scooterman » 19 Mar 2018, 00:52

calabash wrote:I bought a chair quite a while ago but I found someone on ebay that had an ad for motorbike delivery, they made the arrangements for collecting it and delivered it to the door. They picked up everything and worked out a route and then picked the stuff up and delivered it, no idea of a name but could try and find out.
think it cost about £70 from midlands to Essex. They are/was on ebay, just need to look/search for delivery.....

PS: and they had a full size ramp!!
That is an excellent suggestion, I'd have never thought of that. But I saw your reply too late, I must have missed the notification :( . In the end I used Anyvan.com which wasn't cheap but they did have a van with tail lift. I quoted a chair weight of 140kg and they charged £125.
But next time I will remember motorcycle delivery :thumbup:
Scooterman

Postby Scooterman » 19 Mar 2018, 01:55

I forgot to say, shipping was 170 miles.
Scooterman

Return to Buy/Sell Mobility Equipment