Docking bolt removal

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Docking bolt removal

Postby greybeard » 11 Jan 2019, 15:43

A chair I've acquired has a docking bolt(?) attached that is stopping it from getting over the smallest of floor projections like some door thresholds, navigating my ramp to the garden etc.

I need to remove it but getting down to the floor and back up is a major challenge for me. I need to know exactly how it is fixed to the chair and to ensure I have ALL the required tools within reach before I attempt the task. I get one shot at getting back off the floor or get to spend hours stuck there.

I have no experience of docking mechanisms. I have a motor cycle type lift but suspect the docking thing might make using it difficult. Any tips? (I might try your trick with the books, BM) Will the batteries need to be removed for this job? What tools do I need?

Advice please.

Many thanks.
greybeard

Re: Docking bolt removal

Postby rover220 » 11 Jan 2019, 15:45

normally welded to a plate that is bolted to bottom of the chassis but could be done a number of ways with any number of fixings
rover220

Postby greybeard » 11 Jan 2019, 15:52

Thanks Rover, but that wasn't what I hoped to hear ☹️
greybeard

Postby ICEUK » 11 Jan 2019, 16:05

Geoff if you have a angle grinder make sure you have that close at hand, at least you could cut the bolt off.
ICEUK

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jan 2019, 16:19

Most of the ones I saw bolted in. As mine do. So a large spanner may do it. Tip the chair on its side (find a strong volunteer) onto a couple of pillows. So you can get to see.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 11 Jan 2019, 17:03

Maybe someone could take pictures of it... selfie stick? volunteer? Get some light under there. Then you could enlarge it & see what you are dealing with before you start, have the right tools at hand. Books or blocks of wood (a favorite tool of mine) can help you see under there.
It's good to remember the military strategy: “No plan survives contact with the enemy.” Derived from the observation of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmuth_v ... _the_Elder
Once you get into things, you'll make decisions based on what you find, not what you had planned.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby rlnguy » 11 Jan 2019, 17:08

If you can't find a helper, try using a camera, or mirror,to see where you can't.
I often take a couple digital pictures, when I can't see what I'm getting into, before I crawl down.
I can hold the camera at arms length, aimed in the general direction of the issue.
That way, I usually can tell what tools I will need-and then take a few more, in case the part is not cooperative.
As mentioned above, the bolt might be mounted a plate, that is bolted, or it might even be welded directly to the chassis.
If it is mounted to a plate, you might have to remove batteries, or other components to get to the bolts that hold the plate to the chair.
good luck
rlnguy

Postby greybeard » 11 Jan 2019, 18:14

Thanks guys. :worship

Managed to get some pics and it doesn't look too difficult, but whatever turns out like that, eh? For me anyway! It's actually a bar rather than a bolt, but it does only seem to be bolted to the frame. First is side view. Second from rear.
Attachments
P1000152.JPG
P1000153.JPG
greybeard

Postby flagman1776 » 11 Jan 2019, 19:48

Oh Yeah, a super obstruction! Hope you can get a wrench on it.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jan 2019, 20:03

That is ridiculous. What are they on.

Eze-lock or all the clones like mine that grab a simple 16mm bolt is easy to fix. As long as you choose a chair with sensible ground clearance.

Just be sure to mount the cocking mechanism high up, by adding a couple of 25mm or bigger spacer bars under it. It means the bolt on the powerchair can be 2.5 inches or so above the deck as you drive. The top of this dock is 3 3/8ths inches from the carpet. The lower part of the bolt is 2.5 and a bit inches above the ground as you drive. Theres actually some spare length when docked so it can be a little higher too if required. I test correct height of bolt by rolling a beer can under my chair. If it is the same height or just touches when sat in the chair, it is good to go.

You just need 4 off https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Square-Plast ... 0005.m1851

And 2x the length of your tie down of https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mild-Steel-B ... 0005.m1851

And some 25mm or 30mm longer bolts.

So fit it 25mm higher up on bars like this (hard to see here as carpet all rucked up the sides but look closely. Easier to see by looking at the far side at the rear):
Attachments
810_2233.JPG
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jan 2019, 20:22

Looking at your pics you will need a 13mm spanner on the inside where the batteries are, and the outside. Or 1/2 inch AF if you live in the US. So batteries out. :cussing That chair looks unbelievably low anyway to me even without that bar.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 11 Jan 2019, 21:06

I just need it off. I won't be driving anywhere in it. Nice job for tomorrow.
greybeard

Postby greybeard » 11 Jan 2019, 21:40

Burgerman wrote:Looking at your pics you will need a 13mm spanner on the inside where the batteries are, and the outside. Or 1/2 inch AF if you live in the US. So batteries out. :cussing That chair looks unbelievably low anyway to me even without that bar.

Yeah. It's low but once that plate with the bar is off and slightly larger tyres are fitted it will be fine for what I need.

The chair was a fantastic buy. I was the only eBay bidder for it - a Handicare Puma 40 with electric *everything* - tilt, lift, recline, leg raise and even footrest height and 120amp R-net. Private seller. It has obviously been sitting in someone's garage for a while so the batteries are likely buggered. Apart from the seat cushion that was stained, and too thin for me anyway, it looks in almost new condition.

The programmer shows total mileage as 32. That's right - thirty two! That may be genuine as it still had stock programming, so it's doubtful anyone had been into it with a programmer and able to change it before me. (Thanks ICEUK)

Paid the asking price of £250.00 plus £114.00 to have it transported. How bad is that?
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jan 2019, 22:01

Pretty good I would say. Other than the bar that hasn't got paint where it engages, so rusty, the rest of the underneath looks unused and never been wet. download/file.php?id=9956&mode=view

This is the reason that the best way is to give WCS give the user the cash. That new scheme I use. You can get 6 as new chairs with power everything if you know what you are doing for what they will give you.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby foghornleghorn » 12 Jan 2019, 16:11

greybeard wrote:Paid the asking price of £250.00 plus £114.00 to have it transported. How bad is that?

Who did you use for transport, and did it have to be packaged or did they take it loose?
foghornleghorn

Postby rover220 » 12 Jan 2019, 20:35

that is a steal at £250
rover220

Postby greybeard » 12 Jan 2019, 21:20

foghornleghorn wrote:
greybeard wrote:Paid the asking price of £250.00 plus £114.00 to have it transported. How bad is that?

Who did you use for transport, and did it have to be packaged or did they take it loose?

A firm from Alton in Hampshire called Silver Sprint. Found them on eBay after searching wheelchair transport. They have weekly van runs up and down the country. Normally it would have taken about a week from collection to delivery using their economy service, but Xmas got in the way for me. I paid extra for them to wrap it to ensure it was fully covered by their insurance. The original price quoted was £99.00 which considering the distance I thought was reasonable.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jan 2019, 21:25

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 12 Jan 2019, 21:28

rover220 wrote:that is a steal at £250

Yep! Call me a bandit! I was convinced that at least a dealer would outbid me especially as a dozen other people were "watching" it. I was amazed that not one other bid was made and it ended up with me!
greybeard

Postby foghornleghorn » 12 Jan 2019, 22:10

greybeard wrote:
foghornleghorn wrote:

A firm from Alton in Hampshire called Silver Sprint. Found them on eBay after searching wheelchair transport. They have weekly van runs up and down the country. Normally it would have taken about a week from collection to delivery using their economy service, but Xmas got in the way for me. I paid extra for them to wrap it to ensure it was fully covered by their insurance. The original price quoted was £99.00 which considering the distance I thought was reasonable.

You got a good price on that one. When they were first listing it was over £1000.
foghornleghorn

Postby Mechniki » 18 Jan 2019, 20:07

greybeard wrote:Thanks guys. :worship

Managed to get some pics and it doesn't look too difficult, but whatever turns out like that, eh? For me anyway! It's actually a bar rather than a bolt, but it does only seem to be bolted to the frame. First is side view. Second from rear.

When you're down there trying to get it off, might be an idea to see if the bolts through the box can be reversed, so the nuts and remaining threads are inside. Or cut off the excess threads, or use shorter bolts.
Mechniki

Return to Everything Powerchair