Industrial vs Mobility Lifts and Ramps

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Industrial vs Mobility Lifts and Ramps

Postby Cornbread » 16 May 2020, 19:17

I love my van. Always have liked vans, before I actually needed one. And nothing really wrong with my van as is. The lift however takes up a decent amount of space and the side entry is unusable unless you lower the lift. Making the van a pain if others use it who don't need the lift. And in my case, my power chair is to big so there are space issues. In my search for options, changing to a rear lift, bigger van, single wheel trailer etc. We all know that Mobility vans are very expensive. Sometimes I can see some of the reasons why, other times not so much. Anyone used or looked at industrial lifts and ramps before? To me, the main difference is the lack of side rails. I've had a decent amount of experience in my working days with this brand, from pickup trucks to.semis, there are other good ones out there. These are a couple examples. Either would fit my van. Of course I could move my current lift to the rear. But it would still take up space in the van. These dont.

http://www.tommygate.com/liftgates/carg ... er-series/

http://www.tommygate.com/liftgates/cargo-van/original
Big Bounder
Considering more "indoor" options for a second chair
Cornbread

Re: Industrial vs Mobility Lifts and Ramps

Postby Burgerman » 17 May 2020, 11:14

No. But a Ricon CLEARWAY lift automatically folds out of the way leaving a clear way through. So it does not obstruct other users at all.

As well as the clearway lift, theres now this one also from Ricon (I think) in the US. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUr9Na7V9Aw But its going to be hard to find a used one of those, and they still take up some of the doorway.

Also. At least in the UK many lifts are a cartridge that lives under the van. So that its also not in the doorway at all when not in use.
These lifts are common here - should be similar in the US somewhere.

youtu.be/9YuHXlrlGNQ
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 17 May 2020, 16:25

I've been window shopping. The lifts that block the door are an option, probably cheaper than the under floor option. The under floor ramps are not rare at all. I'm looking to buy a used van in and area with large supply and have it shipped to me.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby Cornbread » 17 May 2020, 20:46

They have pretty much any kind of lift you want. As long as you can afford it. In my case, there isn't enough room under the van for an under floor system. I can have the current one moved to the rear. I'd have to add some more tie downs in the rear as well. Removing the rear bench and reinstalling the middle chairs. It would make the van more useable. But, I like having the extra room in the van an external lift would give. And servicing would be simpler. As shops that service mobility equipment are few and far between. Shops that service industrial lifts are pretty common. Mobility retailers, the closest that deals with vehicles is an hour away. And is backed up most of the time. Generally we set an appointment, drop off the van, then pick it up a day to two later. Industrial shops are same day.
It probably won't make sense for most users. But for bigger chairs like mine, definitely considering it. The width is also a nice addition as it it's a serious pain getting the chair out of the van on my current lift.
Big Bounder
Considering more "indoor" options for a second chair
Cornbread

Postby flagman1776 » 17 May 2020, 22:05

This is not a place where DIY will work. WAV makers, cut the van apart, put a different center section in, alter the suspension, modifty the sliding door. I think you'd be money ahead to buy a already built WAV.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's