140kg in a M3

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

140kg in a M3

Postby slomobile » 02 Jul 2021, 16:23

I weigh about 140kg, just over 300lbs, sometimes further over. I'm about to make an arduous 3500km 2200mile round trip to pick up a free Permobil M3. Its within 3 years old, but I don't know exactly, nor do I know the motor options or have a way to find out other than picking it up. I need it to last at least 3 years for the trip cost to be worth it.

Will an M3 hold up under my weight, going off road sometimes for 3 years?

I can stand for a few seconds, so it isn't the end of the world if I get stuck, but breaks from metal fatigue are unacceptable. I need to be absolutely sure I have a place to lie flat wherever I go to preserve the function I have left. The tilt/recline actuators will get a severe workout. Because my condition doesn't fit convenient labels that equate to "disabled enough", no DME will bring me a chair to try out, because they don't want to do the work of justifying it to insurance. Due to Covid, I can't even sit in consignment showroom chairs in stock.

I'd like an F% corpus VS, but cannot find one I can afford. This used M3 seemed like a reasonable compromise. Is it?
I know you don't have much to judge by other than my weight, but I've never even sat in one or seen one up close.

Is there a better method to choose a used chair?

BM selection criteria for a short chair do not apply here because I will almost always be reclined. Just wondering about frame/motor/gearbox durability under overweight abuse. I know the M300 had issues in this area. Wondering if the M3 has adequately addressed them. Would like to know if High Torque AND High Speed motors are available. Willing to sacrifice range/carry auxiliary pack.
slomobile

Re: 140kg in a M3

Postby rover220 » 02 Jul 2021, 16:40

Maximum user weight is 300lbs.
rover220

Postby slomobile » 05 Jul 2021, 10:06

So... within the first 2 minutes I elevate the seat and creep up a tiny incline and tip over backwards. Luckily my mom was behind me and caught me. Lesson learned right? 5 minutes later, while alone, I tilt the seat back and the whole chair goes over again, but I stop it by putting my hand on the ground behind me. Reaching for switches with the other hand I was able to get it back upright. Good thing it did not require screen prompts because I couldn't see screen in that position.
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 05 Jul 2021, 11:42

Is this the M3?

In ANY chair that is elevated, or tilted right back or reclined a lot, or all 3 NEVER go up an incline at all!

At least until you learn its capability and balance point. And only then with great care. You are efectively a tall bar stool. And sat on top!

In my Salsa chair I reverse it to the bed. Then lift, tilt, recline, seprately, 2 at a time, and all 3 to gain an inderstanding of how far each can go and what happens if used together. And every time I over do it it just tips back onto the bed. You sort of have very comfortable soft crashes... And then its easy to get it to tip back forwards onto its wheels. But this is a rear drive chair. That has the seating moved back.

The Q700R chair doesent tip back at all even with all 3 things at once. It WOULD if I accelerate forwards. Or attempted a slop or ramp though. You need to learn each chairs different CG balance positions. And so whats safe and whats not.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair