WTB EZ lock bolt

No Commercial sellers please, unless of particular interest and with permission!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

WTB EZ lock bolt

Postby kidshark71 » 01 Apr 2021, 11:48

Apparently somehow my EZ Lock bolt fell out of my wheelchair somewhere and I have no clue where at work I lost it!

Anyone know where I can get a new one or the size of them even? My bracket is still on my chair, but I may also need the nut that holds it in as well...I am unsure as it has been a LONG while since I have messed with it at all.

Any help is MUCH appreciated!

KidShark
kidshark71

Re: WTB EZ lock bolt

Postby Burgerman » 01 Apr 2021, 12:50

Not sure about the US. But in the UK they are just M16 bolts. Same as tow bar bolts. And nuts.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Tensile-H ... B07DCFFGJC any length you want.

No doubt in the US you will use some weird ancient fractional imperial size/thread... And I dont know where you are.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby kidshark71 » 01 Apr 2021, 13:13

My apologies, US Florida :) I will call the DME later and hopefully he can give me a straight answer. Wish me luck.
kidshark71

Postby rustyjames » 01 Apr 2021, 13:36

I have one you can have for the cost of postage. There's really nothing special about it, I think it's just a 3/4" course thread and at least 2" long bolt that you can buy at an industrial supply. Make sure it's the correct grade as Mr. B referred to, although his post showed metric specs I'm pretty certain here it's standard threads.
rustyjames

Postby LROBBINS » 01 Apr 2021, 16:42

Equivalent U.S. grade for metric 8.8 is grade 5 - it's medium strength not high strength as stated in that Amazon listing. Higher tensile bolts, for example metric 10.9 (= U.S. grade 8) and 12.9 (stronger than the strongest common U.S. grade) are stronger, but more likely to fracture than bend or stretch. 16mm or 3/4" 8.8 (U.S. 5) should be plenty strong for a wheelchair tie down. Tensile strength about 70 kN (7700 kg, 17100 lb) which will handle a 250 kg chair+rider at 31 g. The floor of your car, or the bottom plate of the chair, will probably fail before the bolt.
LROBBINS

Postby swalker » 01 Apr 2021, 18:13

I have two wheelchairs with an EZ Lock bracket on the bottom. Each uses a 5/8" coarse thread bolt. I buy them in a variety of lengths so that I can use the shortest one that will still engage with the EZ Lock locking base in my van.

I buy mine from Ace Hardware. The ones I find there are threaded for their entire length. The true EZ Lock bolts are not threaded for the portion that would engage with the EZ Lock locking base in a van. This should theoretically reduce the wear on the EZ Lock base, but I have found that in 6 years the wear is not objectionable using bolts threaded for their full length.

I get grade 5 bolts.

These bolts are locked in place with a nut. Thread the nut on the bolt, grease the threads that will engage with the EZ Lock bracket (to prevent the bolt from seizing), screw the bolt into the EZ Lock bracket an appropriate amount (in my case, as far as it will go), and then finally tighten the nut up against the EZ Lock bracket. This will keep the bolt from rattling loose and falling out.

We often remove the bolt when I am going to traverse more adventurous terrain. An 8" long adjustable wrench works great for installing and removing the bolt.

Steve
Permobil F5 Corpus 3G
Permobil C500s VS
Permobil C500 Corpus 3G
Permobil C350 Corpus 3G
Magic Mobility X4 with 176 Ah LiFePO4
swalker

Postby rustyjames » 01 Apr 2021, 20:09

The bolt that I have is 5/8" course thread and 3" in length. The hex head is 15/16". The grade stamping is worn off but as suggested, grade 5 would be best.
rustyjames

Postby rustyjames » 02 Apr 2021, 22:19

kidshark71 wrote:Apparently somehow my EZ Lock bolt fell out of my wheelchair somewhere and I have no clue where at work I lost it!

Anyone know where I can get a new one or the size of them even? My bracket is still on my chair, but I may also need the nut that holds it in as well...I am unsure as it has been a LONG while since I have messed with it at all.

Any help is MUCH appreciated!

KidShark

I just found your PM in my junk mail. I sent you a response.
rustyjames

Postby Seajays » 11 Apr 2021, 18:44

Grade 8 is the best
Seajays

Return to Buy/Sell Mobility Equipment