Power Wheelchair "Veteran", but "Noob" for features

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Power Wheelchair "Veteran", but "Noob" for features

Postby LearnerDriver » 24 Nov 2020, 23:26

Burgerman wrote:To give you some idea of whats possible I just offered and was accepted £4400 for this chair linked below, with a centre power footrest fitted in place of the swing away ones. Its UNUSED and is the highest spec possible. Every expensive option was ticked. Even a faster 10A charger.

It was ordered new, sold in Aug, and returned the same month unused for whatever reason. Maybe too unwell or worse...

A £12K chair (I added up all the stuff on the prescription form), for all intents its literally brand new, for 1/3rd the price. With a 12 month warranty and power centre footrest included.

I used 2/3rds my Power Wheelchair Budget to pay for it 1 hour ago...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNRISE-QUIC ... Sw0GlfiE7A

SAME seller has many cheaper chairs for sale too.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/SOLUTIONS-MO ... 7675.l2563

That seller is a guy called Simon or known by his staff as ‘the big guy’ because he is a body builder. They are about 10 minutes from my house so if you ever want a chair checking out Burgerman then just shout me and I will pop up and have a look for you.
LearnerDriver - New to all of this but keen to learn so please be gentle.
LearnerDriver

Postby Burgerman » 25 Nov 2020, 00:18

But how would I know when I am going to fail?

This is me demonstrating how badly it steers with turn acceleration/deceleration set down to 90. Usually set to 100.

I drive full speed indoors, all of the time. Inc wheelies through doorways etc. I cant help it. Been doing this for 20 years. In this case old batteries, weedy 80A controller. So not very responsive.

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/control.mp4

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/wheelie.mp4
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Moosh89 » 25 Nov 2020, 00:55

Got the new chair today! First thing I checked was that the memory card slot was accessible behind that cover which is held by two screws, it is! :thumbup:

I did sit in it for about 5 minutes while it was tilted back. I can't sit up in it without proper seating like what I'm used to. I played with the seat lift and was pretty much eye level with my Mom standing next to me holding me up and it still wanted to keep going up lol. I chickened out and went back down lol.

I need to reprogram a few things, I need it to beep when switching modes since I can't see the controller and I want to set the drive lockout when tilted a bit lower as right now I can still move the chair when I feel unsteady while tilted.

The drive modes themselves feel a bit slower than the ones on my current chair so I want to get them more on par across both.

It has an attendant control box on the back which I don't want on it. And the powered leg rests I don't need/want.

I can start ordering a few more parts for it now that it's here :dance
Moosh89

Postby Burgerman » 25 Nov 2020, 01:56

Great! Get the tools out! Test and repeat. You never tried a lift before?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 25 Nov 2020, 02:32

That seller is a guy called Simon or known by his staff as ‘the big guy’ because he is a body builder. They are about 10 minutes from my house so if you ever want a chair checking out Burgerman then just shout me and I will pop up and have a look for you.

Thanks, in the middle of moving right now though.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Moosh89 » 25 Nov 2020, 02:47

Burgerman wrote:Great! Get the tools out! Test and repeat. You never tried a lift before?

I'm looking forward to getting it just right!

And nope, today was my first time trying seat elevation haha I can't wait to get the seat built up to support me properly so I can move around while a good foot and a half higher lol. I'll be able to see out windows I normally can't lol

Right now my two cats are fighting each other for who gets to sits on the throne like Moosh lol
Moosh89

Postby Burgerman » 25 Nov 2020, 03:31

I often thought about adding another seat elevator module on top of he first. So instead of 300mm lift you get 600. (And double the tilt!)

But heavy. And seat 2 inches higher. And way more dangerous and less stable.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Moosh89 » 07 Dec 2020, 22:34

I got a few parts for the new chair in the mail! (sorta!)

I got the Mk6 Input Switch Box 1136903 for installing a 4 Way Toggle Switch

My friend in the US received my 8" Front Caster Shock Forks and the 4 Way Toggle Switch Bracket, and he will be sending those up to me with a bunch of other non-related goods he's received or built for me.

I'm looking at 4 Way Toggle Switches now. I found a great deal on the same model I currently have on this wheelchair, but aesthetically I found an alternate variant I like better. I'm not sure if it would be compatible though, or if I could get a good enough deal on it

Here's the one like I currently have and know works:
4-Way Toggle Switch 1.jpg

Here's the other one I like the look of better: (I'm going for a retro scifi look and I love that its square and has the old style indicator lamp)
4-Way Toggle Switch Alternate 1.jpg

They appear to have the same connector, so would it work? The listing says it works on Invacare and most other power wheelchairs
Moosh89

Postby martin007 » 07 Dec 2020, 22:39

You can do a test.
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 08 Dec 2020, 00:29

I think it should be OK.

Theres a standardised way to wire that sub-D connector.

Its in the manual for the IOM unit on R-Net and the other alternate input devices. So probably the same for the dynamic system too. Rover is the most likely to know though for sure.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 08 Dec 2020, 01:52

I've had one of those apart, and basically it is simply 4 push button microswitches in a square, with the joystick pushing the one on the side opposite from where you point the stick....

I forget just how it was wired, but as long as the alternative box has the same hardware setup, it shouldn't be a problem to rewire it to make it the same if it isn't already...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Moosh89 » 08 Dec 2020, 03:38

Hopefully I can get a good enough deal on the one I like better then if you guys figure it's the same.

ex-Gooserider wrote:I've had one of those apart, and basically it is simply 4 push button microswitches in a square, with the joystick pushing the one on the side opposite from where you point the stick....

I forget just how it was wired, but as long as the alternative box has the same hardware setup, it shouldn't be a problem to rewire it to make it the same if it isn't already...

ex-Gooserider

Any idea how the "joystick top" comes off on these? Does it screw/twist off or can you pull it off? I'm too chicken to tinker with the one I have to find out in fear of wrecking it, but my plan is to add a new joystick top as pictured, once I find out LOL:
4-Way Toggle Switch Electret Top.jpg
Moosh89

Postby ex-Gooserider » 15 Dec 2020, 03:23

Not sure how it comes off for certain... I think it pulls off, but I'm not positive as I don't know that I actually took it off on the one I had... I was removing the entire unit as I replaced it with a set of DPDT switches for each actuator... I opened it up out of curiosity to see what was in the box, but didn't do much else with it...

I know that the all the regular joysticks I've played with have knobs that pull off... (My preference is no knob for as small a stick as I can manage...)

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

Postby Moosh89 » 17 Jan 2021, 21:47

I'm ready to start programming the new chair but I have a few questions:

I could only get a 16GB SD card, and the only "FAT" option my PC gave besides "FAT32" was "Ex-FAT" for reformatting it. I chose "Ex-FAT" and that's as far as I've gotten because...

The "instructions" literally just say: "extract the contents of this folder to a standard sd card [...]"

the contents of "this folder":
mk6i invacare pro chip.jpg

Does it matter if ALL of the contents go on the card?

I'm more of a visual learner so once I get the card set up on my computer, I'll be following this video (except for his settings, I prefer to make smaller changes) for copying the current settings and saving them somewhere safe and then editing new settings.
https://youtu.be/ycIWIUyzrKY

First change is turning on "Auditory Feedback" since I'm unable to tip my head down to see the controller.
Moosh89

Postby Burgerman » 17 Jan 2021, 23:13

I have no idea. You need an american on that system I think. Never seen one in the UK?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 19 Jan 2021, 03:26

That looks like one of those weird Microsoft OS screens, so not sure just what to do with it... My suspicion is that they might want you to treat it like making a bootable card. On a GNU/Linux box you can do that with 'dd' from the command line, not sure how you do it from Microsoft....

I notice they do have files "Instructions" and "M6I help" in that list - try looking at those to see if they offer any suggestions.

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

Postby Moosh89 » 19 Jan 2021, 20:21

Haha yeah, I guess I have weird customizations to my Windows theme with the bright yellow :lol:

Update, I got "Dan" to help me figure it out. I had to search locally on a buy and sell site for smaller SD cards, I scored 2 1GB cards which were going to be donated but I felt better paying $10 for them since that person dug them out and delivered them to my Mom's office. Shortly after another person offered to donate me a card too but it was too small. Nice to know there's some nice people local still

With Dan's help I got my card made and ready to reprogram. I'm waiting for Mom to get home from work to assist me with unscrewing the card slot cover on the controller. I'll update again once I actually get to the fun bit
Moosh89

Postby Burgerman » 19 Jan 2021, 20:35

You should be able to see what belongs on the card by looking at what is existing already on the card thats in there now. Check file system type, as well as content and card size.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Moosh89 » 22 Feb 2021, 02:35

Well, one month later I just now finally got to programming the new chair :thumbup:

It seems the powered seating settings for Tilt, Elevation and Powered Legs didn't get copied/got wiped, but I now have Auditory feedback turned on which I really needed since when I'm in the chair, I rely on it to know what mode I'm in.

Can anyone walk me through how to set the powered seating back up? How they operated before was pressing the center "Mode" button and then moving the joystick UP for Tilt, DOWN for Elevation and LEFT/RIGHT for each leg. I'm just unsure of which options to select.
Moosh89

Postby Moosh89 » 02 Mar 2021, 02:58

I got it figured out (mostly!).

The chair tilts and elevates, beeps when I need it to. The powered legs work too except the programmer doesn't want to keep my selections of LEFT: LEFT LEG U/D and RIGHT: RIGHT LEG U/D. Both LEFT and RIGHT always switch to LEG U/D which moves both legs at the same time, even though I've selected "Dual Independent" legs. It's not a dealbreaker as eventually I'll be removing the powered legs in favour of a center mount flip up footplate.

Next order of business is getting the seat built how I need it and see about painting it black.

Any suggestions on the best way to go about painting the frame black? 8-) Burgerman, I know you like black chairs too :lol: My Dad has a few friends who he takes his motorcycles to to get painted. I was thinking of seeing if he could take it to one of his friends home shops. I know the decals need to come off. I'm hesitant to have them try disassembling it to just get to the frame, so hoping they can figure out how to get it painted evenly with good coverage. There's not much space that needs paint so hopefully it will be a quick job.
Moosh89

Postby Burgerman » 02 Mar 2021, 15:15

3 ways.

Clean it up first, degrease all parts with abrasive.

Then, send to be powder coated. Needs a GOOD powder coater.

Or

Send to a spray shop for 2 pack paint. Best finish, and hardest to scratch. But costly.

Or...

If you want matt or satin finish, use a rattlecan. And 2 or 3 coats. Dont try gloss as they are bad finishes. The MATT or SATIN are usually better than what you see on manufacturer supplied parts.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Moosh89 » 17 May 2022, 20:42

Still slowly plugging away at this chair!

I finally got the seat built over the winter - that was quite the ordeal, All 3 chairs (my current powerchair, this new one and my manual) went in at the same time for emergency repairs/seating. My Dad hauled them down 3 hours to the city with his enclosed bike trailer and I spent the day in bed lol. It was "all hands on deck" to get them finished, but we got both powerchairs back that same day. I was impressed at how closely they replicated my seat on my current chair and copied it over to the new one without me being there. I still have to take it back to get it shored up a bit in some areas and get some softer padding, but at least I can sit in it for more than 10 minutes now without being propped up by pillows.

I had the powered legrests removed - I need to order some front riggings like my current ones on my chair I'm using, but right now I have no legrests on the new one. I kept the powered ones to hopefully trade or sell.

Still need to sort out getting it painted black, but I'll wait until I have front riggings so everything can be painted to match. Going to talk to some local automotive paint shops.

I bought that toggle switch I wanted! I still want to remove the top of the joystick for the nerdy one I have - but a bit nervous to try take the stock one off without knowing for sure how to get it off. If anyone knows, I'd love some insight!
4-Way Toggle Switch Alternate 1.jpg

Still daydreaming about getting fenders and some 14x4 solid tires :admirer
Moosh89

Postby Burgerman » 17 May 2022, 22:23

Pull, twist, warm it up. Dont damage the mechanism... Firm but careful.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Moosh89 » 08 Jun 2022, 19:17

I guess I will have to get brave and give it a go one of these days lol

Well, I'm back to my bulls*** again and daydreaming about finding black, flat-free 14x4 tires for my newer Torque 3. I will likely need to find the right rims. For some reason when I google 14x4 CHENG SHIN tires, all I get are the grey ones.

But lo-and-behold! BLACK FLAT-FREE 14X4 CHENG SHINS! But with rims for a JAZZY/Quantum.

Black JAZZY 14X4 Drive Wheel Assembly 1.jpg

Black JAZZY 14X4 Drive Wheel Assembly 3.jpg

By comparison, here's the standard Invacare set with rims
14X4 Drive Wheel Assembly 10.jpg
Moosh89

Postby Burgerman » 08 Jun 2022, 19:28

I use 120/70 - 8 tyres. On two of my chairs. They need a 3.5 to 4 inch wide rim.

And in inches are 15 which is close enough, x 120mm which is under 5 inches wide.
Attachments
810_2075.JPG
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Moosh89 » 25 Jul 2022, 00:57

I got lucky on eBay, finally and found a great deal on a used set of Grey Flat-Free Invacare 14x4 tires with rims, and a pair of Black Cheng Shin Flat-Free 14x4 tires! Sellers didn't want to ship outside of USA so I had my friend receive them for me. Once he got them I asked him to switch the rims over to the black tires and send them up, along with some other small parts I had ordered.

He got the rims out of the grey tires but he couldn't close up the rims to be flush with the black tires as they were on the grey tires. He didn't want to try to force them together too hard in case the rims bent, but he did stand on it and tried a hammer... I asked him to secure them well enough for shipping and send them.

If my Dad tries, how should he proceed? I may wait and have the wheelchair service team I use to do it and install them on my new chair.

Rim Not Flush.jpg

I also had the bottom seat padding redone on both chairs. Soon I will be able to sit in my new chair long enough to travel in it to the city to get it finished up! :dance
Moosh89

Postby Burgerman » 25 Jul 2022, 04:41

Those filled tyres come in various rim width options. So you need the correct tyre bead width to suit your rim width...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 26 Jul 2022, 00:50

Burgerman wrote:Those filled tyres come in various rim width options. So you need the correct tyre bead width to suit your rim width...

BM is correct, and I have run into issues trying to mount a couple foam fill tires off an Invacare H-frame on my Pride wheels... The Invacare tires were to narrow, and would just spin on the rim when put together. I'd expect the opposite problem trying to fit Pride tires on Invacare rims.

If the wheel halves clamp together all the way before the tires seat, you are basically SOL, ($#!t Out of Luck) and it isn't going to work... If the wheels don't want to clamp because the tires are holding them apart, you MIGHT be able to use longer bolts to force them together and then replace them w/ the shorter ones after you have them together, but this will only work if you are pretty close to right.

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

Postby expresso » 26 Jul 2022, 02:16

these look to be the same - they are hard to find - i was never able to find them either when i had my p222 chair - i found them in black for Air which is what i used and have now -

but in solid - i never found any - but from the picture - they are out there somewhere

looking at this chair - this wouldnt be so bad if it were RWD instead of FWD - its pride so not going there either way - but would be better than the Rival they have if this one was RWD which seems its just that with seating backwards anyway
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 26 Jul 2022, 04:16

Seriously, how hard could it be to put the seat on the right way?
Maybe the sell it both ways, it looks like it should be modulr.
Burgerman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair