Kymco K Activ Mods

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Kymco K Activ Mods

Postby NackerNed » 15 Oct 2019, 11:57

Hi, I’m hoping to modify my K Activ to use on the beach as well as around town (indoors not necessary). Had endless problems with it so now time to strip it back and make it half decent. Never done anything like this before so need all the help anyone can kindly give. I want to get decent power from it as extremely hilly where I am along with more range. I’m 22st so you get the picture. I’d like to ditch the electronic brake and the hideous clicking that comes with it and ditch the lead batteries for lithium. Is there anywhere in the UK to reasonably buy parts for the job? Love the look of the wider low pressure wheels but haven’t a clue where to get them or install them. Sorry to sound so useless but need to be able to get out and about more. Thanks in advance. Mark.
NackerNed

Re: Kymco K Activ Mods

Postby Burgerman » 15 Oct 2019, 12:12

I suggest you start at the begining.

To get some ideas, you might read the 5 or 6 pages here. I am not suggesting you copy. But to understand what and why. So you will know what to do. http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair.htm

Then

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/power-w ... f-road.htm 4 or 5 pages...

Then

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM-MK3- ... rchair.htm

Then have a serious think.
You will need good 4 or 6mph 4 pole motors, not 2.
You will need a 100 or 120A control system
You will need to naeeow the thing, and turn batteiy north south, to give room for the battery and fat tyres/rims.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby NackerNed » 15 Oct 2019, 13:00

Thanks for the fast reply! Your builds are inspirational and are exactly what I’m looking for. Just a quick search on eBay for 4 pole motors to start brings up nothing. Where do I buy the parts?
NackerNed

Postby Irving » 15 Oct 2019, 13:26

NackerNed wrote:Thanks for the fast reply! Your builds are inspirational and are exactly what I’m looking for. Just a quick search on eBay for 4 pole motors to start brings up nothing. Where do I buy the parts?

This is where you need to do lots of research. Look for motors from a specific chair e.g. Puma40 motors are all 4 pole, but a close look at the picture will confirm if it's 2 or 4 pole. But the fixings, drive shaft dimensions, etc may be very different. Another issue you will have is that you have no idea how used they are.. at best they might only need new brushes, at worst the bearings & commutator could be shot.
C5/6 A (complete)
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
Irving

Postby Irving » 15 Oct 2019, 13:38

Further thoughts...

Given you've not done this before, and not knowing your engineering skills, fitting random 3rd-party motors to an existing chair may be an uphill struggle. It might be better to look for a complete donor chair that is the starting point for mods. A good set of motors will probably set you back £200 - 300, you could pick up a whole chair for not much more.
C5/6 A (complete)
Irving

Postby NackerNed » 15 Oct 2019, 18:40

Thanks for that. I'm a turner by trade and a time served mechanical engineer so my brain is up to the job, it's my physical condition that lets me down. However I'm sure with a bit of patience I'll get there. My Kymco is now stripped and I will replace every nut and bolt as it is all utter rubbish. The wiring is also shocking but the chassis seems very workable. Always open to any ideas and appreciate the input. :thumbup:
NackerNed

Postby woodygb » 15 Oct 2019, 23:05

Hi Mark,
Please add your approx location in U.K.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby NackerNed » 15 Oct 2019, 23:46

Hi there, I'm in Merseyside.
NackerNed

Postby Irving » 16 Oct 2019, 00:20

NackerNed wrote:Hi there, I'm in Merseyside.

Thx :D now add it to your profile please so it appears on the right.
C5/6 A (complete)
Irving

Postby NackerNed » 16 Oct 2019, 10:39

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2674799406

Would this be a better idea as a donor?
NackerNed

Postby Burgerman » 16 Oct 2019, 10:57

If you only want the frame. The purple bit. And caster forks if not bent or corroded.The rest is junk.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair