Accident waiting to happen?

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Accident waiting to happen?

Postby Scooterman » 20 Dec 2019, 18:57

Scarf, loose piece of clothing, resulting in :ambulance or worse hanged

Happen to Jane Mansfield RIP

youtu.be/9phRh5OH_v0
Scooterman

Re: Accident waiting to happen?

Postby Burgerman » 20 Dec 2019, 21:32

Its not scarves that are dangerous. Its trying to turn a manual wheelchair into a powered on. They make absolutely shitty powerchairs. And worse, they are no longer good manual chairs either.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 21 Dec 2019, 18:55

The worst part of a lightweight rigid frame manual chair outdoors (apart from the physicality of pushing) is the small.solid castors, they hopeless outdoors. I never use my Tilite outdoors anymore.
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 21 Dec 2019, 19:49

Theres loads of paraplegics in manual chairs at my local spinal injuries unit. They meet for sport etc. Always going on about powering their manual chairs. Mostly with 3 inch casters, super lightweight chairs. Non of them will even consider the idea of a powerchair. Even though it would free them. Give them some stability, comfort, ability to nip to the shops or go to the pub without that endless fight transfering into a car and dragging a chair across. It stems from the profduction line spinal units. They brainwash all paraplegics into thinking powerchairs are only for quadraplegics and that they are below them. However, once tried, they never usually use a manual chair again.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 07 Jan 2020, 21:44

Watching this video is fascinating. The user couldn't be more dependent. The attendant has to assemble the whole thing of many pieces. The attendant could have reduced her walking by assembling at the rear of the car before moving the WC to the user. In the end the user ends up with lightweight folding powerchair. Where is there any advange to doing a conversion over any dedicated lightweight folding powerchair? I'm inclined to think it less likely that a purpose built chair.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 08 Jan 2020, 00:10

I dont think I have ever seen any advantage of converting a manual chair to power. You just end up with all the disadvantages of both rolled into one chair.

Theres a very good reason that powerchairs look much different today than manual chairs.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 21 Jan 2020, 04:30

In general, I agree that powering a manual WC is an exercise in futility... but this manual to power conversion has exposed drives and gears which are pretty far away from fingers but not from clothing which might well get entangled. There's no way that is safety approved.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Return to Powerchair Reviews