Possibly interesting study?

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Possibly interesting study?

Postby ex-Gooserider » 16 Mar 2021, 23:41

I just got this study invitation in my e-mail, and it sounded interesting, although I wouldn't be able to participate since I don't use a zombie-phone....

I figured I'd pass it on... I don't know what would be involved beyond the description, they also aren't clear about whether they absolutely required in person visits (which would also be a problem for me) or not, as they say in person OR virtual....

I'm on a lot of research lists, and am fussy about anything I'd forward, but this seems to be relevant given some of the recent discussions about pressure relief and cushions, etc. and Mayo is about as respectable as you get...

I also have no idea if they would be interested in dealing w/ non-US participants...

ex-Gooserider

Hello,

This message is a Mayo Clinic Institutional Review Board (IRB) approved request for participation in research for Dr. Melissa Morrow and her colleagues.

We are conducting a research study to test two pressure mapping systems that connect to a smartphone using Bluetooth technology, and that can measure the pressure between you and your wheelchair cushion. You are being contacted because you may have participated in a previous study with our group, are enrolled in the Mayo Clinic SCI Rehabilitation Research Registry and/or you have a spinal cord injury. You may be eligible to participate if you are 18 years of age or older, you have a spinal cord injury that includes sensory loss below your level of injury, you require full-time wheelchair use for mobility, you own and can independently operate a smartphone, and are able to perform weight shifts independently.

This study is being done to test two pressure mapping systems that use mobile applications on a smartphone to see if they have an effect on movement behaviors of wheelchair users who are at risk for pressure injuries.

Participation will include a maximum of 2 in-person or virtual visits and four phone or video visits over the course of approximately 13 weeks. You will have two different pressure mapping systems installed on/under your wheelchair cushion, and have their respective mobile applications installed on your phone. You will have access to each of the mobile applications separately during specific intervention periods of the study. You will then be asked to perform specific tasks using the pressure mapping system and provide feedback on the system. You will be asked to complete questionnaires regarding self-efficacy, skin care, and system usability at different points of the study.

Please understand that your current and future employment or medical care at Mayo Clinic will not be affected by whether or not you participate. Specifically, your care will not be jeopardized if you choose not to participate.

This study is planned to start in spring or summer of 2021. We are currently screening potential participants for eligibility – those who are interested and meet criteria for the study will be put on a list of people to be contacted once enrollment is open. If you are interested in participating, please contact the study coordinator listed below to set up an initial screening phone call.

Sarah Gifford – Mayo Clinic Study Coordinator

Gifford.sarah@mayo.edu

507-422-5848.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration in this project,

Dr. Melissa Morrow, Ph.D.

Sarah L.K. Gifford, CCRP
“SAIR-ah GIF-ohrd”, she/her
Certified Clinical Research Coordinator, Mayo Clinic Robert D. and Patricia Kern Center for the Science of Health Care Delivery
Phone: 507-422-5848 | Pager: 507-772-4244 | gifford.sarah@mayo.edu
Mayo Clinic | 200 First Street SW | Rochester, MN 55905 | www.mayoclinic.org
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Return to Everything Powerchair