Electronic experts - BLUETOOTH

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Electronic experts - BLUETOOTH

Postby Burgerman » 15 Feb 2021, 03:01

There are many of us that are running LTSC including me. Because its the only version of windows that works for me and not for microsoft. And before I started using this, I would spend a lot of time stripping store and about 30 other useless things out of windows to attempt to make a DIY LTSC version. As do many other people. Expresso is also using LTSC. Theres a lot of people that do! Its just like windows 7 was but better.

If yu could email it to burgerman@wheelchairdriver.com I would be greatful. Also could host it here if you wanted.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby snaker » 15 Feb 2021, 03:13

Burgerman wrote:I dont have windows store on Windows 10 version I use. Thank god. How can I get a copy to look at?

This app was written to published on Windows Store so it does not have a setup like former native sofwares. The reason I chose Windows Store because it provides a free hosting (and also free maintaining) for the app. If I release a new version, I just need to upload it to Windows Store and it will be immediately available to all users and automatically upgraded. I can write it as native software (which is easier in writing) but it will be difficult when deploying new versions.

Win10 Ltsc allows installing Windows Store. It is just a tool to publish 'modern' apps and you do not have to install or buy any app that you do not want. Yes, inside Windows Store might have some advertisements but they only appear a bit time while installing apps. They will not disturb us much.
snaker

Postby terry2 » 15 Feb 2021, 06:13

snaker wrote:I have ported the PL8 Remote app to Windows 10 and published it on Windows Store. As it runs on Windows, it is able to communicate with the PL8 charger through both Bluetooth or USB cable. If you do not have BT yet, you still can use it with your USB cable. This is an initial version, let me know if you want to add more features or more sophisticated graphs.

Link to install the app (from Windows Store):
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/pl8-r ... verviewtab

Video of installing the app from Windows Store:
https://youtu.be/zbQC24pUKSs

Video of using the app:
https://youtu.be/htKC95rLzDk

pl8remote.jpg

Installed ok.

I will use it next time I charge.

Thank you dude :)
terry2

Postby Burgerman » 15 Feb 2021, 14:48

Win10 Ltsc allows installing Windows Store.

Not if you paid me. I have a clean mean windows. I dont want microsofts moneymaking home phoning normal user junk on it! Thanks.

Also any software installed on my PC is in MY OWN store. I dont need it to do automatic updates checking, and I dont want to be relying on MS Store if I do a reinstall or get a new PC etc. It may not even exist then! So no its a bad idea.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 15 Feb 2021, 17:20

i got it on my laptop - - now to figure it out - so this is a computer app ? its not installed on a phone ?

the drop down box to choose a connection and preset show nothing - is it because its not connected to the PL8 yet - ?
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby snaker » 16 Feb 2021, 01:46

expresso wrote:i got it on my laptop - - now to figure it out - so this is a computer app ? its not installed on a phone ?

the drop down box to choose a connection and preset show nothing - is it because its not connected to the PL8 yet - ?

Yes, it is for win10. It also supports ARM CPUs which mean it can run on Surface RT or Raspberry (with Windows IoT). There is an Android version that I posted previously. But it requires that you have BT, it does not work with usb cables.

Yes, you need to connect your laptop to PL8 through your usb cable first. That dropdown box will show the COM port of the usb cable. Or you can simply plug your usb cable to your laptop.
snaker

Postby expresso » 16 Feb 2021, 02:03

ok thanks i tried it - it works on my laptop - connected with the usb cable - i use the laptop only to charge so this would work fine

but what difference is there between using this app vs just the charger graphs etc, ?

i though it was for the phones - i dont have it on BT the charger - so out of luck then - but i like it - good work - i will use it next time i charge

thanks for putting in the effort :thumbup:
expresso

Postby rickystyx » 22 Feb 2021, 18:20

ICEUK wrote:
expresso wrote:Whow I guess I stick to the wire only[/quote

Expresso, i done the bt mod internally and you can still use the wire for updating, i will do my other 2 Pl8s would a video of the installation be of use to you?

Did you ever manage to make the video of installing? I have asked woody to make me a bluetooth unit for each of my PL8s but haven't a clue how to fit them when they arrive

Cheers
Ricky
ottobock b400 150Ah lifepo4
Swiss-trac manual chair add on with 30Ah Lifepo4 (want more 15Ah headway cells )
Meyra Optimus (PRIME)2 150Ah lifepo4 :0)
rickystyx

Postby expresso » 22 Feb 2021, 18:22

if there is a step by step good video - i love to see it also - i may try it if i feel i have a good shot at not breaking the charger -

now is not a good time to break one - still no word when they will be shipping out - its now March soon and nothing yet -
expresso

Postby snaker » 23 Feb 2021, 03:03

I am going to make another external BT box. I will post all components and step by step to make it. It is very simple and easy and SAFE and 100% work. Total cost is also cheap, less than $12.
snaker

Postby expresso » 23 Feb 2021, 03:05

Nice - i want to do it also - if its that simple -
expresso

Postby rickystyx » 23 Feb 2021, 10:51

snaker wrote:I am going to make another external BT box. I will post all components and step by step to make it. It is very simple and easy and SAFE and 100% work. Total cost is also cheap, less than $12.

I'd much prefer an add on box even though my PL8s are beyond guarantee so if it is nice and easy I'll go that way too :0)
Swiss-trac manual chair add on with 30Ah Lifepo4 (want more 15Ah headway cells )
rickystyx

Postby Burgerman » 23 Feb 2021, 11:49

Personal opinion on this is that its actually harder to do externally as it needs power too. And its then vulnerable hanging on the wires. Its actually easier to fit the power supply - a hobbywing 5V supply in my case inside. And plug the BT board in OUTSIDE and then run the cable back inside to the loosely internally fitted BT board.

Then you can unplug it at will, to do firmware updates. And nothing hanging around oustside the case. And no external power supply needed.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rickystyx » 23 Feb 2021, 13:24

I think to be fair that I'd be happy to do it any way possible but I'm not quite sure what will arrive from woody or how I will have to connect it- I've been through the whole thread and still haven't found any sort of step by step explanation. I can do soldering and fit a 5v supply without any problem but after that I will need a bit of direction as to what goes where inside or outside. I just want to be able to sit in the house with the computer while the chair charges in the garage - I can do that now of course but then I have no way of knowing what is happening and I do like to see the graphs and cell voltages - I just don't like freezing myself whilst doing it :lol:
rickystyx

Postby Burgerman » 23 Feb 2021, 13:40

Woody will send this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT06-Bluetoo ... SwFLReuGR3

Or similar.

You provide it 5V and 0V. From inside the PL8 via a power supply like this: Or similar. Connect its input to the PL8 input wires by soldering to the board. Feed its 5V to the BT boards 5V and 0V above. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-6S-Step-Do ... SwEOhfl8yJ

Then you need one small low drop diode. To connect the SEND and RECEIVE down 1 wire. And also the plus and minus 5V down a normal servo wire to outside the case. With a small wire loop. The BT and regulator stay inside the PL8. The wire is a loop that plugs into where the PL8 has its 3 pin ouput.

Unplug 1 wire here, and its no longer BT So you can do firmware updates etc. This is all you can see. I melted that U shape with the soldering iron...

Read https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... &start=240
Attachments
810_2750.JPG
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rickystyx » 23 Feb 2021, 14:03

Burgerman wrote:Woody will send this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT06-Bluetoo ... SwFLReuGR3

Or similar.

You provide it 5V and 0V. From inside the PL8 via a power supply like this: Or similar. Connect its input to the PL8 input wires by soldering to the board. Feed its 5V to the BT boards 5V and 0V above. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-6S-Step-Do ... SwEOhfl8yJ

Then you need one small low drop diode. To connect the SEND and RECEIVE down 1 wire. And also the plus and minus 5V down a normal servo wire to outside the case. With a small wire loop. The BT and regulator stay inside the PL8. The wire is a loop that plugs into where the PL8 has its 3 pin ouput.

Ok understand the first two parts but still a bit vague on the last part - I've ordered the power supplies so when they come I can connect them directly to the BT board's 0 and 5v no problem so far and supplying the power supply from the PL8 is that from the PL8's power supply input?
The next bit I'm unsure about - the small low drop diode. To connect the SEND and RECEIVE down 1 wire. And also the plus and minus 5V down a normal servo wire to outside the case - I know I'm being a bit dim but that's a 3 pin servo wire I need and what sort of diode and can you show me how they need to be attached to the BT board please?
are these OK? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-3Pin-10 ... SwRwhZsnq1
rickystyx

Postby woodygb » 23 Feb 2021, 14:49

I will add in the required diode ( Schottky ) .... I will also give you 2 of those servo extensions.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby rickystyx » 23 Feb 2021, 15:00

you are a hero - thank you
rickystyx

Postby Burgerman » 23 Feb 2021, 15:18

and supplying the power supply from the PL8 is that from the PL8's power supply input?

Yes.

Woody will advise on how to use the diode. Personally I just soldered it to the BT boards pins and snipped one off. And soldered the servo lead directly to the 3 remaining pins with heatshrink. Wrapped it in polythene and taped it. Pushed it into the case. Works great up to around 40 feet away. Or in next room.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 23 Feb 2021, 17:47

i like to do it also - i dont mind it outside - i have power right near it and can just leave it plugged in for power -

i can solder but in small tight spots - its hard - i am not great at it but manage to make my cables at least - i like to try this one way or another - on one my chargers to see how it works out

i wait for step by step video - pictures - both ways - inside and outside way - i try outside first
expresso

Postby snaker » 24 Feb 2021, 01:42

I am only waiting for the futaba (servo?) cables for start this project. This time I will try to make the BT box as small as possible, same size of a thumb. Expresso, making that BT box is a lot simpler and easier than building a lithium pack. I am sure.

Even though BM said the opposite, I always confirm that everyone should do the BT externally first and make sure it works properly. Then you can move ahead to make it internally in the next step. The reason is that we can never make anything perfect at the first shot. There will be always mistakes, bugs, faults etc that cause errors. If it is external, we have chance to easily diagnose the errors and fix them. If it is already internal, it is very hard or complicated or impossible to diagnose. And a small mistake can ruin the PL8. That should not happen in this time when PL8 is still not sold.
snaker

Postby expresso » 24 Feb 2021, 02:16

yes i agree snaker - dont want to kill a charger of some BT - i do the box - when you make it and show me step by step - what to buy etc,

i do that
expresso

Postby snaker » 24 Feb 2021, 03:00

This is the diagram of the BT internal or external. As you see, components are very simple. Mainly a HC-06 BT module, a schottky diode plus some wires and connectors.

bt.jpg
snaker

Postby expresso » 24 Feb 2021, 03:20

ok i like to see pictures when you do it step by step - what size wire - etc, -
expresso

Postby woodygb » 24 Feb 2021, 13:05

rickystyx wrote:you are a hero - thank you

I have 2 made for you.

Names and Pairing codes are both different....these are written on a piece of paper inserted into the holder.

You will get something like the drawing below with a separate/additional Black wire for EXTERNAL location of the module ....YOU will need to graft this on if you go the external route.

PL8A.jpg
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 24 Feb 2021, 13:19

Additional info ....The wires can be removed from the plug by simply lifting the tag with a Stanley knife blade or similar.
tab.png
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 24 Feb 2021, 13:32

I connected the pos as well. All 3 wires. But it likely works without too!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rickystyx » 24 Feb 2021, 14:06

Brilliant - thank you all so much, once all the bits arrive I will put them together and show you photos so you can see if I have made any daft connections before I power it up on the PL8
Cheers
Ricky
rickystyx

Postby snaker » 25 Feb 2021, 01:38

Beware of the diode's direction too. Its head (the white ring) must connect to the TX pin on the BT module.
snaker

Postby Irving » 25 Feb 2021, 13:54

One major caveat to the diagram on how to connect the BT adapter negative ground (black) wire.

If you are using an external buck (down) converter DO NOT power it directly off the main charger supply unless it is an isolated DC-DC converter. If it is non-isolated, connect the + input to the PL8 + (red) input only and be very careful that the - (black) connection of the buck converter does not come into contact with the - input to the PL8. Better, for safety, use a stand-alone isolated 5v USB charger, a stand-alone 5v USB powerpack, or a 3 x AA cell switched battery holder and do not connect the negative side to the negative power input.

Now, I know there are those that say they've wired it directly and it works, and yes it will, most of the time. But it is a problem waiting to happen...

The negative input to the PL8 goes to a pair of parallel 40A fuses, a MOSFET isolation switch and a high frequency noise filter BEFORE it becomes the internal 0v rail and ground connection on the 3-pin remote control connector. So connecting the BT ground to the negative power input ground bypasses all of that and under fault/overload conditions and/or when doing high-power discharge into a dummy load, that connection can potentially become the main current flow in or out of the PL8 which is almost guaranteed to do some serious damage to the BT adapter, the PL8, the wiring and/or the local environment...
C5/6 A (complete)
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
Irving

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair