Frontier v6 AT Rollin on the beach at Coney Island

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Frontier v6 AT Rollin on the beach at Coney Island

Postby Rollin Positive » 06 Sep 2019, 23:04

As some of you that follow my Wife and I on social media know we just came back from an amazing vacation in New York City.

One of the big events for us was taking a maiden voyage to walk on the beach in my new Frontier v6 AT.

So we headed out to Coney Island by subway and the chair was incredible!

In soft deep sand it rolled right to the waters edge and we rolled around for a good 2 hours, then had lunch at Nathans and did some shopping.

You would think the deep sand would take its toll on the batteries but we did a 10 mile day and still had 2 green lights!

I have had some of you message me on the Frontier chairs as I am the new Brand Ambassador for Frontier so if I can answer any questions please let me know.

They do have a fundable Frontier c73!

https://nebula.wsimg.com/4ab45448fa8...&alloworigin=1

youtu.be/wos6fiSzmG4

youtu.be/FkG8yqa9a1s
Rollin Positive

Re: Frontier v6 AT Rollin on the beach at Coney Island

Postby martin007 » 06 Sep 2019, 23:20

Be careful with the sand.
The sand is treacherous...
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 07 Sep 2019, 00:28

new Brand Ambassador for Frontier

What does this mean exactly? You have some relationship with the company or just an owner?
I may buy a rear drive version one day. Called V4 here. I like them. Its basically a ready built BM2 although its a little longer and wider.
If I can get them to do a sensible deal. I did look when I bought this:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7455&start=600#p122818

The reason I didnt buy was price. And the fact that they appeared to use the lower powered 90A controller. It was almost exactly double the cost that I paid for the Salsa with more power, including the mods I did. For almost the exact same running gear/electronics/battery and options.

So it would seem rather heavily overpriced. Yes you will talk about "funded" but that doesent apply most places. Only for some in the US. Admittedly there are quite a few here from the US! (about 41% of traffic)

There's also readers and regular posters here from south american countries, russia, vietnam, france, Czeck republic (cant spell that!), hungary, poland, france, germany, UK, Italy, portugal, spain switzerland, ireland, and many other EU countries, india, indonesia, and australia, south korea, hong kong, and more.

So price matters. Esp if its the same cost as TWO similar specified alternative manufacturer chairs. They appear to price them like permobil, in the reasuringly expensive bracket. But made from all the exact same parts as the cheaper alternative chairs. Other than fatter wheels/tyres. But I fit those in various sizes to all my chairs anyway.

But price aside, I would love a 120A version of the V4 with 210Ah of lithium battery. Save 50lb of weight, 5x the range. That would be quite a tool.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0065/ ... 0350154729
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Gnomatic » 07 Sep 2019, 01:31

Awesome, Timm!

The off-pavement performance of the V6 is hard to beat. I can't think of another stock 2WD indoor/outdoor chair that comes close. I love both of mine. Pretty much every other 'standard' wheelchair feels like a toy to me once outside the house. So I have no interest.

I just recently got my second V6, this time through insurance and not used from ebay. I went for the C73, and ordered all the upgrades that turn it into a V6, expecting to have to pay for those. My insurance initially scoffed at even the base C73. But after a few back and fourths over a few months, they paid for a V6 with all the seating options. I was pretty fortunate to get it 100% funded.
Gnomatic

Postby Gnomatic » 07 Sep 2019, 01:59

Burgerman wrote:And the fact that they appeared to use the lower powered 90A controller.

I too wish they used the 120A PM. I'm going to try to install one on my older V6 as the original PM(5yrs old) I suspect is on the way out. It has suddenly developed overheating issues on anything but flat pavement. Its lasted me much longer than any of the Dynamic PM's on older chairs so I'm not complaining.

I have the OEM programmer ect so will try to basically copy/paste the chair's current settings back over after the 120A PM is installed. Wish me luck.
Gnomatic

Postby Rollin Positive » 07 Sep 2019, 02:56

martin007 wrote:Be careful with the sand.
The sand is treacherous...

No I had a x5 and had no issues what so ever...was one of the few chairs that kept on going, and going and going.

Sand or street...

One time I had a wave hit me it was over my waste!

Had a bunch of joggers push me to the dry sand and called Innovation in Motion.

They said let it dry out and in about 15 20 min it powered back on but it was in inhibit. So I was able to roll back to the street and 30 min later after it dried out it ran fine!

We took it back to Arizona and blew out the sand and it worked fine for another 3 years till I sold in in May.
Rollin Positive

Postby Rollin Positive » 07 Sep 2019, 03:04

Burgerman wrote:
new Brand Ambassador for Frontier

What does this mean exactly?

Its a partnership I am helping them build a bigger social media presence, helping address questions for end users wanting to buy or fund.

Its a world wide chair so I have talked to people in different countries already that have funded the chair based on their countries requirements.

Plus there is a cottage industry of users that buy used. There is a nice mid wheel now on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Magic-Mob ... SwmAJdX~Rn

I think of of the best traits the Frontier chairs have is they are durable and for gel batteries getting much better miles then that of Permobil and Pride!
Rollin Positive

Postby Rollin Positive » 07 Sep 2019, 03:09

Gnomatic wrote:Awesome, Timm!

The off-pavement performance of the V6 is hard to beat. I can't think of another stock 2WD indoor/outdoor chair that comes close. I love both of mine. Pretty much every other 'standard' wheelchair feels like a toy to me once outside the house. So I have no interest.

I just recently got my second V6, this time through insurance and not used from ebay. I went for the C73, and ordered all the upgrades that turn it into a V6, expecting to have to pay for those. My insurance initially scoffed at even the base C73. But after a few back and fourths over a few months, they paid for a V6 with all the seating options. I was pretty fortunate to get it 100% funded.

Thank you I agree to have the durability inside and outside is amazing. Having come from years or Pride chairs and Permobil they just dont last and always in some state of needing fixing.

I also agree as an advocate in the US its amazing how much this industry doesn't want to fund Frontier but on a side note have no problem pushing Pride because the make a higher profit margin!

I had a conference call with VP from a nation wide DME who said...I wont sell those because I dont make any money on that sale!
Rollin Positive

Postby Burgerman » 07 Sep 2019, 09:21

Because every other manufacturer offers the dealer the usual 30 ot 40% discount. Thats the same across most industries. So starting with a chair that is already somewhat overpriced, like permobil, and seemingly not interested in offering the usual trade discounts, I can understand that. Its the reason I too do not have a V4.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ICEUK » 07 Sep 2019, 10:04

How wide is v6 with the big wheels on?
ICEUK

Postby Burgerman » 07 Sep 2019, 10:23

Claimed 27.5 inches. But I measured one on my van ramp, and its actually a touch over 28 with tyre spread and a user on board. So call it 28 and a 1/4 if you want accuraccy. Suppose it depends on tyre and tyre pressure. Also a little long. So feels very big indoors. But thats why it works well outdoors. The rear drive V4 is a fair bit shorter. But still 28 wide.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Dan » 07 Sep 2019, 10:35

There is a cheap Frontier MWD V6 in Worcester on ebay.

£1500
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGIC-MOBILI ... SwcHVdZWb~

Does not say if its 4,6 or 8MPH.
I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.
Dan

Postby Burgerman » 07 Sep 2019, 11:06

I think they are all around 7 to 7.5. Depends on the tyres fitted mostly. Somewhere in between with stock 145 tyres. --unless programmed slower.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rollin Positive » 07 Sep 2019, 21:12

Burgerman wrote:Because every other manufacturer offers the dealer the usual 30 ot 40% discount. Thats the same across most industries. So starting with a chair that is already somewhat overpriced, like permobil, and seemingly not interested in offering the usual trade discounts, I can understand that. Its the reason I too do not have a V4.

In the US people forget buying a chair is still a sales transaction so EVERYTHING is sways negotiable.

Meaning when I funded my Permobil F3 I was declined on some features I really wanted and Numotion Phx at the time had a real jerk of a manager (who was since been fired) so they didn't want to lose that chair not being bought so I got the features at cost!

Dont kid yourself there is still money to be made on chairs so do not feel guilty for not wanting to pay MSRP on a chair or features.

In the US Medicare doesn't even pay retail why should we?
Rollin Positive

Postby Rollin Positive » 07 Sep 2019, 21:15

ICEUK wrote:How wide is v6 with the big wheels on?

Ill check but I know it fits on our ramp van no problem so its less then 29"

It works fine in my home took about a 2 week time line to get use to the mid wheel and wider foot print.

I also have a set of standard drive tires too.
Rollin Positive

Postby Jay_x » 11 Sep 2019, 04:11

what is the fastest a Frontier chair will go?

also, how stable is the seat lift?

the lift on my bounder is super stable, but the lift on my old permobil was terrifyingly unstable.
Jay_x

Postby Burgerman » 11 Sep 2019, 09:57

A little 7 to 7.5mph with the fat tyres. If programmed at max speed. Seat lift no idea, but its much the same as the ones that quickie etc use.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Gnomatic » 11 Sep 2019, 17:24

The V6 has a long and wide base, so the chair seems pretty stable to me when elevated. As far as speed goes I've seen websites list the top speed spec at 6.5mph and other sites list the same chair at 7.5mph. So I take those numbers with a grain of salt. As BM mentioned, a lot depends on the tires, and how full they are. When I go to the beach I lower the air pressure in my tires a bit. Which slows the chairs top speed, but gives the chair better flotation on light fluffy sand.. If I know I'm going to be rolling on pavement I fill them up good. Chair goes a bit faster this way. And of coarse programming matters.

And if you're running off a lithium pack you can bump up the max motor voltage and get a little a speed boost as well from that..
Gnomatic

Postby Jay_x » 11 Sep 2019, 19:34

Gnomatic wrote:The V6 has a long and wide base, so the chair seems pretty stable to me when elevated. As far as speed goes I've seen websites list the top speed spec at 6.5mph and other sites list the same chair at 7.5mph. So I take those numbers with a grain of salt. As BM mentioned, a lot depends on the tires, and how full they are. When I go to the beach I lower the air pressure in my tires a bit. Which slows the chairs top speed, but gives the chair better flotation on light fluffy sand.. If I know I'm going to be rolling on pavement I fill them up good. Chair goes a bit faster this way. And of coarse programming matters.

And if you're running off a lithium pack you can bump up the max motor voltage and get a little a speed boost as well from that..

thanks, what are you using to fill up your tires with?
Jay_x

Postby Burgerman » 11 Sep 2019, 20:50

Not sure what he uses but I keep a BMW tyre inflator in my van. Its got the usual anderson connector on it, and I power this from the chairs anderson connectors. I use it on all my 5 chairs weekly and my van too. Which has pirelli P Zero runflat tyres. Those cost e a fortune. They are 255/60 - 19.

You dont need the round thing on the left. Its just BMW tyre sealer...

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Jay_x » 11 Sep 2019, 22:00

yeah that looks very handy indeed.

no idea what an anderson connector is though, is that a UK thing?
Jay_x

Postby steves1977uk » 11 Sep 2019, 22:35

https://www.andersonpower.com/us/en.html Anderson began as an US company and now their connectors are used worldwide.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Jay_x » 11 Sep 2019, 22:40

ah, ok, thanks. Just never heard it referenced like that before
Jay_x

Postby Burgerman » 12 Sep 2019, 03:04

Fitting anderson connectors to your chair has MANY advantages.
I use them as a way to have 2x 12V outputs, and 2x 12V outputs IN PARALLEL for various reasons, as a 24V output, and all of this as inputs too.

So I can charge either battery seperately, at up to 100A. From charger, or directly from a car or van...
I can DISCHARGE either battery seperately, or in parallel at 12v, so I can start my van from my powerchair battery. I can and do also use it to power hobby chargers, connect chair to chair, balance batteries as I charge at 12V overnight, charge at high power directly from my van as I drive, or from a bench power supply at 40 or 50A as I check mail.

I also use it as a 24V charge connection. So I can charge with 24V chargers. I can also run 24V devices such as AC Inverters if the power is out or to power drills mowers and 101 other things. Because everything I have from tools to vehicles, my electric bed, all my PL8 and hyperion chargers, tyre inflators, drills, etc are all fitted with the same anderson 50 connectors.

Like this: https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/faster ... arging.htm

Heres an example - starting my carers van after he left the lights on all night. www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/starter.mp4
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rollin Positive » 12 Sep 2019, 19:26

Jay_x wrote:what is the fastest a Frontier chair will go?

also, how stable is the seat lift?

the lift on my bounder is super stable, but the lift on my old permobil was terrifyingly unstable.

The Frontier v6 AT goes 6.2 to 6.5 and I think the seat elevation is very comfortable and safe and even more stable then my Permobil F3

I want to say its a 12" lift on the Frontier
Rollin Positive

Postby Rollin Positive » 12 Sep 2019, 19:31

Gnomatic wrote:The V6 has a long and wide base, so the chair seems pretty stable to me when elevated. As far as speed goes I've seen websites list the top speed spec at 6.5mph and other sites list the same chair at 7.5mph. So I take those numbers with a grain of salt. As BM mentioned, a lot depends on the tires, and how full they are. When I go to the beach I lower the air pressure in my tires a bit. Which slows the chairs top speed, but gives the chair better flotation on light fluffy sand.. If I know I'm going to be rolling on pavement I fill them up good. Chair goes a bit faster this way. And of coarse programming matters.

I didnt lower the tire pressure this 1st time at Coney Island but normally I do down to 4 lbs vs 7 to 8 lbs street use.

Ill just roll in to a local bike shop by the beach and keep a low pressure gauge on me.

It really makes a difference to lower the pressure.
Rollin Positive

Postby segreen » 14 Sep 2019, 15:51

Got to say for what its worth I'm a great believer in Magic Mobility chairs. I have a X5 Mid wheel drive for real off terrain work and two V4 rear wheel drive chairs for everyday. Both V4 chairs have had 55mm cut out of their width and welded back together making them 26 inches wide with 145 off road tyres. They all have lift, tilt and articulating centre foot plates, lightweight F55 seats and fast charging 12v charging. I've been in a chair thirty-years and they're the best chairs I've ever had or made.
segreen

Postby Rollin Positive » 16 Sep 2019, 19:23

segreen wrote:Got to say for what its worth I'm a great believer in Magic Mobility chairs. I have a X5 Mid wheel drive for real off terrain work and two V4 rear wheel drive chairs for everyday. Both V4 chairs have had 55mm cut out of their width and welded back together making them 26 inches wide with 145 off road tyres. They all have lift, tilt and articulating centre foot plates, lightweight F55 seats and fast charging 12v charging. I've been in a chair thirty-years and they're the best chairs I've ever had or made.

Segreen: Thats great to hear and I 100% agree and they are so strong and durable. I think to many people see them as only an off road chair but I use mine in the house, in and out of our van no issue, church, the mall etc.

The miles I am getting again I could never reach on my Permobil and to now worry about getting stuck in deep wet grass, gravel or a steep incline that a smaller 100 -300 watt motor could not handle is a major relief!

Love hearing success stories like your!
Rollin Positive

Postby Jay_x » 19 Sep 2019, 18:51

seems like a great chair just REALLY wish it was faster!

6 mph is pretty slow, too slow for what I need to do
Jay_x

Postby Burgerman » 19 Sep 2019, 20:53

If it was faster it would have less range, no matter what speed you drive, and less torque proportionally. Not ideal for off road.

Or even ON road. When I ordered my last chair I chose 6mph over 8mph on purpose. The difference in cost was tiny. Because I understand the advantages.

I may also add that motor watts, has no bearing on maximum motor power, motor torque.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Next

Return to Everything Powerchair