Smallest neatest side ramp drive from wheelcair van

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Smallest neatest side ramp drive from wheelcair van

Postby Burgerman » 12 Apr 2018, 22:18

That I have seen. 30 inch wide chairs, and the same height door at 55 inch as my chrysler, and 57 lowest inches once inside.

How they do this in such a "compact" little van beats me! Demo one will arrive on wednesday...
:clap 57 and 60mpg. But gutless at 120bhp... Deisel obviously.

youtu.be/5Dn1iLqxGVE
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Smallest neatest side ramp drive from wheelcair van

Postby Burgerman » 12 Apr 2018, 22:35

Latest version. Available now. Also in the US.
So should be available as a conversion there by someone.

youtu.be/L8rFpLV6UZc
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 12 Apr 2018, 23:08

And there are go faster rear and front bumpers, exhausts, 20 inch rims, etc. All easily available so it doesent look like you are driving a van. Now its small, but if I can get 60 to the gallon, easily get in and theres enough space etc I am going to have one. Easier to clean too. And likely a lot better built than the chryslers. But, space to get in, get behind the wheel is essential. Also theres a longer wheelbase one in the winter quarter available.

youtu.be/OF7fQVYR_ps
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby segreen » 13 Apr 2018, 10:07

Don't build your hopes up John... Like I said I struggled. I know I'm a lot taller then you but my feet bashed every builkhead. Having said all that I did like the tiny ramp and angle and the airbag lowering suspension.

Steve
segreen

Postby Burgerman » 13 Apr 2018, 15:13

Real question, could you pull up square to the wheel without a fight? I plan on reversing in, and turning 90 degrees to go forwards. I do that now.

Why the hell dont they do the slightly bigger one?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby segreen » 13 Apr 2018, 16:51

If I rember right (it was last year I tried it) you can get behind the steering wheel square and it was a nice van/conversion but it took half a dozen manouvers for me to line up. I thought about a left hand drive and reversing up. That would of been easy enough. They said they could supply a LH drive. It's a shame we don't have the choice like they do across the pond.
segreen

Postby Burgerman » 13 Apr 2018, 17:10

Well we actually have the uk, eu, as well as the US vehicles to choose from! To prove the point, you just bought one and I have one. And the pound keeps getting stronger. And now, with trumps tarrifs screwing up the dollar in the near future I see the nezt 12 months getting back towards 2 dollars to a pound like 2007 when I bought the last van for half the UK price!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby segreen » 14 Apr 2018, 14:12

You miss the point John. I don't want to buy from the US or Europe. It's a big risk. Your buying something you've never seen and the first time you get to try it you it you might find it's not suitable or doesn't work for you for whatever reason. It's a gamble and only for the brave. Then there's the extra cost such as shipping and the IVA test which adds thousand's to the cost. All that is before you have hand controls fitted. If we had dealerships over here like they do in the US where you can see Chrysler, Dodge, Toyota, Honda and Ford mini-vans all lined up with the different conversions from the likes of BraunAbility, VMI, Rollx, AMS etc showing side entry, infloor ramps, fold-out ramps, rear entry ramps etc plus the different full size vans and SUV's all at one location then we'd have a decent choice. I'd much rather try one before I bought one. Our choice over here is very limited. Side entry with full lowered floor is just models that I know of, VW Caravelle or the small Ford Connect. Both vehicle were hopeless for me. Paravan in Europe. Their Caravelle is no didderent to ours and their Mercedes and Peugeot vans are also not suitable. If you want a small van such as the VW Caddy, Citroen Berlingo etc and don't mind rear entry then we've got an abundance of them but they're tiny, no back bench and no boot. I still say we don't have a lot of choice for driving from the chair. Maybe that's because there's not many of us drive from a chair? Who knows...

Steve
segreen

Postby Burgerman » 15 Apr 2018, 15:02

You miss the point John. I don't want to buy from the US or Europe. It's a big risk. Your buying something you've never seen and the first time you get to try it you it you might find it's not suitable or doesn't work for you for whatever reason. It's a gamble and only for the brave. Then there's the extra cost such as shipping and the IVA test which adds thousand's to the cost.

Yes it can be, but only if you either import something you havent seen in the UK alreaady. The extra cost thouh is arguably negligable when the vehicle is half the price! Yes, hand controls (can be and should be pre installed in the US as can a tie down. All pre wired etc but not drilled to trhe floor intil you decide exanctly where, and how high. That way those 2 things are also half price.

So its still probably the best option unless you are made of money.

I am likely to order that van iun autumn, new 2w019 version, that you consider too small. As long as I can reverse in, turn 90, and fit behind the wheel easily. Thats going to be 43K. But easier to wash, park, cheaper on fuel. 60mph? But I may add it to an equity release on my house. Or in the end the gov will take it from me (and you) towards care costs regardless!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 15 Apr 2018, 22:35

Also going to take another look at the VW caravelle drive from, side door, from GM, the Colarado.

Then probably buy in the US. I am even considering a truck like the F150!

https://www.braunability.com/blog/2016/ ... d-to-know/
And... https://www.braunability.com/wheelchair-accessible-suv/ MXV

Same price as a UK loaded ford/tourneo link drive from:
https://sirusautomotive.co.uk/new-stock ... talicious/
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 18 Apr 2018, 16:37

Right. Checked out the tiny jewel like Ford Connect side ramp van.

Sirus, as shown above. I am used to the bigger chryslers. And my body and wheelchairs are rear drive and full sized :oops:

The good. Neat conversion, 20k cheaper than most drive from side door conversions like the Caravelle, for eg. Van goes super low, and the ramp is super short!
The bad, wont work wiuth a rear drive full sized powerchair, and I couldnt get square on to the steering wheel, or close enough.

I can get in, and I struggle to turn to get to the driving position. Worse my seat isnt high. 2 inches lower than the Salsa R2 for eg. Yet the steering wheel is too low. This is only a 4 inch floor drip. It may work well for a smaller or mid drive chair. Or one with a lower seat.

So if you are small, use a mid drive chair, or manual, it may be a good choice for you. But not for me.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's