Jazzy Air warentee issues

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Jazzy Air warentee issues

Postby flagman1776 » 12 Oct 2019, 01:02

An acquaintance got a Jazzy Air (Pride) 3 weeks ago. She's taken it outside 5 times. A castor wheel just "split". She's saying that wheels are not warranted.
I think that is BS unless there's obvious collision damage. It almost has to be a defective wheel. Anything mad e by human's can be defective. The maker has warentees to deal with such defects.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Re: Jazzy Air warentee issues

Postby Rhonda » 12 Oct 2019, 02:54

If I have done this correctly there is a photo of the right wheel caster that is spit with a chunk out of it. Indeed I have only had the chair 3 weeks. This is a Jazzy Air. I contacted the medical supply place I purchased the chair they are supposed to take look at it Monday afternoon. According to my owners manual wheels are not covered in the warranty. How an this happen with a new chair. A guy who lives down the street from me has the Jazzy Air 2 he said his battery went the first five months. I really love this chair. It has changed my life, but I am so disappointed. Thanks Flagman1776 for helping a lady out.
Rhonda

Postby flagman1776 » 12 Oct 2019, 03:20

Glad to see you made it. Here's your picture:
I don't see how you could have caused that unless you used an axe on it!
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 12 Oct 2019, 03:23

TYRES are not covered. They are a wear item like brake pads or clutches in a car. The WHEEL is a metal part not subject to wear. If its failed then thats because of manufacturing or design issues and so it IS covered under warrantee. Unless its an all in one tyre/wheel as is sometimmes fitted to small shopping centre type devices. In which case it may NOT be a warranty part. Bit even then, theres a huge difference between unexpected failure, and normal wear through use, or abuse.

So its important to understand why/what failed. But at 6 weeks, I would throw it back to the manufacturer.

But that tyre looks OLD and dried out and so has failed due to rubber deteriorating over time. And that metalwork looks old rusty and tired too. So hardly 3 weeks old. :argument
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rollin Positive » 12 Oct 2019, 05:51

Rhonda wrote:If I have done this correctly there is a photo of the right wheel caster that is spit with a chunk out of it. Indeed I have only had the chair 3 weeks. This is a Jazzy Air. I contacted the medical supply place I purchased the chair they are supposed to take look at it Monday afternoon. According to my owners manual wheels are not covered in the warranty. How an this happen with a new chair. A guy who lives down the street from me has the Jazzy Air 2 he said his battery went the first five months. I really love this chair. It has changed my life, but I am so disappointed. Thanks Flagman1776 for helping a lady out.

Pride tires have always fallen apart so be careful with curb cuts, and street edges etc that can slice in to the side of the tire and pop out chunks!

I would email Scott Meuser CEO @pridemobility and share your story in how much you like your chair and how its changed your life but this tire issue is a concern as the chair is so new plus send that picture.

For him its a PR move and I am sure you can get a tire sent to you.

Scott's email is SMeuser@pridemobility.com
Rollin Positive

Postby rover220 » 12 Oct 2019, 07:23

as a dealer we would just replace that at that age and take the hit on the chin as manufacturers would very rarely cover that
rover220

Postby wheelie junkie » 12 Oct 2019, 10:29

Does the US have anything similar to our Sale of goods act or consumer protection?. In the UK if the fault is under 6 months, take back to the seller and they have to fix or replace, that has little to do with the manufacturer, the seller needs to get in touch with manufacturer if they want a refund from then.

Ignore 1 year manufacturer warranties you claim against the seller and it can be up to 5 or 6 years to report the defect, unlikely that you could prove it was there from the beginning though. Many dealers quote that goods only have a 1 year warranty, explain that they are responsible for at least 2 years and any manufacturer warranty is in addition to your consumer rights and contract with seller is the important bit.
wheelie junkie

Postby wheelie junkie » 12 Oct 2019, 10:34

rover220 wrote:as a dealer we would just replace that at that age and take the hit on the chin as manufacturers would very rarely cover that

You have a contract with the manufacturer, nothing to do with a warranty, if they supply defective goods they are responsible for replacing them. It would be up to them to prove goods weren't defective in the first 6 months not you to prove that they were. After that it swaps around where you have to prove that they are defective.
wheelie junkie

Postby LROBBINS » 12 Oct 2019, 14:59

No, the U.S. doesn't have the equivalent of the EU-wide 2 year guarantee of conformity.
LROBBINS

Postby wheelie junkie » 12 Oct 2019, 17:05

LROBBINS wrote:No, the U.S. doesn't have the equivalent of the EU-wide 2 year guarantee of conformity.

UK has it's own system with 6 years and 5 in Scotland slightly better than the rest of the EU. https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/c ... dex_en.htm It is based around a contract between buyer and seller, I'm surprised that the US doesn't have an equivalent.
wheelie junkie

Return to Everything Powerchair