PINNED - PROGRAMMING - Make it steer! R-Net + others

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

PINNED - PROGRAMMING - Make it steer! R-Net + others

Postby Burgerman » 02 Jul 2018, 20:19

So you want a chair that drives and steers correctly? NO stock chairs do. My advice!

IMPORTANT. Preliminary basic 101.
If you want to re-program a chair to steer and drive accurately and naturally with the sort of easy control that is just transparent, you never even think about control, then the following preliminary must be true also. Because after correct programming the joystick will change from a pudding stirrer that you just mash about and wait and hope, to a fully proportional control with no turning (or turn stop) delays. The chair will turn when told, and stop turning when told, at the exact rate and time you decide by exactly how much stick you give it. If you have poor hand control, we will come to that later. With R-Net some of this can be done with Dealer level tools that your tech will have. But not all, and with settings limits/walls. So ideally you will need OEM level access.

So:
1. It HELPS if you have good hand and finger movement, and good eye / hand coordination.

2. Its ESSENTIAL that the joystick is mounted SOLIDLY with no wobbles or movement in relation to the chair.

3. Its also essential that the joystick is positioned correctly. Most are way too low, and too outboard. ***

*** It needs to be slightly inboard of the chair arm centreline, not too much reach, and the body of the joystick housing needs to be slightly higher than the arm top. So that your hand and at least the two (or three) lower fingers and part of the hand can CUP the outer side of the Joystick body. IN COMFORT! While leaving your stablised hands thumb and forefinger to operate the joystick.

READ THIS POST!!! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8954&p=140171#p140171

To achieve this may need a little attention from a tech with a drill, a few spacers, some reconfiguration of the arm, a better swingaway as most are frankly crap and also wobble, but its IMPORTANT! Dont allow the tech to tell you its OK. Its not! It must be correct. You just cannot drive a chair thats correctly programmed unless your hand can cup the solidly mounted, correctly positioned joystick in comfort. What will NEVER work is resting your arm on the chairs arm top, and just holding the joystick with your fingers -- which I see all the time.

More soon. You can post here, but for now, I will delete it, to add the next parts in order when ready. :fencing

Watch HAND POSITION and FINGERS only in video.
http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/control.mp4

JOYSTICK POSITION
Inboard, higher than arm.

Buy and convert to R-Net, cheap! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8857
Attachments
810_2339.JPG
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: PROGRAMMING how to make it steer! R-Net and others

Postby Burgerman » 02 Jul 2018, 23:14

BASIC PROGRAMMING TO MAKE IT STEER!!!

First, do the above!!! It matters once programmed.

These are not actually my own settings, but are a tamed, steady, very controllable version which will allow accurate steering control, and will work from 2mph up to maximum speed of 6 or 8mph. It will make your chair work properly and steer properly for the first time ever. First a couple of screenshots. You may do well to try these image settings below as your starting point. EXACTLY as shown.

Note: I only have 2 profiles enabled. And I use only profile 2.
Profile 1 is just for moving an EMPTY chair around.

You can have as many as you wish. But one is plenty if set up correctly! Its all thats required, or wanted.. You can have more, but you will wonder what they are for.

NOTE ALSO: You or your tech, will be unlikely to be able to set many of these settings to these levels, with a DEALER level programmer. Due to hidden walls being set up. So in this case you will need to use an OEM level tool, to set all the "walls" to either 100% or 0% using the OEM software, in the OEM, ABS section shown in the image below.

So COPY these settings below first, to remove the safety nazi walls...
That then in turn allows you to set the turn acceleration/deceleration settings to a high enough figure so it responds in what feels like real time.

settings.gif

Remember that many of these are ball park starting figures and are "safe" test figures. Copy the speed setting figures in the top image (the ones in profile 2) to your system. These are then to be updated to your choosen figures later if needed. These are MY figures, they work to give a very linear and easy to drive accurate chair. At indoor speeds when set to slow. And outdoor speeds when set to fast. You only need this one profile.

(My profile 1 is intended as a really slow indoor only setting for people moving an EMPTY chair. You can copy that too if you want this)

YOUR changes to this, may include for e.g: if it accelerates too fast, and set to 70 it might, then reduce Forward Minimum and Forward Maximum Acceleration levels. But make ONE change at a time! And test that alone until its how YOU want it. If its too jerky at very small stick movements, or very slow speeds, reduce TORQUE till it isnt. But you dont want this set too low. Its a compromise.

I will explain what each setting does here in detail. Next post!
Attachments
Image2.gif
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: PINNED - PROGRAMMING how to make it steer! R-Net and oth

Postby Burgerman » 20 Jul 2018, 11:41

IF you want the r-net programs help to work, in anything after win XP you need to read this fix.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9052
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: PINNED - PROGRAMMING - Make it steer! R-Net + others

Postby biscuit » 10 Aug 2018, 15:19

Programming my VR2. Here are some of the defaults that I got the chair with. I have since changed some settings to what is shown in the post above, but some I can't figure out and others, towards the end of the list, just look dodgy to me... It's a rwd chair, after all. And after I'd made the turn speed settings higher, it was only a tiny bit better.

MY VR2 DEFAULTS
SPEED:
acceleration 38
deceleration 35
turn acceleration 32
turn deceleration 30
forward speed (%) 100 max
30 min
reverse speed (%) 45 max
20 min
turning speed (%) 23 max
13 min
power (%) 100
number of drive profiles 0
minimum acceleration (%) 50
minimum deceleration (%) 50
minimum turn acceleration (%) 50
minimum turn deceleration (%) 50
ACTUATOR SETTINGS: I am ignoring these for now
OPERATION SETTINGS:
sleep timer (minutes) 0
joystick throw
94 forward (%)
100 reverse (%)
100 left (%)
100 right (%)
invert joystick off
steer correction 6
switch bleep volume 10
speed adjustment while driving on
service timer 0
BATTERY SETTINGS: I am ignoring for now
INHIBIT SETTINGS: ignoring
ACTUATOR CHANNELS - 2 UP & 2 DOWN: I am ignoring
INHIBIT ALARMS: I am ignoring. All 3 are off
GENERAL SETTINGS:
fast brake rate 80
soft stop rate 70
soft reverse deceleration rate (%) 50
reverse driving alarm off
brake disconnected alarm off
K10 programming restriction off
lock function enabled on
brake fault detect on
brake voltage 12V
output voltage (deci-Volts) 225
front wheel drive type 1 the alternative is 2
front wheel drive rate 20
FWD acceleration limit 0
advanced electronic stability off
AES rate 52
MOTOR SETTINGS:
boost drive current (Amps) 70
current limit max. (Amps) 70
boost current time (seconds) 1
current foldback threshold (Amps) 45
current foldback time (seconds) 60
current foldback level (%) 37
current foldback temperature (°C) 60
current limit min (Amps) 26
motor compensation (milli-Ohms) 65
invert M1 direction on
invert M2 direction on
motor swap on
demand clipping (R-net) off
torque (%) 55
tremor damping (%) 0
turning torque (%) 0
joystick stationary time (mins) 10
joystick stationary range 20
motor stall timeout (seconds) 0
LIGHTS SETTINGS: 12V and I am ignoring

Some terms I don't understand, e.g. joystick throw, foldback.
The motor settings look crazy to me. Are they?
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 10 Aug 2018, 15:49

Do you have normal hand control and dexterity and a CORRECTLY positioned controller? As in can and do you hold the joystick like this:
Watch my HAND only!

//////////////////////////////////

And:

acceleration 38 Mines set to 100 as I like to go! And wheelie.
deceleration 35 (set it lower, whatever feels best) Set too high abd you fall out of the chair when you release the stick. Lower is always better here for me. Back stick stops it fast regardless.
turn acceleration 32 (MUST BE 100 if you want any control)
turn deceleration 30 (MUST BE 100 as above...)

forward speed (%) 100 max
30 min the speed it goes when set to its slowest setting at fill stick
reverse speed (%) 45 max 30
20 min the speed it goes backwards when set to its slowest setting at fill stick
turning speed (%) 23 max 30 to 45 is best usually. How fast the chair rotates on the spot if watched from above.
13 min 20? the speed it turns, when set to lowest speed.
power (%) 100 set it lower if for an old person or child to stop them damaging furniture etc but it hinders everythay use...
number of drive profiles 0 (same as one. but you only need 1)
minimum acceleration (%) 100 How fast it accelerates to the lowest forward speed when set to slow - dont set too low. Since you are only accelerating to about 1mph...
minimum deceleration (%) 30 OR WHATEVER FEELS BEST. How fast it slows down to a stop from the slowest speed setting.
minimum turn acceleration (%) 50 100!! Or its steering is delayed at the slow speed settings.
minimum turn deceleration (%) 50 100!! As above. only this stops it from continuing to turn after you told it to stop. Set very high...

ACTUATOR SETTINGS: I am ignoring these for now GOOD

OPERATION SETTINGS:
sleep timer (minutes) 0
joystick throw
94 forward (%) Means that you get max speed just before max stick, 100 is normal
100 reverse (%)
100 left (%)
100 right (%)
invert joystick off
steer correction 6 (SHOULD BE ZERO unless a faulty motor)
switch bleep volume 10
speed adjustment while driving on
service timer 0

BATTERY SETTINGS: I am ignoring for now
INHIBIT SETTINGS: ignoring
ACTUATOR CHANNELS - 2 UP & 2 DOWN: I am ignoring
INHIBIT ALARMS: I am ignoring. All 3 are off

GENERAL SETTINGS:
fast brake rate 80 (back stick stopping speed. This is about right)
soft stop rate 70 (How fast it stops if turned off or a bad connection etc...)
soft reverse deceleration rate (%) 50 (same in reverse)
reverse driving alarm off (will drive you mental)
brake disconnected alarm off tells you a brake has failed, not needed
K10 programming restriction off no idea
lock function enabled on allows you to lock the chair
brake fault detect on as above with error and stop
brake voltage 12V if your brake is 24v you can set that here. Dont set this wrong as its expensive!
output voltage (deci-Volts) 225 this shows 22.5V max sent to motors. Allows headroom for steering and prevents speeding up on downhill, etc. Set to 25v with lithium and gain some speed.
front wheel drive type 1 the alternative is 2 it reduces turn speed as forward speed increases.
front wheel drive rate 20 (set to 0 for no turn rate reduction at max speed, but 20 is low anyway I doubt you will notice. If front drive set it high so it can fail at attempting to prevent it fishtailing or swapping ends at speed.)
FWD acceleration limit 0 slows down rapid acceleration if turning as front drive will spin out of control. Dont buy front drive!
advanced electronic stability off

AES rate 52 no idea

MOTOR SETTINGS:
boost drive current (Amps) 70 (set to maximum it allows. 70 is a weedy controller! These controllers can be up to 90A if you bought the right one)
current limit max. (Amps) 70 (Set as high as it allows... this is the non boosted cont current)
boost current time (seconds) 1 set 1 to 10 if it lets you. More amps boost for longer time
current foldback threshold (Amps) 45 the point where the protection circuitry starts counting
current foldback time (seconds) 60 how long it allows the above current before ramping back power (amps)
current foldback level (%) 37 the amount it ramps back to allow motors and controllers to survive abuse.
current foldback temperature (°C) 60 it also rolls back power at this temperature
current limit min (Amps) 26 to this level till it cools below 60C or whatever you set.
motor compensation (milli-Ohms) 65 This must match motors, have you changed the controller or motors? If not dont touch it...
invert M1 direction on same as swapping motor cable plarity.
invert M2 direction on same as swapping motor cable plarity.
motor swap on same as swapping motor cables. Makes left and right reversed...
demand clipping (R-net) off no idea
torque (%) 55 This adds extra motor compensation at small stick movements. Helps start a turn or climb a threshold. adding a little more may help if you have that problem, but will make the chair jumpy.
tremor damping (%) 0 this means the chair is smoother and doesent react to rapid stick movements and so feels delayed. Smoothes control if you have shaky hands
turning torque (%) 0 This does the same as torque, but ONLY on turning, not back or forwards
joystick stationary time (mins) 10 before it sleeps if set???
joystick stationary range 20 for above, means if you move it a little it will still sleep.
motor stall timeout (seconds) 0 (not sure if 0 is off. But 30 secs is normal)

LIGHTS SETTINGS: 12V and I am ignoring set to 24 and blow all your light bulbs.

Some terms I don't understand, e.g. joystick throw, foldback.
The motor settings look crazy to me. Are they?

No they are correct. Except where I commented.
Temperature foldback is set here to reduce power at 60 degrees centigrade.
By the amount shown.
Stall current also reduces power after 60 secs above 45A.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby hobie1dog » 11 Aug 2018, 04:00

Thanks for sharing this with us. I recently purchased a cable and was needing this specifically for programming my VR2 controller. Perfect. :clap:
Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe-nowhere else could things be more screwed up.

Invacare M61
Quickie S636- 3.00-4 tires, Chevy seat
hobie1dog

Postby Burgerman » 11 Aug 2018, 07:00

Its not a set of instructions, its a best guess starting point. You must test carefully. Starting with low speed.

Remember I have no VR2 here. Also updated that list...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 11 Aug 2018, 07:35

Don't start with my settings that I put up, hobie1dog! They will make your chair jump around like a rabbit, as mine does! I'm going to put in proper settings.
First thing to do, save the settings you got on your chair to start with. And don't write over that file! Then you have something usable if the new settings are bad.
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 11 Aug 2018, 07:54

Jumping around like a rabit sounds like motor compensation too high, or incorrect hand technique/controller positioning and rigidity.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 11 Aug 2018, 07:54

Today I am going to fight with it some more and hopefully come up with something better, which I'll put up on the board. Really, I still believe they have programmed the motors so it thinks it's a fwd chair or something. That motor swap ON looks like a bad setting to me ... Would need lots of other settings changed to make it steerable. I tried with it off and crashed into the fridge yesterday. (Low speed testing only!) I think my chair had been set to "crazy" rather than "default" when I got it, though the seller says he'd reset it to default.
biscuit

Postby woodygb » 11 Aug 2018, 09:46

Biscuit ...Can you read the PGDT "Help" files? ... If not try downloading this.

winhlp32win10.zip
(171.41 KiB) Downloaded 1309 times

Unzip then Run "Install" as Administrator ...to do this you Right Click on "Install" and choose Run as Administrator.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby biscuit » 11 Aug 2018, 10:28

Thank you Woody! I will download that file ASAP as all the help buttons were dead. (As part of my 1001 little pre-tasks for programming, I've had to improve my garage WiFi :dance so that should help with downloading!)
biscuit

Postby snaker » 11 Aug 2018, 10:39

@biscuit: your chair was set default to a rabbit. Mine was worse, it had been set to a drunken horse :cussing
snaker

Postby biscuit » 11 Aug 2018, 10:46

Burgerman I doubt it's hand positioning as my Vienna hand position is exactly the same except it is a looser fit (with totally wobbly arms) and your hand position that I watched looks very uncomfortable for me, I prefer not to move my hand at all, but to hold the pod whatever position it's fallen into! So I'm going to look at motor compensation as a possible cause.
biscuit

Postby biscuit » 11 Aug 2018, 10:49

Hehehe snaker, mine has some horse in it as well, it tries to buck me off into the ditch by the roadside if it can.
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 11 Aug 2018, 11:06

Motor Load Compensation. This one is important!
RELATED
* The "Torque" setting INCREASES this compensation, around the first few feet of movement or the start of a turn ONLY.
* The "Turning torque" setting increases this compensation level at low speeds but ONLY on the left or right commands.

Motor load compensation is a system that looks at the amount of current (amps) a motor pulls, in response to the joystick. And it then adds more to what it sees. A motor that is stalled, say when trying to zero turn or fight a caster facing the wrong way naturally pulls more amps than one that isnt loaded up. Motor load compensation sees this, and adds some more. To help the loaded motor. So that the chair responds to your command and doesent get stuck on say a turn or threshold. It also adds extra braking as you run down a hill or decelerate. As it works in reverse too.

So:

Setting Motor load compensation too low results in a soft and sluggish chair. With little torque. Maybe wont turn on the spot or does nothing at full turn when set to low speeds. Want to know how it feels with no compensation? Set it to say 10mOhm. That will give a feel as to what it actually does once you put it back how it was!

Motor compensation set too high results in a chair that is jumpy, and iverly touchy at small stick movements. And if set too high results in a full power runaway that can spin or drive into walls and people completely out of the users control. So add small amounts at a time if testing. Say 5mOhm at once. If it seems to do little or nothing then dont be tempted to add huge amounts in one go!

When its correct you will know, as it will be powerful but smooth. To test: As you increase it, the chair becomes more responsive at some point. And you will notice! When it becomes jumpy you went too far. So now reduce it until its still got power and torque but isnt jumpy and over sensitive.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 11 Aug 2018, 12:58

@woody: Pants! This is just typical of a computer, I've been fiddling around for hours to get to a stage where it can download (so much for my 1001 previous tasks) and now it's not installing. I love my phone! PCs suck. I'll continue my attempts later as I think (maybe) it has downloaded the files, but meanwhile I will be programming my chair without the help links.
biscuit

Postby biscuit » 11 Aug 2018, 13:09

It was just doing that to be annoying...it has installed now and my help files are in place. Whew.
biscuit

Postby woodygb » 11 Aug 2018, 13:13

:thumbup:
Like everything it's a learning curve and computers can be a P.I.T.A until you understand their idiosyncrasies.

B.T.W ...Your Help files were always present... it's just that Microsoft decided in their "wisdom" to remove/alter the ability of this and other Windows versions to actually read them! ..hence the need for this work around.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 11 Aug 2018, 18:08

Restoring the olde worlde help system is one of the first fixes I do on windows 10. After getting rid of all the phone home, metro app garbage, cortana, auto update without permision and about 50 servises running that we dont need, and de-dummifying windows to show all files, all extensions etc. And switching off restore bullshit, and its anti virus etc. YAnd 101 other things. You end up with a clean lean operating system for free, that just sits and err operates when you tell it. After about 14 hours fight. :fencing
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 11 Aug 2018, 18:12

It was the motor compensation. I set it to zero - now the chair isn't jumping around. The rest of the settings that you suggested above, Burgerman, I used your suggestions or I left them. Many thanks! I'll tweak some of them in the future no doubt.
And the garage is a lot nicer to work in now, too - my 1001 tasks before I could programme are paying off!
biscuit

Postby steves1977uk » 11 Aug 2018, 18:29

biscuit wrote:It was the motor compensation. I set it to zero - now the chair isn't jumping around.

If you've set motor comp to zero then I'm surprised the chair actually moves! czy This value should be set to around 70-110 for 2-pole motors and 30-45 for 4-pole. I think you'll find your chair will have no oomph.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 11 Aug 2018, 18:31

You cant LEAVE it at zero. You must increase it in small steps untill some of that jumpy stuff comes back and you can just detect it or it will be useless to drive. It needs that motor compensation to add torque in the correct amounts to keep the vhair straight, help with thresholds, help with deceleration, etc. As you will see.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 11 Aug 2018, 19:58

At 65, where iirc it was originally, it couldn't manage the 1/2 inch back door threshold step. Though it was skittish whenever I touched the joystick. It went down 5milliOhms at a time. At 5 it was still jumpy. At 0 it was not jumpy. But I didn't go out in the chair at all, I just lurched around the garage in it until I'd reduced it to zero.
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 11 Aug 2018, 20:07

Then the way you are controling the joystick, or you hand dexterity, or the position of the joystick sounds like its actually the problem. Tell me you dont rest your arm on the chair arm, and just hold the stick?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 11 Aug 2018, 21:07

Yes and no. I'll try other settings on Monday. Something in the settings must be suitable! I don't have a problem with my Vienna. Could be acceleration, as I don't touch the tip end of the js, so need hardly any movement on it.
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 12 Aug 2018, 02:12

If you program a chair to properly, instantly, and proportionally react to the stick, then technique is everything. If you are doing what I think you are, like most others also do, theres no way on earth that you can ever control the chair without thinking its jumpy... Its not. Its doing what the stick tells it, when you tell it.

But by holding it how you do, your arm moves in relation to the pod as you accelerate with pulls it back again, which pushes it forwards again, rinse and repeat... So you are commanding the jumps! You want control, you must have the correct holding technique.

Imagine drawing a neat square on a sheet of paper mounted on a clipboard. You are a passenger in a car on a very bumpy road.
You have 2 methods.
1. You hold only the pen end with your fingers and the page is fixed to the car.
2. You hold the pen properly, and place your hand down on the page for stability as normal.

Which gives a good square? And which is nearly impossible?

//////////////////

Repeated from post 1 since I cannot stress how important this is!!!

IMPORTANT. Preliminary basic 101.
If you want to re-program a chair to steer and drive accurately and naturally with the sort of easy control that is just transparent, you never even think about control, then the following preliminary must be true also. Because after correct programming the joystick will change from a pudding stirrer that you just mash about and wait and hope, to a fully proportional control with no turning (or turn stop) delays. The chair will turn when told, and stop turning when told, at the exact rate and time you decide by exactly how much stick you give it. If you have poor hand control, we will come to that later. With R-Net some of this can be done with Dealer level tools that your tech will have. But not all, and with settings limits/walls. So ideally you will need OEM level access.

So:
1. It HELPS if you have good hand and finger movement, and good eye / hand coordination.

2. Its ESSENTIAL that the joystick is mounted SOLIDLY with no wobbles or movement in relation to the chair.

3. Its also essential that the joystick is positioned correctly. Most are way too low, and too outboard. ***

*** It needs to be slightly inboard of the chair arm centre-line, not too much reach, and the body of the joystick housing needs to be slightly higher than the arm top. So that your hand and at least the two (or three) lower fingers and part of the hand can CUP the outer side of the Joystick body. IN COMFORT! While leaving your stablised hands thumb and forefinger to operate the joystick.

To achieve this may need a little attention from a tech with a drill, a few spacers, some reconfiguration of the arm, a better swingaway as most are frankly crap and also wobble, but its IMPORTANT! Dont allow the tech to tell you its OK. Its not! It must be correct. You just cannot drive a chair thats correctly programmed unless your hand can cup the solidly mounted, correctly positioned joystick in comfort. What will NEVER work is resting your arm on the chairs arm top, and just holding the joystick with your fingers -- which I see all the time.

IT MATTERS!!!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 12 Aug 2018, 02:42

A RC heli isnt a chair. But once programmed to be linear and accurate much the same applies. The heli needs absolute precision to the mm much of the time. To get this accuracy he fas his hands on the RC transmitter at all times as the reference for the position of the stick(s).

Watch his thumbs. He would not be able to do this by resting his arms on a chair arm.

Try it with a computer mouse. You MUST have your hand on the desk to get any accuraccy. When you add the actual movement of the chair it becomes even more important.

7 year old justins hands and fingers are tightly holding the transmitter so he knows exactly where he moves the sticks too. Watch. You must be just as precise. MM PERFECT! You need the palm and the fingers you are not using to rest/hold the joystick housing for a reference position.

youtu.be/JHJs1gBLiuQ
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby hank » 19 Aug 2018, 18:31

John Rnet 120 PM settings to wheelie from stand still as shown.
does maximum forward acceleration need to be 100 not 70
and minimum forward acceleration not 60 as your guide setting shown.
Quickie groove Brushless
BM2.5 clone
hank

Postby Burgerman » 19 Aug 2018, 18:55

Thats a best guess starting point. ALL of those settings are. Set it to whatever you prefer. Mines set to 100. But most people cant handle that. And be careful. 100 is not the same on dynamic, PG pilot/VR2 or R-Net. Because even 100 has some delay. And that delay is different on different systems. So increase in stages, till happy.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Next

Return to Everything Powerchair