USE POWER SUPPLY AS CHARGER

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

USE POWER SUPPLY AS CHARGER

Postby shirley_hkg » 23 May 2011, 12:34

:D
My Lester charger is a 2 - stage one at 8 amp with 28.8V . The other day , I pluged my chair to a power supply with C.V. set at 29.8 volt , and C.C. remaims at 8 amp.

14 hours later, I woke up the following morning and the current read 0.3 amp at C.V. set , with SHELL temperature a very slight bit higher than usual , just high enough felt a difference .

The result is, I found that CHARGE lasted longer than usual. I recalled that BM pointed out that all chargers stop too early say 0.1 A not 0.01 A.

Power supply will not stop or switch float charge . However, what good does float charge make to a everyday user ? Add a timer to stop supply after 14 hours in case you forgot to wake up.

I then think of useing a 0-32V and 0--30A adjustable power supply as charger that I can fine tune the CONSTANT VOLTAGE to suit batteries and fully charge them or a bit over - charge may be .

I could also delibrately overcharge it once a while to balance the cells by letting them self discharge themselves the excess amount of energy. :D

:lol: ANY INPUTS ? :lol:

These power supplies are even cheaper than a charger . 8-)
Attachments
getimage.jpg
0 -- 30A , 0 -- 60V charger at $300.00 USD
getimage.jpg (21.63 KiB) Viewed 883 times
shirley_hkg

Re: USE POWER SUPPLY AS CHARGER

Postby Burgerman » 23 May 2011, 13:16

I could also delibrately overcharge it once a while to balance the cells by letting them self discharge themselves the excess amount of energy.

If you go over 14.4 gel or stay at 14.4 too long you cause water loss, and voids in the gel. Or 14.7 (agm) you lose electrolyte. These two voltages are already above the full cell voltages, so already do balance.

set at 29.8 volt

29.4 is the MAX safe level. Anmy more on an odyssey or optima will drastically reduce cycle life... And increase resistance. And more than 28.80 does the same to gel. MK recommend 14.1 (28.2v) for best cycle life. We usually use 14.4 since it speeds up charging a lot! And doesent cause *much* harm.

Yes, you can charge gel at say 20 amps or so at 14.1v over night.
And Odyssey at unlimited max amps and 14.7v overnight.

That is effectively the same thing as a CC/CV charger. The only problem is that if you leave it too long at that high charge CV you lose electrolyte. Once fully charged it makes gas. It may not matter with a new odyssey, but an old gel for eg will never go below about 70ma.

So 100c is a very safe limit for all lead batteries. After that a long float at 13.5 or 13.7/8 for gels is a safer way of topping up without losing water.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: USE POWER SUPPLY AS CHARGER

Postby nandol » 23 May 2011, 21:51

Olá Shirley,please keep me noticed about the release+price of MANSON HBC 3140
Obrigado,Fernando Luís
nandol

Return to Everything Powerchair