4 point tie downs

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

4 point tie downs

Postby lafguy » 10 Jun 2021, 18:55

Have any of you added 4 point tie downs to chair? My Bounder is too heavy to use on public transportation in my area. I want to add to my Golden Lite Rider Envy. Do you think someone to weld 4 prongs on chair? Dumb to buy new chair just for 4 point tie downs Thoughts ideas
'
Main Chair: 300m Bounder ST4 Motors 100ah Battery Tilt/Recline Dx2
backup Chair: Lite Rider Envy
lafguy

Re: 4 point tie downs

Postby Burgerman » 10 Jun 2021, 19:40

Usually the chairs are tested (crash tested) and once they fix all the stuff that fails and will injure you then they automatically add those things. At least here.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby foghornleghorn » 10 Jun 2021, 19:54

lafguy wrote:My Bounder is too heavy to use on public transportation in my area.
'

What is the weight limit? Is it some sort of light rail / bus service, or a dedicated whelchair van with a lift?

lafguy wrote:I want to add to my Golden Lite Rider Envy.
'

Don't! If you are sat on a Golden Lite Rider Envy in a crash the whole chair will snap, and you will be double disabled.
foghornleghorn

Postby lafguy » 11 Jun 2021, 19:25

In this area I have only one service. The lift handles 650 lbs me and my Bounder are 700 lbs. Any other service is not handy for me.
I thought about getting new chair but, 10k just for getting tie downs is dumb.
I check Marcs Mobility for used chairs too.
Main Chair: 300m Bounder ST4 Motors 100ah Battery Tilt/Recline Dx2
backup Chair: Lite Rider Envy
lafguy

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jun 2021, 20:06

Lie. 50Lb extra wont break anything. Likely tested to 1.5 the rated load. Or more.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Dan » 11 Jun 2021, 20:24

If anyone asks the weight id tell them me and the chair weighted just under 650lb. I guess the worst thing that would happen would be the lift not going up? But I have seen vehicle lifts being used with both the wheelchair user and the person operating the lift standing on it.
I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.
Dan

Postby ex-Gooserider » 16 Jun 2021, 02:56

I don't have tie-down points on my chair as such. When they need to tie my chair down I just tell them what the best places are to hook on... Sometimes they even listen :shock: , other times they get creative and pick the spots they like - unless the spots they pick are clearly bad (i.e. my tilting leg rests) or cause a problem otherwise, I don't fight about it...

Keeping Foghorn's comments about the safety of the chair in general in mind, if you do want to use it anyway, I'd just figure out 4 spots that they can hook onto and just be ready to point them out.

If need be, I have seen people use so called "soft hooks" which are basically a loop of webbing that you girth hitch around a frame tube and then hook the tie-down into the loop. You will find them in motorcycle shops. (Another possible option might be a small rock climbing slings)

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Return to Everything Powerchair