Quickie Q500H

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Quickie Q500H

Postby hotwheels_75 » 25 Apr 2021, 18:46

Does anyone have or has anyone tested the Q500H RWD hybrid chair? I was considering that one since Canada sucks for options of RWD chairs. I looked at one but was not able to test it at the time and Covid restrictions have prevented me from going back. I just wondered if anyone had any experience with it and opinions on it.

Used to hate the idea of rear casters with constant ground contact, but I am old now and everything hurts so I don’t do any bouncing around or heavy off roading. I also don’t need to or like doing wheelies anymore so thought those castors might be ok. They look pretty flexible with a decent travel range and the tension is adjustable. The chair didn’t appear to have any bigger footprint than my current invacare Arrow Storm.
hotwheels_75

Re: Quickie Q500H

Postby Burgerman » 25 Apr 2021, 19:01

I still hate the idea. But if you have no choice what can you do. Hacksaw... ? Retro fit normal anti tips?

The frustrating thing is that they make a rear drive version of the Q500. Around here it appears the most popular.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby hotwheels_75 » 25 Apr 2021, 19:20

I know I’ve seen the Q500, it drives me nuts they limit options based on country. My main worry is getting snagged up and stuck on obstacles. But I have friends with mid wheels and the seem to get everywhere they need to. I’ll never go mid or front, just hate the feeling.
hotwheels_75

Postby Seajays » 26 Apr 2021, 18:56

I have had contact from Sunrise in Ontario and they tell me a Q500 R is available in North America , but don't know when the Q700 R will be available
Seajays

Postby Burgerman » 26 Apr 2021, 19:08

Woohoo! I bet expresso will be mad... Do you know when? It obviously had to happen.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Seajays » 26 Apr 2021, 19:18

This is my reply from Sunrise.

The Q700 R has not been released in North America yet. What we currently have available in North America is the Q500 R.

With Regards,
Seajays

Postby Seajays » 26 Apr 2021, 19:34

John what is your opinion on this chair?

http://sunrisemedical.ca/power-wheelcha ... eel/q500-h
Seajays

Postby expresso » 27 Apr 2021, 01:10

Burgerman wrote:Woohoo! I bet expresso will be mad... Do you know when? It obviously had to happen.

Haha - i am not mad - because the 636 646 is the best RWD chair here - at least for me - the 500R they have now will replace the 636 i just got -

BUT - the anti tippers are on the ground all the time - dosnt look adjustable - thats the 500R - i wouldnt take it that way - unless there is an adjustment to raise them - and i dont see it -

giving the hard time i had having my 636 anti tippers adjusted - they didnt do it - wont do it - i am on my own - which is fine - i did it and works fine enough now - besides once i add my larger tires - it will raise them up naturally without me doing anything

if they bring the 700R or what ever the model is there here - that may replace the 646 maybe ? BUT how much you want to bet that it will be same as 500R anti tippers on the ground 24/7

some may like that - not for me - i dont need them to be 6 inches high - but at least 2 inches so they dont rattle all day long over every crack - get stuck on things - gaps between the elevator and trains - i dont use public trains or buses - so i dont care - but many do and its a real issue- - they will get stuck in the gaps sooner or later -

the only other chair for me would be the V4 RWD if sunrise gets rid of both 636 and 646 - i have time to decide on next chair
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 27 Apr 2021, 07:37

Expresso.
The Q500R is rear drive normal small anti tip wheels and nothing on the ground.
The Q500H is the one with 6 wheels like a mid drive chair. Its drive wheels are more forwards.

The Q500R is not yet on any US web sites etc. New to the US by the sounds of it. As I suggested must happen if they dont want to trow away money. Its a new version chair compared to the old one that you have. Is it better? In many ways yes. In some ways no. But its lower seating than yours and a newer design by a decade.

Its here:

https://www.sunrisemedical.co.uk/q500r And is available with centre mount footrest. This is what he is talking about. Look at the rear.

https://www.sunrisemedical.com/power-wh ... ive/q500-h LOOK at the REAR of both chairs: US site only shows the Q500H which has the rear axle/motors/drive wheels moved forwards a little and rear casters. Which can be fully removed with 2 bolts each side... Ots a rear biased mid drive, not a rear drive chair.

The Q700R is the basically the rear drive chair almost the same thing with front suspension, and a high starting spec inc gyro and a higher price...
https://www.sunrisemedical.co.uk/powere ... -sedeo-pro
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 27 Apr 2021, 07:57

John what is your opinion on this chair?

http://sunrisemedical.ca/power-wheelcha ... eel/q500-h

Its a mid drive 6 wheel chair. With the drive wheels moved back a small amount. Why wouldnt I like it? An extra pair of casters sticking out behind running over toes in te pub and hitting everything in confined areas like any 6 wheel chair. Theres 100 reasons thats a pain. And they take weight off the drive wheels so you will be less capable on gravel or soft surfaces like mud/snow/grass of damp etc. Not for me. But if you are happy with mid drive chairs this will be pretty much the same with the drive wheels 2 inches further back.

For what its worth the whole rear caster along with its suspension etc can be easily removed with just 2 bolts each side after temporarily removing the wheel.

You then have a very tippy but usable rear drive chair with no rear casters or anti tips... You would need to add anti tips, of your own simple design. And move the seat forwards on its mountings by say 2 inches which is simple. Turning it back into a real rear drive chair. So getting one wouldnt bother me as I would just mod it slightly...

As long as you get 4 pole and 120A version and centre footplate.

1. Best bet wait. The rear drive R version is apparently on its way to the US. Although not the 700R with its front suspension/higher starting spec.
2. You COULD I think, order the front drive version. If available in the US. And it already has all you need. Just swap the IN TURNED arms side to side so they are OUT TURNED ones like the REAR drive version, as that appears to be the only difference, and turn the seat around. But check everything else is the same on the parts website. Then you would have a rear drive Q500R. The front and rear plastic covers/lights will be different too but are cheap. You will need to reprogram the back and forwards so not reversed too.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 27 Apr 2021, 16:49

i mean 500H we have here to replace the 636 - i bet we wont get the 500R version as you have there

its more plastic around the chair - the big difference is the seating - they use there seating with the 500H now - same as they use on there MWD and FWD chairs - and they have black tires now -

so instead of using a 3rd party for seat lift recline etc, - you can get it from sunrise with the 500H - they may surprise me and bring a 700R here and get rid of the 646 ? its possible - either way - getting info. from them is like going to the dentist - good luck -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 28 Apr 2021, 06:21

I have had contact from Sunrise in Ontario and they tell me a Q500 R is available in North America , but don't know when the Q700 R will be available

They are apparently doing so. Thats what the last dozen posts were about.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 28 Apr 2021, 15:20

if its here - where is it ? i only see the 500H - i dont see any 500R here on the website - - also Canada may be different also

they may get it for real - and the rest may not - i also learned what they say means nothing - since they told me i couldnt get black tires on my chair - they wont fit - dont have them etc, when ever other chair they make has black tires

also Rnet 120 wont work on my chair - :lol: also cant get Rnet 120 unless i got high speed motors - they wont work on the 6.5 mph

this is all coming from Sunrise Reps experts on the matter - i believe it when i see it - :thumbup:
expresso

Postby hotwheels_75 » 16 Jul 2021, 02:03

Reviving this old post. I went and looked at the Q500H again today.not the smoothest ride. Rides like a typical mid wheel as expected. The suspension doesn’t absorb bumps like the up and down suspension of a RWD chair. I specifically asked about the Q500R and my dealer said they wouldn’t give him an answer on why they’re not bringing it to Canada yet. Just, not happening this fiscal year, and no commitment for next year.

I have no good options for RWD Chairs.
hotwheels_75

Postby expresso » 16 Jul 2021, 02:08

that sucks - you have V4 RWD still - magic mobility -

i was thinking with the 500H - if you changed out the tires to Air - - add larger rear tires - 350-8 - it would lift it up a bit - those anti tippers would then or should be off the ground then

with air - i wonder how it would feel

i am glad i got the last 636 - they do have the P222se - RWD - but its tippy - battery is under the seating - has to be removed

its compact - and quick chair - but group 4 also - and only with tilt -

i would demo the V4 RWD if you can there - i dont think sunrise is going to bring the 500R here either - they just dont want RWD chairs here it seems - only 2 left i think -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 16 Jul 2021, 04:20

It only leaves the option of ordering the 500 or 700 front drives and turning seat and caster arms around. And ending up with the 500 and 700R.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 16 Jul 2021, 04:31

we are screwed here -

and no one will do that - turning the seating around etc, - would be interesting if someone did - -

by the way - Motor comp - @45 feels great - :thumbup:
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 16 Jul 2021, 05:11

Why not?

1. There are those that bitch and moan. Ther are those that claim everything has problems or its "too hard". Those that expect or want everything handed to them in some easy fashion. Those people get what they are given and put up with stuff in their lives.
2. And there are those that just do it. That take that risk, that help themselves. And have everything their way

Those that are in the first category make up most of the population.
Those in the 2nd one get what they want/need and are happy. You get out of life what you put in.

Which are you?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 16 Jul 2021, 05:58

You and most people fear failing. And make up a lot of trivial reasons for not trying.
I only fear the loss of not trying and not getting what I wanted.

As such I am prapared to do things like this. Or to buy a new car and transplant in a V8 where a little 4 cylinder came out. Or any number of other seemingly risky projects. Such as starting businesses that I didnt know would work, rolling roads, nitrous injection systems, etc. Because the only thing you should really fear is NOT TRYING! As then you will ALWAYS lose out or fail.

The case of turning the seat around and swapping caster arms/programming really is trivial. Hell you could start a small business turning users chairs into rear drive variants or supply them brand new in the US and win 40% on every chair.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rover220 » 16 Jul 2021, 06:28

hotwheels_75 wrote:Reviving this old post. I went and looked at the Q500H again today.not the smoothest ride. Rides like a typical mid wheel as expected. The suspension doesn’t absorb bumps like the up and down suspension of a RWD chair. I specifically asked about the Q500R and my dealer said they wouldn’t give him an answer on why they’re not bringing it to Canada yet. Just, not happening this fiscal year, and no commitment for next year.

buy from the uk and have it shipped?
rover220

Postby Burgerman » 16 Jul 2021, 10:47

I did the opposite with my van.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 16 Jul 2021, 16:31

i get it and i agree - to try -

would be helpful to have real help who is thinking on the same page also - then you make a basic plan - get the tools needed and try it

you have to accept the facts also - it can work - it may not work - or your not able to do it - if all goes to waste - or takes a year etc,

as long as you accept the possible outcomes - its fine

like gambling - the chances are your goin to loose - if it bothers you that much - or you cant afford to loose what you gamble - dont gamble

if your OK with loosing - then you have a chance -

buying from the UK - would be an option - but not many will for one big reason - insurance - money - most dont have the money to buy one outright - with seat lift - tilt etc, -

then the fitting - you have to make sure - at least get close as you can fitting wise size etc, - then make minor adjustments

Shipping - and repairs - that would all be out of pocket for someone - not cheap - not many can afford that - and if some can - may not want to invest when you can get it free -

if it came down to NO RWD chairs here - which is very close to that now - the best option would be to reverse setting -

if you have a few backups already - you wont need to rush to do it - and it may actually work out in the end - you get the free chair and do the work yourself -

i rather hire a tech and do it that way - if all planned out what needs to be done - maybe a few weekends and done -

as long as its not your only chair - of course -

i wonder how the 500H would ride if moving the seat all the way back

bigger tires in the rear to lift it - air tires all around - dosnt look that bad of a chair - at least can get 8mph motors still

i wish the V4 RWD could go 8mph
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 16 Jul 2021, 23:14

i get it and i agree - to try -
would be helpful to have real help who is thinking on the same page also - then you make a basic plan - get the tools needed and try it

You moved the seat. Thats most of the tools!

you have to accept the facts also - it can work - it may not work - or your not able to do it - if all goes to waste - or takes a year etc,

Its all just mind over metal. One way or another It WILL work. It looks to be super simple. The SAME chair assembled slightly differently. Takes seconds to turn the seat around. 10 mins to correct the programming. And IF they fit and they look to be identical, swap the caster arms left/right is 2 nuts...
as long as you accept the possible outcomes - its fine

Heres the outcomes. You want a rear drive Q500 or Q700. They wont let you have one. So theres TWO choices! You either do it yourself. Or you suffer the next 5 years in a dumb mid drive that you hate. The only thing you had to lose was the chair you want.
like gambling - the chances are your goin to loose - if it bothers you that much - or you cant afford to loose what you gamble - dont gamble
if your OK with loosing - then you have a chance -

Its only TINY gamble though. I can see by looking at the chairs, and the parts site that the damned things are the same. So its a super low risk. I took a punt on a Dell rugged laptop (over 3k full retail) and bid 350. Was sold as spares or repair not working. No returns. Looked brand new to me, and the sellers description of the laptop did not fit what I saw. Turns out its brand new, and the only thing wrong is a tiny dent on the metal rear cover. Which is gone now. I bought a replacement online. 22 quid... So I have a brand new 3k laptop with absolutely unblemished unused boxed condition. Its identical to the one I just paid almost 3k for. Now I have 2. You got to take a punt on the things that your BRAIN says will work out. If you never do a bad deal you wont do all the good ones I keep doing either! As I said. Everyone is too careful and worries way too much!

buying from the UK - would be an option - but not many will for one big reason - insurance - money - most dont have the money to buy one outright - with seat lift - tilt etc, -

My 700K was new. With warranty. With EVERY SINGLE OPTION ticked. Even a gyro... A 12.5K chair for 4.4K and that included them fitting a power centre footrest to match the lift/tilt/recline/etc.

then the fitting - you have to make sure - at least get close as you can fitting wise size etc, - then make minor adjustments

No you dont. They are all the same. Everything IS a minor adjustment. You can get longer seat rails. If your thighs are around 3 feet long! And you can get different seat back heights/widths. But one look tells you if it will work, and different sized ones are cheap. So a technicality. Same with arm tops. Want padded longer ones? Give me the part number ant the price of a round of drinks and I will post!
Shipping - and repairs - that would all be out of pocket for someone - not cheap - not many can afford that - and if some can - may not want to invest when you can get it free -

True. Suffer the mid drive hell then! You only live once. Too late later!

if it came down to NO RWD chairs here - which is very close to that now - the best option would be to reverse seatting -

if you have a few backups already - you wont need to rush to do it - and it may actually work out in the end - you get the free chair and do the work yourself -

i rather hire a tech and do it that way - if all planned out what needs to be done - maybe a few weekends and done -

If I couldnt do that in the same time as it takes to move it rearward or forwards plus maybe 5 mins I would sell all my tools. Worst case you may need to order a different cable, or different lights from the rear drive one. Certainly nothing much.

i wonder how the 500H would ride if moving the seat all the way back

bigger tires in the rear to lift it - air tires all around - dosnt look that bad of a chair - at least can get 8mph motors still

It doesent have the suspension on the drive wheels in the same way the rear drive does. It will not be as good. Without a good look at one its hard to say. But since the front drive/seat reversal is a much better bet as it IS the rear drive chair, then its not really worth looking at one is it? Its a modded mid drive.

i wish the V4 RWD could go 8mph

Well it cant! The Q500R and Q700R can.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 16 Jul 2021, 23:52

i have at least 5 years to decide - who knows by then -
expresso

Postby hotwheels_75 » 17 Jul 2021, 00:20

The front wheel drive version are available in Canada either, so reversing the seating on one of those isn’t an option either. I will probably end up going with the 500h and just get it as best I can. Definitely air filled tires. Seating moved back etc.
hotwheels_75

Postby expresso » 17 Jul 2021, 00:52

if your not in it for the speed - you can try the V4 RWD - in that case -
expresso

Postby Jay_x » 16 Sep 2021, 04:50

hotwheels_75 wrote:Reviving this old post. I went and looked at the Q500H again today.not the smoothest ride. Rides like a typical mid wheel as expected. The suspension doesn’t absorb bumps like the up and down suspension of a RWD chair. I specifically asked about the Q500R and my dealer said they wouldn’t give him an answer on why they’re not bringing it to Canada yet. Just, not happening this fiscal year, and no commitment for next year.

Okay so this answers my question. So you found that despite being called a 'hybrid' it actually ride like a MWD? If that is the case I see no real advantage to it at all. I was going to press my VA rep for a test drive of this chair but now I am not so sure.

I need to call and ask about this mythical RWD chair they keep claiming is going to be available in NA someday.
Jay_x

Postby Burgerman » 16 Sep 2021, 13:08

You mean the Q700R? Its not mythical I am sat in one as I type.

What is NA?

Also, the Q500H is shorter wheelbase than a rear drive Q500R. And unlike the 700 version, it has no front suspension. And it has little rer drive suspension travel. So really is closer to the mid drive than the proper rear drive one. Ideally you want the Q700 though if they import anything, as it also has front suspension and a long enough wheelbase that it is stable for rehab seating, as well as a better ride with less pitching.

So find out which one they are really going to import?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby LROBBINS » 16 Sep 2021, 13:43

NA = North America
LROBBINS

Postby expresso » 16 Sep 2021, 16:40

i bet they wont import any RWD here - if they did they would have already - since they got rid of the 6x6 models - there only RWD they every had - other than the P222 model - and replaced it with the 500H - they think they are fooling the users - they already have MWD and FWD chairs - - there is no need for a 500H - - 500R yes - they should have at least one RWD -

its too bad - sunrise was the only one left with a decent RWD chair and faster motor options - with them out of the picture - there is really nothing left other than - V4 RWD and Bounder - bounder is not a great Main chair only - so leaves the V4 as the ONLY RWD chair left with Rnet at least - but only 6 mph motors also -

unless you want invacare with Linx controller - i never liked invacare - and never considered one - dont like there JS - swingaway that dosnt work - and they never changed it so it does work - same way for 20 years - every user i know says same thing - yet they dont do nothing about it -

we have to import them from UK soon :thumbup:
expresso

Next

Return to Everything Powerchair