2006 Chrysler Grand Voyager for sale, £14,250 ono

No Commercial sellers please, unless of particular interest and with permission!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

2006 Chrysler Grand Voyager for sale, £14,250 ono

Postby phatboyroy » 15 Sep 2014, 15:39

CHRYSLER GRAND VOYAGER WHEELCHAIR Accessible SIDE RAMP. (METALLIC BLACK)

UP-FRONT PASSENGER OR DRIVE FROM WHEELCHAIR, (with the addition of your controls)
Converted by STEERING DEVELOPMENTS.

July 2006 CRD 2.8ltr DIESEL LX 4 SPEED AUTO; 80,000 MILES.
ON A PRIVATE PLATE AT THE MOMENT WHICH IS NOT PART OF THE SALE.
YOUR REG WILL REVERT TO THE ORIGINAL **06 ***
It was originally ordered for Motability as one of a pair of their demonstration fleet. So it was either driven or supervised by their professional driving assessors. In short if you were a rubbish driver you didn’t get to drive these vehicles.
I’ve had it the last 4 years.

FULL SERVICE, MOT Carried out June 2014.
TAX, (VED) classification as 'DISABLED'. Zero rated, (someone must qualify for mobility allowance to maintain this classification).

Never RACED OR RALLIED, I’m joking, you wouldn’t buy a car like this to throw it around a race track. It is a BIG SPACIOUS COMFORTABLE CRUISER. As you may know this vehicle was built when Mercedes Benz owned Chrysler so it has all the MB kudos; engine; gearbox; and running gear etc. I must say this is one of the smoothest gear changes I’ve ever experienced. Our new Chrysler, (reason for sale) a 6 speed is noticeable compared to this one, may be I’ve been spoilt!!

Reason for sale, simples; I’ve bought a newer one, I’ve had this 4 years, and decided I’d simply like a newer one. Consequently this is surplus and I want to sell it. If I hadn’t have found a newer one at the right price I’d be more than happy to keep it. Faultless, almost immaculate wagon.

We’ve fastidiously looked after this vehicle, (I’m not a rich man so we’ve had to ensure its reliability and longevity). Serviced regularly; properly maintained, & I use Millers diesel additives to ensure the engine and injectors are kept in the best possible condition.
I’ve had new radiator, (small leak); new front brake discs and pads this May. There was a small cut in a steering rack gaiter, consequently I had those replaced; tracking was also carried out.
This model had an inherent fault with the fuel heater & air-bag ‘clock spring’. I had these replaced.
In short when this is your only mode of transport you do not mess around. If something needed fixing, I had it sorted without delay.
All necessary invoices kept.
It's done 80,000 miles in 8 years so less than average then, and as you may know diesels prefer to be run rather than sat idle, in short aged but low mileage diesels are perhaps not the best way to go. As I say I use Millers so the mileage is not excesive anyway.

ALL ELECTRONIC SIDE DOOR RAMP
Note:- fitted with LEFT SIDE ramp, not cheaper 10 a penny REAR RAMP, which is so impractical as it takes out rear seat & luggage space. If you have a wheelchair user loaded up and want to get that person out, (say you stop off at the services on your way to holiday) you have to unload the luggage first. How impractical is that? With a side ramp, it’s unclamp and straight out. You still have your luggage space in the boot, and that’s where your luggage stays. Also with rear ramps, if someone parks behind you on the street, you’re stumped. With the side ramp you’re out on the pavement. Which is why this is a very sought after vehicle, and you see very few on the market. Unfortunately the price I had to pay for this vehicle reflects this desirability.
Additionally, the ‘up-front passenger’ configuration allows for the wheelchair user and driver to have social interactions whilst sitting side by side as opposed to the driver constantly having to talk over their shoulder. Imagine your partner in the back seat all the time... ok you’re right… perhaps not a plus point to be side by side.

Only lightly modified, so you don't have to pay to have stuff removed to be able to use it yourself first. I've seen several cheaper vehicles but they need extensive work to get them to a 'level playing field' as it were.
LOWERING SUSPENSION, HOWEVER, I’VE DISCONNECTED IT AS I DON’T LIKE LOWERING SYSTEMS. IT’S EASY TO RECONNECT IF YOU WISH.
EXTRA LIGHT POWER STEERING CONVERSION,
PUSH BUTTON TO STOP & START, (key is only needed to be in the steering lock for immobiliser reasons).
PUSH BUTTON GEAR CHANGE, (P;R;N;D, Safety feature means you depress the brake before selecting a gear; it cycles to the selected gear, and away you go.
UNWIN STRIPS AND Q-STRAINT STRAPS WHEELCHAIR TIE-DOWN IN FRONT AND CENTRE POSITIONS.

Note also it’s RHD. You may see DODGE CARAVANS/VOYAGER’S, (they’re LHD) expect to pay 4k less for the equivalent RHD/LHD and 4k less for a rear ramp over a side ramp. Also, the ramp is generally on the right, (on a LHD) which means you’re exiting/entry in the road as opposed to on the pavement. So good luck with that then!!

ALSO, this is a GRAND Voyager, not the tiny VOYAGER which as far as Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles, (WAV’s) are concerned is only suitable for carrying small children when in wheelchairs. I’m 5 foot 12 inches and use a Spectra Plus and there’s plenty of room as you’ll see in the video below.

Entry and exit in under a minute see me do it at:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gXdt_bt9yQ

A very versatile vehicle with Front wheelchair or Mid wheelchair passengers plus up to 5 others (inc driver). Or up to 3 wheelchairs users and 4 others (inc driver –weight and safety restrictions may apply).

There are 5 of the original seats; (passenger seat not shown in photos), both centre seats have been removed during conversion; drivers & passengers ‘simply’ clip/unclip and wheel in/out so that it can be used as a full 5 seater.
As mentioned, the passenger seat and the driver’s seat unclips and wheels out so you may sit as upfront passenger or drive from your wheelchair if you have your appropriate controls fitted.

Easily 40+ MPG on Motorway. We came from Wokingham, (where we purchased the new one from), via Reading, (loads of roundabouts), called off at the services; stopped in Cardiff; drove the 13 mile ‘B’ roads to home; finally a 5 mile drive next day. We weren’t trying to break any economy records, and still got over 38mpg, (see photo). Maybe it was the Millers Diesel additives?
28+ MPG Urban/Normal, (Welsh lanes).
Which is pretty good considering the vehicle - a friend has a 3.3 petrol and only gets 28-30 motorway and lucky to get 20 urban/normal; but when in town he’s happy to get 17mpg. I’d be slashing my wrists at that figure.

2 KEY FOBS
INTERNAL BUTTONS, on overhead panel and 'B' pillars (and on key fobs) FOR ENTRY/EXIT FOR BOTH REAR DOORS - RAMP DEPLOYS AUTOMATICALLY
CRUISE CONTROL & COMPUTER
OVERHEAD DISPLAY:- Metric/Normal er I mean UK. Trip; Average Economy; Compass; Miles Remaining in Fuel Tank; Journey Hour & Minute Counter; Outside Temp.
FULLY ADJUSTABLE FRONT DRIVER SEAT, (electronic). INCLUDING LUMBAR SUPPORT.
DUAL ZONE AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL with AIR CON & AUXILIARY HEATER (hot in seconds) WITH SEPARATE PASSENGER & DRIVER ZONES.
ELECTRONIC HANDBRAKE
REAR SEAT PULL DOWN FOOT REST
CONVENIENT SPACE UNDER REAR SEATS FOR STORAGE OF BITS AND BOBS.
AUXILIARY 12V POWER SOCKETS IN CABIN
ELECTRONIC FRONT WINDOWS & REAR QTR WINDOWS
HEATED; ADJUSTABLE AND FOLDING MIRRORS, ALL ELETRONIC.
CD; RADIO; Six Speakers. Steering-wheel Controls.
FRONT & REAR FOGS
REAR PARKING AIDS; Lights and Beeps.
AIR BAGS, (all round inc rear passengers).
HEAD RESTRAINTS ON ALL 5 SEATS.
3 FULL SEAT BELTS IN REAR, (not just lap straps).
ROOF RAILS & BARS for a roof box, (not just the rails, BARS as well)
DARK SECURITY GLASS ON ALL BUT FRONTS, (as per in-keeping with the law).
TYRES - Infinity INF200’s, (Winter orientated), Fronts 8.5mm Rears 5.5mm
UNUSED (space saver) SPARE WHEEL
UNDERFLOOR STORAGE IN BOOT.
GALVANISED BODYWORK, HENCE NO RUST

KEPT CLEAN by fastidious woman, (she’s married to a duster). It REALLY is in good condition, and well looked after.
Hence the addition of the reflective tape on the quarters. The reason why it doesn’t show up in all photo’s is because the base colour is Black, and only shines White when a light is shined on it.
Some Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles you see are... well sheds basically. This one isn't.

SMOKE; PET, and CHILD FREE HOME,
OUR NEW BUS WAS BOGGING. My wife has taken 2 weeks cleaning the new bus,
(I needed to give her a mention). The vendor had 2 dogs; 3 cats; 5 chickens and 3 children. I would venture to say all & every one of the aformentioned species has ‘USED’ it at some point or another. If you get my drift!!
The one we have for sale, most certainly has ‘NOT’ been subjected to those experiences.

NOW THE BAD BITS:-
The paintwork, I’m pleased to say there’s not that many stone chips etc. Then again I’m anal, you’ll understand with this one statement. If I say to you, “I don’t take cars through carwashes”, and you ask “why not?” then the paintwork won’t affect your perception of the car.
There is an exhaust baffle rattle as you pass through 2000 rpm under load; it’s fleeting but you hear it ‘sing’.

I DON’T WISH TO BE RUDE, BUT NO ‘TYRE KICKERS’ PLEASE. I’m sorry, but when I sold my previous Grand Voyager, (4 years ago), I had people contact me and say ‘I’ve seen a same year Grand Voyager on Autotrader for 4-5 grand etc etc, why is yours more expensive?’. Obviously they were referring to a standard Grand Voyager which wasn’t converted. Also, I had people just coming and spending 5 hours to view the concept. There are shows and dealers (I'm just a simple private individual), who get paid for showing you the workings etc. Please use them, or have a look at my YouTube video to give you an idea. I'm a sociable person, but...

For sale elsewhere so I’m sorry, but I must reserve the right to end this auction at any time prior to money changing hands.
(Nr Barry, S Wales).
I can`t think what else to put, but if you think of a question, just ask.

IF YOU WANT ANY MORE PHOTO'S, (only allowed 3 here) JUST SEND ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS.
Attachments
p Ramp crop SAM_1280.jpg
p Ramp crop SAM_1280.jpg (157.27 KiB) Viewed 10978 times
p looking back supp dwn SAM_1269.jpg
p looking back supp dwn SAM_1269.jpg (115.72 KiB) Viewed 10976 times
p looking fwd SAM_1273.jpg
p looking fwd SAM_1273.jpg (142.96 KiB) Viewed 10976 times
phatboyroy

Re: 2006 Chrysler Grand Voyager for sale, £14,250 ono

Postby phatboyroy » 16 Sep 2014, 17:30

[color=#FF0000]FOR A QUICK SALE, & TO ASSUAGE ANY FEARS YOU MAY HAVE OVER THE RELIABILITY OF THIS VEHICLE,

I WILL INCLUDE A 12 MONTHS COMPREHENSIVE WARRANTY FROM DATE OF PURCHASE. PROVIDED BY WARRANTY DIRECT,

(arguably the best provider in UK - see Honest John, Telegraph Motoring).
[/color]
phatboyroy

Postby phatboyroy » 31 Dec 2014, 18:53

REDUCED TO £13,750

make me an offer, you never know.
phatboyroy

Postby Burgerman » 01 Jan 2015, 00:02

£1k?

I bet I do!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Shellpot » 18 May 2015, 16:01

Is this sold now ?
Shellpot

Postby phatboyroy » 02 Jun 2015, 09:19

hi,
I did post a reply, but it appears not to have registerd. hey ho. i did post to burgerman as well. and i accepted his 1k offer... provided he put another 12.5k with it.. he's a chancer! ;) a man after my own heart.
anyway, yep still for sale, it's on sorn now in my garage, i run it up to temp once a week, and run it up and down the drive to prevent flat spotting the tyres, all the usuall stuff.

as an aside, what's going to happen in 5 yeras time now that Chrysler have pulled out of the UK market? if anybody is on motability???
these GV being sold now will be the last. then we'll all have to buy Left Hooker imports... like...like Burgermans!! the shame; oh the shame. ;)

be well all.

roy
phatboyroy

Postby Burgerman » 02 Jun 2015, 10:50

They are better, and at HALF the outright price.

Who cares about left hand drive? Once you drive 2 miles its totally forgotten. It never even occurs to me now.

Some rough LONG TERM maths.
Motobility:
£30k down. +5 years at £200 per month.
Total for a 5 year LEASE before you start again? £42k and its not even yours...
Or for 10 years use that's 84k !!! For 15 years, that's a whopping 126K

My van, 30k brand new all in, delivered, special imported vehicle test, shipping, registration etc, inc tie down, lighting changes etc to comply with UK law. Ready to go.
Its now almost 9 years old. Absolutely as new, unmarked inside and out because I own it, so care!
If I choose to keep it a further 6 years, and I will since it still looks and smells new, that's: £126k

Import US van? Works out at £2k per year. AND I have a used van to sell or use as a deposit eventually...
Motability option is 8.4k per year. And you still own nothing! Who can afford that?

Motability -- That's the same as 4.2 times the cost!!! Crazy way to run your life.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby phatboyroy » 02 Jun 2015, 21:54

In total agreement with your maths. which is why I've never used motability.
even on a smaller scale it makes no sense. unless you see a motability car as a 'free' car.

anybody considering motability should read Burgermans post.
phatboyroy

Postby Irving » 04 Jun 2015, 11:31

Sadly there's no advocate for the alternative unless you take it on yourself, and many can't or don't feel they can. My experience talking to vehicle suppliers/adaptation companies is that they don't/won't advise otherwise.

I note, with some sadness, that Melanie Reid (Times columnist, writes the Spinal Column in Saturday mag) recently wrote about, and sung praises of, taking delivery of an adapted self-drive (not from wheelchair) Ford Galaxy through Motability spending £9k on the seat herself...
Irving

Postby Burgerman » 04 Jun 2015, 18:20

Sadly there's no advocate for the alternative unless you take it on yourself, and many can't or don't feel they can. My experience talking to vehicle suppliers/adaptation companies is that they don't/won't advise otherwise.

Not sure I understand this?

Do you mean nobody to do it all for you (in the UK)?

Just contact an American vehicle importer if you don't feel that you can organise it. But that costs. Theres plenty with experience on the web. Take a look here for 1 company:
http://www.rollxvans.com/inventory/?search=used Used
http://www.rollxvans.com/inventory/?search=new New
http://www.rollxvans.com/inventory/?sea ... conversion New conversion, on good used vans.

UK one is £54.5K or $87k for the basic version with low trim. Or £60k+ ($110k!) for one with the same trim level as the US prices. http://www.steeringdevelopments.co.uk/v ... d-voyager/

Remember that on new vans, you don't need pay the US purchase tax, so the price can be cheaper than shown, and you may negotiate a deal for $$$ too. There may also be cash back schemes from the manufacturers in force, and that there's 1 GBP = 1.54 USD (much worse than when I bought - but still cheap).

And that its about £800 to ship, insure, get a UK test/registration and lights mod (fog) etc. You don't pay any VAT, or car import tax as a personal import. You just collect it from Liverpool docks. (trade plates or trailer).

That's not what I ended up doing but that was what I initially organised.

It worked out at exactly half the cost of a UK converted right drive one. Only mine had built in sat nav, bigger motor, etc.

And was mine, not leased, or in need of replacement every 5 years...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby phatboyroy » 05 Jun 2015, 11:14

There's an argument for what Burgerman says, but like everything else, it's personal choice.

If you feel you can organise and subsequently drive a US LHD import; I'd say it makes sound financial sense. However, if that's daunting & intiminates, then you're stuck with 'rip-off' Brittain.

Perhaps Burgerman could write a 'how to buy & import...'. we may all very well need to in a few years.

For now, I would susspect that with Chrysler leaving the UK; there may well be deals to be had from dealers with stock on their books wanting to offload.

Regards
Roy

PS Burgerman, would you know, are the sat nav still the 5 digit ones or now fully 7 digit UK spec?
phatboyroy

Postby Burgerman » 05 Jun 2015, 14:49

5 digit?

No idea. Its the RB2 one I think. Has an American woman that gets more and more stressed out and shrill the more you ignore her. "at the circle, take the 3rd exit. Usually just after you pass it...

She means Roundabout but the Americans didn't learn English correctly... :?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 05 Jun 2015, 15:01

Many ways.
https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-i ... k/overview
Sounds daunting, its really not. But you need to organise the company to deliver the vehicle to the shipping port in the US. Some will organise it for you.

Or leave it all to a company such as http://www.shipoverseas.com/us/ship-car ... to-uk.html as they will organise it all for you. Or almost all. There are lots of such importers. Get quotes... Its a lot cheaper to DIY though...

Personally I had organised all that paperwork to do it myself (works out about 25k 8 years back) then went to see Mr Alfred Bekker. (Bekker mobility). Sadly he is now deceased.

He imports lots of Rollx vans from Canada and already has everything organised. Offered to get me one in black, delivery mileage, with tie down and hand controls already fitted to suit my own chair in his workshop for a little bit more. (30K delivered and ready to drive with all paperwork modified lights, and hand controls, tie down etc). So I let him do it.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby phatboyroy » 12 Jun 2015, 16:41

Burgerman wrote:any ways.
https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-i ... k/overview
Sounds daunting, its really not. But you need to organise the company to deliver the vehicle to the shipping port in the US. Some will organise it for you.

Or leave it all to a company such as http://www.shipoverseas.com/us/ship-car ... to-uk.html as they will organise it all for you. Or almost all. There are lots of such importers. Get quotes... Its a lot cheaper to DIY though...

Could be the way to go; or you could PLEASE, buy mine. :)
phatboyroy

Postby phatboyroy » 22 Jul 2015, 11:23

£13,000 secures this vehicle.

This would be a perfect mode of transport for someone.
phatboyroy

Postby phatboyroy » 01 Sep 2015, 11:32

SOLD

you missed out. sold to a nice guy in Folkestone.
I did have a tyre kicker, whom shall be known as 'the nutty professor'. he's probably good at what he does but blimey!!

After messing me around, he pointed out a WHICH report that categorises GV as only 2star in the NCAP tests.
However, rather than just accepting it on merit, it has prompted my curiosity.
I investigated further.
Encap changed the testing procedure in 2009 so pre 2009, (this beastie) are ‘different’ to later models.

On looking on the EuroEncap site, I was surprised at the spectrum of vehicles awarded 2 stars, (I’ll come to the 1 stars later).
Adult occupancy ratings:-
It ranges from BMW’s through Cheverolet; Citroen’s; Fiat’s; Rover’s, SAAB’s and VW, Volvo's. Why, even the mighty Ford Escort, (best selling car) is only a 2 star.

The most alarming for me though is the Mercedes C-Class. It’s only a 2 star, I’m shocked, horrified there. A Mercedes C-Class!!! Of all the cars in the world; I’d expect a C-Class to be better than a 2 star.

You need to look at the 1 stars,
Pedestrian:- some Audi’s are not even rated. Honda’s & VW’s perform poorly with 1 star. As do some BMW’s.

It’s the first time I’ve actually looked at the Ncap site, and whilst I thought it’s a good thing; after looking at the broad range of manufacturers and models I’m beginning to doubt the validity now.
Especially when you read their caveat pertaining to pre-2009 vehicles, Viz:-

ABOUT PRE-2009 RATING
This vehicle [list] was published before Euro NCAP’s current overall star rating scheme, launched in 2009, and is included here for archival only. The results published prior to 2009 can’t be compared to results released under the overall rating scheme.

I suppose the salient point is the final sentence.
I’m guessing before 2009, we didn’t know any better.

Who would have expected Volvo’s to get a 2 star pre-2009? Good solid cars, yet only 2 stars.

However, I did note that the Voyager gets a 4 star for child occupancy.

I’m going to look into this further, to see what the tests actually consist of, cognisant of the Bureaucratic European’s.
I mean if all those makes appear to fall short then 90% of motorists are driving dodgy vehicles; or are we really?

In my rallying days, I used to compete in Mini’s; a Cortina; Hillman Avenger, (Tiger spec), I even co-drove for a friend in his Reliant Rebel. Just in case you’re not familiar, it’s the same as the 3-wheeler, but with a fourth wheel, IE one at each corner. Then I thought, what about the classics on the road today, I used to have an MG. I’ve always hankered after a Triumph TR6, and drool when I see one. In fact there’s a few nice examples on ebay, (a lovely PI overdrive Pimento Red). Beautiful… anyway I’m digressing. I guess what I’m saying is that, if we strictly observed all the ‘safety rules’ we should stay home and wrap in cotton wool… or should we apply a little common sense & go out and enjoy life? In fact No, don’t stay at home; more accidents occur at home, so I have to go out.
To extrapolate further, here’s a quiz for you; there is a sport that features consistently in the top 3 of the annual dangerous sports list, (not the obvious ones - Motor sport; hang-gliing etc) where more deaths and injury occur.

Name that sport. You’ve got 3 guesses.
phatboyroy

Postby Burgerman » 01 Sep 2015, 15:20

mountaineering, horse riding, skiing.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Irving » 10 Sep 2015, 18:54

phatboyroy wrote:SOLD
... In my rallying days, I used to compete in Mini’s; a Cortina; Hillman Avenger, (Tiger spec), I even co-drove for a friend in his Reliant Rebel. Just in case you’re not familiar, it’s the same as the 3-wheeler, but with a fourth wheel, IE one at each corner. Then I thought, what about the classics on the road today, I used to have an MG. I’ve always hankered after a Triumph TR6, and drool when I see one....

My first car was a Triumph TR4A IRS c1965 with a Surrey top and factory wire wheels with knock-on hubs, one of the last few made. 2L 4pot twin Stromburg carbs, but I did a chassis up restoration then blueprinted and twin Webers fitted. Was still a bit of a tractor though. I always wanted a TR5 with the 2.5L straight 6 injection engine that was later used in the TR6 but they were like hens teeth. Tracked the TR4 a few times and did some rallying. Used to rally a 1962 Ford Anglia 123E in classic car rallies in the late 1980s until I banana'd it by doing an end-over-end after hitting a ditch (strangely you can't take a sharp bend when all 4 wheels are off the ground after hitting a hump-back bridge a little too fast!); thank goodness for a decent roll cage, I walked away from that one! I then moved on to Minis with a variety of 850cc ones and lastly a Clubman 1275 reworked to a fully blueprinted 1540cc with Webers. Sadly the subframe to bodyshell mountings weren't up to the job and I was forever replacing the A panels which would tear at the rear seam by the door. By that time wife kids and company cars came along so that was it... till I got my Audi TT in 2002 but that's another story :)
Irving

Postby phatboyroy » 01 Sep 2016, 16:01

Burgerman wrote:mountaineering, horse riding, skiing.

nope,

Fishing...

aye daft as it seems.
before you doubt, think carbon rods and overhead cables; slippy banks, try getting out with a waderfull of water; breakers over slippy rocks; cut off by tides; sandbanks moving and rip tides' quicksands; impailing youself on a gaff; falling off a boat in all that kit; tangled in weeds, etc etc.
phatboyroy

Postby Burgerman » 02 Sep 2016, 01:51

How does one of those overhead lines feel?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Irving » 04 Sep 2016, 19:18

The 11000v ones? I'm told they don't feel of anything.. your nervous system is fried so fast you don't have time to feel... as I understand it you end up with neuropathic nerve pain as the brain tries to make sense of the silence from the fried nerves...
C5/6 A (complete)
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
Irving

Postby Burgerman » 04 Sep 2016, 20:36

Once threw a branch at one while walking the dog. From a safe distance. Took about 20 goes or so, kept hitting one wire. Quite hard to do as they are higher than you think. I was about 12. It was 11kv I think. Three phases on a pole above a hedge. That was quite exiting. Nothing much happened for about 10 secs. Just started steaming and glowing a bit, laid on top. Then it went really really loud and bright. And flashed, buzzed, arced, banged for about 60 secs. All the wires shook. Then it fell off. Don't suggest you touch one because that looked pretty violent... It certainly made me more aware of them. Kind of had a fascination with power lines since then.

I was wondering how a carbon fishing rod feels :D
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 04 Sep 2016, 20:55

One reason I dont mind spending on decent multi meters, is that I used to use cheapies. And had several 3 phase pottery kilns, with 440V elements etc. These were truck sized, and I made the mistake of assuming that cheap Chinese meters rated for 600V safety, actually were. I had one explode and arc in my hand just on 440V AC. So do not believe it! Nobody hurt but with 3x 250A fuses on the large kiln there wasn't much trouble smoking it in a second.

My flukes are tested and safe at 600 and 1000V and I trust them. I wouldn't even use a cheap Chinese one on the 240V mains we get in a house.

Having had this happen I know its very real. Not a way to sell meters. Transients or spikes happen! It was a busy industrial estate. Interesting reading here: https://www.grainger.com/content/safety ... multimeter
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 04 Sep 2016, 21:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEoazQ1zuUM well worth watching. Cheap meters tested and blown up! By fluke.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Mark » 08 Sep 2016, 13:51

Sincere thanks BM for writing this and posting the video link. I don't mind paying for good quality and reliability, but I still have several cheap Chinese meters..... After seeing this I won't ever put them near a mains supply. I have 440v 3-phase here also.
Would it be possible to extract the last few posts and put them under a more descriptive header? Just to get wider reading?
Mark

Postby Burgerman » 08 Sep 2016, 14:32

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby DaveC56 » 06 Dec 2016, 19:02

If anyone missed that one I have a 2007 VMI conversion LHD 937 miles £13,495 ono see post on here for detail, dont be put off driving LHD its not an issue.
DaveC56

Return to Buy/Sell Mobility Equipment