EW-36 Mobility Scooter

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

EW-36 Mobility Scooter

Postby Scooterman » 03 Jan 2019, 14:44

At first look this scooter looks pretty good, apart from it could do with a bigger seat. A guy on eBay UK sells them, Chinese import I assume. But surely illegal in UK?

If you check out the specs 48V 20Ah I assume 4S 12V lead acid?

Check out the reviews, it's a bit of a deathtrap.

http://www.usatechguide.org/itemreview.php?itemid=1678
Scooterman

Re: EW-36 Mobility Scooter

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jan 2019, 15:49

That converted to lithium would be quite good as a scooter. Although from other posts, it seems the specs are rather exadurated in regards actual speed and definitely in range. It uses low quality AGM batteries too, which are good for only a few months according to some reports on this and other forums. And a few horror stories on utube.

Realistically, it is quite efficient because of the voltage being high and its brushless motor. But its speedometer somewhat exadurates to tell you its faster than it is or so I read. Even so its faster than a disability scooter. And its let down by trying to use 4x 20Ah series lead batteries. Thats exactly the same as 2x 40Ah batteries. They are a little on the small side to be providing the amount of amps needed at speed. So they suffer. But replace those with a 16S LiFePO4 pack around 30Ah, and you will get less voltage drop, much more range, and a battery that doesn't give up in months. So its crying out for a conversion more than any scooter. And a useful speed increase.

Its got a few bad reviews. But on that site most do. People with no issues dont post. So those kind of reviews may help but are rather unreliable.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby foghornleghorn » 03 Jan 2019, 15:54

Only thing making it illegal as a mobility scooter would be breaking the 8mph limit but I'm sure you could get it registered as an invalid carriage and as long as you didn't go around at top speed everywhere nobody would care.
foghornleghorn

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jan 2019, 16:00

People around here are using them as mobility scooters as like you say nobody cares. They obviously have no type approval for mobility use (so to get one registered as a mobility device you would need to get a special approval done. As a one off. And it doesn't comply. So you would need a way to restrict its speed to 8mph. But who cares. The problem is just that legally they are supposed to be registered as a normal scooter for the road. I think thats the type approval it already has??? That means shopping centres and footpath use is technically illegal. You could get stopped by the police and prosecuted for no road tax or insurance, or driving license in theory? But right now even if you report someone for a violent attack, or vandalism, complete with name or address of the criminal, the police WONT prosecute them even if you insist. So theres not much chance of the cops bothering you! Just use sensibly. Same as my BM3. Go faster where its not bothering anyone.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 03 Jan 2019, 16:11

Have out seen one out and about BM? I never have, although I think big mob scooters are more popular up north than down here.

In percentage terms how much more efficient would you say a brushless dc motor is compared to a brushed one?

Also why are brushless not used more often in mob equipment?

Also didn't you try a pair of brushless when you were building your BM3 but couldn't get them to work properly with the Roboteq. Sorry in advance if I've got that all about cock.

Do the high tech lithium powered fold up scooters use brushless? Is it likewise for the lithium power add ons for manual chairs?

None of fold up scooters or add one are cheap. Several £1000s usually.
Scooterman

Postby Scooterman » 03 Jan 2019, 16:19

Burgerman wrote: But replace those with a 16S LiFePO4 pack around 30Ah, and you will get less voltage drop, much more range, and a battery that doesn't give up in months. So its crying out for a conversion more than any scooter. And a useful speed increase..

That is very true as it's the only scooter I know off with a 48V motor. I won't be buying one though as I prefer the wig-wag throttle to twist grip.
Scooterman

Postby Scooterman » 03 Jan 2019, 16:22

Also do you reckon it has regen braking cos the spec and photo show motorcycle type F&R brake levers
Scooterman

Postby foghornleghorn » 03 Jan 2019, 16:43

Burgerman wrote:They obviously have no type approval for mobility use (so to get one registered as a mobility device you would need to get a special approval done. As a one off.

Not sure you will need type approval. Registering as Invalid Carriage puts it in a rather vague grey area.
foghornleghorn

Postby Scooterman » 03 Jan 2019, 16:58

The DVLA registered my scooter twice czy . Every year I get two road tax certificates with different reg numbers, both Q plates.
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jan 2019, 17:15

Not sure you will need type approval. Registering as Invalid Carriage puts it in a rather vague grey area.

The paperwork asks for details, that allow type approval to be checked. So you cant. VIN numbers, or initial registration documents inserted into the crate by the manufacturer, inc shipping taxation class all allow the taxation class (the type approved classification or intended vehicle use) to be checked. If it doesn't, then they will need to have a special test, at a gov test centre, to determine taxation or type approval class it has to conform to. As daft as it seems, I had to do this with my van since it was a US spec vehicle. Before it could be registered. These are different regarding things like brakes, any speed limitations, emissions, lighting (fog lamp and indicators on my import van), etc and the type of insurance and tax class (cost!) too. As well as the laws that it has to obey. Such as footpath or pedestrian areas or speed limits, parking, MOTs, etc.

So probably better to not try... And just be discrete. Or you will need to modify its speed etc. And pay for a single vehicle test. The cops have better things to do. Like sitting in the mcdonalds.

So before you can register it as a mobility class3 type you have to fight this bullshit https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/ind ... e-approval
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby foghornleghorn » 03 Jan 2019, 17:37

Invalid carriage ≠ motor vehicle

You would be surprised how little info you have to give to get a V5 for one.
foghornleghorn

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jan 2019, 20:53

Maybe. Maybe not. The gov doesn't do anything to make stuff simple.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Twinpanther » 08 Jan 2019, 23:13

Sorry, late to the thread.

I bought an EW-38 almost 2 years ago viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5760. Same as the 36 just slightly larger motors I believe. I'm 250 lbs and with new batteries it topped out at 17 MPH (27 KPH) but that didn't last long. It took me about 10 miles once but within about a month I wouldn't trust it to take me more than 3 miles or so. It was great for me as the store was just a couple miles away and I was allowed to drive it in the supermarket so I never had to leave it's comfort.

However, it's CoG is horrible (the 36 comes with wheelie bars though, I believe). Having the seat in the center position I put myself on my back on day 3 accelerating from a dead stop on level ground. So, no accelerating up to even a small curb or speed bump. Coast across or slow is fine but you will feel the jolt from the bump.

My hands being weak the E ABS Brakes worked great. I almost never had to use the hand brake for anything.

Tons of cool, albeit unneeded, extras like alarm (LOUD), remote start and something else I'm forgetting.

Anyway, enjoy the scooter if you go that way. I sold mine after a year to a nice lady for $700 and her eZip scooter for my daughter. That's about a $1000 hit for one years use. But it was a ton of fun and it either annoyed the old folks in the stores or they'd love it and stop me to ask about it.
Twinpanther

Postby ex-Gooserider » 11 Jan 2019, 07:56

Scooterman wrote:Have out seen one out and about BM? I never have, although I think big mob scooters are more popular up north than down here.

In percentage terms how much more efficient would you say a brushless dc motor is compared to a brushed one?

Also why are brushless not used more often in mob equipment?

Also didn't you try a pair of brushless when you were building your BM3 but couldn't get them to work properly with the Roboteq. Sorry in advance if I've got that all about cock.

Do the high tech lithium powered fold up scooters use brushless? Is it likewise for the lithium power add ons for manual chairs?

None of fold up scooters or add one are cheap. Several £1000s usually.

In theory a brushless motor is MUCH more efficient than brushed if operated in it's best range. However if you hook it up to a gearbox, you get the same losses from the gearbox as you would with a brush motor, which eats up a lot of the advantage.

Downside is that they are very high current demand at low speeds, and have problems with small low speed moves.... Since this is something that is very essential to chair users, most of the major manufacturers have opted to stick with brush motors. There is also a lot of 'inertia' in that it would take a lot of R&D effort to come up with controllers and such that would work with brushless motors, it's a lot easier to stick with the well proven brush motor setups.

BM can do more details, but his first effort at a fancy 'do-everything' chair was an Invacare that used their 'Gearless-Brushless' motors - he found that they would draw several hundred amps trying to do zero-speed turns on grass or carpet. This would cause the controller to overheat and shut down. Invacare ended up giving him a refund and he now has his Sunrise chair instead...

Some of the Chinese folders do use a geared brushless motor setup - but this only has some power saving advantage, and is mostly part of the general theme of sacrificing everything else in order to get the weight down...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jan 2019, 10:58

BM can do more details, but his first effort at a fancy 'do-everything' chair was an Invacare that used their 'Gearless-Brushless' motors - he found that they would draw several hundred amps trying to do zero-speed turns on grass or carpet.

190+ battery amps, turning on my bedroom carpet. EMPTY!
Followed by a call to invacare to tell them they were idiots.
They refunded in full - no questions asked. Faulty by design.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Mechniki » 14 Jan 2019, 22:30

My bedroom has a remnant carpet so if it lifts a bit not a problem. But the carpet in my lounge next to the PC, tears, gaping holes. My hallway from my front door is two rugs, and they are often being dragged around by me.
Mechniki

Postby Pierro » 22 Aug 2019, 11:30

Hi Guys, i am Pierro

I also had an EW-36 for 2 years and therefore I speak from my owne experience. In Germany, they called themselves „Engel 1000“. My Scooter has 60V - 1000W and a drum brake that does not brake. As the scooter has no electronic brakes, it gets faster and faster downhill. Top speed are real 25 Km/h and the acceleration is good. Unfortunately, the controller is kept very simple. It has no security features, such as those found in wheelchairs. Therefore, the scooter often jerky and goes up with his front. Also, it tilts slightly to one side because the controller does not slow down in turns.
Qualitatively, the scooter is badly processed. (China) The tires get after a short life Stands, so that the mobile has an imbalance. They also leave quickly. In Germany you get it already well under 2000,- Euro and in every shop.
(Sorry, it was Google Translation, not me) :dance

Gruß, Pierro
My dream: drive a self-made power chair with a lot of power and high speed. For infinite range.
Pierro

Postby Scooterman » 01 Oct 2019, 10:43

Pierro wrote:Hi Guys, i am Pierro

I also had an EW-36 for 2 years and therefore I speak from my owne experience. In Germany, they called themselves „Engel 1000“. My Scooter has 60V - 1000W and a drum brake that does not brake. As the scooter has no electronic brakes, it gets faster and faster downhill. Top speed are real 25 Km/h and the acceleration is good. Unfortunately, the controller is kept very simple. It has no security features, such as those found in wheelchairs. Therefore, the scooter often jerky and goes up with his front. Also, it tilts slightly to one side because the controller does not slow down in turns.
Qualitatively, the scooter is badly processed. (China) The tires get after a short life Stands, so that the mobile has an imbalance. They also leave quickly. In Germany you get it already well under 2000,- Euro and in every shop.
(Sorry, it was Google Translation, not me) :dance

Gruß, Pierro

Thanks for that your real-world experience is really interesting :thumbup:

Do you feel they're not safe to use in a shopping centre? I would never get one, top speed isn't everything. Safety of the rider and pedestrians is more important.
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 04 Oct 2019, 07:24

Mobility scooters, (and this is not one since it doesent comply), are allowed in shopping centres at 4mph max, and on footpaths. So no, it is a road only vehicle. And as such needs road legal insurance tax, mot, licence etc. Its not a mobility scooter, its a scooter. In spite of how its sold. At least in the UK.

To be honest I think large scooters should not be allowed in shopping areas of footpaths anyway. Wheelchairs, yes.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 04 Oct 2019, 16:46

It has to be constructed to comply with the rules to be a mobility scooter. A classification. Type aproval. One of those rules is a max of 8mph. There are others. And then, you MUST be disabled, using it and sold specifically for and as a mobility aid.

what makes this not comply in the UK?

https://www.gov.uk/mobility-scooters-an ... airs-rules
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Pierro » 07 Nov 2019, 10:54

Scooterman wrote:
Thanks for that your real-world experience is really interesting :thumbup:

Do you feel they're not safe to use in a shopping centre? I would never get one, top speed isn't everything. Safety of the rider and pedestrians is more important.

Yes i do.

I have been in wheelchair all my life, since 55 years. I drove a lot of mobility scooters - also Afikim Sport-Rider, Engel 1000, and now the second Sport -Rider. I have a Speedy-Elektra II and a Netti power wheelchair. If I had to rate the three wheeled scooters, then the Angel 1000 / EW36 is the most unsafe and most dangerous vehicle. The Afikim Sport Rider was my first scooter, which I drove for many years and i was very satisfied with it. My 2nd scooter was the Sport-Rider. Unfortunately, I had many problems with this vehicle. The thick wiring harness that is connected to the Tillerboard from the back to the front and must always be able to steer, causing many of the movement to break.

Maybe I can attach a photo.

I repaired the sport rider and sold it soon. Then I bought the Engel1000. Due to disability, I could not handle this vehicle well. My disability is called dysmelia = malformation of all extremities. Disappointed with the Engel1000, I also sold it and bought a 2nd Sport Rider. I love this vehicle! However, there is the problem with the thick cable. That will come with this rider sometime. Every Sports-Rider owner knows the problem.

Ciau, Pierro
My dream: drive a self-made power chair with a lot of power and high speed. For infinite range.
Pierro

Postby Scooterman » 08 Nov 2019, 18:24

Thanks Pierro that's interesting :thumbup:

This is a good scooter.

But it's a bit big and quite long and very high riding position. But for someone living in a rural location or on farm it's great and not horrendously expensive.

youtu.be/MAkS0E9Fi9o
Scooterman

Postby Scooterman » 08 Nov 2019, 18:29

The sport rider is popular in the UK as well. How stable are 3 wheeled scooters?

I bet them large diameter wheels give a very comfortable ride.
Scooterman

Postby ex-Gooserider » 14 Nov 2019, 06:37

Scooterman wrote:The sport rider is popular in the UK as well. How stable are 3 wheeled scooters?

I bet them large diameter wheels give a very comfortable ride.

No specific experience w/ 3-wheel scooters, but basically they are like any 3-wheel vehicle w/ the two wheels in the back - from a kid tricycle to a big motorcycle trike conversion....

Sitting they are stable, and at reasonable speeds they are OK... However if you over do it on a turn you can get a nasty flip as the inside wheel comes up and over the line between the front wheel and outside rear wheel contact patches....

How likely this is / what speeds it takes is mostly a function of how high the center of gravity is - big wheels will make it higher so more likely.... Even in the world of little kids, it is much easier for a toddler to flip a 'traditional' up-right trike than it is a 'Big-Wheel' that puts his butt just a couple of inches off the ground....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

Postby flagman1776 » 26 Nov 2019, 21:24

I've had both 3 and 4 wheel scooters. You can turn the 3 wheel sharper IF you stop on level ground. Any scooter will tip trying to turn sharp or U turn on a steep enough hill... typically a FAILED ATTEMPT to get up the hill. Beware curb cuts some of which are traps for the unwary. In a failed attempt, be prepared to put a foot out to save it.
It is up to the operator to operate at a safe speed. Four wheelers are more stable but the tie rod end steering is much more restrictive in tight spaces. You will need to learn the machine cautiously at first. If something makes you uneasy, don't do it.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby ex-Gooserider » 03 Dec 2019, 01:53

If the tires are solids (foam-filled) you won't be able to do much about the ride.... If the tires are pneumatic, either tube or tubeless, you can probably make the ride softer by decreasing the tire pressure some... Don't drop the pressure to much as if the tires are to soft you can have a bad impact on range, and possibly get pinch flats in tubes, or break the bead seal on tubeless tires, but experimenting with lowering the pressure a little at a time may help the ride quite a bit....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

Postby Pierro » 18 Sep 2020, 16:15

Adverse Effects wrote:i have unlocked the speed of my Sportster SE Mobilty Scooter single seat and it dose about 12Kmh (8mph)
i have also dropped the seat height by 75mm (3 inch) this makes a HUGE difference in stability

@Adverse Effects, I did the same. When I read your post I had to laugh. :lol: At that time, I also sawed off the perch of my Sportster SE so that the seat came lower. Unfortunately, it could not be turned afterwards, which is needed so that the seat can be removed. So the seat always got caught on the fenders of the wheels. czy As far as I can remember, the Sportster SE had the curtis 1225 controller. It was a hell of a long time ago, but I loved the Sportster. But not the green color. So I took a paintbrush and black paint and quickly dyed it black. It's been a long time.

Pierro
Pierro

Return to Powerchair Reviews