What's the best all terrain wheelchair in the UK with price?

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

What's the best all terrain wheelchair in the UK with price?

Postby Jamest » 04 Jul 2014, 11:27

I am just curious to know which is the best all terrain wheelchair in the UK.
So far I have found:

- Observer 4x4 with 2 options http://www.a4wproducts.com/products/34- ... powerchair
*Auto-levelling, and option of lithium battery, £6490-£9400

- Predator 4x4 with 4 options www.a4wproducts.com/products/49-radical-mobility
*2 wheel drive, 4 weel drive, Stand up, seat riser, tilt, recline, option of lithium battery, £2650-£9000

- Fieldmaster with 2 options http://www.fieldmasterwheelchairs.co.uk/
*2 wheel drive, 4 wheel drive, seat riser, tilt, £7500-£11000

- Mybility http://www.mybility.co.uk/wheelchair/
*seat riser, tilt, standing, £9750-£25000

-All terrain wheelchairs http://www.allterrainwheelchairs.co.uk/
*seat riser, tilt, around £11000-£13000 if I remember right

I have tried all of these chairs apart from the predator, the best one I found in terms of power was the Observer 4x4, the auto levelling was very impressive, but the seat was a bit too high for my liking. In terms of power, I haven't seen any chair that was as powerful as that one, but it is not good indoor as it has skid steer.
The Mybility chair was very difficult to drive and I thought the wheels were too narrow to get any grip on rough ground, however I did like the standing capability.
fieldmaster and all terrain where ok, but just not powerful enough for me. Look forward to hearing some replies and has anybody tried or own the predator yet?
Jamest

Re: What's the best all terrain wheelchair in the UK with pr

Postby Jamest » 04 Jul 2014, 11:37

And why is it £25000 to buy a mybility standing and only £7900 for the Predator?
Jamest

Postby Burgerman » 04 Jul 2014, 14:20

The observer has "power" in fact torque, purely because it has low gearing making it far too slow.

All the rest are faster because they have taller gearing and less power (less torque). So don't work well...

All have limited range, and all are limited by low power 24v, limited low Amp mobility controllers that overheat and fold back even more if pushed.

As such all these off road chairs, are pretty rubbish really, and any skid steer oes are worse still by a massive margin.

The only solution is either a huge lithium battery (not with a BMS!) and at a HIGHER voltage. This allows the short gearing you like on the observer buggy, as it gives much better torque, range, etc, as well as a sensible usable speed. But this rules out mobility 24v controllers that they all use.

So you either wait till they get it, or build your own. Because as it stands they are all hopeless. You are better modifying a electric start IC powered quad bike at 4 to 10x less cost and better capability and less weight. Skid steer, off road, doesn't work well with batteries.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 04 Jul 2014, 14:24

And why is it £25000 to buy a mybility standing and only £7900 for the Predator?

Because some people are gullible enough to pay it.

I sell BM3 chairs. £100k. MUCH better than anything you can buy. 12 months construction time.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Jamest » 07 Jul 2014, 15:21

Why does it take so long to build?
Jamest

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jul 2014, 17:29

Because I don't sell anything.

I was explaining why this:

was true. I would build ONE... They are not interested in selling them unless its really worth the trouble.

And to build a chair to the standards that mine are, where much of it is hand fabricated, and components sourced all over the world, built in my spare time simply takes that long. My chairs are built by me in my bedroom!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Powerchair Reviews