inflatable tyres v solid

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

inflatable tyres v solid

Postby arkie 59 » 02 Jul 2012, 15:06

Hi there
Just wondering if you can advise me in the right direction at the moment l have solid rubber tyres on my salsa'm' power chair and they are lasting me an average of six months l am considering inflatable tyres for my chair as l think these will give me a more comfortable ride but l am also wondering if they will last me longer
arkie 59

Re: inflatable tyres v solid

Postby Phil Esgate » 02 Jul 2012, 15:55

I always use pneumatic tyres as they are far more comfortable (by quite a lot) and I can adjust the pressure for different surfaces.... ie when I go on the beach and on pebbles I have the pressures really low. ;)
Phil Esgate

Postby Burgerman » 02 Jul 2012, 16:39

They should last a little longer, but the grey tyres wear faster than the black ones. And the heavier duty scooter type tyres last longer still. But these are usually a size bigger 350 wide rather than 300.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby LROBBINS » 02 Jul 2012, 19:23

Just as with batteries, tires come in all sorts of qualities. If you can find the same size in a black tire from a brand like Kenda or Carlisle you are likely to get longer service. Do look through the entire catalog though. You may find multiple styles of the same size with different kinds of treads or with different ply ratings. If you buy them from a tire seller rather than a DME dealer, they will cost a good bit less too. Ciao, Lenny
LROBBINS

Postby arkie 59 » 03 Jul 2012, 10:08

Hi folks
Many thanks for the feed back that you have given me me so far l have just finished a long winded chat with my wheelchair supplier an he has basically told me that he refuses to fit inflatable tyres due to the area l live in
he didnt like me telling him that he is both pompus and a stuck up twit and as far as l remember the customer usually right he still refused to fit inflatable tyres and said that l would have to have solid tyres
arkie 59

Postby arkie 59 » 03 Jul 2012, 10:08

arkie 59 wrote:Hi folks
Many thanks for the feed back that you have given me me so far l have just finished a long winded chat with my wheelchair supplier an he has basically told me that he refuses to fit inflatable tyres due to the area l live in
he didnt like me telling him that he is both pompus and a stuck up twit and as far as l remember the customer usually right he still refused to fit inflatable tyres and said that l would have to have solid tyres

:D
arkie 59

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jul 2012, 10:49

Thats not his choice.

Tell him to fit tubeless ones (around 20x less likely to deflate, tubes stretch around holes...) and use kevlar puncture resistant ones too. Then use a lot of off road puncture seal as well.

I use these. You can drill holes in them, they dont deflate... You can undo the valve core and they still dont deflate unless you poke some wire in...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby dgt » 04 Jul 2012, 15:53

I wouldn't use the clown; go elsewhere.

Dave
dgt

Return to Anything