This is what you get when you live in social housing

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

This is what you get when you live in social housing

Postby Scooterman » 05 Nov 2019, 15:27

I won’t get the matching cold tap until that one goes wrong. But by then the new lever hot tap will probably have been discontinued So I still have mismatched taps
Attachments
7065A668-A891-479A-9C24-C2181A7C55A0.jpeg
Scooterman

Re: This is what you get when you live in social housing

Postby Burgerman » 05 Nov 2019, 17:13

Well the solution to those 2 problems, is.

1. get rid of that upside down apple thing. Or the water wont stay in the sink.
2. Dont rent.

You said you were looking to buy again. That way, YOU decide what taps, what everything. If you live in a house that isnt yours you get no choice. like living under a communist system. :argument

P.S. prob 3...
That sink has no overflow connected. So any exsess water goes into the base unit and it rots and disintegrates. Causing your landlord more expense to replace, or you a smelly kitchen that is damp and units that are falling apart.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 05 Nov 2019, 20:58

I totally agree with all that!

This spring/summer I'm definitely looking for my own place. If I was buying in a 10 mile radius it would be easy. But I can neither afford or want to live locally (too expensive and too congested)

But logistically it's much harder for disabled people house hunting, especially away from home. As well as the mobility and property access issues, all of us probably experience chronic pain everyday to a lesser or greater degree.

But at least we've got the internet and google earth and street view nowadays. There was obviously nothing like that when I, yourself, or most people in this forum bought their first home.
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 05 Nov 2019, 21:13

But logistically it's much harder for disabled people house hunting, especially away from home. As well as the mobility and property access issues, all of us probably experience chronic pain everyday to a lesser or greater degree.

But at least we've got the internet and google earth and street view nowadays. There was obviously nothing like that when I, yourself, or most people in this forum bought their first home.

No the internet is a massive help. I was lucky, I did all my house hunting and buying before I crashed out...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 06 Nov 2019, 10:55

The property I bought and own in '94 was two up two down end terrace. Even when I bought it I wasn't great on stairs and had to crab up the stairs sideways using hip abductors. But I wanted and garden and didn't want a flat which was the only other affordable option apart from a 'starter home' which are as pokey as hell.

I know your bungalow was originally your parents. Did it take long to make all the modifications and adaptions and get it how you wanted to? I expect it took quite a long time. Did you stay in the property while the work was being done and supervise the builders yourself?

For a disabled person a bigger property is a massive advantage cos there's space to move around and visitors/family don't have to shuffle out the way of the wheelchair user. I stay on the bed when my mum and dad come round. My parents are the sort of people who have to being something. So as soon as they come round it's out with the broom and mop bucket, and me dad is marching in and out through the bedroom to the garden. (the back door of the flat to the garden is in my bedroom, which is odd but I like it as I can sit in bed with the backdoor wide open.)

He made me a ramp for the shed the other day out of some old off-cuts. It's alright, but he should have put a chamfer on the front edge. But it's only a rental so it not worth doing a grand job. Plus the shed and shed floor is canted over several degrees cos the sub soil on one side has obviously sunk.

Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 06 Nov 2019, 12:08

I know your bungalow was originally your parents. Did it take long to make all the modifications and adaptions and get it how you wanted to? I expect it took quite a long time. Did you stay in the property while the work was being done and supervise the builders yourself?

I crashed, 97. Only place I could go to on leaving hospital was my parents house. Even so, it was a fight.
So I sold my businesses/own house (that wasnt wheelchair suitable, doors too small, steps etc) and used the money from all 3 of those things, to do the following. I decided to stay and modify. Because it is ideall situated with relatively flat close access to everything. And it has a lot of room and potential. So:

1. Pay around 100k remaining mortgage off my mum and dads house. It had been heavily remortgaged to support my dads business. My mum was terminally ill, died a few years later, and my dad died first unexpectedly same year. Leaving me living alone. This all happened during first couple of years post accident.
2. Contact council, to get help/grants etc to widen doors, and to add a wet room downstairs. And to part pay for a more disabled freindly kitchen. It helped, was pretty restrictive in what they would do.
3. borrow further 15k to add to what I had left after house and business sale, nd paying mortgage off, to do the following...

a) extend whole back of house by 25 feet, across 3 rooms. Giving masses more kitchen, my huge bedroom/workshop space.
b) used the councils money, and mine, to fit and redesign kitchen, moving all appliances, walls, rewiring, replastering, wider doorways, etc so I had SPACE!
c) add a shower room, loo, etc to the bedroom.
d) widen all doors downstairs, inc front door, and the council fitted an ugly concrete ramp with metal handrail.
e) replaced all doors, windows, plastic sofits, eaves and dormer bedrooms with double glazing and UPVC and cladding. No more maintainance.
f) replaced all flooring with black/dark grey tiles and carpets.
g) replaced all central heating, and moved boiler to a room that didnt previously exist!
h) removed old front garden, grass, overgrown hedges, walls, concrete, etc and block paved the lot inc ramp, (removed ugly council one) and new walls, and added that driveway tall gate for security.
i) fitted cameras and alarm.
j) removed wall to make a bigger bathroom downstairs, and replaced everything in it...
h) many minor things... E.g. ramps and patio area, removal of dog kennels, new fencing, etc etc.

What matters is if you use a chair, is not adapted stuff, its space to move, security, low maintainance, and wide easy access to everything.

Now I have a place that is super low maintainance, looks like new, is warm, efficient, has loads of space and wide doors everywhere, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and a huge kitchen. When disabled, you need a big hammer, to make space, and redesign. And its not cheap. Took me 10 to 14 years to finally get everything sorted in an invisable disability adaptation way. So that the price of the house remains good. Why does it matter? Because it has basically doubled its value, and I intend on doing a draw down agreement - so I can spend the money while living in it! And yes, Iived in it while all the building work was happening while directing everything. Around my bed at times.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 06 Nov 2019, 12:55

Scooterman wrote:I won’t get the matching cold tap until that one goes wrong. But by then the new lever hot tap will probably have been discontinued So I still have mismatched taps

download/file.php?id=12368&mode=view

How do you get water out of those taps when they're upside down SM? czy :lol:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 06 Nov 2019, 12:57

Oh the water will come out ok. But it will go the wrong way. Apple users are like that.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby foghornleghorn » 06 Nov 2019, 14:24

steves1977uk wrote:How do you get water out of those taps when they're upside down SM? czy :lol:

Steve

Probably comes out like a fountain but at least he has got an Australian mug on the windowsill to catch it in :lol:
foghornleghorn

Postby Burgerman » 06 Nov 2019, 14:31

Scooterman, definitely get back to having your own place. Living in rented property is something I just couldnt do, I would never feel like I was home, or secure. I have no idea why or how anyone can.

Its like your life is only half organised. Better to live in a tatty small house thats YOURS than a fancy new rented place. Because its YOUR OWN. You are the boss. You are the one that decides if your taps are the wrong way up. You do what YOU want! And obviously its worth your time decorating, updating, making the place nicer to live in because you are doing it for your own benefit and to your own house. Remember if its yours, the council will help pay for any adaptations too.

Its a different and much nicer way to live. And with more options and security. And your landlord cant decide to double the rent or sell, or kick you out, or ignore you when the heat wont work... It may take a few years to get it how you want it on benefits. Woth the wait.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 06 Nov 2019, 17:59

foghornleghorn wrote:
steves1977uk wrote:How do you get water out of those taps when they're upside down SM? czy :lol:

Steve

Probably comes out like a fountain but at least he has got an Australian mug on the windowsill to catch it in :lol:

:lol: True! :mrgreen: Maybe SM sits under them when he showers! :lol:
steves1977uk

Postby martin007 » 06 Nov 2019, 20:33

Because it has basically doubled its value, and I intend on doing a draw down agreement - so I can spend the money while living in it!

I don't understand what you mean. :(
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 06 Nov 2019, 20:46

You buy house 20 years or so ago, value increases over time.
You spend most of your money improving it, with better drive, better and bigger rooms, and better windows, heating, bathrooms, kitchen, etc. Also increases its value, well beyond what it cost you to do.

So now you have a house that is worth $xxxxxx and no money. But nice house, adapted for your use, and live in comfort.

Next you use an EQUITY RELEASE scheme, at the bank, building society.
Works like this.
They value your house.
Lets say 300k.
They then decide how long you are likely to live... And estimate the value of your house at the age you will die.
Based on their calculation, they will give you 150k approx back, in cash, allow you to live in the house till you die, and then they take it and sell it.

So you get to live there as long as you live, and can spend any amount up to say 150K if you wish. Say 10k for a new roof. or 10k for a new chair. Or Any amount for anything you wish up to that agreed amount at any time. And since your house increases in value over time, you can if careful only spend the amount it increases by, and still have the same value in the house.

https://www.equityreleasesupermarket.co ... e-mortgage
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 06 Nov 2019, 21:08

I understand.
That's called "Reverse Mortgage".
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 06 Nov 2019, 21:20

Well sort of. But you spend as much as you want, whenever you wish. Or dont use it at all. And leave your house to someone else.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 06 Nov 2019, 21:31

If the property is worth 300,000, you get 100%?
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 06 Nov 2019, 21:50

No. They offer you say 1/3rd to 1/2 of its value right now, and they add interest as if its a loan. To be paid off when you die by selling your house which will by then have likely doubled in price. Or not...

So lets say you borrow 30k, on your house, and pay interest year on year and die 20 years later. That should easily be covered by your house. They will not lend you 300k because then after interest, theres no way to pay it back, if your house does not increase in value or drops... But it will. Its also why age is critical. If you are 60, you may live a long time and so more interest added before you die. If 100 year old, not so much risk! They may lend you 250k. You can get your house revalued at any time and adjust the amount they will lend. You can also pay it back if you want. Theres many different deals, options.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 06 Nov 2019, 22:00

OK.

To be paid off when you die by selling your house which will by then have likely doubled in price. Or not...

I don't want any money put in my coffin.
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 07 Nov 2019, 02:16

No problem.
Go see a solicitor, make a will to leave everything you have to:

John Williamson
20 Westlands Ave
Grimsby
NE Lincs
DN34 4SP
UK

:thumbup:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby shirley_hkg » 07 Nov 2019, 05:10

:mrgreen: Only the good die young ! :joint
shirley_hkg

Postby shirley_hkg » 07 Nov 2019, 05:18

Scooterman wrote:This spring/summer I'm definitely looking for my own place. If I was buying in a 10 mile radius it would be easy. But I can neither afford or want to live locally (too expensive and too congested).

Why are you still offered social housing , while you own assets or well off enough to acquire your own property ?
shirley_hkg

Postby Burgerman » 07 Nov 2019, 06:51

Here, you can buy a home, rent a home, or rent social subsidised housing.
I think scooterman is renting privately.

Hows all that rioting going in HK, do you think it will do any good? Or will you all be overpowered by the chinese gov? :cussing
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby shirley_hkg » 07 Nov 2019, 07:53

I didn't see a way out yet actually .

I think the ruling party is waiting for a turn of opinion amongst those supporters, with riots everyday.

Mainlanders are not coming .
Economy is smashed. Most young business nowadays aim at visiters / tourists. They are vulnerable. When livelihood of laymen suffers , they may voice out against violence.

I'm afraid that the consequence is fundamental already , much significant here than the Mouvement des gilets jaunes in France .
shirley_hkg

Postby Burgerman » 07 Nov 2019, 11:40

Shame that HK had to be given back. It did well as a free market and free capitalist place. Its inevitable that china will want to absorb it back as their own I think. Complete with all the communist control/baggage.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 07 Nov 2019, 17:29

shirley_hkg wrote: :mrgreen: Only the good die young ! :joint

I try to be bad.

Burgerman wrote:No problem.
Go see a solicitor, make a will to leave everything you have to:

John Williamson
20 Westlands Ave
Grimsby
NE Lincs
DN34 4SP
UK

:thumbup:

You'd have to pay inheritance tax...
martin007

Postby Scooterman » 08 Nov 2019, 01:49

shirley_hkg wrote:
Why are you still offered social housing , while you own assets or well off enough to acquire your own property ?

Yep I did. At the time they asked to see bank statements etc but I didn't produce any and they didn't push the matter.

In the UK you get awarded points depending on your health, dependents (i.e. children), the situation your currently living, etc. Then every month a list of properties is posted on a website, each with the number of required points next to it. If you have enough points you apply for the property.

Although at the timeI could have bought say a 1-bed ground floor flat I wasn't well enough to go house hunting. I was in and out of hospital and sleeping on a put up bed in my parents lounge. And their bathroom was upstairs and there was no washing or bathing facilities.

But you don't have to be on benefits (social security) to qualify for social housing. Most of the people in social housing where I live work, but they either can't afford to buy or rent privately or don't want to. But it's not a FREE house, you have to pay rent for it just as you do with any rental property. It's just that the rents are less. My rent is probably 1/2 to 3/4 what it would be if I rented from a private landlord.

BM - You must remember Bob Crow the tube drivers union boss. He was on a fat salary £100k+ and yet he lived in a council house.
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 08 Nov 2019, 06:17

Social housing = housing that anyone can rent, owned by the local government. Prices are subsidised.
Private housing = housing that is owned by a business, or an individual, that is also rented out by anyone at a price governed by the supply/demand.

If you cannot afford the rent, the government pay whats called housing benefit, which is meant to pay the bill.

Of course all of the subsidised, or housing benefit, that pays these bills, comes from those that work and pay tax. So its socialism. Now, the bit that bothers the tax payer, is that these subsidies, or benefits that cover your rent, are mostly going to able bodied people that spend their lives doing nothing other than drugs, smokong, alcohol, breeding (more benefits) and unmarried mothers with 3 kids. People dont like paying tax to support all of these people that choose to rely on benefits, or that expect the taxpayer to support her 3 kids, educate them, and give them all free medical care.

NOBODY I know is bothered one bit by their tax paying towards helping the short term unemployed, or the disabled. Thats how things should be.
Housing, care, medical bills, education for kids, and spending money SHOULD be provided for those that have no choice. But they are a small part of the benefit system expenses of this country.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 08 Nov 2019, 09:15

My estate is huge 1960s london overspill council estate. There are also several in neighbouring towns like Bracknell and Woking. And the people who live on them are mainly white working class, a bit 'rough and ready' but decent people. Most are now privately owned bought under the 'Right to Buy' scheme.

BUT new small part I live on which was built in the 2000s is modern social housing and mainly flats, and houses the people you describe; alcoholics, drug addicts, single mothers, the work-shy, disabled etc. Most are on benefits and don't work at all, or work the minimum 16 hours a week to qualify for family tax credits etc.

When I was in the co-op the other day I heard the manager discussing the staff roster and trying to get cover for a certain shift. And the staff member he was speaking to said it's no point offering the extra hours to e.g. Shirley cos she won't work more than 16 hours as it affects her benefits. czy
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 08 Nov 2019, 09:49

An example of socialism in action. A incentive and good reason not to work... Multiply this across the country. I have had carers telling me the same thing. They are terrified of more than 16 hours. This is what socialism does, and it costs the person on benefits, the tax payer, the GDP, and businesses.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything