Lifestand wheelchair /leg bag emptier.

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Lifestand wheelchair /leg bag emptier.

Postby snaker » 05 Jul 2019, 01:43

The bump in woodygb's link above seems not a diaphragm (although the seller stated 'diaphragm'). I bought a pump like that and I see it lets water/air going through when not powered.

My current pump is like the one below. A diaphragm pump's input/output are usually in horizontal (not vertical), is it right?

Its price jumps double :fencing but is still acceptable :thumbup:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-24V-Min ... SwqlFas3KN
snaker

Postby Burgerman » 05 Jul 2019, 05:59

This is correct. Many sellers also add the term "diaphram pump" because then they get more search hits. But many are not. Be sure the one you order actually is.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 09 Jul 2019, 04:12

Burgerman wrote:Its a diaphram pump. No flow without power. 2 valves in the way.

Mildly beg to differ, at least in theory... On a low cost pump, both valves are ONE WAY valves, (hydraulic diodes) and both flow from the input side to the output side.... Fancy pumps might have some sort of mechanically actuated valve, but for a basic pump, not really worth it...

(on suction stroke, piston pulls in from supply side, on compression it pushes out pressure side - but the flow is always in the same direction)

A one-way valve will have some sort of spring or equivalent holding it shut, so there will be some amount of pressure needed to get flow through it, but usually the designers try to keep that pressure as low as possible to minimize resistance....

No idea how much pressure it would take to get liquid to flow through a cheap pump, but I would be surprised if it took very much - it might not drip if the bag is just sitting with atmospheric pressure on it, but if something happened to apply pressure to the bag, I wouldn't be surprised to see a puddle.... :oops:

If I were designing such a setup, I'd want either a solenoid or a 'pop-off' type valve that would resist any pressure less than what would damage the bag anyway....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Burgerman » 09 Jul 2019, 05:48

No idea how much pressure it would take to get liquid to flow through a cheap pump, but I would be surprised if it took very much - it might not drip if the bag is just sitting with atmospheric pressure on it, but if something happened to apply pressure to the bag, I wouldn't be surprised to see a puddle.... :oops:

The answer is that you cant squeeze the bag hard enough...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby funkykeyboard » 03 Sep 2019, 21:31

This is my wheelchair pod screen on my Lifestand wheelchair;
https://youtu.be/KgxI0T7d1WQ
At present the scrolling order is leg rest, backrest, solenoid and standing. I would prefer the order to be with the solenoid in between leg rest and backrest, how do I change the order?

This is my programming screen.
funkykeyboard

Postby Burgerman » 03 Sep 2019, 21:47

Why is that wobbling all over? Must fix!

Rearanging the order is a messy thing to do. Not simple. I think. Will involve replugging the various actuators, and then changing all the screen images, inhibits, actuator settings etc. I dont think there is a simple way. Might be wrong.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby funkykeyboard » 14 Sep 2019, 23:00

The wobbling all over the place happens because it's on a swing away mounting. When I'm driving, I just lift the pod up on my armrest and it's perfectly static. When I want to get under a table or anything, I can just swing it out of the way.

You know what, Im think this is going to be a bad methodology. Keep hitting the solenoid accidentally, and I really can't do that with a leg bag emptier.

I'm thinking of trying to create an XLR, with a USB connected. So emptying the leg bag becomes a much more secure activity which can only do be done with some intention.

Tried plugging the motor into an ordinary battery pack today, that didn't work. That's why am looking at the XLR option.

Any advice appreciated, Tremulous Tetra. :-)
funkykeyboard

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair