Pride motor/gearbox problem

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Pride motor/gearbox problem

Postby byates » 29 Jun 2021, 06:17

Picked up a used Q6 Edge, not running. Controller showing full charge and error code 3. From power on it will try to move, I can feel the motors running when I put my hand on them, then nothing, then ec 3.

Anything to check for? Based on what I have read here I suspect a coupling or a key.

Background in industrial maintenance, before I got too banged up.
byates

Re: Pride motor/gearbox problem

Postby rover220 » 29 Jun 2021, 08:06

Won't be a cush drive or key if its throwing an error. You'll be needing a new motor I suspect.
rover220

Postby Burgerman » 29 Jun 2021, 10:18

Unless the error is either unrelated or to do with the freewheel lever. Check that.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby byates » 29 Jun 2021, 12:52

Looks like my next step is to apply power straight to the motor and see what happens. And brake release?

Same symptoms on both sides, so the problem seems like it would be something common to both. Hope corrosion in connection.
byates

Postby Burgerman » 29 Jun 2021, 14:01

If the freewheel lever is operated then the gearbox may be disconnected from the wheels. And otors can spin freely. If thats the case theres usually an error too as this also normaly disconnects a brake or brakes meaning the brake release is unable to operate. So running the motor will kill the brakes if the freewheel lever does not physically release them.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 01 Jul 2021, 23:23

On my Q6 Edge when the freewheel levers are down (disengaged) both the motors and parking brakes operate and no error is thrown. It just doesn't move because the gear is disengaged.
But, there have been many variations of that chair. YMMV

"From power on it will try to move"
Does that mean the motors move without joystick input? That is odd. If I turn the chair on with joystick not centered, neither motors or brakes will move till it is power cycled with stick centered. It sends error #110 and #36

I have had some strange behavior if the first 6 pin bus cable plugged into the motor controller does not have a ferrite on the motor controller side. If you have experimented with swapping cables around, keep experimenting.
slomobile

Postby slomobile » 01 Jul 2021, 23:37

According to https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12458 ... =28#manual
Error code 3 means Brake 1 not connected
1. Turn power off.
2. Disengage, then re-engage brake lever.
3. Inspect motor connections.
4. Turn power off.

I'm guessing that should have read 4. Turn power on.
Error 4 is the same thing, but for brake 2
slomobile

Postby byates » 07 Jul 2021, 01:24

Finally had a chance to work on it.
Disconnected the brakes from the motor and it worked, forward and back. I made the mistake of cutting the brake wire so I could remove them. Big mistake.

Evidently it checks for the brake resistance or current flow. Looking at the wire gauge I am guessing about a 10 watt resistor, so about 82 Ohms? To make the controller happy.

Better idea anyone?
byates

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jul 2021, 02:17

Yes they check...

Maybe less waste and heat fom 100 Ohm or even less.

At 10 Ohm, you would be wasting 2.5 amps per side. Or 5 amps total. 5X 25 volts is 125 watts :shock: So you will need some substantial resistors!

I would try 100 or even180/ 220 ohm or higher if I was you.

Be aware that without the system not powered up or failed, you will run away downhill at speed and possible end up under a truck.

My bad. Re-reading... Not 10 Ohm, 84ohm? Still a bit much and way lower than needed.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby byates » 07 Jul 2021, 03:22

I was worried about matching the resistance of the magnet coils and just did a swag on the power and resistance.

If it is not that critical I might have something "close enough". If not there is always Amazon, eBay, and Walmart.

Advantage of living in a former swamp, not too many hills to worry about. :D
byates

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jul 2021, 03:26

You need very little actual current to make the controller think theres a brake on the end.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 13 Jul 2021, 02:21

On my Jazzy, the freewheel lever disconnects the gearbox, so the motor and brakes work just fine, but you don't get any drive... Since the motors run, there is no 'error condition' to throw an error code, you just don't move.... I actually think this is a MUCH better design than the ones that just pry the brakes open, as the reason one usually puts a chair in freewheel is so it can be moved w/o power... When the gearbox is disconnected you are basically just turning the axle, so just bearing drag and the grease in the gearbox for resistance, and it is pretty easy to move the chair.... (Downside is it doesn't take much of a slope to have a roll-away...) W/ the brake release, you are having to back-drive the motor and gearbox, so it is MUCH harder to move the chair, so somewhat defeats the purpose of the free-wheel lever.

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Return to Everything Powerchair