Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Hyperion charger Odyssey battery charging settings

Postby Burgerman » 20 Aug 2019, 20:00

So let me get this straight.

Firstly you are saying I can charge the 2 dry cell batteries wired in series JUST with the fusion PSU through an Anderson connection? I do not need the Hyperion charger?

NO. Nobody ever said that. SHIRLEYS supply can. And do a 3 stage charge, and you can set up all the values yourself.

First of all, a "dry cell" battery isnt. Its just a lead AGM or Gel (which?) battery.
And that fusion supply will fail anyway. And it needs more power.

If I charge it JUST with the fusion PSU, will that set up charge the batteries better than using the Hyperion charger the way BM has told me to set it up?
I'm just trying to give the 2 batteries a decent charge. :-)

The SHIRLEY power supply can correctly charge the batteries (IF you know what they are in detail and configure it correctly).
The PL8 needs a power supply and it can ALSO correctly charge the lead bricks.
The fusion supply will die, if it doesent it will never know when to stop, if used as a charger. You would need to know what amps, what voltage, and how long. Do you?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby funkykeyboard » 13 May 2020, 16:12

So with 2 odyssey batteries wired in series charged through an Anderson connector by Hyperion charger these are the best settings I do with a Hyperion charger?

Any advice appreciated, Tremulous Tetra. :-)
funkykeyboard

Postby Burgerman » 14 May 2020, 07:40

Thats all you can do. It will terminate too soon at around 100thC and be undercharged. So you need to leave it on float for at least 12 hours extra whenever you can.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby funkykeyboard » 20 May 2020, 11:17

Burgerman wrote:Thats all you can do. It will terminate too soon at around 100thC and be undercharged. So you need to leave it on float for at least 12 hours extra whenever you can.
because my battery boxes smaller on my lifestand wheelchair I have a different sort of battery in it than the BM;
Brand Sonnenschein
Range Sonnenschein GF
Voltage 12 Volts
Technology Gel
Capacity (C5) 52.7 Ah
Capacity (C20) 60 Ah
Length 261 mm
Width 170 mm
Height inc. terms 178 mm
Guarantee 1 Year
Barcode (EAN) 5060518622151

For that lifestand wheelchair should I change the settings on the Hyperion to reflect the lower capacity? I have it on 55 for the BM wheelchair.

funkykeyboard

Postby Burgerman » 20 May 2020, 12:44

Yes you could set it to say 40Ah. That will make it end CV at 400mA.

Set charge volts to 28.20V and float to 27.20V and everything else the same. If its warmer than 20C in your room, drop that to 28.0V. And float to 27.0V. And gels charge slower. So leave it connected as long as you can. So float can complete the charge or at least do as much as time allows. The reality is that it would actually take around 16 to 24 hours to do that last 1%. But its important that it occasionally does this, to make them last well. Maybe weekly.

If the temp is really warm, its summer now, (29 DEGREES at heathrow airport today) and my room is already 23 in the shade, with the window open, and the battery will always be a few degrees warmer after use than your street/room is, then drop the volts another 1/10th of a volt of charge CV and float.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby funkykeyboard » 20 May 2020, 14:29

Yes the 24-hours is no problem because I can just get in my BM wheelchair while the life stand remains on charge.

I have the old fusion 600 what adjustable power supply at the moment (Shirley one on order). As you know it's maximum is 15 V, and the maximum setting is 40 amp then settings on the fusion power supply itself, in particular what amps? Should I adjust any other settings in light of this information in the Hyperion software?

This BM chair is absolutely incredible compared to the steering of the stock F 55. At times it feels like, even when you're just round the house pottering, the front end is on ice. It turns so easily. This is DESPITE the fact I have to have my front tyres inflation (because I have been unable to eradicate the wheel wobble when casters inflated to the maximum) lower than I would like.

I'm achieving about 8 miles an hour, maybe just under. This is great on the roads, but even more impressive on the pavements. I just wouldn't be able to do that speed in my other wheelchair with the smaller wheels/tyres. As you all know the pavements can be like off-road they are that poorly maintained. But the vast majority of the time with just 5 lbs in the rear and about 15 lbs in the front, this wheelchair just rides the pavements, no matter what they throw at it, at full speed.

I have to be a bit careful with curbs, otherwise it is soon up on the anti-tip wheels. But that is a small price to pay for the sheer manoeuvrability of the BM.

BM has just took the time to explain to me about how to properly set up the Hyperion charger. Listening to him has just doubled my mileage. I've just gone from just over 5.1 miles achievable distance, to 10 miles. Clearly the settings I had were a disgrace.

I've had an absolutely fantastic day, and so I just wanted to say thanks to Burger Man for the amazing time, effort, and most of all patience he has for numpties like myself. :clap

Thanks mate, Tremulous Tetra.
funkykeyboard

Postby Burgerman » 20 May 2020, 16:20

Thanks. Big casters, fat tyres, low pressures, sort chair, and rear biased makes it steer and turn as well as any front or mid drive chair, and then some. You need the programming right, too though. And lithium...

I have the old fusion 600 what adjustable power supply at the moment (Shirley one on order). As you know it's maximum is 15 V, and the maximum setting is 40 amp then settings on the fusion power supply itself, in particular what amps? Should I adjust any other settings in light of this information in the Hyperion software?

As high an amp setting as the fusion/hyperion allow without the fusion going bang. It will anyway though they just do.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby funkykeyboard » 20 May 2020, 20:13

Burgerman wrote:Thanks. Big casters, fat tyres, low pressures, sort chair, and rear biased makes it steer and turn as well as any front or mid drive chair, and then some. You need the programming right, too though. And lithium...

As high an amp setting as the fusion/hyperion allow without the fusion going bang. It will anyway though they just do.

well mine is set in the middle. It's drawing for 25.1 A at the moment. I don't think I've ever had it above that, I wouldn't know, I'm not really diligent. However, probably because of that load amperage, I've had this power supply for 7 years. Still sweet.

The 1st fusion's power supply I had went within the 1st 12 months. The fan never worked, and I do realise it was supposed to have one LOL
funkykeyboard

Postby funkykeyboard » 07 Jul 2020, 20:45

So when I'm charging 8 cells connected together to create one battery should I set up the Hyperion like this?

funkykeyboard

Postby funkykeyboard » 07 Jul 2020, 20:48

this has been deleted
funkykeyboard

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair