Power Wheelchair "Veteran", but "Noob" for features

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Power Wheelchair "Veteran", but "Noob" for features

Postby expresso » 26 Jul 2022, 16:22

the whole industry here is like that - even permobil - thats a RWD chair base - they turn the seat around and make it a FWD - add some anti tippers in the front and thats it

its stupid for them not to have one RWD chair given that they already have it -

the chair above actually looks not too bad if RWD - its a pride - so it sucks for other reasons - but at least that would be one option - they should do that with this chair and get rid of the rival which really sucks - its a hog dosnt feel right -

i tested a R4000 before the Rival - hated it - i had it for 3 weeks at that time - didnt like it at all -

the chair above - the looks isnt too bad - if RWD - and i dont even see it on there website - i am not sure how i found that picture -
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 26 Jul 2022, 19:06

I could buy that chair. Swap the seat around to fit on the proper way. Throw away the control system, and fit one of the R-Net systems I have here boxed up as spares. And fit a centre footplate.

That would make a decent rear drive chair. And IF there wasnt a choice then it wouldnt even concern me doing so. Or most front drives. It wouldnt take any longer than properly configuring and setting up any new chair that I would (and always do) anyway.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Moosh89 » 26 Jul 2022, 19:23

Thanks everyone - good thing the black tires themselves were cheap at $50 USD for the pair. They are Quantum/Jazzy tires, but I had no idea that even though they are technically the same size, that the bead width would differ so much. Back to searching for the correct size for my Invacare rims.

Can anyone tell me what the total specs are for the proper fitting 14x4 tires for Invacare are? I might have to special order them, or have pneumatic tires filled with foam.

While I was having both my seats worked on at SaskAbilities last week, they had a lineup of their new power wheelchairs they carry out in the hallway, waiting to be configured to users. They were all mid-wheel drive chairs made by "AMYLIOR". I dread the possibility of them issuing me anything but a RWD chair. Glad I bought that 2017 Invacare Torque 3. If they try to stick me in a mid-wheel drive, I'll just use my personal chair and store the mid-wheel as a backup.

My hydraulic tilt on my 2010 "SAIL"-issued Invacare Arrow started to make some unflattering noises so I had them check it and re-lubricate it as well. One of the techs commented "...these older chairs" lol, I gasped with offense... "Its not even that old!" :lol: :problem:
Moosh89

Postby Burgerman » 26 Jul 2022, 19:28

Who are "they"???

I decide what chairs I want. It nobody elses business.

When I buy a house, a car, a computer, a sofa or an ice-cream, I decide. What the hell makes a powerchair any different?
True, some may WANT to be told, or advised. But its your life, get whatever chair you want!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Moosh89 » 26 Jul 2022, 19:41

Burgerman wrote:Who are "they"???

When I buy a house, a car, a computer, a sofa or an ice-cream, I decide. What the hell makes a powerchair any different?
True, some may WANT to be told, or advised. But its your life, get whatever chair you want!

Yeah, I get that lol. SaskAbilities provides me with a basic powerchair to meet my needs (minimally) to use for free under the SAIL program (Saskatchewan Aide to Independent Living). All of my power wheelchairs have been provided by them, with the exception of my second power wheelchair (Invacare TIGER youth chair) and my newest chair, the 2017 Invacare Torque 3. They get very uppity about me wanting to keep or modify the chairs they provide to better suit my needs. I plan to fight to keep this 2010 Arrow going for as long as possible. They don't take into consideration any feedback from their clients and instead try to go with whatever they can get cheaply or service cheaply. I've heard nothing but nightmare stories about how mid-wheel drive chairs perform in the environments we live in here in Saskatchewan. If you want to get anywhere reliably, you need a RWD chair.

I may start looking into getting a BOUNDER 300 if I have to hand back this 2010 Arrow. I'd love to stick with Invacare but they too have changed so much, so I might as well try something similar but a bit more rugged for any outdoor adventures. I love the H-frame design of the Storm series chairs by Invacare (what I've grown up with) and the BOUNDER chairs.

I need to take into consideration the overall width of the chairs as well to be sure I can eventually board aircrafts and use camper trailers again.
Moosh89

Postby Swan T.W. » 26 Jul 2022, 19:46

expresso wrote:the whole industry here is like that - even permobil - thats a RWD chair base - they turn the seat around and make it a FWD - add some anti tippers in the front and thats it

its stupid for them not to have one RWD chair given that they already have it -

the chair above actually looks not too bad if RWD - its a pride - so it sucks for other reasons - but at least that would be one option - they should do that with this chair and get rid of the rival which really sucks - its a hog dosnt feel right -

i tested a R4000 before the Rival - hated it - i had it for 3 weeks at that time - didnt like it at all -

the chair above - the looks isnt too bad - if RWD - and i dont even see it on there website - i am not sure how i found that picture -

It looks like a Quantum 4 Front.
Swan T.W.

Postby Burgerman » 26 Jul 2022, 19:59

Yes It is I googled it. Pride powerchairs are not a big thing in the UK. We do have them but you never see any around.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 02 Aug 2022, 02:31

Moosh89 wrote:
Burgerman wrote:Who are "they"???

Yeah, I get that lol. SaskAbilities provides me with a basic powerchair to meet my needs (minimally) to use for free under the SAIL program (Saskatchewan Aide to Independent Living). All of my power wheelchairs have been provided by them, with the exception of my second power wheelchair (Invacare TIGER youth chair) and my newest chair, the 2017 Invacare Torque 3. They get very uppity about me wanting to keep or modify the chairs they provide to better suit my needs. I plan to fight to keep this 2010 Arrow going for as long as possible. They don't take into consideration any feedback from their clients and instead try to go with whatever they can get cheaply or service cheaply. I've heard nothing but nightmare stories about how mid-wheel drive chairs perform in the environments we live in here in Saskatchewan. If you want to get anywhere reliably, you need a RWD chair.

I may start looking into getting a BOUNDER 300 if I have to hand back this 2010 Arrow. I'd love to stick with Invacare but they too have changed so much, so I might as well try something similar but a bit more rugged for any outdoor adventures. I love the H-frame design of the Storm series chairs by Invacare (what I've grown up with) and the BOUNDER chairs.

I need to take into consideration the overall width of the chairs as well to be sure I can eventually board aircrafts and use camper trailers again.

Sounds like you need to approach them with the question of what they will do with the chairs they take back? I can understand them not wanting to maintain a chair they think is to old, or objecting to mods on one that they are maintaining, but it seems you should be able to insist on keeping the old ones if you take over all the upkeep on them....\

If nothing else there still seems to be a fairly good supply of the H-frame chairs in the used market....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair