Programming cable specifically for S-Drive controllers

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Programming cable specifically for S-Drive controllers

Postby Vik » 12 Jun 2019, 00:27

Hi All,

Finally got my sons Drive Monarch Royal 4 back, a couple of questions on the cable and software.
1- Has anyone got this cable to work specifically on the S-Drive 200 controller( not the earlier controller models) ?
2 - I can get the software to recognise COM4 or COM3 ok, but it still shows "controller inactive" ?
3 - Is is possible that this "200" controller requires newer software?

thanks,
Cheers,
Vik

Postby Vik » 12 Jun 2019, 00:52

"2 - I can get the software to recognise COM4 or COM3 ok, but it still shows "controller inactive? "

should have been :

2 - I can get the software to recognise COM4 or COM3 ok, but it still shows "Coms inactive" ?
Cheers,
Vik

Postby woodygb » 12 Jun 2019, 10:03

What did you use as the basis for your cable?

Is the controller turned ON ?
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Vik » 12 Jun 2019, 12:30

woodygb wrote:What did you use as the basis for your cable?

Is the controller turned ON ?

Hi Woodygb,

woodygb wrote:What did you use as the basis for your cable?

Is the controller turned ON ?[/quote]

This is the adaptor I used, there is a link to the manual on the downloads tab, halfway down the page:
https://www.jaycar.com.au/arduino-compa ... e/p/XC4464

I connected the module as follows:
- transmit(TXD) pin to the cathode of the diode
- receive(RXD) pin to the junction of the 33k resisitor, anode of diode, pins3&4 of molex connector.
- 5 volt pin to other end of 33k
- GND to pin 1 of molex connector.

note: A loopback test succeeded.

woodygb wrote:Is the controller turned ON ?

The controller is in the scooter as normal and I turn the key on, just as if I was going to drive it - I presume this is all that is needed?
Cheers,
Vik

Postby woodygb » 12 Jun 2019, 12:48

Yes ..Just turned ON.

YOU have told the programming software which port is being used?
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Vik » 16 Jun 2019, 21:54

Yes, It is set to Com 4 under Tools->Comms->Serial Port Configuration, when this is set the RXD and TXD LEDS begin flashing at regular intervals on the converter board, but the menu items Read from Controller, Write to controller and Reset remain inactive(Grey text) as does Diagnostics and some others.

Has anyone successfully used this cable and the Programmer 14.6.0 software on a S-Drive 200 amp controller?
If that is the case then there is something wrong with my version of the converter cable and I will look at buying one from the UK.

alternatively, can anyone tell me what waveform and DC voltage to expect at pins 3(RXD) and 4(TXD) of the Molex connector?
Cheers,
Vik

Postby Vik » 16 Jun 2019, 22:32

Also,
I successfully performed a loopback test as per - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1965&p=25657&hilit=dacio#p25657

The programmer software shows at the bottom - Access Level: B (OEM) :14.6.0 COMMS INACTIVE
Cheers,
Vik

Postby woodygb » 16 Jun 2019, 22:33

I haven't had a 200 amp S-Drive to try out the cable on ...only the smaller versions.

I have however recently had much the same question from another member via P.M. who has the same non communication software problem with a 200 amp S-drive.

So...it's possible that the 200 is somehow different....
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 16 Jun 2019, 22:41

Vik ...I have sent you a P.M.

You could also try some different resistor values... 33k works as does 47k ... perhaps try something in the middle?

Note that 33k was recommended by a member ( that used a scope ) after having non communication issues with a 47k value.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Vik » 23 Jun 2019, 14:53

Hi All,

Finally managed to get the 14.6.0 software talking to my S-drive 200Amp controller! using the Serial converter module I posted in a link above and mods as per above posts.
I did this by removing the 33k(47k) resistor altogether.
The process I used is as follows:
1 - Without anything connected to the 4-pin Molex plug on the controller, I turned on the controller, and checked the DC voltages available on pins 3 and 4 with a multimeter
2 - confirmed with a TTL logic probe that there were data pulses on those pins.

My reasoning was that because there is 5 volts supplied by the controller on pin 4 of the molex, when the controller is 'On' then there is no need for further voltage to be supplied via the resistor from the USB of the PC.
NOTE: I have only tried this on the S-drive 200Amp controller.

A huge thanks to Woody and Burgerman for providing this forum and those who share their knowledge and experiences here.
Cheers,
Vik

Postby Alex.L » 16 Jul 2019, 16:59

I've been looking for quite some time after information about the S-drive controller. This is brilliant, so thanks everyone for this!

I was wondering if it would be possible to receive a link to download the programmer software? I was thinking I'll try to build a cable for my mobility scooter. I have the 45A controller, same as the one shown a couple of posts up.

Thanks again for all the time and efforts in the guides to build the cables and all the other information here :clap
Alex.L

Postby Alex.L » 16 Jul 2019, 20:14

Just wanted to make sure, the part that Woodygb is linking to, one like this I believe:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3520215609

Can be used instead of a ftdi cable for communicating med the S-Drive controller?
Alex.L

Postby woodygb » 16 Jul 2019, 23:14

That should work.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Alex.L » 17 Jul 2019, 06:33

woodygb wrote:That should work.

Thank you :thumbup:
Alex.L

Postby bikewoo » 17 Nov 2019, 18:48

Hi, I'm new so please excuse me if its a daft question. is it possible to buy a cable and program for a drive controllers?
bikewoo

Postby woodygb » 17 Nov 2019, 19:45

Making a cable is not that difficult IF you can solder... I can however make one for you if you wish.

The program can be found out on the web.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby NJChevyGuy » 02 Jan 2020, 16:50

I'm getting "Checksum Error Detected" when connecting to an S-Drive using Curtis Program

First...You guys are amazing!! ...I've been doing a lot of reading on these forums.

I assembled cables, as per the recommended connections using FTDI FTS232-RL chips but get an “Initialization of communication interface failed, Checksum Error Detected” message using either the Curtis 1314-4401 or 1314-4402 software. The error box pops up when I try to connect, after a few seconds attempting the connection. Oh, and before anyone asks...YES..the controller is powered up. :lol: I am disconnecting the existing 4-pin Molex that has a single Inhibit wire, plugging in the communication cable Molex, and turning the scooter power on.

I tried both the 3.3v and the 5v signal versions of the cable with the same results. Using FD_prog, VID/PID is set and TX/RX are inverted, and the regedit change for IAL is entered after a first run of the 4402 software initializes the other registry keys. OEM Level is then properly recognized/set as the default. Using DACIO_RS232, the typed characters are looped back.

I’ve tried various COM ports with both Serial and Enhanced Serial. With Serial it sees the cable. I tried both 33k and 47k ohm resistors, and both the Curtis 4402 1309 USB 10/20/2010 v2.8.2.0 drivers and the newer FTDI 07/12/2013 v2.8.30.0 drivers.

Using either cable with the FTDI factory default settings, I can connect and reprogram the controller using the PG Drives PC Mobility Programmer 14.6.0 “Dealer” software. The parameter changes to Forward Acceleration & Forward Deceleration work fine, but I want to access more than the Dealer parameters. I’ve also tried using the “Checksum Correction” feature of this software, with no difference. This software will not work with inverted TX/RX signals, and doesn't care what the VID/PID are set to. For the Molex connections, I have #1=Black, #2 Not Used, #3 & #4 tied together for TX/RX.

FYI: I get the exact same results with either the 3.3v or 5v cables, and with either the 33k or 47k resistors (I have a variable resistor box). The software will not recognize the cable if I reverse the diode or if I remove the resistor connection to the red 5v Vcc USB line. I get the same results with Windows 7 or Windows 10. Wondering if my prototyped cable (with alligator clips and the resistor box) was a problem, I soldered up a real cable....same result.

BTW...I've converted the 15ah SLA batteries to a custom 60ah Lithium Ion pack I built. The pack voltage was 26v to 26.4v while doing these tests.

Questions:
#1: Is it safe to assume the controller is OK and its TX/RX controller ports are working properly since the older PC Mobility Programmer software works perfectly, the scooter runs perfectly, and the changes I made work as expected? I ask this because for a time, the inhibit wire was connected to XLR pin #1 with a diode, to inhibit scooter use when charging, instead of it being wired to pin #3.

#2: Is it safe to assume all of my cable connections have been confirmed by #1 working fine?

#3: Is the checksum being verified from within the S-Drive controller (not from within the FDTI cable parameters)?

#4: Can I set the PC Mobility Programmer software to a high level than Dealer?
NJChevyGuy

Postby Burgerman » 02 Jan 2020, 17:17

I'm getting "Checksum Error Detected" when connecting to an S-Drive using Curtis Program

First...You guys are amazing!! ...I've been doing a lot of reading on these forums.

I assembled cables, as per the recommended connections using FTDI FTS232-RL chips but get an “Initialization of communication interface failed, Checksum Error Detected” message using either the Curtis 1314-4401 or 1314-4402 software.

You are confused!

This is an S-Drive https://www.cw-industrialgroup.com/Prod ... Drive.aspx

It is CURTISS not CURTIS.
The Curtis company is a different company that make different controllers. That one is Curtis Instruments. Their software is not going to work with the Curtis Wright - formerly Peny and giles or PG Drives that made your controller.

See pm.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby NJChevyGuy » 02 Jan 2020, 18:47

Ok...WOW....that was a big screw up on my part.
I've been tearing out what hair I have left trying to figure it out before I bothered asking on here.

Thank you Burgerman!!!!!
NJChevyGuy

Postby allbike » 10 Jan 2020, 21:21

Hello

I,m A new member of this forum from the netherlands.
i did already build a cable but i,m still looking for the right software it,s an S-drive controller D51445.04
i hope you can help me.

Greetings Tim
allbike

Postby woodygb » 10 Jan 2020, 21:48

Hi Tim,
Welcome and check your messages.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby allbike » 11 Jan 2020, 10:52

Big Thanx woody...

installed the program on my laptop and the program works.
set the program on comm3 and the port also on comm3 no warning message but still is the com inactive..
i,m going to search the forum for solutions haha or maybe i did something wrong with the cable..will do a looptest..
allbike

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jan 2020, 11:41

Try a DIFFERENT port like 8. The lower ones never work for me.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 11 Jan 2020, 12:24

That's weird BM, the lower COM ports work for me like COM3, COM4... Never had any issues. czy

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby woodygb » 11 Jan 2020, 14:20

allbike wrote:Big Thanx woody...

set the program on comm3 and the port also on comm3 no warning message but still is the com inactive..
i,m going to search the forum for solutions haha or maybe i did something wrong with the cable..will do a looptest..

You could try a different resistor value. 33k - 47k seems to be the range.

I now use 47k and a Schottky diode instead of the 1N4148.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby NJChevyGuy » 12 Jan 2020, 03:44

allbike wrote:Big Thanx woody...

Don't forget to power up the controller by turning on your chair/scooter. The cable has a connection to 5v, but that doesn't provide power to the controller.
I used Woody's cable connections as in the diagram, and it worked 1st shot.
NJChevyGuy

Postby allbike » 13 Jan 2020, 20:52

hello everybody..

No luck yet.. still comms inactive... tried every port..tried 33k and 47k and double checked the diode direction
program does see the port but there's no communication with the chair

the usb chip i'm using is the ch340g....( https://www.conrad.nl/p/joy-it-sbc-ttl- ... -m-2149077 )

is it possible that i got to use the fdti ttl with an fdti chip?
allbike

Postby Burgerman » 13 Jan 2020, 21:27

Yes. I have com port and cumunication issues with everything other than fdti
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 13 Jan 2020, 23:01

allbike wrote:hello everybody..

No luck yet.. still comms inactive... tried every port..tried 33k and 47k and double checked the diode direction
program does see the port but there's no communication with the chair

the usb chip i'm using is the ch340g....( https://www.conrad.nl/p/joy-it-sbc-ttl- ... -m-2149077 )

is it possible that i got to use the fdti ttl with an fdti chip?

Try without the 5v & resistor.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby NJChevyGuy » 14 Jan 2020, 18:25

woodygb wrote:Try without the 5v & resistor.

Woody,
Out of curiosity, what is/was the purpose of the 5v w/resistor?
Steve
NJChevyGuy

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair