Power for camera

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Power for camera

Postby greybeard » 17 Feb 2021, 13:11

Advancing age is getting the better of me and I'm getting weaker. It is no longer possible to turn my head to see what's behind, so I'm fitting a rear view camera and monitor but not sure about the best place to get power for it.

Can anyone please suggest the easiest place to access 24v but only when the chair is powered on? I know I could use the charging port but would prefer a more permanent solution provided it doesn't require too much dismantling, e.g. I can't get into the battery box and have nobody to assist.

Many thanks.
greybeard

Re: Power for camera

Postby Burgerman » 17 Feb 2021, 13:32

The charge port is always on.
The battery and any connectors everywhere are also always on. You will need a switch.

And at that point you will be able to connect almost anywhere.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 23 Feb 2021, 04:20

One possible alternative is if the chair has lighting that switches, you MIGHT be able to connect to the output side of the lighting module... The module needs to put out the right voltage, and you need to be willing to either have the lights on any time the camera is, or skip the lights....

I don't know if some of the systems that have outputs for actuators would allow those outputs to be reprogrammed to let you use them as on/off switches instead of actuators - if so, and you have an unused output that might also work.

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby greybeard » 23 Feb 2021, 15:07

Thanks guys. For ease of installation and use I'm going to use a rechargeable USB power pack. The camera and DVR are designed for a motorcycle and run happily enough on 5v. The power pack is only there to top up the display/DVR's internal battery.
greybeard

Postby LearnerDriver » 24 Feb 2021, 15:43

Have you got details of what you are using as it may be helpful for others. I am really]y interested.
LearnerDriver - New to all of this but keen to learn so please be gentle.
LearnerDriver

Postby owenminor » 25 Feb 2021, 03:41

Two things.
1: I've had great success with this 24v usb quickcharge/volt meter.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083LC3L94/re ... UTF8&psc=1

2: I also make a seat switch out of 2 pieces of metal from the metal section of home depot, menards, or any big box hardware store. 2 12"x12" sheets of aluminum or copper. Stack them over each other. Drill and Bolt them together with 2 bolts. Get a 3/8" socket wrench extension and whack the large side of the extension into the metal. Put it on the dirt when you do it. Grass works too. Put about 8 dimples in. Unbolt. Flip one sheet over and put a layer of 1/2" foam between. Take one side off and cut out holes for the dimples to poke through. Razorbalde out the dimples and scuff sand the dimples once uncovered. You want it to conduct when you squeeze on this sandwich. Adjust with thicker or thinner foam for your needs. 3m 77 spray glue both side of the foam and sandwich it between without getting glue on the dimples. Let dry. Attach a wire to each side of the sandwich. Preferably through the centering holes you drilled. Seat switch. Put under your seat pad.
Link Is ONLY for illustration. If you $65 on this specific model, I'll be sad. Never tested that one. Search for tractor or forklift seat switch for the best price.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HR1WZYZ/re ... UTF8&psc=1
owenminor

Postby greybeard » 25 Feb 2021, 10:41

LearnerDriver wrote:Have you got details of what you are using as it may be helpful for others. I am really]y interested.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-720P-Moto ... %3A2047675
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 25 Feb 2021, 12:34

All these fancy joysticks could display that on screen. Which is they were even remotely interested would already be implemented in firmware and it would turn on with the system. But they dont seem to wake up to the things that are useful to us. The screen hardware, and the cpu etc elready exists so it would only add pennies.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 25 Feb 2021, 13:58

True. But they would prefer to sell you at an inflated price a clunky bicycle mirror that hit every door frame so made it impractical and impossible to use. :cussing banghead
greybeard

Postby greybeard » 25 Feb 2021, 14:28

In case anyone is tempted to buy one of these units, I discarded the designated rear camera as it is only 720. The designated front camera that I used on the rear of the chair is 1080. There is a significant difference on the 2 inch display screen. There are sufficient cables supplied to hard wire it to any 12 or 24 supply. It has an inline transformer that drops the voltage to 5 volts so I chose to discard that and connect directly to a bog standard USB 5v power bank.

The system works satisfactorily with a good clear view of what's happening behind.
greybeard

Postby LearnerDriver » 25 Feb 2021, 17:01

greybeard wrote:True. But they would prefer to sell you at an inflated price a clunky bicycle mirror that hit every door frame so made it impractical and impossible to use. :cussing banghead

Well thanks for that comment, I just spat my tea out laughing :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

I needed something to make me laugh after the day at work I have just had LOL
LearnerDriver - New to all of this but keen to learn so please be gentle.
LearnerDriver

Return to Everything Powerchair