New Van Options

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Re: New Van Options

Postby Chairman » 06 Apr 2021, 21:36

Burgerman wrote:
I might add that as a disabled driver options such as adaptive cruise control and in town emergency stopping and the ability to keep constant safe distance etc is an option I REALLY want. This is one of those that isnt even available on that configurator for the shuttle. Or maybe I missed it.

You are daft as I have them all, case rested. Little knowledge and all that can be a dangerous thing.

Also, the emergency stopping is awful, mine has triggered more than once on an open road with no vehicles around. I'm not unique either. The last time it happened was on a bend approaching a chevron sign that might have triggered it as it was the only thing around. Rounding the corner already loads a paralysed body and suddenly there was the awful noise and the vehicle slammed to a halt. I all but let go of the steering wheel and almost found myself in the passenger seat. My eye-line was way below the windscreen and getting back up was uncomfortable.
Chairman

Postby Burgerman » 06 Apr 2021, 21:42

I am not daft at all. THAT is why I said: Or maybe I missed it.
Because I couldnt be arsed to go through that terrible slow website again.

When using hand controls it is likely to be safer than my fingers slipping. As has happened a few times.

I forgot to mention... If you choose BETTER and more luxury options such as the 32 litre fridge and warmer, better heating and air conditioning system, 2nd battery, and many other things, such as the better steering wheel, and better interior trim options, and 18 inch wheels and tyres and a bunch more, it actually works out CHEAPER to get the caravelle by a few hundred for a better built car. I just did exactly that here
https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/en/co ... +Executive
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 08 Apr 2021, 03:34

https://www.t6forum.com/threads/acc-fro ... king.6976/

Interesting thread on this auto city and proximity braking. Def wear your seat belt!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Chairman » 08 Apr 2021, 12:38

Yes, it's not worth having it on if it randomly applies itself. It's done it to me 3 times and the last time I was lucky not to remain on the passenger seat. My seatbelt was useless in a sideways direction and throw in paralysis to the mix and it's a liability. The other 2 occasions were travelling quickly in a straight line approaching a car turning left. The car was in the distance but my closing speed was quick but certainly not something I was worried about but the van was and slammed the brakes on along with the bloody noise which is enough to scare the dead. The seatbelt worked in these 2 cases but jolted my lower half to the point my spasm increased for the remainder of the day.
Chairman

Postby Burgerman » 08 Apr 2021, 13:04

I think the best solution is to keep the safety features and use a full harness. Even if it just holds your upper torso to the chair as you drive.

And be very aware of how it works. Theres a lot of info about what its going to do in the handbook. And I would rather keep the advantages. Did you test that lane thing? Do you have it? (Side Scan and Lane Assist)

youtu.be/iCwBgQY0q6E
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 08 Apr 2021, 13:20

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Chairman » 08 Apr 2021, 13:30

I couldn't wear a full harness in a van, I'd feel a right plank. I'm better off without the interfering, inaccurate tosh turned off. As an ex-racer I'm happy I can stand the van on edge without VWs unwelcome assistance telling me I'm too enthusiastic approaching an obstacle 300 feet away at a faster pace than a wheelchair. It really isn't worth the shock when it applies itself, that's enough to kill you. Nobody yet has been able to say categorically why and how it does apply itself, it is random!

I don't have the lane assist but a friend does and says it works when tested but again, just something else unnecessary if you don't have a habit of weaving and can actually drive straight. I still use the early technology called a steering wheel and have mastered turning it when necessary. Of course it'd be handy if you'd forgotten your Labrador and were driving solo.

You're welcome to it all.
Chairman

Postby Burgerman » 09 Apr 2021, 09:37

It might not matter anyway. I am only looking at the ford and the caravelle again to compare one thing really. If my getting up and staying on bed to heal routine matches the time they can come here. We tried before xmas and I had a sore and 24/7 bed again. So this is a new go. Its spring and everything is healed. So getting up monday to test new roho cushions every day and hope they fix the problem permanantly.

And that important test of vans is the position that the chair is in when sat at the wheel on both of the GM lowered floor vans. The problem with the last few versions of the VW is that the bit you need to be in for correct position to drive is narrow caused by the gear lever console where it sticks out. My left knee and that console need the same bit of space. You cannot get fully square onto the wheel and close enough in. At least I dont think so. Unless the T5 was worse. The ford van may be smaller, but that gear lever may be in a better position. But it may lack headroom. Hence reason to look at both.

So when both fail the fit test, as I expect they might, I will be looking at the dollar/pound exchange rates again and buying another lowered floor US or Canadian minivan. Toyota, honda, or whatever. They dont have this issue. And the last chrisler one I bought was half the cost of the same thing in right hand drive because there was 2 dollars to the pound. 2.07 to be exact. Making the whole thing including shipping, special testing, and tie down, and hand controls, a fraction less than 30k to my door.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby stevelawiw » 09 Apr 2021, 13:26

That emergency brake thing sounds horrific! I wouldn't want that in my van.
When I spoke to GM last they said the next new Caravelle model will be a rebadged Ford Custom.
stevelawiw

Postby Chairman » 09 Apr 2021, 14:30

Burgerman wrote:It might not matter anyway. I am only looking at the ford and the caravelle again to compare one thing really. If my getting up and staying on bed to heal routine matches the time they can come here. We tried before xmas and I had a sore and 24/7 bed again. So this is a new go. Its spring and everything is healed. So getting up monday to test new roho cushions every day and hope they fix the problem permanantly.

And that important test of vans is the position that the chair is in when sat at the wheel on both of the GM lowered floor vans. The problem with the last few versions of the VW is that the bit you need to be in for correct position to drive is narrow caused by the gear lever console where it sticks out. My left knee and that console need the same bit of space. You cannot get fully square onto the wheel and close enough in. At least I dont think so. Unless the T5 was worse. The ford van may be smaller, but that gear lever may be in a better position. But it may lack headroom. Hence reason to look at both.

So when both fail the fit test, as I expect they might, I will be looking at the dollar/pound exchange rates again and buying another lowered floor US or Canadian minivan. Toyota, honda, or whatever. They dont have this issue. And the last chrisler one I bought was half the cost of the same thing in right hand drive because there was 2 dollars to the pound. 2.07 to be exact. Making the whole thing including shipping, special testing, and tie down, and hand controls, a fraction less than 30k to my door.

Yes, the most important part of all is any vehicle has to be comfortable with no compromise. I'm not so sure about lining up straight in the VW, I'll have to look and report back. I do know the door pockets are narrower to the point an envelope would compete for available storage so possibly they thinned out the seatbelt arrangement too increasing space. The gearbox console is tight but I occasionally rest my knee against it if I've done a few miles but then I'm not driving from my wheelchair.

My last import, a big Ford 5.8 V8 dayvan had acres of space and was a lot of fun to drive. If I was you, though the pound isn't favourable at present, I'd stick with what you have in terms of setup but just update it if you feel the need.

Transferring into a driver's seat would give you more alternatives of course and possibly help your pressure issues with not being seated in the same position all day, I know it helps me with discomfort and although driving from a wheelchair is so much easier to do it's something I want to prevent for now.
Chairman

Postby Chairman » 09 Apr 2021, 14:37

stevelawiw wrote:That emergency brake thing sounds horrific! I wouldn't want that in my van.
When I spoke to GM last they said the next new Caravelle model will be a rebadged Ford Custom.

It is horrific, its a lottery as to when it gets triggered and not something you want when driving. It took a while to forget it happened and ruined any drive straight after thinking it'd trigger again anytime soon.
Chairman

Postby Chairman » 10 Apr 2021, 18:39

No idea if you can gauge much from these images but I took them anyway. The seatbelt pillar is pretty flush with the doorstep so you have as much chance of disappearing down the step as catching the seatbelt pillar, I reckon. Of course you'll be trying it on a demo and will know more.

D4A75531-6B80-4BD1-9BC0-E9FDDA9CD519.jpeg

467B3A88-A897-4FCA-BFC3-8FB86645B1B6.jpeg

94227B1A-56D4-4E8A-B26B-4A51B7A7C28F.jpeg
Chairman

Postby Chairman » 10 Apr 2021, 18:41

B14FF58C-8EF8-4297-856F-D7361E6DAD21.jpeg
Chairman

Postby Burgerman » 10 Apr 2021, 21:03

Thanks.

In the lowered floor gm vans that B piller is slimmed down so it does not stick out and the floor is 10 inches lower. Even so a typical 26 inch wheelchair touches on the door side, and pushes the chair to the left meaning the steering wheel is off centre to the chair and youe left knee hits the gear console. At least it did on the T5 vans. And so its not really about the door pockets but B pillar and chair width.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Chairman » 10 Apr 2021, 21:22

Burgerman wrote:Thanks.

In the lowered floor gm vans that B piller is slimmed down so it does not stick out and the floor is 10 inches lower. Even so a typical 26 inch wheelchair touches on the door side, and pushes the chair to the left meaning the steering wheel is off centre to the chair and youe left knee hits the gear console. At least it did on the T5 vans. And so its not really about the door pockets but B pillar and chair width.

Yes, I get all that though of course I forgot the lowered floor would negate any step. I do think the whole side is slimmer than my earlier T5.1 but if the wheelchair still gets pushed to the left it's a no go. If it was the only vehicle on the market you could look at modifying the side but it isn't so it wouldn't warrant it unless you were hell bent on a VW, which you're not.
Chairman

Postby Burgerman » 11 Apr 2021, 11:31

I am used to this.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7835

PlentY room to move and easy to get any chair square on to the driving position. Yes its old now from jan 2007. But 12k miles! And litrally as new. But I want more modern and all the toys. At least it goes well with 3.8 litre petrol. 228bhp. Smooth and quiet 6 cylinders. And effortless unlike all the turbo diesels. Yes it likes fuel!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Chairman » 11 Apr 2021, 13:21

Burgerman wrote:I am used to this.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7835

PlentY room to move and easy to get any chair square on to the driving position. Yes its old now from jan 2007. But 12k miles! And litrally as new. But I want more modern and all the toys. At least it goes well with 3.8 litre petrol. 228bhp. Smooth and quiet 6 cylinders. And effortless unlike all the turbo diesels. Yes it likes fuel!

I was always against the thought of a modern 2 litre turbo diesel after only driving performance vehicles or V8 vans but I have to say the VW drives effortlessly with its 7 gears and is no slouch. You will be pleasantly surprised should you get to drive one and of course fuel consumption is always a bonus. Many a time have I embarrassed cars off the mark, in gear overtaking, round bends and stopping. :mrgreen:
Chairman

Postby Burgerman » 11 Apr 2021, 14:23

You realise that in a pre accident life that my roadbike was a 300bhp turbocharged rajayT4 GSX 1100E with 2 stages of nitrous on top right? And I used to drag race that and my V8 converted nitrous injected ford sierra car? I built fuel injected turbo drag bike engines, and nitrous injection systems, and automotive rolling roads for a self employed living. I have driven and ridden some rediculously overpowered vehicles on road and on the drag strip.

So yes. All vans feel gutless. So do all production cars. And the diesels are worse. They have a knot of power at a narrow range of RPM and so need all 7 gears to row them along... But I know what you mean. But a 2 litre turbo diesel is JUST enough to make adequate progress for getting around. Its all about horses for courses. In a heavy van I would be OK with a 200bhp diesel. As fuel is ££££££. But fast they are not! The fastest caravelles are a fraction less than 10 secs to 60. A stock production big bike can do 2.something secs to 60mph. 4 secs to 100. To put that into some perspective. And that feels FAST! As I am unable to do any of that stuff now, I have a van...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Chairman » 11 Apr 2021, 15:42

Burgerman wrote:You realise that in a pre accident life that my roadbike was a 300bhp turbocharged rajayT4 GSX 1100E with 2 stages of nitrous on top right? And I used to drag race that and my V8 converted nitrous injected ford sierra car? I built fuel injected turbo drag bike engines, and nitrous injection systems, and automotive rolling roads for a self employed living. I have driven and ridden some rediculously overpowered vehicles on road and on the drag strip.

So yes. All vans feel gutless. So do all production cars. And the diesels are worse. They have a knot of power at a narrow range of RPM and so need all 7 gears to row them along... But I know what you mean. But a 2 litre turbo diesel is JUST enough to make adequate progress for getting around. Its all about horses for courses. In a heavy van I would be OK with a 200bhp diesel. As fuel is ££££££. But fast they are not! The fastest caravelles are a fraction less than 10 secs to 60. A stock production big bike can do 2.something secs to 60mph. 4 secs to 100. To put that into some perspective. And that feels FAST! As I am unable to do any of that stuff now, I have a van...

Yes, I do realise but you haven't a clue what I did pre accident so while vans aren't ever going to be fast, and I never said they were, they are no longer what you expect if you haven't driven one. I'm happy I speak from absolute authority on this one but whether or not you wish to believe it is of course your choice. I shall simply await your verdict.

P.S. Driving fast in a straight line for a few seconds is for pussies. butred
Chairman

Postby Chairman » 11 Apr 2021, 16:02

I should just add post accident too of course because the only difference was the vehicles gained a couple of wheels and a set of hand controls but were extremely quick on the road and track. :dance
Chairman

Postby Burgerman » 11 Apr 2021, 18:40

.S. Driving fast in a straight line for a few seconds is for pussies.

You dont know what "quick" is. But these were also my ROAD bikes. And track day bikes. I worked testing motorcycles for a bike magazine called performance bikes. So yes tracks, roads, everyting with 2 wheels. You said motocrossers. I rode a few, not what I call fast by a long way.

But whatever, I wont be doing any of that again and so vans... 200bhp is 200 bhp no matter if its deisel, wind up, electric or petrol. So why would I need to drive it to find out. Its less power to weight that the chrysler in my drive. Albeit not by that much. Performance will be similar and adequate for transport/safe overtaking in a 2 ton van. Just about. Yes the 7 speed auto disguises the fact that its got a very short span of power. And isnt a flexible motor. No diesel is. Thats why it has all those gears and multiple turbos, variable vane technology etc to try and make this less of an issue. I am not very keen on deseasels.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Chairman » 11 Apr 2021, 19:11

Burgerman wrote:You dont know what fast is.

But these were also my ROAD bikes. And track day bikes. I worked testing motorcycles for a bike magazine called performance bikes. So yes tracks, roads, everyting with 2 wheels. You said motocrossers. I rode a few, not what I call fast by a long way.

But whatever, I wont be doing any of that again and 200bhp is 200 bhp no matter if its deisel, wind up, electric or petrol. So why would I need to drive it to find out. Its less power to weight that the chrysler in my drive. Albeit not by that much. Performance will be similar and adequate. Yes the 7 speed auto disguises the fact that its got a very short span of power. And isnt a flexible motor. Thats why it has all those gears. I am not very keen on deseasels.

Sometimes you are clueless but it doesn't stop you spouting. :lol:
Chairman

Postby Burgerman » 11 Apr 2021, 19:22

About what am I clueless? You are keen on insults but short on facts.

Much like the shuttle bull. All a shuttle is is a caravelle with all the nice details and luxury and functional options removed. To save 10k. Like carpets... Add a few essentials back in and you dont save much at all and its short on lots.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Chairman » 11 Apr 2021, 19:43

Burgerman wrote:About what am I clueless? You are keen on insults but short on facts.

That's not an insult, it's fact. You're stuck in the past, time to move on.
Chairman

Postby Burgerman » 11 Apr 2021, 21:27

In what way. And please dont give me the "modern diesel" bollocks they have been extracting the best performance they can and the greatest flexibility for donkeys years. People were telling me this decades ago. And yet every power or torque curve is more or less identical in 2 decades. Remember I used to build and design automotove dynamometers. I see no changes. And yes I have been in one, and not driven it, a T5 at the last demo.

So give me some FACTS about what you are talking about. Not some drivel about "the past".

A typical equivelent petrol engine is tractable and usable over double the RPM range. So doesent need 7 gears to make it work.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Chairman » 11 Apr 2021, 21:43

Burgerman wrote:And yes I have been in one, and not driven it, a T5 at the last demo.

Oh dear! Next it'll be your mate down the pub told you. :lol:
Chairman

Postby Burgerman » 11 Apr 2021, 22:00

Heres how it REALLY is. I am presuming this is what you are talking about because the sniggering isnt defined. Because you dont know anything.

Put up or shut up.

I have built and destroyed more engines than most sane people for my own use and for customers. And run them all on various dynamometers including MY OWN! I also used to fit nitrous/propane injection to deisel cars. I know A LOT about engines. So read and learn.

A 2016 VW 127bhp petrol engine to show the RPM range usable. Most petrol engines are very similar. Similar torque and power curves in a road tune. Note torque curve. Torque = acceleration or tractability. Pertol engine? Usable from under 1400rpm to over 6k. Any gear will work its not fussy.

A stock VW dual turbo fancy deisel from the T5 range used in various states of tune across vans, busses and caravelles. This is the 180, 187, and the 201 HP engine in the caravelle. All the same engine with different boost levels. T6 isnt any better.

Here shown with and without a chip.

Notice that it runs out of steam at 4.5k rpm. Like almost all diesels do. And starts being usable with sensible power at a higher RPM than the petrol engine. So has HALF the RPM range usable and so needs many gears to match road speed to the usable engine speed.

This is the case in all diesels and being as you are so knowlegables then you will be able to tell me the two reasons why this is wont you? :lol: Or do you want me to explain it for you? Be very careful insulting me because I dont suffer insults or fools at all well.
Attachments
vw-2-0bitdi-180ps-caravelle-caravan-transporter.jpg
It wouldnt matter WHAT passenger vehicle diesel engine I had used or what year. They all have the same 2.5 thousand RPM usable power "knot"...
vw_1.5_tsi_2016.jpg
It wouldnt matter WHAT passenger vehicle petrol engine I had used or what year. They all have the same wide 2 to 6k rpm range pretty much. Making them far more flexible and tractable.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 11 Apr 2021, 23:00

And they can be better still when turboed and set up properly.

This is a BMW 6 cylinder from an M3.

Makes good power across a massive range of RPMs. An extremely flexible motor. This thing wouldnt care what gear it was in... Theres no diesel that can ever match that kind of usable tractable RPM range. And they have not got any better in decades. All they do in increase boost. And get power over the same limited range.

You still have not told me why this is. What are you waiting for?
Attachments
rdsportstroker.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Chairman » 12 Apr 2021, 07:28

Wouldn't that be good if it remotely pertained to what I mentioned?

I quote: "I have to say the VW drives effortlessly with its 7 gears and is no slouch. You will be pleasantly surprised should you get to drive one"

Why on earth you go off on a massive tangent is beyond many I suspect. Who was talking about diesel characteristics and who on blóody earth was talking about M3s! :lol:

It's like you can't help yourself.

A Psychotherapists dream you are! :lol: :lol:

Maybe my van is petrol, have you thought about that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEeCtK7b8Pw
Chairman

Postby Burgerman » 12 Apr 2021, 08:59

Well I dont know. Other than theres is no petrol option offered on the latest ones as far as I know. Or the previous ones. But that is not what we were talking about at all.

Because all you do ever since I pointed out that the van with windows you bought is like a caravelle with all the nice consumer bits and options missing, is attempt to insult me and refuse to define why in any detail because you are ignorant and rude and now know you are wrong. And you can tune anything. I should know. But we were not talking about tuning. or petrol engines. This is your latest attempt to try to look less foolish by changing the subject. I suggest you stop digging. And insulting me. Because it isnt working out well for you. Remember that you started this. And you were the one calling me clueless.

And then YOU were telling me how good the diesels engines were and how I hadnt driven one and was talking crap. And so how you were more knowlegable. To which I replied showing you were clueless. And I am still doing so. And I am STILL saying that deseasels are not flexible and need 7 gears to row them along properly. ALL diesels have an extremely limited RPM range. And I showed you the evidence. Theres a reason they fit a 7 speed boxes...

You may have a petrol one. Although I doubt it. But so what, its not related to what we were discussing. And so you are still wrong. Its just another distraction to divert the discussion. Stop digging. Tell me - whey didnt you answer my 2 questions since you are such an expert?
Burgerman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's