Decent Powerchair needed!

No Commercial sellers please, unless of particular interest and with permission!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

Re: Decent Powerchair needed!

Postby NackerNed » 28 Sep 2021, 21:28

Now your just being too clever!

To be fair this chair I won on eBay for £20 as a non runner with Jay easy cushion and
NackerNed

Postby NackerNed » 28 Sep 2021, 21:44

Ipad posting willy nilly again so back to laptop.

To be fair this chair I won on eBay for £20 as a non runner with Jay easy cushion and new 8a charger. Cleaned the wiring up and new batteries and now works great. The programming has certainly been tuned up as joystick responds to instant touch which makes it that bit easier. Still vastly uncomfortable and bloody harsh ride. I'm lucky in the respect I live in a large bungalow otherwise this would wipe out door frames and anything else in it's path. I stripped the whole fold away mech from joystick which located it outboard which of course is crazy and the added weight was ridiculous. It's deathly slow but hauls my fat ass around untill I find a suitable replacement as my manual chair has finished my shoulders and wrists off! :thumbdown:
NackerNed

Postby Burgerman » 28 Sep 2021, 23:05

The programming has certainly been tuned up as joystick responds to instant touch

No. They ALL respond instantly. But then the RATE at which they respond increases over time. To stop this you need to turn the turn acceleration, and minimum turn acceleration to max. And then SLOW DOWN the TURN speed settings.

And thats not the real problem. That is called turn deceleration. (and minimum turn deceleration). That means that when you decide the chair should stop turning it BEGINS to stop turning imediately but it actually decelerates the turn. Over time. So it continues to turn after you told it not to do so.

And I can garantee 99% that your chair does both of those things.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby NackerNed » 29 Sep 2021, 10:00

Hmm, makes sense. I just know it’s a lot more usable than my previous Kymco chair
NackerNed

Postby Burgerman » 02 Oct 2021, 12:55

Once programmed correctly all chairs respond exactly the same.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby hank » 09 Oct 2021, 14:56

Quickie groove Brushless
BM2.5 clone
hank

Postby Burgerman » 09 Oct 2021, 16:12

42 use? Almost new, thats not as new as the one I got. And its got a few marks and scuffs. But its also cheaper. No power recline, and no centre footrest. Otherwise pretty good. I saw that this mornng was going to post a link but you beat me to it!

I have no room for another.
IF I bought that I would do the same. Offer them a little less, and see if they will add the power centre footrest.

But the main thing that would put me off would be 8mph motors. 6 is a better compromise, esp on this chair. Your mileage may vary!

Would be a beautiful reserve/backup chair! Requires the same mods I did (minor) to make someone a good chair. I tell everyone that these things keep turning up if you are patient! Will post a link on the forum at the top!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby NackerNed » 29 Oct 2021, 12:11

Still on the lookout for a decent chair if anybody see's any deals.
I thought the Meyra Optimus 2 RS was the one for me till I had a drive out in it :roll:
Even though the steering is powered on this chair and build quality was excellent, sadly the whole rear wheel steer just doesn't work for me at all. These things have great torque which I always need to haul my weight and will literally power through most terrain not to mention climb a good size kerb which is always handy. The one I viewed is a great deal as very much a mis-sold chair to the owner hence not had more than 1hrs use in my opinion. Anybody who may be interested let me know and I'll pass details on.
NackerNed

Postby Burgerman » 29 Oct 2021, 19:21

sadly the whole rear wheel steer just doesn't work for me at all.

:clap Ditto. And its worse still with casters! Rear steer offends my mechanical sensibilities, feels crap, and is to my mind plain daft.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby NackerNed » 29 Oct 2021, 19:42

It’s actually quite frightening John, I’ve had a few close calls in fact I almost through myself out of the chair coming down a steep hill today, the whole chair launched forward which would of been fatal if that big heavy beast landed on top of me :(
We live and learn and at least I know now to rule out anything mid or front wheel drive.
NackerNed

Postby steves1977uk » 30 Oct 2021, 16:53

The Optimus 2 RS sounds like a dangerous chair to own if you live in hilly places. :thumbdown:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby LROBBINS » 30 Oct 2021, 18:59

Permobil FWD in the pre-gyro days also had a very forward weight distribution and needed to have anti-tip wheels IN THE FRONT. They now have more weight on the rear casters, which makes the lateral instability worse, but that is "compensated" by the gyro. Sounds like that Optimus also has little weight on the rear steering wheels, so easily tips forward. Moving weight rearward would reduce that, but would, as it did on the Permobils, reduce lateral stability - less of a problem with the servo steering than with free casters, but will still be affected by this just like a fork lift. Steer too sharply and it will spin out (or ground loop for the pilots among us).
LROBBINS

Postby JonFromTexas » 05 Nov 2021, 17:45

The link I posted above is a really nice one but I'm in the US. :(
JonFromTexas

Postby NackerNed » 08 Nov 2021, 12:06

JonFromTexas wrote:The link I posted above is a really nice one but I'm in the US. :(

This is a nice chair at a good price, sadly would cost a fortune to ship to UK.

Thank you anyway.
NackerNed

Postby rickystyx » 08 Nov 2021, 13:35

steves1977uk wrote:The Optimus 2 RS sounds like a dangerous chair to own if you live in hilly places. :thumbdown:

Steve

It really isn't Steve - I take mine up and down hills with no problem at all but like any other chair if you have it so it stops too quickly then momentum takes over - I had more problem with my Ottobock doing that than the Meyra but I learned not to put too fast braking on both. The Meyra gets me places the ottoboock just can't go and is very safe - it did take me about a month to really get into the rear wheel drive but now I find it fine. When I get back on the ottobock it's like having to relearn because it turns so much faster czy
ottobock b400 150Ah lifepo4
Swiss-trac manual chair add on with 30Ah Lifepo4 (want more 15Ah headway cells )
Meyra Optimus (PRIME)2 150Ah lifepo4 :0)
rickystyx

Postby Burgerman » 08 Nov 2021, 19:43

So what happens than when you are driving it like you stole it (every day, indoors and out for me) and some child steps in front?

You MUST be able to stop with tyres locked up or almost so. In an instant. Because I know I can, so i never hit anything in 23 years. Or what happens if the R-Net detects a fault and does the emergency brake shut down thing? Legislated to be applied by law?

That makes it unusable to me and dangerous by law! And yes rear steer means you cant drive it like you stole it anyway... :argument Your mileage may vary.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rickystyx » 08 Nov 2021, 20:31

it stops just like any other chair - if you back joystick you may end up sitting in fromt of it, just like the ottobock the chair stops but you might not and as you slide forward because you aren't wearing a seatbelt (although they both come with one I just don't like wearing it) you move the centre of gravity above and beyond the front wheels and the back wheels may lift a little or certainly lose traction. That happens on both chairs rear wheel or front wheel drive. I've never actually come out of the chair doing this but have at times when testing full speed fast stops when setting things up had myself being propelled to the front of the chair and that little tip happening when going fast down hill. Of course once your weight leaves the chair it will put itself back down on its wheels again and it should stop.
From that testing I learned not to go flat out down steep hills and not to have stupidly sharp braking set up for normal use.
I'm sure you will have seen that happen - I remember you warning about having too fast a braking speed set up
Ricky
Swiss-trac manual chair add on with 30Ah Lifepo4 (want more 15Ah headway cells )
rickystyx

Postby steves1977uk » 09 Nov 2021, 19:54

There are times when you need to emergency brake even at slow speeds when people just walk across the front of you. :fencing The bigger the chair/scooter the harder it is to stop because of the extra weight and this is why I prefer a lighter chair when out in public simply because I can stop quicker if needed. I have Fast Brake Rate set to 80 which is fine for my daily chair.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 10 Nov 2021, 07:01

How long do you think it takes to stop this?

https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/control.mp4

Or this,
https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM3-co ... g-test.mp4

Uphill caster shake.
https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM3-co ... -shake.mp4

If someone or something steps out you have to stop!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rickystyx » 10 Nov 2021, 07:35

both of mine stop fine - the only time I ever had the issue was going down a very steep slope, about 40 degrees on a ramp and stopping fast when hitting the bottom. on a flat road or shallow slope both chairs stop as they should very rapidly but on the Meyra at 10mph I tend to continue without the chair but the chair doesn't tip on anything other than the steep ramp. The ottobock reacts in exactly the same way but since it is only 6mph I don't tend to slide forward as much on that.
I have no worries about the chairs stopping power - It only happened at silly speeds whilst I was testing it for how far I could push things - since I wanted to use this for off road tracks I wanted to know how it would react on steep hills which I wouldn't take flat out in any other situations other than tthis testing.
rickystyx

Postby hank » 15 Nov 2021, 18:22

Quickie groove Brushless
BM2.5 clone
hank

Postby rover220 » 15 Nov 2021, 19:23

Depends what you want from it as it is vr2 not rnet.
rover220

Postby Burgerman » 15 Nov 2021, 19:47

True. But at that price I would buy and swap the thing to r-net as I have 3 complete systems in a box. And then get a centre footrest, throw away the curb climber, so the seat can move back and presto excellent and cheap chair.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Buy/Sell Mobility Equipment