BBQ for 1 and Seating/Pressure Reducing Cushions.

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

BBQ for 1 and Seating/Pressure Reducing Cushions.

Postby Burgerman » 09 Jul 2019, 19:57

Salmon fillets, starter, then BBQ fillet steak and red/green peppers and red onion, then a cold beer. I love dieting... Cut out all the weeds and stuff. Now back on my bed. Saves from wrecking my kitchen. Miss the old dog. He would have been patiently waiting.

Real reason for post, that home made/bought air cushion that alternates. It was a last attempt at what my brain said would work. I did not expect it to have worked quite so well. For the first time in 3 years I have been off my bed for 4 to 6 hours a day. For more than a week. Now 4 months. It works, theres absolutely no doubt about that. Shame you cant actually BUY an alternating air cushion thats the correct size, thats any good. (Theres one, in the US, and its a CRAZY price). But this is WAY better for my endless coccyx and more serious ischeal sores. They have gone. Not even red. First time in 3 years. I am thinking that I have my life back. Everything is now crossed! :worship

You can keep the rohos, the jays, the other 4 or 5 high quality static pressure cushions. They just do not work. The cheapish, nastily made alternating air ones, DO.

So... Why are there not more of them about? Thinking about it, pressure does not matter at all. Even a wooden bench. As long as you GET OFF IT every few minutes. If you were to do so, you would never get a sore/ulcer. The blood with its nutrients and oxygen gets to the skin cells every time the cushion swaps to its opposite chambers.

So nothing dies. No sores.

NOW its time to build a better product. I have been thinking. As I do. The ONLY part that needs to be kind to your bum is around 12 inches or less square. Theres no point in having it longer or wider, as it just reduces stability and you do not get sores anywhere else. I can get stock cheap firm foam cushions cut to size, cheaply on eBay. So anyone that wants a 14, 17, or 20.5 or any damned size, in any direction, could just order one with a 12 inch square cutout, that is 2 inches deep. To make it a 2.5 inch deep cusion you need 1 extra bit of foam. The bottom 1/2 inch layer can be very hard foam. The join needs to have a layer of fabric in it, so that it does not "grow" when used for a bit.

The cut out can then house a home made inflatable set of reservoirs. These can easily be made from relatively cheap rubber tube as used on bycicles. And joined or glued easily with rubber solution glue. After all they wont leak. The pressures we are talking about here are really low! They will need a fabric or nylon tube to sit inside, so they can be inflated to some pressure without expanding in volume. My cushion, has 6 tubes around 40mm to 45mm diameter. 3 inflate, the other 3 deflate. And they swap position every 10 mins. The deflated ones, allow blood to oxygenate the cells.

So work begins looking for the best reliable cheap construction method. I am ordering tubes...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: BBQ for 1 and Seating/Pressure Reducing Cushions.

Postby greybeard » 09 Jul 2019, 22:11

Well done on your home-built solution.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 09 Jul 2019, 23:03

Yes. Thanks. The real reason for posting though is all the others suffering the same thing. If you have pressure sore issues as a great many here do, now, or in the future even, then THIS is the answer. It works.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Williamclark77 » 09 Jul 2019, 23:26

Where are the pictures? 8-) 8-)
WcMade.com - Get nearly anything you need made
Williamclark77

Postby Irving » 10 Jul 2019, 00:08

Williamclark77 wrote:Where are the pictures? 8-) 8-)

You really want to see BM's nether regions? czy
C5/6 A (complete)
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
Irving

Postby iainsherriff » 10 Jul 2019, 01:22

Burgerman wrote:Yes. Thanks. The real reason for posting though is all the others suffering the same thing. If you have pressure sore issues as a great many here do, now, or in the future even, then THIS is the answer. It works.

BRILLIANT ! This will be a real benefit to a lot of people. :clap
Matt (son) is chair user.
MS fairly advanced
Invacare TDX SP2 NB
TGA S4 for dog/kid walking
iainsherriff

Postby Williamclark77 » 10 Jul 2019, 01:39

Irving wrote:
Williamclark77 wrote:Where are the pictures? 8-) 8-)

You really want to see BM's nether regions? czy

I guess I really could have used better wording :lol:
WcMade.com - Get nearly anything you need made
Williamclark77

Postby Burgerman » 10 Jul 2019, 03:54

I did post pics. But cannot find the thread. Not of my backside, but the cushions, and my DIY foam base to replace the hopeless lunm of undersized floppy bit of 100x too soft memory foam.

Heres some!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8081&p=122854&hilit=alternating+air+cushion#p122854
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8081&hilit=alternating+air+cushion&start=90

You will need this too https://www.healthandcare.co.uk/pressur ... shion.html
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rollingcowboy » 10 Jul 2019, 04:46

great news John
it has been hard to imagine you confined to a bed
even so you were still answering questions and offering help to whoever showed up!
(well....maybe not all of the students out to save the world)
you have helped countless people - I'm one!

keep goin!

and now I will have the know how to build a better cushion when my time comes cheers
rollingcowboy

Postby Burgerman » 10 Jul 2019, 04:52

Thanks. Heres what beats me. Why isnt there a cushion like this, of sensible quality, and price that is available in many sizes already? Theres every other type of cushion imaginable, and anything up to 1k each. But not the only one type that actually works!!! :cussing
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 10 Jul 2019, 13:32

It must be really satisfying to find something that works. I've been through the same thing with an ischial sore and am back up from 9-7.Final attempt with a Roho, now on Contour which has been OK even whilst sore was healing. Regular tilt backs and pull forwards for pressure reliefb, the need for which would vanish with an alternating cushion. What is crazy is that I pressure map really well but that doesn't help when you don't move, you need to keep removing pressure.

IMG_2629.jpg
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 10 Jul 2019, 15:50

Quite. Pressure mapsare a approx guide/help. And thats it. You now know what works. Today up for 8 hours like yesterday. No sign of a mark.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 10 Jul 2019, 17:01

And pressure mapping just shows where the pressure is, it never changes throughout the day unless you can move or be moved. Pressure mapping an alternating cell cushion you would get different pressure points every time you checked the mapping. If I get any signs of pressure damage I'll be swapping to that cushion, I've had enough of pressure sores.
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 10 Jul 2019, 17:30

Thats exactly whrere I was.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby sacharlie » 10 Jul 2019, 17:53

That's just great news! More power to your bum. :dance :dance :dance

You are a true leader in your realm.

Here is another in his own. Presented here to celebrate getting back up and about.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mckg0

ps. How come the YouTube vid doesn't desplay?
sacharlie

Postby Burgerman » 10 Jul 2019, 18:55

You need only the bit AFTER the equals sign. In between the YouTube brackets, no spaces.
So :

Code: Select all
[youtube]Gdlyi5mckg0[/youtube]

youtu.be/Gdlyi5mckg0
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 11 Jul 2019, 20:29

BM, What air cell unit have are you using... that you are satisfied with? What pump / controler? Preferably available to the US. I have a spot I've been treating for some time... slowly making progress with... but every night, I'm constantly searching for a new position to sit. I need one of these.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jul 2019, 20:46

I bought this.
https://www.alertamedical.com/en/produc ... ion-system
Heres a similar PUMP alone, cells are available on chinese auction sites.
https://www.healthandcare.co.uk/pressur ... shion.html

Bought for the air cells, and the pump. After asking many companies a lot of questions.
The pump is almost silent, compact, lithium, rechargable, bounces well and coes in a small fabric case with window.
The cells are OK so far reliable.
The foam cushion base is the most useless floppy lump of cheap memory foam in existence. Obviously an afterthought It offeres zero support, and is a complete waste of time. Its basically a lump of packaging. So toss it in the B1N. Its also a fixed one size fits all, and too small.

Hence the own made hard foam cushion, that is the correct size for me at 20 wide, and 20 deep. As you can see by the pics elsewhere. It has the 6 air cells in the rear under my 3 pressure points. And it works better than any other cushion I ever tried. And I tried a lot at great expence. It has allowed me to leave my bed for a few months now, and no sore or even red mark in sight. Was on my bed for 3 years and the same sore was returning inside 3 to 5 days over and over. Now its gone and staying gone so far. Moreso, because the rear 1 inch, and the front third, and the sides 2 inches, it offers great stability. And is easy to transfer onto or off. (The pump also has a static setting where all cells inflate). This is in fact the only issue. You can forget to switch to Active mode. But even doing that a few times has not caused me a problem.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 11 Jul 2019, 22:01

So, if I have this straight, you are using the complete system except you remounted the air tubes in a bigger foam base.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby woodygb » 11 Jul 2019, 22:10

Cheaper pump.

Same pump ....just different branding?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Combo-Battery- ... K0V7GHZGXC
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jul 2019, 22:12

Yep. But theres a plan B too.

I also am building a pump which has no electronics, all just tiny air components etc, and making a bunch of tubes using an inner tube, and a bit of creativity that is going to be a full DIY job. Why? Because its about 400 cheaper and it will be better made. But theres no need. You can do exactly as I did and its simple and expensive. But whats your freedom worth?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jul 2019, 22:17

Yes appears the same thing minus the case. Mine is also yet another different brand. Its all the same pump as far as I can tell by lookingat the outside. Theres all sorts of places selling that. Also on the chinese auction sites. When I bought mine I paid more, and no alternative at that time.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby sacharlie » 12 Jul 2019, 00:14

The cheapest I found here in US.

https://tensnet.com/collections/pillows ... -cushion-1

Those pump units all look the same but with different name/logo on the bottom right corner: MOBIFREE...APEX and so on. Some have Ni-MH Batts some have lithium.

The big difference may be these cushions have 4 air tube as the 6 tube may be better to sit on.
sacharlie

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jul 2019, 00:38

Not sure it matters. As long as you are sitting on different points. The 4 bars may be better.

https://aquilacorp.com/wp-content/uploa ... n-II-8.png
These are the Rolls Royce of cushions. But at a rediculous 4K they need to be.
https://aquilacorp.com/products/airpulse-pk2/
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby sacharlie » 12 Jul 2019, 02:18

An issue I have read on these power units is actual run time. It's like what ever is claimed cut it in half. Just like PC range it's all optimal settings. Like 15min air cycle vs 5min. So to use one all day they really need to run off the PC batts.
sacharlie

Postby sacharlie » 12 Jul 2019, 02:40

BM do the tube in these cushions have pin holes for the air to escape to deflate? If so the pump is constantly running,no.
sacharlie

Postby dixonm » 12 Jul 2019, 06:14

Burgerman, I know you are relieved to be out of the bed even if only 4 to 6 hours a day. I commend you for being able to do the 3 years.
I did 9 months and 27 days in 1999. I have had my Stage 4 ulcer for 20 years now. I have probably spent over a million dollars in surgery, wound supplies, home health services from time to time and Rx meds. Because of the location on my left ishel and the way the wound is positioned I have been able to do 12 to 18 hours a day in the chair. It has healed very little over the years, but it hasn't continued to expand in depth or width.

I used an EASE cushion for a couple years and it worked well until the pump quit working and I wasn't able to purchase another. I have been on Roho's ever since. I think I will try to repair or use a different pump going forward. The only complaint I had with the cushion was the pump was loud when in operation every 18 minutes. Sometimes embarrassing in quite environments. I teach welding at a community college in North Carolina, and it was a distraction to the class during lectures, not so much in the welding lab. I am not as worried about how other people perceive me as I was 15 years ago so I am thinking that the pump would not have the same mental effect on me today as it did back then.
This is the company website, https://www.easecushion.com/ there cushions are not cheap. I do have to credit the covers that came with the cushion they were the best of any cushion I have ever owned. The covers were made from the material that "Wet Suits" are constructed with.
I love the idea of DIY development of a quality cushion, without breaking the bank.
Pictures of the pump assembly, it is missing half of the battery pack in the picture.
Attachments
EASE-Pump_Motor-Electronics.jpg
dixonm

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jul 2019, 08:54

That pump looks like an antique, is big clunky and low tech. Its using a RC servo! And a diverter valve etc.. Thats looking worse than my DIY version!

Do yourself a favour, buy one in the link above. At least for now. It is very quiet. Only you will hear it if theres no other sounds. It runs 24 hours at the shortest 10 min interval. It charges in around 2 hours if its still running (you are sitting on it). And a little faster if switched off.

SAC, it definitely does run all day for over 24 hours. mines set to 2nd highest pressure + shortest interval and runs easily all day long. And no, in mobile form, it has no air bleed holes. And in fact stays inflated pretty well overnight when off.

If you worry about that, and I dont! Then all you need do is connect the thing to your chairs battery via half a dozen different ways - to top up charge as you drive or sit. But it runs for longer than you can be awake anyway. Its also trivial to add a battery thats much bigger Ah. It only uses 2 tiny 2Ah 18650 lithium cells. Thats all it needs. Add 2 more with velcro.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby calabash » 12 Jul 2019, 09:30

About 35 years ago my then brother-in-law used to supply & service the NHS with a new air bed for pressure sores, it was made up of about 20 long tubes (the length of the bed) and could deflate each tube every minute or so, actual time set by the user, and it worked. Or so he said. It could act the same as the all electric beds they use now but they cost over £5000 35 years ago!

The pump unit on that was the size of a PC tower but silent! You would have thought it would have moved on into a cushion but obviously not.
Great idea.
calabash

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jul 2019, 10:49

Well they have always been around. but uncomon. And like the one linked above stupidly expensive and bulky noisy pumps. But now the chinese are making them cheap. And cheerful.. But accessible
Burgerman
Site Admin

Next

Return to Everything Powerchair