Bloodhound LSR (speed record attempt)

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Bloodhound LSR (speed record attempt)

Postby foghornleghorn » 29 Oct 2019, 19:40

bloodhound-south-africa.jpg

For anyone else who had forgotten all about this they have finally got as far as some proper testing in South Africa.

Youtube channel here https://www.youtube.com/user/1050mph/vi ... _polymer=1

I can't see 1000mph coming with how much it weaves around due to the wind at 250.
foghornleghorn

Re: Bloodhound LSR (speed record attempt)

Postby Burgerman » 29 Oct 2019, 20:49

Seems to me that its way too narrow track, wheels too small, far too over engineered and over complex. And they have team of around 80 people and a small town in the desert.

They think 330mph in 20 seconds is fast. I watched sammy miller in vanishing point, a team of 1, in an old funny car chassis, with a hydrogem peroxide rocket motor, go 386mph in around 3.something seconds, on road tyres, in the 80s... At santa pod on a saturday.

So I am not overly impressed. But watching it anyway, just because it will beat the americans! :thumbup:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby clairc » 29 Oct 2019, 21:10

Burgerman wrote:They think 330mph in 20 seconds is fast. I watched sammy miller in vanishing point, a team of 1, in an old funny car chassis, with a hydrogem peroxide rocket motor, go 386mph in around 3.something seconds, on road tyres, in the 80s... At santa pod on a saturday.

Was that the one that smashed all the windows in the control tower? My husband was there watching with his brother.
clairc

Postby Burgerman » 29 Oct 2019, 21:59

Thats the one. I was racing a street/superbike nitrous suzuki that weekend...

I was around 70 feet behind it, sat on the ground leant against the rear fence where all the drag bikes were waiting. Got showered in glass and dust, Fortunately most of it was plastic. I think. looked up to see a car disapear so fast I couldnt focus on it. Sammy miller was an ex oil worker, just wanted to go fast! Still unbeaten quarter mile record to this day. And it was only powered to around 300yards. It was freewheeling/slowing as it went through the 1/4 mile line. That thing was a bit overpowered...

in 1982?, some 37 years ago. Still unbeaten anywhere on the planet. Fastest drag strip run in history.

Apologies for the shit 80s video!

youtu.be/Jp_0oMQnhlo
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 29 Oct 2019, 22:20

That car ran crap almost every time. Then now and again it just worked right! Theres not a single decent video of it doing it though.

Actual run was: (WIKIPEDIA) 3.58 seconds to 386.26 mph (621.61 km/h), Vanishing Point rocket-propelled funny car in July 1984.

Kind of makes the world speed record bloodhound car look rather gutless. It accelerates over 4x slower!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 31 Oct 2019, 15:41

foghornleghorn wrote:
bloodhound-south-africa.jpg

For anyone else who had forgotten all about this they have finally got as far as some proper testing in South Africa.

Youtube channel here https://www.youtube.com/user/1050mph/vi ... _polymer=1

I can't see 1000mph coming with how much it weaves around due to the wind at 250.

I can't see the point of it apart from being an expensive vanity project. I totally got braking the land sound barrier (natural law), but 1000mph is just an arbitrary figure invented by man. They could have saved some cash an opted for 1000km/h.
Scooterman

Postby foghornleghorn » 31 Oct 2019, 19:55

Nedded to be something higher than the current 760mph record.
foghornleghorn

Postby Burgerman » 31 Oct 2019, 21:23

Take something like sammy millars car, but make it 4x longer, at a cost of 2% of that record car, hit the gas for longer than 2 to 3 seconds and you can go as fast as you want. Its accelerating at many G even at 400mph. Its got plenty of go. You just need big b***s.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 01 Nov 2019, 02:58

Burgerman wrote:Its accelerating at many G even at 400mph. Its got plenty of go. You just need big b***s.
I'm surprised the driver doesn't black out, or worse!

I think in an accident when you come to a sudden stop your body is restrained by seat belt or better still harness. But your organs must still carry on traveling forward inside your body?

Accelerating fast is the opposite, body goes forward organs get left behind?

Only my guess, maybe it's nothing of the sort.

Fighter pilots black out but I think it comes on 'slowish' as the g-force in a turn forces the blood downwards away from the brain :problem:

I remember being sick when I got off that gravity g-force wheel thing at the funfair. The ride where you're pinned to the side as it's turns vertical :ambulance
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 01 Nov 2019, 05:43

Yes Gs hurt. I used to fly gliders, sailplanes. A relatively tame 3.5G tight turn after a short dive to increase speed is extremely uncomfortable. And enough for me after around 5 secs.

Accelerating, on a fast stock bike, will give you around 2.7 secs to 60. Thats 1G. Of course drag bikes are harder accelerating than this.
A top-fuel dragster can go from 0-100 MPH is about 0.86 second. And 300mph in under 4 secs. That kind of acceleration is worth about 5.3g.

Sammy millars rocket car has 12,000lb of thrust from memory. Although was set to give 5500lb at santa pod raceway. Weighs around 900 lb (or less) because of no engine/transmission/rear axle/diff etc. So can potentially accelerate at 12G or more even if sammy cant! It had a hand held dead mans 'lanyard' device where if he blacked out or release grip on a thumb pressure squeeze button, it shut off power and released the chute in case he got it wrong. You didnt so much drive that car as fire it. He said that it made his nose and ears bleed on most runs. Unlike a fighter pilot the blood is pushed towards his head.

More https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=347996
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 01 Nov 2019, 07:04

I'm so envious! I used to work next door to Lasham airfield which is quite a famous gliding centre? I had a go at getting into a training glider but even back then my joints had started to swell and stiffen and I couldn't bend me knees enough to get my feet in. The cockpits are quite snug.

But we used to watch them swoop and do aerobatics in the distance. I didn't realise they pulled so many Gs'

Flight always looks so serene but I think it can be a lot bumpier up in the air than it looks from the ground.

What is it like being up in air? I did think of hang-gliding as an alternative as you don't have to contort your legs to get in a tight cockpit, but I think it's pretty dangerous. I doesn't seem so popular now as it once was.

Did you have to pay to race at santa pod and other drag strips?

I've often thought that when you had your accident and your life changed dramatically what happened to your business and everything? Did others sort it for you while you was in a coma, or did you have to sort it all out when you got discharged a year or two later?
Scooterman

Postby Irving » 01 Nov 2019, 07:23

The CEO of the company that did our in-house IT back in the day was also a biggie at Lasham Gliding Club and a champion x-country glider pilot (sort of like orienteering by air). Anyway he used to invite a bunch of us to Lasham for a days gliding a couple of times a year & I went on a few such. I experienced my first 'unpowered' loop there; I'd done powered ones before but this was something else!
C5/6 A (complete)
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
Irving

Postby Burgerman » 01 Nov 2019, 11:42

Yes, sailplanes are much closer to a fighter jet in the way the cockpits, joystick, lay down/back seating experience tight cockpit close canopy, parachute as well as the control sensitivity etc is. They are or can be, very sensitive, and precise, and can pull many Gs, and fly at high speed if you choose that.

If a fighter jet resembles anything roadgoing its a formula1 car, a glider is a motorcycle, and a light aircraft is grocery getting family car. An airliner is a bus and its pilots fly it as one.

Because a glider is a very clean aerodynamic machine, compared to all other flying machines. One that can dive and in a few secs, double or triple its speed for a few mins, and keep it. Making for a high performance accurate high G machine aerobatic machine. Some modern stuff is extremely high performance.

Did you have to pay to race at santa pod and other drag strips?

I've often thought that when you had your accident and your life changed dramatically what happened to your business and everything? Did others sort it for you while you was in a coma, or did you have to sort it all out when you got discharged a year or two later?

Depends. Sometimes theres an entry fee. Mostly the expense is the go faster tuning parts, 150 quid tyres every weekend, wrecked gearboxes, or burned piston or whatever and paying for breakages, staying every 3rd or 4th weekend away, fuel, etc. But I made it pay because I was building and selling nitrous injection systems, selling automotive dynamometers etc. Businesses just stopped... Nobody else knows how. Who do you send exactly to test bikes, or wheelie it down a 2 mile runway at daft speeds for a laugh... Or to build, and configure a nitrous solenoid and jet it correctly, or to dyno test a bunch of bikes?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 01 Nov 2019, 14:41

3.5G max, and 140knots max. 1st time. Most of flight about 2G, -1, at the end he does a 3.5G turn, and she tries to push up her hands and pulls a struggling face. Trust me, its WAY more uncomfortable than it appears here!

youtu.be/fVflrJ4vWLk

The bit of string, wool or plastic that you see stuck o the outside of the windscreen is found on all gliders. It shows the pilot or more importantly the student the airflow. It shows sideslip. The glider should be aligned with the airflow or you cause drag and may stall in a turn.

So it shows you which way to add rudder to correct the sideslip. As you use aileron stick, to bank the plane into a turn, the downgoing aileron makes more lift. And drag... Which with long thin wings means that right aileron input, will cause a left yaw. That means the glider will enter a turn with the nose high, and sideslipping. The string shows how much to correct, and when its in line, you fixed it!

Keeping it straight, and turning, are the two things you learn first. Both of these things require that you balance elevator, aileron, and rudder simultaniously. Its a balance. If you have to think about this as you do it its hard! If you are used to this, you do it on a subconcous autopilot level and never think about it. Like learning to ride a bycycle. Its hard till something clicks. Then its easy.

Just in case you were wondering.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 06 Nov 2019, 13:56

485MPH reached.

youtu.be/mrerP1ae6A4
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby foghornleghorn » 06 Nov 2019, 14:20

The camera they buried and the one on the side of the vehicle do a good job of showing how much loose crap there is laying on the ground. No wonder it gets damaged on each run.
foghornleghorn

Postby Burgerman » 06 Nov 2019, 14:48

You would think they would just use a bit of motorway. Theres flat straight bits in places that could be used.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby foghornleghorn » 07 Nov 2019, 14:28

501mph :D

Halfway to target now.

youtu.be/4yq_gevX9tI
foghornleghorn

Postby foghornleghorn » 16 Nov 2019, 12:24

628mph this morning. No video yet.

Almost made it to 1983 now (634.051mph) in terms of yearly records.
foghornleghorn

Postby Burgerman » 16 Nov 2019, 13:11

They should just stand on it and grit teeth instead of making it all like some big drama queen thing. Car or weather will be worn out before they get and speed.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Lord Chatterley » 17 Nov 2019, 17:47

foghornleghorn wrote:The camera they buried and the one on the side of the vehicle do a good job of showing how much loose crap there is laying on the ground. No wonder it gets damaged on each run.

As I understand it, it's not just a matter of more thrust = more speed. As the car approaches the speed of sound the pressure waves advancing from the nose become more compressed and turn the hard sandy surface into a semi -liquid so it's really 1000 mph on blancmange.

Rather him than me.

LC
Lord Chatterley

Postby foghornleghorn » 03 Mar 2020, 21:56

Begging for money again.

youtu.be/G97pLfwZkOw
foghornleghorn

Postby Burgerman » 04 Mar 2020, 09:49

it's really 1000 mph on blancmange.

Now I am hungry. :D
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything