terrifying situation yesterday

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

terrifying situation yesterday

Postby fishinjunky » 28 Jun 2021, 13:18

Yesterday i had a absolute shit your self terrifying situation happen. I decided to take my bounder on a new trail ride couple miles from my house. As i was going up a dirt hill on the trail with a drainage ditch in the middle. When i was half ways up the hill my right caster slid into a hole rotating my entire chair laying it allmost on its side. Both left tires were completely off the ground and i was laid over on my side a couple inches from the ground teetering on flipping and rolling down the steep hill. I TRIED everything but i was all most completely flipped and going no where. Fortunitly my mom strapped my upper body in before i left because if not i couldnt have reached my pone because i was laid over. it was in the 90s super hot within a few hours i would have died from over heating. There was no shade and no one anywhere close to hear me screaming. i was passing out when they found me. Im still realy shook up over it.

be safe out there guys dont take stupid risks like i did
Invacare tdx sp
Bounder 300M 200ah lifepo4
fishinjunky

Re: terrifying situation yesterday

Postby Fred005 » 28 Jun 2021, 22:47

I'll be careful.
Fred005

Postby Burgerman » 28 Jun 2021, 22:56

Mobile phone always. It might just stop you dont need to fall out.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby snaker » 29 Jun 2021, 01:57

You MUST install a tracking app in your phone, therefore your family is able to 'see' you on a map anytime. I am using an app named 'location via sms'. It could work without network wifi/4g/5g. If I go out, my dad checks my location every 30 minutes. If he sees me stay in a place for long time, he knows I am having trouble. That app also displays a map and a route indication to my location.

If your phone has wireless network like 4g/5g, you can use voice command to wake up your phone and tell it to call to a phone number of your family.
snaker

Postby ex-Gooserider » 29 Jun 2021, 02:00

I also had a seriously scary one a few days ago... I'm OK but my van is on it's way to the "great junkyard in the sky"... I was on my way home from the Asylum, and was following my usual route. I had a green light so was traveling at about the normal speed (~25mph) for the area.

Somerville is supposedly the most densely populated city in the US, and there were buildings up to the corner so you couldn't see cross traffic until almost entering the intersection. Just as I was entering the intersection a fire truck (w/ lights and siren) came through running the red light :o hanged

As I couldn't see the truck coming, I had no time to do anything useful, though I tried to hit the brakes and turn to run alongside (futile, but...) so I "T-boned" the fire truck at it's front wheel...

It totally smashed the front end - the only thing not broken was the driver side headlight, all the front bits were ripped off. The van was spun nearly 180* (which probably soaked up a lot of the impact, so not a bad thing....)

I just had a few scrapes and bruises, but they insisted on hauling me off to the emergency room (without my chair - they said they couldn't transport it... :cussing banghead ) it took until almost noon the next day before they got the chair to me, so I was stuck in the ER for many hours....

Absolutely no rental replacement vans available. banghead

Fortunately we still had Mary-Anne's Nissan Cube sitting in the driveway, I had to get it towed to a local shop so they could get it running, and I'm now driving it with a set of 'Universal Hand Controls' purchased off of Amazon - and having to use my manual chair...

But it could have been a LOT worse....

Currently negotiating w/ the insurance company (USAA, which is usually pretty decent) over what they will give me for the old van so I will have a budget for the replacement....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby hobie1dog » 29 Jun 2021, 03:37

WOW :ambulance :shock:
Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe-nowhere else could things be more screwed up.

Invacare M61
Quickie S636- 3.00-4 tires, Chevy seat
hobie1dog

Postby fishinjunky » 29 Jun 2021, 14:48

ex-Gooserider wrote:I also had a seriously scary one a few days ago... I'm OK but my van is on it's way to the "great junkyard in the sky"... I was on my way home from the Asylum, and was following my usual route. I had a green light so was traveling at about the normal speed (~25mph) for the area.

Somerville is supposedly the most densely populated city in the US, and there were buildings up to the corner so you couldn't see cross traffic until almost entering the intersection. Just as I was entering the intersection a fire truck (w/ lights and siren) came through running the red light :o hanged

As I couldn't see the truck coming, I had no time to do anything useful, though I tried to hit the brakes and turn to run alongside (futile, but...) so I "T-boned" the fire truck at it's front wheel...

It totally smashed the front end - the only thing not broken was the driver side headlight, all the front bits were ripped off. The van was spun nearly 180* (which probably soaked up a lot of the impact, so not a bad thing....)

I just had a few scrapes and bruises, but they insisted on hauling me off to the emergency room (without my chair - they said they couldn't transport it... :cussing banghead ) it took until almost noon the next day before they got the chair to me, so I was stuck in the ER for many hours....

Absolutely no rental replacement vans available. banghead

Fortunately we still had Mary-Anne's Nissan Cube sitting in the driveway, I had to get it towed to a local shop so they could get it running, and I'm now driving it with a set of 'Universal Hand Controls' purchased off of Amazon - and having to use my manual chair...

But it could have been a LOT worse....

Currently negotiating w/ the insurance company (USAA, which is usually pretty decent) over what they will give me for the old van so I will have a budget for the replacement....

ex-Gooserider

That's insane
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby fishinjunky » 29 Jun 2021, 14:50

snaker wrote:You MUST install a tracking app in your phone, therefore your family is able to 'see' you on a map anytime. I am using an app named 'location via sms'. It could work without network wifi/4g/5g. If I go out, my dad checks my location every 30 minutes. If he sees me stay in a place for long time, he knows I am having trouble. That app also displays a map and a route indication to my location.

If your phone has wireless network like 4g/5g, you can use voice command to wake up your phone and tell it to call to a phone number of your family.

For sure and careless me didn't tell anyone where i was going so stupid
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby fishinjunky » 29 Jun 2021, 15:01

Burgerman wrote:Mobile phone always. It might just stop you dont need to fall out.

Always. It scared me so bad BM i went and got a life alert pendant for wearing around my neck for long offroad trips incase I'm unableto reach my phone or cant use voice activation. I was very close to not being able to reach my phone an if I couldn't have I would still be stuck there but i wouldn't have survived long at all I was already passing out. I think the life alert pendant is a great idea for those with limited hand and finger function that like doing stupid risky offroad shit like me
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby Burgerman » 29 Jun 2021, 19:16

I once went into the small brick room IN MY GARDEN full of mowers etc. And the chair stopped working. Pilot plus joystick failed - the only time this ever happened in 23 years. This mower room is at the bottom of the garden away from the house. No phone as I was not leaving home. So thought I wouldnt need it.

It was hot, summer and I was very very overheated and no drinks... 6 hours later my carer turned up. Found the house doors all unlocked so presumed I was in. Had a look around. Couldnt see me and so presumed I was out. She rang me to find out where/when and my phone rang 3 feet from her! So she realised I was not far away. So began a better search and found me. Just about in time.

So I now keep a phone on my even at home! It matters.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby fishinjunky » 30 Jun 2021, 11:59

Burgerman wrote:I once went into the small brick room IN MY GARDEN full of mowers etc. And the chair stopped working. Pilot plus joystick failed - the only time this ever happened in 23 years. This mower room is at the bottom of the garden away from the house. No phone as I was not leaving home. So thought I wouldnt need it.

It was hot, summer and I was very very overheated and no drinks... 6 hours later my carer turned up. Found the house doors all unlocked so presumed I was in. Had a look around. Couldnt see me and so presumed I was out. She rang me to find out where/when and my phone rang 3 feet from her! So she realised I was not far away. So began a better search and found me. Just about in time.

wow 6 hours you were probably very close to having a stroke
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby fishinjunky » 30 Jun 2021, 13:07

Burgerman wrote:I once went into the small brick room IN MY GARDEN full of mowers etc. And the chair stopped working. Pilot plus joystick failed - the only time this ever happened in 23 years. This mower room is at the bottom of the garden away from the house. No phone as I was not leaving home. So thought I wouldnt need it.

i didnt take stuff like this serious enough. I didnt even think about the chance of our electronics randomly going out.
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby Burgerman » 30 Jun 2021, 13:11

I was mostly in danger of dying of boredom. And worrying about not getting discovered for days!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 30 Jun 2021, 14:04

fishinjunky wrote:
Burgerman wrote:Mobile phone always. It might just stop you dont need to fall out.

Always. It scared me so bad BM i went and got a life alert pendant for wearing around my neck for long offroad trips incase I'm unableto reach my phone or cant use voice activation. .......I think the life alert pendant is a great idea

They are. But if like mine they rely on the mobile phone network they are not so good if there is no available signal. There isn't one within 400 metres in any direction from where I live. I will have to make sure my accident happens elsewhere! banghead
greybeard

Postby Marcelo » 30 Jun 2021, 20:38

fishinjunky wrote:Yesterday i had a absolute shit your self terrifying situation happen. I decided to take my bounder on a new trail ride couple miles from my house. As i was going up a dirt hill on the trail with a drainage ditch in the middle. When i was half ways up the hill my right caster slid into a hole rotating my entire chair laying it allmost on its side. Both left tires were completely off the ground and i was laid over on my side a couple inches from the ground teetering on flipping and rolling down the steep hill. I TRIED everything but i was all most completely flipped and going no where. Fortunitly my mom strapped my upper body in before i left because if not i couldnt have reached my pone because i was laid over. it was in the 90s super hot within a few hours i would have died from over heating. There was no shade and no one anywhere close to hear me screaming. i was passing out when they found me. Im still realy shook up over it.

Thanks to God for having ended up good friend. Freedom is nice, but it's always nice to have someone with you. The problem is that it only gives more adrenaline isn't it! ;)
Marcelo

Postby expresso » 01 Jul 2021, 03:46

be very careful - off road and no one around etc, - your lucky you didnt flip over - the bounder is short base - its too bad - not many of us it seems have a friend to ride along - i am always alone also - what can we do - i would like off road riding -

i keep my phone with me all the time - in my home - its near me know - if i got to my chair - i bring it - go to the kitchen is with me or in my chair side pocket - you never know

i had a few scary moments - a few going up hills - getting stuck on my anti tippers i couldnt move - facing the sky - surprised i didnt tip over - felt like a long time - but maybe a min a bike came by and lower my front end down - i went up backwards and never used that chair again for hills p222se - my indoor chair now

another time it happened but i rode it all the way - thats the key - cant stop - but better never to have it happen in the first place

and the worst one was the first year i did the lithium - i was so excited to go far - i found new places and going down hill pretty steep and turns - i did it maybe 5 or 6 times full speed before - felt fine - then one time - i crashed - bent the steel iron fence - got stuck and couldnt get out - no one around

good thing was i didnt get hurt - somehow - my armpad took the hit - those big quickie water fall kinds - thick padding - by luck -if the pad didnt it - my face and legs would have hit it instead - i managed to rock my chair back and forth till i made it out -

i bent my left arm post - and most likely weaken my seat lift - that finally cracked last year - anyway - it was scary and i go down that hill very slow now - i am more careful now - i think but sometimes we get carried away -

be careful with that bounder - even though it brakes well locks up the tires - its heavy and wont stop as fast - the weight keeps going - i had to get used to that - and downhills arent that easy either - as long as you made it safe -
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 01 Jul 2021, 10:45

i had a few scary moments - a few going up hills - getting stuck on my anti tippers i couldnt move - facing the sky - surprised i didnt tip over - felt like a long time - but maybe a min a bike came by and lower my front end down

I do this all the time. You just reverse and down it goes. I do it on purpose to tilt back on chairs with no recline.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby fishinjunky » 01 Jul 2021, 14:30

Marcelo wrote:
fishinjunky wrote:Yesterday i had a absolute shit your self terrifying situation happen. I decided to take my bounder on a new trail ride couple miles from my house. As i was going up a dirt hill on the trail with a drainage ditch in the middle. When i was half ways up the hill my right caster slid into a hole rotating my entire chair laying it allmost on its side. Both left tires were completely off the ground and i was laid over on my side a couple inches from the ground teetering on flipping and rolling down the steep hill. I TRIED everything but i was all most completely flipped and going no where. Fortunitly my mom strapped my upper body in before i left because if not i couldnt have reached my pone because i was laid over. it was in the 90s super hot within a few hours i would have died from over heating. There was no shade and no one anywhere close to hear me screaming. i was passing out when they found me. Im still realy shook up over it.

Thanks to God for having ended up good friend. Freedom is nice, but it's always nice to have someone with you. The problem is that it only gives more adrenaline isn't it! ;)

My biggest problem is that I'm unable to control the adrenalin and I push the limits to far. I know it's stupid but i I had forgotten how much fun brushing with danger is but now that I'm disabled I'm unable to get out of those dangerous situations if something goes wrong. I'm still gonna do same stuff but take the right precautions first
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby fishinjunky » 01 Jul 2021, 14:48

expresso wrote:be very careful - off road and no one around etc, - your lucky you didnt flip over - the bounder is short base - its too bad - not many of us it seems have a friend to ride along - i am always alone also - what can we do - i would like off road riding -

i keep my phone with me all the time - in my home - its near me know - if i got to my chair - i bring it - go to the kitchen is with me or in my chair side pocket - you never know

i had a few scary moments - a few going up hills - getting stuck on my anti tippers i couldnt move - facing the sky - surprised i didnt tip over - felt like a long time - but maybe a min a bike came by and lower my front end down - i went up backwards and never used that chair again for hills p222se - my indoor chair now

another time it happened but i rode it all the way - thats the key - cant stop - but better never to have it happen in the first place

and the worst one was the first year i did the lithium - i was so excited to go far - i found new places and going down hill pretty steep and turns - i did it maybe 5 or 6 times full speed before - felt fine - then one time - i crashed - bent the steel iron fence - got stuck and couldnt get out - no one around

good thing was i didnt get hurt - somehow - my armpad took the hit - those big quickie water fall kinds - thick padding - by luck -if the pad didnt it - my face and legs would have hit it instead - i managed to rock my chair back and forth till i made it out -

i bent my left arm post - and most likely weaken my seat lift - that finally cracked last year - anyway - it was scary and i go down that hill very slow now - i am more careful now - i think but sometimes we get carried away -

be careful with that bounder - even though it brakes well locks up the tires - its heavy and wont stop as fast - the weight keeps going - i had to get used to that - and downhills arent that easy either - as long as you made it safe -

It would be awesome to have another person to ride with. I've found at least a dozen hidden offroad trails that are in nature and a blast. But I still enjoy it I take my vape pen and get blazed on my rides lol

I really enjoy the Bounder with all the new freedom I push my limits to far I just need to calm down a little and take the right precautions.

imagine if we had video of our crashes lol I bet your ass was in your mouth

I was basically laid over on my side few inches from the ground my caster was stuck keeping it teetering it was crazy.

I talked to 21st about the rims and mine are like yours just a little narrower spacer.

The prescription for the lithium battery and linx gyro has been submitted I'll let ya know how that goes. What should I do with the group 24 batteries they are almost brand new but I'll have no way to keep them charged and wont need them.

Like you sa
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby expresso » 01 Jul 2021, 15:04

Burgerman wrote:
i had a few scary moments - a few going up hills - getting stuck on my anti tippers i couldnt move - facing the sky - surprised i didnt tip over - felt like a long time - but maybe a min a bike came by and lower my front end down

I do this all the time. You just reverse and down it goes. I do it on purpose to tilt back on chairs with no recline.

well its not a good feeling to be stuck that way - not looking to get disabled now :lol: reverse is scary also it was too steep

either i have to gun it all the way up or make a very fast move and turn around so the front end comes down fast but never worked that way

i was just stuck - even now with the chair i moved the seat back - well i did both chairs - going in reverse even with a small incline gives a bad feeling - it rocks back and up in the front same way - either way its not good -

you may not ride as much as i do - or go uphills as much etc, - flat ground its fine and can be fun this way but thats it - its much more limited for the user this way - not worth the the Pros - to each there own - every user is different -
expresso

Postby expresso » 01 Jul 2021, 15:08

fishinjunky wrote:
expresso wrote:be very careful - off road and no one around etc, - your lucky you didnt flip over - the bounder is short base - its too bad - not many of us it seems have a friend to ride along - i am always alone also - what can we do - i would like off road riding -

It would be awesome to have another person to ride with. I've found at least a dozen hidden offroad trails that are in nature and a blast. But I still enjoy it I take my vape pen and get blazed on my rides lol

I really enjoy the Bounder with all the new freedom I push my limits to far I just need to calm down a little and take the right precautions.

imagine if we had video of our crashes lol I bet your ass was in your mouth

I was basically laid over on my side few inches from the ground my caster was stuck keeping it teetering it was crazy.

I talked to 21st about the rims and mine are like yours just a little narrower spacer.

The prescription for the lithium battery and linx gyro has been submitted I'll let ya know how that goes. What should I do with the group 24 batteries they are almost brand new but I'll have no way to keep them charged and wont need them.

Like you sa

i tried the vape outside once when i first got it - worst thing i ever did - i though it was going to be great - like the good old days when your younger - big mistake - never again - i only enjoy it at home - at night - drinking also same thing

i do have a video of my crash - i have it on private i believe - didnt want some to see it - i get you a link later - if its still there -

dont worry about the lead - just get the lithium - if you do - by then the lead would be dead with that chair anyway - i am use they get used hard -

let me know how it goes with the lithium - :thumbup:
expresso

Postby terry2 » 01 Jul 2021, 15:08

Glad you're ok :)

I did have a terrifying situation once.

I got married :lol: :lol:
terry2

Postby slomobile » 01 Jul 2021, 21:56

Glad you are ok!
Those pendants work surprisingly well.

I wonder if a perimeter airbag would help right you in that situation?
Probably not, but if it went off when you started to tip, it might prevent a full rollover. Or knock you down off the anti tip wheels.

An inflatable ring of 8 or 9 cu ft attached to the chair frame, like a tractor inner tube, inflated by disposable CO2 cartridges, like a life raft. Might be possible to DIY a version to test with an accelerometer or water sensor as triggers. Wouldn't want it going off while on the bus or something, unless in an accident.

I drive down by a pond sometimes. With wet grass it can suddenly get squirley and point me toward the water. Big pucker factor when the decel limit keeps it rolling.
A torus with ID of 25" and OD of 50" has about 520lbs of buoyancy.
slomobile

Postby scootntootn » 03 Jul 2021, 22:10

There's a way to signal for help from the watch. I know one is supposed to send a text through your phone if it's present and connected via bluetooth and you fall. I haven't checked if you can do it manually.
Irritatingly female..
Scooter: Afikim Superlight SL2 and a small full size for longer trips.
scootntootn

Postby scootntootn » 03 Jul 2021, 22:19

I found a description. This is available on many of their watches. And you can send a request for assistance manually. https://youtu.be/-CCRzhiyk0A
Irritatingly female..
scootntootn

Postby expresso » 04 Jul 2021, 20:50

thats not a bad idea - could be useful to me also - alot of places i go - if i get in trouble - i may not be seen - depends

having a watch closer to you - i carry a phone but may not be able to reach it if an accident - its good only if i am sitting in my chair - - keep it on my side pocket of chair

hey when you ride alone - and if you go off road - where no ones around - have to think of many ways to get in touch with someone for emergency - its expensive watch - but if it saves your life - worth it
expresso

Postby scootntootn » 05 Jul 2021, 16:42

There are many of their watches that have this. But I think it needs an onboard GPS, so the cheapest watches don't. I have one, and I use it for more and more. Not this in particular, though I might configure it in certain situations.
Irritatingly female..
scootntootn

Postby Burgerman » 05 Jul 2021, 18:39

You phone has GPS.

Since around 2006/7 99% of all smart phones have GPS as part of the way they operate. Before this and if theres no GPS signal (say in a tunnel) they still know your position because they triangulate it from the phone towers signal strengths. Even the ones that you cannot connect to on alternative networks.

So all the watch needs is BT to tell the phone to do its thing.

But teres GPS and GPS...
My new laptop has the usual sim card slot. It can make calls and surf the web using 4G LTE. It includes GPS like a phone. But its basic.

So I ordered it with an extra standalone fast accurate GPS module. Accurate to around 12 inches in space. And very fast. So it knows if I move my laptop from my bed to the bench a meter away... It can show me on a map where I am like a garmin. Or on google earth with pictures.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby scootntootn » 05 Jul 2021, 20:00

Burgerman wrote:You phone has GPS.

Yes, but only the GPS equipped Garmin watches have that feature.

On the other hand, there might be an app for phones that do the same thing? I haven't checked.

But if there isn't one that does it automatically, you're still left with the issue of reachinf the phone. With the watch you could theoretically push that button against something long enough and it sends an alert through the phone that's inaccessible.
Irritatingly female..
scootntootn

Postby ex-Gooserider » 13 Jul 2021, 02:47

As an update on my Fire-Truck encounter - as expected my van was totaled and is gone to the great junkyard in the sky... I feel like the Insurance Co (USAA) seriously low-balled me, but they gave me $26.6K for the carcass, (I get another 1K for the deductible when they decide it wasn't my fault) and I've now put that down towards a replacement...

It was much more than I wanted to spend, but I think I ended up w/ a good deal - I'm getting a 2015 Dodge Caravan "SXT-plus" which I believe is the super top of the line model Caravan, w/ a Braun conversion and only 8,000 miles :o so effectively just about brand new.... After they put in the 'user interface' gear (hand controls, lockdown, etc.) it will be about $42K, but it seems like a big step up from my old van, that was a base model 2012 w/ 140K miles....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Next

Return to Everything Powerchair