What is this part called ?

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

What is this part called ?

Postby Arae83 » 16 Sep 2018, 22:09

PicsArt_09-16-02.06.03.jpg

I need to know what this is called so I can find one to replace it.
Arae83

Re: What is this part called ?

Postby woodygb » 16 Sep 2018, 23:13

It looks like an Anderson connector.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=SINGL ... 80&bih=654
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 16 Sep 2018, 23:18

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 16 Sep 2018, 23:56

Arae83 wrote:
PicsArt_09-16-02.06.03.jpg

I need to know what this is called so I can find one to replace it.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8270&p=125579#p125579
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby flagman1776 » 17 Sep 2018, 15:38

You've probably figured out the grey/black square piece is a mount for the 4 Anderson connectors. The red connector body is damaged, chewed up, probably in a failed attempt to disassemble it. There's also an extra metal appearing piece stuck in there which is likely the contact from the mating connector which needs repair too.
The square mount needs to be removed from the chair. The Anderson connectors are usually held in place with a pin or screw. Once you have the individual Anderson connector free, you are supposed to be able to free the contact by using a small tool like a jewler's screw driver, to depress the flat spring retainer under the contact. (You can see the flat springs in the unused white connectors.) Get replacement parts & study how they go together... before you start.
This is all repairable with new parts. The good news is the parts are readily & inexpensvely available & you don't need to buy through a mobility vendor.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby woodygb » 17 Sep 2018, 16:13

The connector assembly appears to be for a motor.... RED & BLACK = Motor power... thus the White Anderson's will be Brake and they just look ( from the photo ) that they empty of any contacts.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby dewaj » 17 Sep 2018, 17:34

The pins are in the connectors. They're hard to see because of the contrast and angle. It looks like someone was trying to do a "repair" of some sort on the red connector. Perhaps the pin broke and someone stuffed some copper bits into the housing to get it to work. Regardless, that red housing and it's pin have to be changed out. Pins are generally not repairable. Best be done by someone well-experienced and with the correct tools else it'll quickly fail again. It might be preferable to replace the entire assembly, if it's replaceable, with a factory part just to ensure it is properly done.
dewaj

Postby LROBBINS » 17 Sep 2018, 18:42

Do remember to disconnect the batteries before working on this! There's a lot of information in this forum and the parent pages on how to work with Anderson connectors - the Power Pole series works the same way as the SB series, just have different shell shapes. There are also Chinese copies available from places like Hobby King that seem to me to be just as durable as the originals.
LROBBINS

Postby ex-Gooserider » 18 Sep 2018, 00:22

It is a seriously fried Anderson connector block... If it is a motor connector, which is what it looks like, it is probably using the smallest size 15/30/45A Power-Pole connectors.... They have three different current ratings depending on pin types used in the shells. The pin is picked based on the size wire that it is being used with... The shells are the same other than coming in multiple colors.

(There are other 'families' of Power-Pole with larger shells and higher power ratings, the PP-75 series uses the same pins as the SB-50 double or triple pole connectors. There are even larger families but we basically don't use them on our chairs)

MOST wheelchair motors use AWG 10 or 12 wire for the motor power (the red and black shells) and AWG 18 for the brake wires (or the metric equivalents) AWG 10 wire uses the 45A pins, AWG 12-14 uses the 30A pins, and smaller than AWG 16 use the 15A pins.

The 15A pins are pretty small and aren't as obvious when stuffed into the shells, looking closely at the photos it looks like they are in the white shells, which is appropriate.

The shells are individual units, one shell per pin....

The shells have little dove-tail extrusions and grooves that are designed to let the shells be locked together, optionally you can lock the blocks together by sliding split pins into the holes created when you slide the shells together. Anderson also makes accessory brackets and holders that can hold the assembled blocks these are fancy, but not all that essential...

Based on the pictures, I would absolutely replace the red shell and pin, AND the mating shell and pin that it plugs into... I'd be strongly inclined to replace the black shells and pins as well... More importantly, BEFORE I replace any parts, I'd want to figure out WHY the connector overheated in the first place.... I'd be looking especially at the wires and connections between the wires and pins for any signs of corrosion, or broken strands so that you aren't using all the wire that you should be...

I will disagree with Lenny, in that as far as I'm concerned there are serious subtle problems with the imitation Andersons - it is well worth spending the relatively small amount extra to get the REAL Andersons...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Return to Everything Powerchair