New to this

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

New to this

Postby Agilitymom4 » 03 May 2012, 19:54

Hello I have been living with Multiple Sclerosis for 14 years, and have used a Pride Victory scooter for most of this time, however I am looking for a fast power chair that I can continue to compete in Dog Agility with my dogs I have found some sites however, how do I find out which one will work for me? The scooter is ineffective for what I need and is very slow and cannot perform the functions I need any advise would be very much appreciated. :D
Agilitymom4

Re: New to this

Postby Burgerman » 03 May 2012, 20:17

Define fast.

There are no mainstream powerchairs that are faster than 8.5 mph. (some pride/invacare/sunrise etc) And these tend to lack torque, and eat batteries faster.

There are a couple. A bounder (11.4 mph option is very heavy and dated), lacks torque and range, and the somewhat heavy/wide 15mph chair by Brad Soden the speedster. http://tankchair.net/store/speedster-product of which I have little knowledge. But it uses a similar electronics setup to most slow powerchairs and the same heavy lead batteries so. So likely lacks torque at that speed/gearing too.

And possibly the segway/various different wheelchair adapted ones do about 12 to 14 mph.

The bounder is heavy. The others are some 28 inches wide.

Then theres my lithium powered 15 mph chair that is light and narrow, and has tons of torque and range. But you cant buy that since its a one off built for me, by me... here: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM-MK3- ... rchair.htm

As far as I know these are the only faster than 8mph options.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Agilitymom4 » 08 May 2012, 17:57

I suppose I should have been more detailed, I am looking for a chair that can handle tight turns and does at least 5 mph on grass or dirt. I play agility with my dogs and would like to continue only with the help of a power chair I have seen others that have been very successful in the sport. I just am not ready to give up and stay home!
Thanks for any input, Geeze I would build one myself if I had the blueprints, lol....
Agilitymom4

Postby Burgerman » 08 May 2012, 18:08

Most "full size" as in motors/batteries/controller powerchairs would do dry grass, go 6 or 8 mph. Wet grass, or anything other than reasonable flat grass needs something like mine, that you cant buy, or maybe an X5 or V6 (same thing... but both are a little bigger / longer / wider than average) from frontier.

Call up a few suppliers and get one to test. Be sure to test on some soft wet grass etc. Many mid drives get stuck here, and rear drives with bigger casters are usually better.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself!