drive motors and gearboxes

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

drive motors and gearboxes

Postby Cyscrofer » 21 Jun 2021, 12:08

Hi all,

I'm my quest for total supremacy...…hang on wrong speech .lol

in my quest for power and speed I'm trying to hunt down motors and gear boxes for a new build.

I've found a suitable 8 inch wide 14 inch rolling alloy wheel and tyre set up but now need a drive system.

the gearbox I thought about using is the NMRV75 box for its strength and availability

I've been looking at 1500watt motors in 24 or 48v configurations to match this NMRV75 box.

however in the quest the prices coming back are roughly £200 per unit and usual import taxes and customs rip off duties will probably kill it off especially as i was thinking of 4 units to make a 4wd buggy...

there's plenty of normal power chair motor gear boxes and transaxle combinations out there but all are very boring and my life doesn't seem to work under 8mph anywhere.

the current unit I've found has a ratio of 7.5 and as such will provide a healthily 16 mph if not more which is perfect for me.

but I'm a Yorkshireman and as such I'm tight with my money and want to make my pennies go as far as i can.....

does any one know of a strong motor gear box preferably like a power chair type of set up so i can have individual suspension within the UK to avoid the import cost and time?

my other option is a 1400wat transaxle set up which might be stronger as the wheels are 8 inches wide.....but I'm then limited to the boring 8mph speed.

anyone been here before and can help please?
Cyscrofer

Re: drive motors and gearboxes

Postby Burgerman » 21 Jun 2021, 15:17

Where to begin.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 21 Jun 2021, 16:08

....but I'm then limited to the boring 8mph speed.
Only if you stick to 24v ...go 48v and you'll get 16mph.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Cyscrofer » 04 Jul 2021, 13:28

Quick update.
I've managed to get 1500watt 24v motors custom built nailed onto a NMRV063 gearbox set up....x4

I'm also having 5:1 gear ratio custom made to give me upto 30mph on the custom build I'm building.

My next problem is controllers and programmers to handle these 4 animal motors.

Unless anyone can recommend I'm considering running rhino controllers
70 amp should be able however 110 amp would be preferred.

These seem one of the best for the money.

Dead easy to wire and seem to hold out when abused....plus they offer good regenerative braking.

They also have the brake output I need and brake monitor so I can isolate a controller for freewheeling if required.

If anyone can offer to sell me a hand held programmer or suggest an alternative ....I'm open to suggestions
Cyscrofer

Postby Burgerman » 04 Jul 2021, 14:06

With 30mph gearing at 24V then you are going to need a lot more than 110A.
A scooter with say 8mph gearing has just adequate torque at its 110A draw. Yours will quadruple the current requirement or have 1/4 the torque while it heats up its controller fast!

And the motors at 1500 watts x 2 is only 3000 watts Thats just 4 hp? If yu manage to accelerate to any sort of sped for gods sake dont go near a hill.

But its not so simple. Thats not the max power they take. Thats the average power that they can run at at best efficiency continually. They take maybe 10x as much current at stall to low speed as you set off or accelerate.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 04 Jul 2021, 14:47

I've managed to get 1500watt 24v motors custom built
Specs for these motors R = ? or stall amps = ? , no load amps ...etc etc.

If anyone can offer to sell me a hand held programmer or suggest an alternative ....I'm open to suggestions
Not a problem for Dynamic / Curtis Instruments or PGDT.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Return to Everything Powerchair