windows

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

windows

Postby Burgerman » 20 Aug 2018, 10:22

wastes a lot of space hanging onto a bunch of updates already applied. So I used to stop services, delete them, and restart manually to get rid. But now use this simple bat file.

Save this, in notepad, as cleanup.bat and run from your desktop by right-clicking, and choose "run as administrator"... Quick, safe deletes old junk.

Save up to a gigabyte of old update garbage and associated locked files.
Any reasonably modern windows version.

Code: Select all
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
net stop cryptSvc
net stop msiserver

erase /F /S /Q c:\windows\softwaredistribution\*.*
rmdir /S /Q c:\windows\softwaredistribution
erase /F /S /Q c:\windows\System32\catroot2\*.*

net start wuauserv
net start bits
net start cryptSvc
net start msiserver
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: windows

Postby zagam » 28 Sep 2018, 03:39

Some medical practitioners hold the opinion that Windows users are a danger to themselves and others.
hanged

Sedated, put in a diaper, strapped down and then an NG tube inserted to silence the Micro-Speak.

The department Defense in Australia still uses Windows XP SP2, but in QEMU KVM so that there is no real networking. They hook the IPC and ODBC (for O.R.A.C.L.E. on GNU/Linux) traffic and validate it. Any invalid traffic is dropped. Micro-Soft really fucked up SP2 as they fixed more than they broke. The crappy NATO apps are Windows so Defense requires documentation of protocols and back porting to Windows XP SP2. Each app has one VM, these are stitched together in VDI that the user sees.
O.R.A.C.L.E.: One Rich Arsehole Called Larry Ellison.
(From the FBI via the NSA. Who says they Never Say Anything?)

The correct pronunciation is "wingdowse labptop" as said by the retards used in the Micro-Soft ads.

I left FSH run by Serco where they have Windows 7 machines none of which work and went to St John of God where they use Macs that are working.

I grew up with programmable computers rather than PeeCees. Started with FØRTRAN on the Cyber 70 model 72. Now use GNU/Linux or Unix and C. Anything C++ and Java can do C can do better. Loads of assembler (6502, 8035, 8085, 680X0) on way.
cheers
zagam

Postby steves1977uk » 28 Sep 2018, 15:41

There's nothing wrong with Windows itself, its a PEBKAC issue! :fencing

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 28 Sep 2018, 23:29

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby zagam » 01 Oct 2018, 03:46

Burgerman wrote:Image

Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair with the many snuff movie stars at MicroSoft. Now that is a movie I would watch and enjoy.

Windows is not an OS it is a monitor with a GDI. File IO will fail silently, an allocation is not checked so integers can be polluted, GDI pollutes floating point results. MeS-WoRd will segfault on Mac OS X as allocation is checked by an OS.

You can write a POSIX write(3) wrapper to _write, _tell, _commit, _lseek, _read, compare, repeat for single process use only, but better to get a computer or put an OS on PeeCee. The OS ensures that the write(2) is atomic.

Windows lacks the fork(2) and threads share memory so encounter locks so added code complexity gives no speed up. Sane Windows programs (if there is such a thing) are single threaded.

IBM i is an OS as the RDBMS is behind the TIMI hypervisor so can function as a file system.

IBM z is an OS where RDBMS sits of top of files and groups it shots with CICS. (I don't use or care for RDBMS.)

Unix is an OS where you use files with look(1), join(1), sort(1), etc. with text/tab-separated-values.
zagam

Postby Burgerman » 01 Oct 2018, 10:08

But it works great.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby LROBBINS » 01 Oct 2018, 12:12

But it works great.
As long as everyone who writes Windows-dependent programs (including hardware drivers) keeps spending hours and hours and hours patching things to make up for the screwups that arrive with every update. Roboteq has had to do this multiple times for their products, and I have to do this for mine. My latest battle of this sort was with a Windows update causing Rachi's communications screen, which should always be zoomed to margin width inside a full-screen WordPerfect window, to at odd intervals go to a smaller, hard to read zoom. I had to add a few lines of code to, every ten minutes, return it to the proper zoom, and then, when it would shift sideways, add some Windows DLL calls to re-center it. This is a total waste of my time to fix something that's been working correctly for years - from early Windows, through XP, 7 and 10, until the last update. Unfortunately, WordPerfect (and a >20,000 line PerfectScript program) is a key element of her system and I'm not about to write something from scratch that would re-create WordPerfect, so I'm stuck with Windows.

Were this an ordinary application in an ordinary PC, and not something that Rachi needs to have running day in and day out, this kind of stupid behavior might just be a few key-clicks annoyance. For Rachi, however, anything of this sort means she can't speak.
LROBBINS

Postby Burgerman » 01 Oct 2018, 13:41

But who says you wouldnt get similar problems with other operating systems? I have spent hours trying to fix similar and other completely different stuff on my sister in laws various apple laptops for eg. As soon as a system becomes popular, and there then becomes a lot of software available that is written for it of different vintages the same problems start to spring up. And the more they try to hide the complication under the hood to make it simpler for dummies, the harder they get to fix... I am very adept at sorting such stuff in windows, esp registry settings, and can normally get everything working how I want. Not so simple in other operating systems.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 07 Oct 2018, 21:03

steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 07 Oct 2018, 21:31

As is this security issues list by operating system/browser:

https://www.cvedetails.com/top-50-products.php

:lol:

Plus of course windows runs stuff! And isnt like a home made 20 year old operating system.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 09 Oct 2018, 09:18

steves1977uk wrote:Interesting... http://itvision.altervista.org/why.linu ... rrent.html :ugeek:

Steve

Thanks for posting that, Steve. Seems I may have been living in a fools' paradise, thinking that Linux was a better option!

Maybe I need to re-evaluate whether to continue with Ubuntu on my desktop and as the main OS on my laptop. Not that I do much on them other than browsing and email - except during May to September when I use the desktop to monitor and record Common Swifts breeding in nest boxes round my house via the programme "Motion".

Whenever I (rarely) switch to Windows 10 on the laptop, I find the hanging around waiting for updates to finalise is an intensely frustrating business. Actually I find Win10 to be far less user friendly than Win XP that I was very familiar with.

Being a great believer in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"' I may just leave things as they are for now.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 09 Oct 2018, 10:59

Having tried everything and been building websites and using and building computers since the days before dos 6.22, I suggest that if you want security, MODERN functionality, and a super stable system that you use Windows 7 64 bit. It like all windows needs to be taken out of dummy user mode and have a bunch of small things configured properly. Then it just behaves, works, does as its told, and every bit of software you need just works.

If you want to use windows 10. 64 bit. You can. And again once its been configured PROPERLY and had all the metro app garbage removed, and the phone hone stuff removed, and configured properly (get it out of dummy idiot mode) and had a mountain of settings and default programs, menues etc reconfigured then it too works great. After all that it is basically the same as windows 7 is, but a little faster. And a few extra bits you may like. I use both. And dual boot.

10 is harder work to keep pure and simple. 7 is otherwise the best as its already what you are actually making 10 into...

So install any version of 7 (or 10 if you are computer savy and want to configure it your way and have the knowledge to do so) and never worry. They are just as safe and stable as anything else, with a proper modern interface that will run everything you need properly.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 09 Oct 2018, 23:36

Thanks for the advice, BM. The only Windows OS I have is XP. If I can get my hands on a copy of 7 I'll have a play on a spare machine before changing completely.
PM sent.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 10 Oct 2018, 12:11

XP is almost 19 years old. In the computer world a year is a long time.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 10 Oct 2018, 16:09

Here's a small collection of Win10 tools to make it more bearable to use. Hope these help! :) :ugeek: Link... https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifunh8u72sty5 ... 0.zip?dl=1

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby greybeard » 10 Oct 2018, 16:39

Burgerman wrote:XP is almost 19 years old. In the computer world a year is a long time.

Yeah. That's how long I've been using Linux operating systems, hence I'm very rusty on Win stuff.

I really don't *need* to change from Ubuntu, but Steve's and your posts prompted me to find out what I had been missing. I have already discovered how much has changed. I'm having difficulty finding the inner workings of even the most basic functions in W10 :? . Just don't recognise anything - but I'm a stubborn old bugger so will enjoy picking it apart (slowly :) ). There will be cock-ups ahead, I know, but it's on a spare PC and I have plenty of time.
greybeard

Postby greybeard » 10 Oct 2018, 16:44

steves1977uk wrote:Here's a small collection of Win10 tools to make it more bearable to use. Hope these help! :) :ugeek: Link... https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifunh8u72sty5 ... 0.zip?dl=1

Steve

Many thanks, Steve. Bloody Trend Virus checker deleted the lot as viruses first time :fencing but got the file OK now.
greybeard

Postby steves1977uk » 10 Oct 2018, 17:08

Here's my very simplistic Win10 Desktop that mimics the XP look...

w10basicdesktop.jpg

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby greybeard » 10 Oct 2018, 17:16

steves1977uk wrote:Here's my very simplistic Win10 Desktop that mimics the XP look... (Dunno why it's in B&W!) :?

w10basicdesktop.jpg

Steve

Now THAT I recognise. :lol: :lol: :lol: If I can get look for all W10 pages that I'll be very happy. I know, I know. I'm a fosil! :D
greybeard

Postby steves1977uk » 10 Oct 2018, 17:21

greybeard wrote:
steves1977uk wrote:Here's a small collection of Win10 tools to make it more bearable to use. Hope these help! :) :ugeek: Link... https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifunh8u72sty5 ... 0.zip?dl=1

Steve

Many thanks, Steve. Bloody Trend Virus checker deleted the lot as viruses first time :fencing but got the file OK now.

No probs! Most AV's will flag any Windows anti-spying software as a virus, just ignore! :D

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 10 Oct 2018, 19:00

Why are you running an anti virus real time?

Run it once a month at night automatically, excluding software store. I never found a virus in 15 years or so. It just slows down the computer for nothing.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 10 Oct 2018, 20:07

Told you. Very rusty on MS stuff and no idea at all how exposed it is to viruses these days. Never had to bother running AV stuff on Ubuntu. But what you say makes sense - so that's what I'll do from now on. Thanks.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 10 Oct 2018, 23:55

The only way to get a virus on an up to date system, and browser, realistically is if YOU are daft enough to run an infected file that you got from some unknown source. So viruses are a USER problem... If you dont trust yourself, leave the windows 10 anti virus as stock. Running invisibly to protect against all the worlds users...

But beware false positives. All the virus companies get £ to add things like program cracks, or dodgy software that defeats things, etc as viruses even when they are not. They think they are the computer police!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 11 Oct 2018, 11:35

I'm not daft enough to do any of those things :angel: , but my Mrs might be through sheer ignorance of anything remotely technical. She's a woman after all (tinfoil hat on !!!!) czy :D . She is the reason I got antivirus in the first place for her laptop (that I've now half-inched) - She now has an iPad and the laptop and I are much happier.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 11 Oct 2018, 12:17

Win 10 has both firewall, and integrated antivirus built in. So you can let her loose.

Heres the thing. A PC is more complex than a euro-fighter with more possible options, tick boxes, configurations etc. You wouldn't expect to get in that, take off, and fly it to France and land without a lot of training. But you think a computer should be able to be driven by your misses. Thats why they keep trying to dumb everything down to the point that a more capable user has to rebuild it to make it work as they want.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 11 Oct 2018, 12:32

Haha!
You think us married men have a choice? You're crazy. :D
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 11 Oct 2018, 15:47

You had a choice not to get married. Women age like bread. Men age like wine. What you gonna do when its all gone tatty and stale? Myself, I throw it out and go get a french stick. :lol:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 11 Oct 2018, 16:27

It doesn't always get "tatty and stale" - if you choose wisely and work at it. We've been together 46 years now and we are yet to have anything approaching a serious bust up. Maybe it's just luck. I dunno. But I wouldn't change her - even if her ignorance of tech/practical stuff sometimes drives me mad!
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 11 Oct 2018, 16:32

My problem is that I stopped getting any older at about 30. So still fancy 25 year olds. 30? At a push... Any older and they look like someones mother to me And I cant change that. Just not interested in older women! Consequently I am now single! :clap
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 12 Oct 2018, 00:48

Then more power to your elbow. Make the most of it while you can. I still get a buzz from looking at fit young things, but nothing more. Get more pleasure from a good meal and a glass of Chianti. These days I couldn't even raise a laugh anyway. hanged
greybeard

Next

Return to Anything