Rebuilding VR2 based Rascal 320

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Rebuilding VR2 based Rascal 320

Postby tricky » 01 May 2021, 19:49

Hi Everyone

I'm in the processes of rebuilding a Rascal 320 wheel chair that had been neglected and had been googling for information and came across this forum.

I've got everything working with the chairs control, however I've noticed an issue with deceleration on the left hand drive wheel. When letting the joystick move back to the central position after full forward motion, the left hand wheel almost locks up, but the right hand wheel slows gradual. This then causes the chair to have an abrupt jolt to the left. If I repeat the same in reverse the sudden deceleration doesn't seem to occur.

I've gone through the re-calibration process of the joystick (maid type) by disconnecting it from the circuit board and powering on the JSM, This didn't make a difference to the control. This has made me think maybe some of the parameters in the VR2 are not consistent for both drive motors ?

Do you think I'm going in the right direction ? If so I'll look at sourcing the cables/software for programming/checking controller values.

BTW this forum looks like an amazing resource.

Regards, Richard.
tricky

Re: Rebuilding VR2 based Rascal 320

Postby Burgerman » 01 May 2021, 19:55

I suspect that the gearbox or more likely the rubber cush drive or motor coupling has a problem. Could also be a loose or broken magnet in the motor. The type of thing you describe isnt possible in programming or calibration.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby tricky » 01 May 2021, 20:01

Thanks for quick reply. I'll strip the motor and gearbox and take a look.

Regards, Richard.
tricky

Postby Burgerman » 01 May 2021, 20:04

Could also be worn or stuck motor brush, bad connection. Etc.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair