CRC error

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

CRC error

Postby biscuit » 08 May 2021, 17:37

Good afternoon all from rainy Lincolnshire.

Today my PL8 has a CRC error when I try to update the charge presets. I am guessing the first thing to do is to install the firmware and my presets again.

I've just moved house and the computer and PL8 and their paraphernalia have emerged from one of the boxes after a week. Naturally the PC immediately bleated at me for attention. But I was busy and ignored it until I wanted to use the CCS. Buy the time I looked at the screen again it was doing is own thing. Then when I started the CCS it offered me an update to that as well. I figured that could also wait a while. Perhaps I was wrong?? I suspect that now it has forgotten how to communicate with the PL8.

Maybe I should have left the PC behind when I moved.
biscuit

Re: CRC error

Postby Burgerman » 08 May 2021, 17:51

They sometimes do. Just do it again.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 08 May 2021, 18:28

I think my PL8 has died. :shock: I tried to reinstall v3.35 and it gave me an error message to power off the PL8 and check my com ports and connectors. When I powered up again the LCD on the PL8 had a row of squares and pressing its buttons had no effect.
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 08 May 2021, 18:45

Sounds like you have a bad usb connection to cause crc errors. Swap cable and redo firmware update. Preferably with a different PC. Should be 3.36 anyway!

And if all else fails you can do this:
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 08 May 2021, 19:16

Oh. My CCS isn't showing v3.36.
biscuit

Postby biscuit » 08 May 2021, 19:55

my pc is protecting me from installing harmful programmes namely the updated version of the ccs. Now I think I know what the little devil was up to while I looked away this morning. It proudly proclaims that it has prevented setup.exe from running.The only option it gives is don't run. It also boasts that it has deleted a few other files of mine that it disapproved of. (PL8 preset files, they were.)
so my least favourite activity again tomorrow, fiddling with computer settings for hours to get back to where I started.
meanwhile my PL8 is dead.
tsk tsk.
biscuit

Postby steves1977uk » 08 May 2021, 20:44

Yep, you have to take control of Windows and not let it do it's own thing. Turn off any AV as these can cause issues.

When you power on the PL8, do the LCD light up? If it does, then it's probably ok but just need a forced firmware update if the LCD is blank or displaying squares.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby biscuit » 08 May 2021, 22:23

The lcd backlight comes on. I'll be happy if the PL8 isn't bricked. Sad to have to spend tomorrow fiddling around with the PC before I can scan try to install working firmware on the PL8. Somehow the PC's settings were always fine (ish) for doing the two tasks I own it for, since the day it was given to me.

what is AV?
biscuit

Postby steves1977uk » 08 May 2021, 22:41

AV = Anti-Virus. :thumbup: The PL8 powering up is a good sign it's not totally dead. Just needs it firmware reloading and hopefully it solves your issue.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby snaker » 09 May 2021, 01:46

@biscuit: Click on "More info" white text, you will see the "Run anyway" button.
snaker

Postby biscuit » 09 May 2021, 08:15

I clicked on "more info" yesterday and continued the installation, but there is another layer of protection preventing it from installing the CCS.

I've never done anything to make this computer work beyond sorting out its ports and display time. It seems that now is the time to purge it of cortana and other bloatware so it helps me, not the other way round.

For starters this morning when I switched it on I tried disconnecting it from the internet, as antivirus turned off makes me feel like I'm in the park naked. The PC said that is not possible to disable the connection because it is busy doing uploads and downloads.

It is like a science fiction book I once read with the smart homes taking over.
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 09 May 2021, 09:32

In the park naked? Is this a thing you tried? :eh:

What antivirus are you switching off, and how?

I have had no antivirus switched on in windows 10 since it was launched. I RUN it every few weeks just in case, and never found any virus or anything else ever.

Are you running this exe file from your desktop or from your browser. If so which browser?

Put this ON YOUR DESKTOP. And then run it as administrator. (right click it, choose run as admin). Your browser, depending what you use, and how its configured may try to stop you... Mine doesent.

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/3.6-install.exe

Use a NEW USB cable...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 09 May 2021, 15:10

In the park naked? Is this a thing you tried? :eh:

Be a bit chilly for that BM! :lol: In some countries people walk around in the nuddy and nobody bats an eyelid. :mrgreen:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby biscuit » 09 May 2021, 18:29

I'm going to keep quiet about how many nudist parks I have visited.
clue: I haven't found any in Lincs.
Meanwhile thank you for the help, my PC has been beaten into submission and my PL8 has come back to life with firmware 3.36.

I consulted a thread with handy information about what was preventing the installation: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10425&p=170165&hilit=browser#p170138
so thank you for that also! it made a potentially slow and boring process fast and painless.
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 09 May 2021, 22:47

Well then. I can help you. https://www.campsites.co.uk/search/camp ... day-resort

Dont forget to post pics if you go. :o
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 09 May 2021, 23:00

Good heavens, that's just up the road from where I live! :clap
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 09 May 2021, 23:06

They dont exactly shout about those places. But you did say you couldnt find one!

You need binoculars. :shh:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 10 May 2021, 11:54

Imagine the sights you would see though! :shock: If there was any Kelly Brook lookalikes there then I'm all for it! :admirer :mrgreen:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 10 May 2021, 12:02

Unfortunately they tend to be kids, or wrinklys, hairy or fat/ugly sandle wearing hippies...

All the pretty young girls in their late teens, 20s or 30s dont tend to want to be there to be gawked at by everyone. And the rest make you want to dig your eyes out with a spoon. Remember you cant unsee this stuff.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 10 May 2021, 14:57

Too true! Nudes are great in artists' pictures, but it's not for nothing people feel embarrassed to walk around starkers. Most naked people are - umm - droopy. If they aren't, maybe they get paid for not being butt-ugly.
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 10 May 2021, 15:03

I used to do landscape photography. Frequently enhanced by some female foreground point of interest. Sat on a rock or something.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 10 May 2021, 18:25

@Miss Biscuit, I see you beat your PC into submission. Is that something else you're into? :shh: :lol: :mrgreen:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby biscuit » 10 May 2021, 18:46

Don't get carried away now, Steve!
I'm the kindest and sweetest person through and through. Me and the PC just have a very rocky relationship, same with anything technological, because they all need more patience and concentration than I have.
Jennifer.
biscuit

Postby steves1977uk » 10 May 2021, 19:02

So am I! :thumbup: But that doesn't mean we can't have an umm.... kinky side too! :lol:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 10 May 2021, 20:31

The problem with PCs is that they ARE very complicated. And like everything in life they need to be understood. Or the shit frequently hits the fan. Most women think they are shops and telephones or something. And just like cars, dont care as long as they "work".

But its worth the time and effort to learn. Everything is computerised or requires a computer today. And knowlege is power. And that power makes your life easier. Gives big advantages over the others...

What are you studying? You were studying something at uni I think? Probably not computers.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 10 May 2021, 23:48

Having been to various clothing optional events and so forth, I would comment that it is amazing how quickly one stops paying particular attention to the lack of textiles...

It does require some changes in cooking habits - frying bacon in the nude is NOT a good idea!

Also it is a wise idea to be enthusiastic about use of sunscreen - there are certain places that you REALLY don't want sunburned....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby biscuit » 10 May 2021, 23:51

B.A. All your least favourite subjects, John! :lol:
Art is the reason for technology, philosophy is the basic ground of technology, language is the communication of technology.

Computers are important as well, I'm sure. But most of what I do I can do without a computer.
biscuit

Postby biscuit » 11 May 2021, 00:24

Friend of mine in Paris invited me to visit and said maybe I could help her as her standard lamp had stopped working a month before.
I lived in London. Paris is beautiful and it is great to visit a friend living there.

Turned out she'd pushed the sofa against the wall wart and turned it off.

She had a problem with her washing machine a couple of years later, but she told me she had sorted that one out by calling a passing man in the street to help.

She does not get involved with technology. I have tried that, but somehow against my wishes I do end up fixing things quite often.
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 11 May 2021, 01:22

B.A. All your least favourite subjects, John! :lol:
Art is the reason for technology,

It is? In what possible way? I see art as a complete waste of time. What does it do?
philosophy is the basic ground of technology,

It is? The reason science exists as a seperate subject that seperated from philosophy LONG ago was because the scientific method and actual science was discovered. It left philosphy behind as a lot of hot air. It has achieved and added absolutely nothing at all and doesent even understand "technology" or science, in centuries. Its been a dead end for centuries. The only useful thing it ever did that didnt turn out to be wrong was to DEFINE the laws of logic (that many rational people were already using but didnt call it anything special)...
language is the communication of technology.

Not even sure what that means. Yes I have language. Language is essential. Its for the communication of everything but it also fails in science to describe certain things. Depends what your definition of technology is.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair