G'day

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

G'day

Postby BillyT » 06 Mar 2018, 09:41

Hi!

My name is Brace Ostermann, I'm an Electrician by trade, now in my second year studying Engineering (Mechatronics).

I joined these forums looking for more information about electric wheelchair control systems as part of an extra curricula project.
BillyT

Re: G'day

Postby Burgerman » 06 Mar 2018, 09:47

What do you need to know?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby LROBBINS » 06 Mar 2018, 11:39

Welcome. I suggest that rather than the forum you start with the "parent" pages at wheelchairdriver.com. After you've absorbed what's there, the next place to go is the pinned threads at the top of the forum. I know, it's an awful lot to read, but at least skimming that stuff will give you a pretty solid picture of the range of things to deal with.
LROBBINS

Postby BillyT » 05 Apr 2018, 01:15

Thanks,
I have a Frontier dx5? at home hoping to convert the base into an autonomous platform to mount a collaborative robot onto.
From my preliminary research it seems the DXBus protocol hasn't been busted yet so i've bought a cheap 60A PWM Motor driver to experiment with which i'm still slowly tinkering with.
The chair came without tyres and needs a fair bit of modifying so i'll be busy for the next few months chipping away at it while we develop a small proof of concept prototype on arduino.
If you know of someone who has done something similar feel free to post me a link.
BillyT

Postby Burgerman » 05 Apr 2018, 01:31

i've bought a cheap 60A PWM Motor driver

Unless its got very well developed skid steer algo, which isnt likely the thing will not steer and have a mind of its own.

Also it better have motor current limiting and motor load compensation capability or it will be hopeless to use, and have inadequate torque or suddenly shoot off like a rocket... Those motors take around 200A at stall. There will be smoke!

You really do need the chairs control system and a high level programmer which is easy. Theres are various ways to make it drivable by RC or by messing around with the bus. Take a look over on the main forum.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself!