Power Wheelchair "Veteran", but "Noob" for features

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Power Wheelchair "Veteran", but "Noob" for features

Postby Moosh89 » 05 Nov 2020, 19:25

It's official, The chair is ours (Sold for $2,250 USD, not $3,000 USD)

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/INVACARE-STORM- ... 4223649646

4 pole motors, and solid, foam filled tires

I'm really glad, as it is something I'm already very familiar with, even if I can't get it converted to R-Net for a good while. It's a great base to start slowly adding things to. And it's OURS so we don't have to get approval.

First things I want to do is get front forks with suspension and larger front wheels.

Cosmetically, maybe different rims and a new paint job. Any suggestions on colour? I like black, but would be cool to have a colour-shifting paint to like a midnight purple or deep cherry 8-) :lol:
Moosh89

Postby Burgerman » 05 Nov 2020, 21:25

Larger front wheels mean you may have footrest/tyre issues. You need a centre footplate if you can use one. It will allow the thing to be made shorter, and seat moved back slightly. That will make it steer better, and skid less, be better going down a ramp.

Also you need to keep your seating position LOW for stability reasons in use. Whatever that takes. :hammer :hammer - Esp with lighter lithium batts if you ever go that way. Otherwise well done! That seat lift tilt module costs the same as the full chair.

Black. All my chairs are black. As was my german shephard, van, carpets, wheelchair tyres, computers, toolboxes, and almost anything else! Esp clothes. I only do black. But prefer blondes... :argument A long while back I was drinking black sambukas with flames/coffee beans. As is my freind, and a carer that he really likes... (Shes not interested). Fun. And guinness. https://www.google.com/search?q=guinnes ... 80&bih=630

Black
https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/a ... 20Guinness

Black
http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM3-con ... -small.jpg

Black
http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/images- ... medium.jpg

BLACK!!! cheers
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Moosh89 » 05 Nov 2020, 21:44

Burgerman wrote:Larger front wheels mean you may have footrest/tyre issues. You need a centre footplate if you can use one. It will allow the thing to be made shorter, and seat moved back slightly. That will make it steer better, and skid less, be better going down a ramp.

Also you need to keep your seating position LOW for stability reasons in use. Esp with lighter lithium batts if you ever go that way. Otherwise well done! That seat lift tilt module costs the same as the full chair.

Thank you, BM!

I'm still perplexed about why my current seat is so far forward and high. I didn't realize it was high until you mentioned it but I did feel it was a few inches too far forward. Can it definitely go lower?

I'll get some updated pictures of my front riggings on this chair this weekend. I'd like to get a center mount footplate that can flip up when not in use. My legs aren't terribly long plus they are atrophied so a standard footrest is too long and too far outward. This current set, we were told were off a smaller chair. I have a nylon "calf belt" (can't think of the proper term) velcroed between the two riggings so when I tilt back, my feet don't slide back and off the plate (the plate is actually two regular footplates with one wider plate stuck on top). I don't need the power leg rests on this new chair. What's a good selling price?

For tires, I've been wracking my brain searching. The front forks I want (https://www.monsterscooterparts.com/bra ... sters.html) are meant for 8" front wheels so I don't know if I can get larger diameter there, but if I can get more tread or more width (3" instead of 2"?) that would be fantastic. Gotta be solid/foam-filled though. Looking at "wheelchair specific" wheels is limited and I don't know/understand the parameters needed to search elsewhere at like an autoparts store for wheelbarrow or cart wheels. I'd like to get black ones though.

My back tires are good, they're 14"x3" black foam-filled. If I can get black 14"x4" foam-filled, even better. Again, searching for "wheelchair" wheels narrows things significantly.

You guys warned me that solid/foam-filled tires were harder to find :oops:

I would like to get the black rims for this look:
https://enableyourlife.com/14-x-3-300-8 ... dx-sp2.asp

But I can't find any new or used (just) rims like these in black.
Moosh89

Postby Burgerman » 05 Nov 2020, 22:23

Why fixate on solid or foam filled?

They are the worst of all. They are harder to push, so eat batteries faster. They need more power to start a turn, develop flat spots, give a horid harsh drive, wear out much faster.

I fitted tubeless to the rear of all my chairs. And have never had a single deflated tyre in 23 years since. The fronts have tubes but that doesent matter. You can (if the seat is in the right place) get around with a flat tyre for days. If needed. But because they are lightly loaded they tend to roll right over glass etc without damage.

Look at these rear TUBELESS tyre/rims. These have puncture seal that actuall works in massive holes in tubeless tyres. These are 120/70 - 8 and fit on 8 inch rims that are 3.5 inches wide. From cheap china...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7455&start=600#p122818

These replaced rims and tyres exactly like the oned you are planning to buy. But are stronger, wider, tubeless on tbeless rims. It adds a few inches to the chairs width. These are not 3 inch wide but 120mm so 4.7 inches. But are the same overall diameter as they are low profile. They are tough.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 05 Nov 2020, 22:27

Front caster tyres? 3 wide? Yep. 8 inches diameter? Yep!

These are way tougher than wheelchair tyres. Will fit stock 4 inch x 2 wide wheelchair rims. And are 8 inch diameter. And 3 inches wide so they dont sink or look like bycicle wheels...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10062

Scroll down. I intend fitting these. As soon as the chair arrives to allow the centre footplate to sit 1 inch further back.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Moosh89 » 05 Nov 2020, 22:35

Burgerman wrote:Why fixate on solid or foam filled?

I'm not in a position to have help from someone to top up or repair a flat at any given time (I also have the worst luck sometimes). Solid/foam-filled = no worries, ever. Lots of ground hazards such as glass, nails, needles, etc... It's just something I'm pretty set on. With front suspension and larger wheels, it should cut out a lot of impacts I feel. I'm not worried about the difference in solid to pneumatic tires.

RE: Powered center footplates - Can you get a footplate that can run up/down on a Z-axis? so when you raise it up, your knees come up? I could use that, for sure. I can't have it extend outward due to atrophy
Moosh89

Postby swalker » 05 Nov 2020, 22:43

Yes. Here is a video of what I think you are asking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3tjxjR ... l=Permobil

I have this on one of my wheelchairs. It works great!

Steve
Permobil F5 Corpus 3G
Permobil C500s VS
Permobil C500 Corpus 3G
Permobil C350 Corpus 3G
Magic Mobility X4 with 176 Ah LiFePO4
swalker

Postby Moosh89 » 05 Nov 2020, 22:48

swalker wrote:Yes. Here is a video of what I think you are asking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3tjxjR ... l=Permobil

I have this on one of my wheelchairs. It works great!

Steve

That's kind of what I mean, however I can't have it extend outward like that one does. I can only use up/down. My current footplate is straight down from my seat. I'd like to have it move straight up and down without extending forward/outward.
Moosh89

Postby Burgerman » 05 Nov 2020, 23:16

It doesent have to. All mine can be adjusted up down, or out (change angle) as I wish. Or both things together. Two seperate motors.

RE: Powered center footplates - Can you get a footplate that can run up/down on a Z-axis? so when you raise it up, your knees come up? I could use that, for sure. I can't have it extend outward due to atrophy

YES.

Regarding tyres. You wont find tyres in the sizes I use in flat free varieties.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Moosh89 » 05 Nov 2020, 23:22

Burgerman wrote:It doesent have to. All mine can be adjusted up down, or out (change angle) as I wish. Or both things together. Two seperate motors.

Changing angle of the footplate itself might be better as well. I have weak ankles and my achilles tend to pull/sprain very easily if my toes come up too high. Would you be able to show me an video or photo example of a center footplate moving up/down and change angle?

Apologies if I'm asking too many different things. My head is still swirling with so many options we were never exposed to before :oops: :lol:
Moosh89

Postby Burgerman » 05 Nov 2020, 23:41

If I wasnt stuck in bed I would do one!

Footplate just rises. And so do my knees... And it goes to floor too. ONLY up or down. Also can change angle should I want.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Moosh89 » 05 Nov 2020, 23:43

Burgerman wrote:If I wasnt stuck in bed I would do one!

Footplate just rises. And so do my knees... And it goes to floor too. ONLY up or down. Also can change angle should I want.

:lol: Glad I'm not the only one occasionally stuck in bed hahaha. Thank goodness for the invention of smartphones :thumbup:
Moosh89

Postby Burgerman » 05 Nov 2020, 23:46

No. I dont have one. I use a proper phone for calls. A laptop with windows for internet in bed. A real camera for pics. Etc.

My phone has a month+ standby was £30 for 2. And is bombproof.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Moosh89 » 06 Nov 2020, 01:49

Alright, excuse my lack of knowledge but I think I found BLACK rims that will work on the new chair we just got? Can someone more knowledgeable confirm? :oops: :lol:

Here's a shot of the new chair with rear rim showing, Invacare Storm Torque 3
s-l1600 (5).jpg

Here's the rims, listed as off of an Invacare TDX 2 MWD chair:
invacare tdx 2 black rims 1.jpg

invacare tdx 2 black rims 3.jpg
Moosh89

Postby swalker » 06 Nov 2020, 02:08

Moosh89 wrote:My current footplate is straight down from my seat. I'd like to have it move straight up and down without extending forward/outward.

The power extending leg rest on my Permobil C350 will do exactly that. That wheelchair has 4 separate buttons for operating the leg rests. One button swings the leg rests up. Another swings the leg rest down. The third and fourth lengthen and shorten the leg rests, respectively.

Steve
Permobil F5 Corpus 3G
Permobil C500s VS
Permobil C500 Corpus 3G
Permobil C350 Corpus 3G
Magic Mobility X4 with 176 Ah LiFePO4
swalker

Postby Burgerman » 06 Nov 2020, 05:31

The black wheel is the same. Just a rattle can of matt black or satin black turns a silver rim into a black one in 10 mins free of charge.

Dont be buying the same rim just because its black!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 06 Nov 2020, 07:41

I am still worried about steves dongle...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 06 Nov 2020, 12:32

:o BM! My dongle works fine... :oops: :mrgreen: :lol:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 06 Nov 2020, 16:35

If you are in usa, or maybe canada, these are the wide 8 inch tyres. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Kenda-8x3 ... 0667.m2042
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 06 Nov 2020, 21:32

Burgerman wrote:The black wheel is the same. Just a rattle can of matt black or satin black turns a silver rim into a black one in 10 mins free of charge.

I think exactly the same. cheers
martin007

Postby Moosh89 » 06 Nov 2020, 21:49

I like that idea better too :oops: :lol:

Aesthetically I like the TDX SP2 colored wheel trim inserts. If I ever find a set, I would have them painted as well (They don't come in yellow)
TDX SP2 Colours 2017_Tangy O.jpg

untitled-12.jpg

I like the usefulness of fenders as well to prevent loose hairs easily falling into the axles.
Fenders.gif
Moosh89

Postby Moosh89 » 06 Nov 2020, 22:01

These ones are cool if they'd fit the Torque 3. One has a small crack but it could be repaired
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Invacare-TDX-Po ... 4228762755

FYI: I'm going for a sort of "industrial" look with black with yellow accents. I'm a big nerd for the Aliens films so I want it to be Weyland-Yutani themed 8-) :lol: :ugeek:

Weyland-Yutani_Coporation_Logo.jpg

54b46f77a38894baff225e5950abad79.jpg

s-l1600-27-324x324.jpg
s-l1600-27-324x324.jpg (23.84 KiB) Viewed 7413 times
Moosh89

Postby Moosh89 » 07 Nov 2020, 21:52

I just found a YouTube video tutorial for programming the MK6i electronics using an SD card and computer. Might check it out on the new chair and better "tune" D3 so I'm more comfortable with handling it, yet still go quick.

Link:
https://youtu.be/ycIWIUyzrKY

At least until I can organize/afford an R-Net conversion 8-)
Moosh89

Postby Burgerman » 07 Nov 2020, 22:21

PM me for that software. You might want to ignore his advice on settings...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 07 Nov 2020, 22:24

Dan Payton used to be member here Moosh, but left for some weird reason. :?

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Moosh89 » 07 Nov 2020, 22:27

Burgerman wrote:PM me for that software. You might want to ignore his advice on settings...

Oh, awesome!

So I was looking. The new chair might have a newer joystick with the SD card slot covered. It looks like there's two screws on the cover where the slot is located. Would it just be a matter of unscrewing that cover to reprogram it? Or would buying an older joystick with the slot accessible work?

My current Arrow has the older controller with the slot accessible like in that video. I actually lost the rubber dust cover 3 years ago at a concert when someone squeezed between me and the stage and her ass literally tore it off :cussing :lol:
Moosh89

Postby Burgerman » 07 Nov 2020, 22:31

I dont know. In Europe I dont think we ever had that system. At least I havent seen it. Its also very old. You may or maY not need to format that small SD card to FAT instead of FAT32 but theres many ways to do that.

I sent a PM.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 07 Nov 2020, 22:43

steves1977uk

Postby Moosh89 » 07 Nov 2020, 22:57

steves1977uk wrote:Found this... http://www.invacare.com/cgi-bin/imhqprd ... =537148866 :thumbup:

Steve

Thanks as well! Always good to have official resources and literature

I found an older joystick on eBay, in Canada to consider purchasing if I can't access the SD card slot by unscrewing the cover of this one.
Torque 3 MK6i Joystick.jpg
TORQUE 3 Current Joystick

Old MK6i Joystick.jpg
eBay Joystick

It doesn't have a file on it currently. Just need to know if swapping them (provided there's no SD card slot access on the original) will work.
Moosh89

Postby LearnerDriver » 24 Nov 2020, 22:58

Burgerman wrote:Best to just go with the flow. I am 60. 20 stone. Drive like a lunatic, fall out all the time. Over the back, sideways, and every way possible over the years. I no longer care. Its just embarassing with the passing fire service stopping to rescue me from my own stupidity. Or being laid in the wet road for an hour as I forgot my phone the last time... I wheelied it as you do, and it turned on its side and crashed down. It actually doesent really hurn.

Call me politically incorrect but with actions like this I think you need a GoPro and a YouTube channel :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LearnerDriver - New to all of this but keen to learn so please be gentle.
LearnerDriver

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair