Hello from Argentina

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

Hello from Argentina

Postby ejoly » 11 Feb 2016, 19:08

Just to introduce myself. I'm from and living in Argentina, specifically in Buenos Aires. Have visited this website many times over the years looking forward to the day I might need to shift from a manual to a power wheelchair. And that time has come. Busted shoulders after 38 years plowing up hills, in the outdoors, monkey-style passing from wheelchair to car, bed, etc. So now I need advice on this first time shift into a power wheelchair. Several weeks ago I fitted my Panthera (extremely light Swedish manual chair) with Alber's E-Fix system. Worked nicely indoors, nearly killed myself outdoors. Too unstable. So returned the system to the dealer. Have surfed the web and tend to go for a rear-wheel drive rather than a mid-wheel drive, given the wrecked sidewalks, and rapidly changing up and down slopes when attempting to cross a street (usually do it on wheelies with my manual one). A bit concerned about the indoors, although I've widened all the doors at home.
Here the dealer has Quickie Jives and Permobils. Not much more to choose from. And I'm not an engineer, so I don't feel capable of making my own, like what this site's administrator has done (Burgerman is it?). From what I've read and seen, would love to have one of those, but too bad they're not for sale (or am I mistaken?).
So, what should I go for? By the way, I'm pretty tall, about 6feet 2inches (190cm) and weigh about 198lbs (90kgs).
Thanks!
ejoly

Re: Hello from Argentina

Postby Burgerman » 11 Feb 2016, 20:13

Anything with large casters, (3.00 x 4 tyres 10 inch diameter) if you want to go outdoors. Smaller doesent work as well as the world is not flat.
Anything with 4 pole motors, and 10kph or faster. Because it soon feels slow...
Anything with suspension, or bigger wheels and tyres that help ease the bumps.
Anything that has a controller that YOU can get hold of a programmer for. Because without this you WILL hit every door frame and wall and it will never be controllable.
Anything with group 24 batteries.
Anything with 90A or above controller.
And preferably with the seat adjustable so that you can move it back a little as every rear drive powerchair is way too nose heavy. Even if that requires a drill.

Give this list to your dealer and be sure they dont talk you out of any of it!

You should also look here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5624
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ejoly » 11 Feb 2016, 22:12

Hello Burgerman: Thanks for your prompt and clear reply. Will print it out and take with me to the dealer. Also, your advice on specific chairs in the link is extremely useful. By the way, is there any seat lift system you would recommend for/against?
ejoly

Postby Burgerman » 11 Feb 2016, 22:35

I dont like them on my chairs, they add weight and are so damned slow that I lose interest and give up using it. So it just wastes battery power for nothing carting the extra metal about. If they worked in 2 to 3 seconds then I would change my mind. But they are all much the same. Be sure that adding one does not mean a smaller battery. In some cases this is the case.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself!