Invacare Storm 4

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Invacare Storm 4

Postby Burgerman » 31 Jan 2011, 23:35

Had a quick go in a storm 4 today. 5 mins only... Owner wanted to go!

Quick comments? base quite narrow, (same as mine when compared) but usual hard skinny tyres and harsh ride (even though they go on about long swing arms and good suspension in brochures). But the biggest problem is it steers like an oil tanker, and gets out of control on tree roots (rippling the pavement near my house) as the rear wheels leave the ground and the front ones dont. Because its so damned nose heavy like most rear drive chairs. Theres about 6 feet of powerchair behind you when you try to manoever. So doorways, and the furniture is a pain indoors. You need a lot of space compared to mine. And the front casters are big diameter, but have all your weight on them. Hence evil steering. So the rear cant steer it over uneven ground, and it spins its rear wheels and slides even on my drive / ramp.

Not impressed... Usual programming issues (goes where it wants about 3 seconds after you tell it to!), gel batteries? No urgency... Why do they keep on making the same things over and over? Front wheels really set wide too. Could do with being a few inches further inboard. Long rear anti tips, too low and too long/outboard (kept hitting my bed when sat at my computer.

Theres a new one soon though. So we will see if its any better?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Invacare Storm 4

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 01 Feb 2011, 05:08

Clearly you don't recommended it!

Is there anything they do well for mwhich we can learn?

Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Postby Burgerman » 01 Feb 2011, 10:14

? Not really. Its just the "same old" in a newer "style" and doesent really do anything new or better. Maybe worse than the 3 version. Probably designed by the marketing department. Changable colour "bits" is about it really. Looks sort of modern in a mass produced way.

Im pleased it exists though in a mass of bloody awful mid and front drive fashionable chairs! They are few and far between. I just wish they would "get it" though... Mid drive is only popular because they really are better indoors than the nose heavy over long rear drives the market offers...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby JoeC » 03 Feb 2011, 00:02

I just found this video- http://www.invacare.eu.com/articles/inv ... -49-75.php

It reminds me of the Permobil C350 with the swing-arm front casters and a major commitment to the inclusion of a seat elevator which results in a very forward center of gravity that can't be moved back.
JoeC

Postby Burgerman » 03 Feb 2011, 00:11

Thats about right. An awful nose heavy powerchair...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Ashley G » 03 Feb 2011, 05:25

Not too impressed by the hairdresser's place either !

I mean .... you go to get your hair permed, and some dude steals the batteries from under your bum, and sticks new decals on your chair :o

On cam too !

Shouldn't oughta be allowed :twisted:

Ashley G

Postby Lord Chatterley » 03 Jul 2011, 15:03

Here' s 2 pics [sorry about the first pic] showing the build quality of the absurdly designed swing away arm of the Storm3 -

LC
Lord Chatterley

Postby Anderida » 10 Jul 2011, 15:59

Re: invacare vid: Decals not exactly adding colour and individuality. You can have any colour as long as it's black - oh, but you can have tiny 'racing stripes' added. Good grief!

And who was the guy in the white shirt who bounded on to the stage - 'hey you lot, bet you can't do this!'. Prat!

BTW, not perms nowadays (only for the blue rinse set). Up-dos and crimping in the clip! Sad to say the days of the mohican are long gone (unless you like the dated look).

And why can't chairs change the seating position when the seat level is highered. I'm thinking in terms of the chair changing the angle between the torso, the upper leg and the lower leg to give a posture similar to sitting on one of those ergonomic kneeling chairs. I would think this would help with circulation and minimise sores. I kinda invented one in my head years ago when I had a kneeling chair (before it got nicked by a pregnant friend whose need was greater! :roll: ).
Anderida

Postby Ironside » 31 Jan 2012, 15:57

I have got a completely unused Storm 4 sitting here in my room if anyone wants to buy :-)
Ironside

Postby ex-Gooserider » 31 Jan 2012, 17:26

Ironside wrote:I have got a completely unused Storm 4 sitting here in my room if anyone wants to buy :-)

Where are you? It would help us out if you can go to he "User Control Panel" (up near top left of the screen) and fill in your location - that way it shows up in your user info next to your posts...

ex-Gooserider
ex-Gooserider

Postby Ironside » 31 Jan 2012, 18:05

ex-Gooserider wrote:
Ironside wrote:I have got a completely unused Storm 4 sitting here in my room if anyone wants to buy :-)

Where are you? It would help us out if you can go to he "User Control Panel" (up near top left of the screen) and fill in your location - that way it shows up in your user info next to your posts...

ex-Gooserider

Good idea, I will do that right now :-)
Ironside

Postby Gez » 10 Aug 2012, 12:44

Has anyone had the same problem as me?

I've had my Storm 4 a year and in that year I am now up to my 4th set of motors/gearboxes. The chair was ok to begin with then I noticed play in the motors which got worse so much so you could push the chair 5 inches before any resistance this has happened now three times the last time I also had a constant clicking from the right motor. Invacare just kept replacing them but have finally agreed to have the chair back and do a full report on it. I have looked after the chair and not misused it. My old Storm 3 was so much more reliable.

All thoughts on this would be much appreciated!
Gez

Postby Burgerman » 10 Aug 2012, 12:47

Which motors? Speed? Brushless (not sure they still offer them) or 2 or 4 pole?

Where is the play. Gearbox, motor coupling (cush drive) or wheel mounting?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Gez » 10 Aug 2012, 12:56

Brushed 4 pole 6 mph and the rear wheels turn so guess it's play in the gearbox but as I'm not an engineer I'm afraid I cant offer much more info! I know that if I stop on a slope my chair goes backwards!!
Gez

Postby Burgerman » 10 Aug 2012, 17:35

Really? Thats a different fault. I ask because sometimes the wheel sits on the shaft and power is transmitted by a key and keyway. And these can wear. Or it can be inside the gearbox instead.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby morayscuba » 30 Mar 2013, 16:48

I have a very old (9-10yrs.) Storm arrow. It's been a reliable workhorse, but I'm replacing it with a Pride Rival with their new high-speed (8 1/2 mph) motors - due out this month. Problem is that until the new one comes I have to use the Arrow, The right-rear is about to die. Any ideas where I can get a motor? Motor -- M32607-0304, part 1079291, mfr part 1076Y

John
morayscuba

Postby ex-Gooserider » 31 Mar 2013, 06:13

As suggested on other threads where folks are looking for reasonably priced parts, E-bay is your friend....

It may be helpful to see if there are other motors that would be compatible replacements (possibly as a set)

If you don't find a compatible part right off, then send messages to any of the vendors that seem to have a lot of listings - many of them are places that work as power-chair junkyards, and will have parts on their shelves that aren't listed...

ex-Gooserider
ex-Gooserider

Postby fxa » 06 Apr 2013, 02:19

regarding invacare, looks like they got into a bit of trouble - the decree requires the firm to stop manufacturing, designing, and distributing manual and powered wheelchairs and wheelchair components.

http://www.mddionline.com/article/invac ... ent-decree

i always hated the name "invacare" :roll:
fxa

Postby rollingcowboy » 06 Apr 2013, 02:43

fxa wrote:i always hated the name "invacare"

agree with that :!:
rollingcowboy

Postby Burgerman » 12 Oct 2014, 20:34

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4512

A different view
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Roger » 22 Jan 2015, 17:45

I had a storm 4, after 2 years of heartache and breakdowns I got rid, never ever to by an invacare again, which is a shame as my storm x lasted 10yrs with out any issues to speak of. Suffice to say, If the storm 4 didnt go...I would have, as I thought I was going to have a breakdown with it.
Roger

Return to Powerchair Reviews