Off road powerchair

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Off road powerchair

Postby sacharlie » 13 Apr 2019, 01:19

The liquor store has a dog that can't resist biting my caster wheels. The owner says that when a pup the guys in the warehouse teased him with their loading dollies. The store has a wine tasting bar and I always get a full glass instead of the little taste cup. Nice dog. :dance
sacharlie

Postby Burgerman » 13 Apr 2019, 01:53

lemon jiuce.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby sacharlie » 13 Apr 2019, 02:59

Yes lemons into wine usually homemade thou.
My favorite homemade is agarita. Very smooth taste and beautiful amber blush of color.
sacharlie

Postby ex-Gooserider » 16 Apr 2019, 02:33

I have never had need to try it in my power chair, at 4mph top speed it probably isn't fast enough regardless, but what they used to teach in Motorcycle Safety Foundation courses worked like magic on any chasing dog that you could spot ahead of time...

If you watch dogs at all, you know it's easy to spot the 'chasers' - they go into a total crouch down and start the 'tracking gaze' routine before starting their move....

The idea is that as soon as you spot the chaser, SLOW DOWN slightly... As soon as they start to make the dash, speed back up... The dog has a great tracking computer that figures out the right interception course before launch - but once started, they can't recompute.... By speeding back up, you end up way down the road instead of at the predicted 'chomp point'....

This seriously confuses the dog, as normal prey doesn't do this...

On a bike it worked wonderfully....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Mechniki » 22 Apr 2019, 15:40

I find an ultrasonic dog deterrent works fairly well. I own 2 currently, only ever used one once, worked a treat; German Shepard backed right off.
Seen others on ebay
Can't find the one I bought from amazon but found it on ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultrasonic-H ... SwsO5cLsWy
Mechniki

Postby Burgerman » 22 Apr 2019, 18:15

If you drive straight at them they run away. YOU are supposed to be scared by the rush, the barking. Its mostly bluster and if you dont look scared then suddenly THEY are...

I owned a few german shepherds. Its all show. And if you are scared and show it they may even bite.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby farmer » 23 Apr 2019, 00:09

i keep a few dog treats with me every dog on my street loves to see me
farmer

Postby Scooterman » 23 Apr 2019, 08:49

Dogs don't like me, they always go for me. As BM says they probably sense fear and think I'm an easy push-over.

And little dogs are the worse, they such vicious little ********* :cussing Especially jack russels, there was one round here that seems to have disappeared lately? :eh: . It used to bare it's teeth and lunge at you like it wanted to rip your throat out.

Although I have seen my cat square up to a few big dogs. He's braver than me!

I've noticed how my cat defends his own 'patch' against trespasses.
Scooterman

Postby Mechniki » 23 Apr 2019, 21:37

Scooterman wrote: And little dogs are the worse, they such vicious little ********* :cussing Especially jack russels, there was one round here that seems to have disappeared lately? :eh: . It used to bare it's teeth and lunge at you like it wanted to rip your throat out.

Big Cat scat, also works as a deterrent, Tiger, Lion, Jaguar etc

Back on topic
https://www.thelivingcentre.co.uk/wheel ... chair.html

it's expensive, 10K+ , wont be able to go really off-road, though it may surprise. Would need a test drive
Attachments
254.jpg
Mechniki

Postby Mechniki » 23 Apr 2019, 21:57

https://www.topsimages.com/images/off-r ... x4-a5.html
there's a plug there for a 4 wheel drive that leads back to here. I believe it is BM's chair
Mechniki

Postby ex-Gooserider » 30 Apr 2019, 03:06

Scooterman wrote:Dogs don't like me, they always go for me. As BM says they probably sense fear and think I'm an easy push-over.

And little dogs are the worse, they such vicious little ********* :cussing Especially jack russels, there was one round here that seems to have disappeared lately? :eh: . It used to bare it's teeth and lunge at you like it wanted to rip your throat out.

I totally agree - I did delivery stuff at one point, the only time I got bit (thank Gods for heavy boots - no penetration) was by a toy poodle... Every postman or delivery person I've ever talked to has said the same thing - little dogs are the worst...

Big dogs know they get your attention, and tend to be somewhat sane.... Little dogs seem to have much more tendency to be nuts, and seem to think you won't notice them unless they grab a chunk of your ankle...

The other thing is that people that own big dogs with aggressive tendencies are generally pretty aware of it, and keep them under control, while the yappomatic owners tend to think their little mutt is 'harmless' and let him go at you... Even if they don't bite they are likely to trip you....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Previous

Return to Powerchair Reviews