Lenny's multi-node on new controller

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Lenny's multi-node on new controller

Postby slomobile » 09 Jul 2021, 13:27

I haven't implemented Lenny's (lrobbins) system yet on anything, so have zero experience with it.
This RoboteQ controller for 2 AC induction motors looks suitable for my towable off road chair.
https://www.roboteq.com/products/produc ... 60e-detail
Availability: October 2021
I'd like to try it out.
From the documentation at that link, would you expect Lenny's system would work with minimal changes?
Or would the change to AC induction motors require a major rework of the software scripting?
RoborunPlus v2.1 20201222
slomobile

Re: Lenny's multi-node on new controller

Postby LROBBINS » 09 Jul 2021, 14:32

The torque and speed versus current and voltage relationships are very different for AC induction motors and brushed DC motors and I do not think that my script is likely to work at all well without major modifications and a clear understanding of the practical physics of AC motors - something I certainly don't have.
LROBBINS

Postby slomobile » 09 Jul 2021, 15:21

Ok, I expected that I would have drastically different motor curves. I can beg access to a dyno for some characterization runs. I guess I am asking if the API and scripting language is the same. Having not implemented it before, I don't even know what to ask. Can you post a link to the current repo, or whatever I should use as a guide to recreate your multi-node work.
Thanks
slomobile

Postby LROBBINS » 09 Jul 2021, 19:37

The scripting language used by Roboteq is Micro Basic, the CAN protocol I've used conforms to the basic CAN specification and in the Roboteq script is handled as "raw CAN". BUT, I suspect that the AC motors will not only have wildly different characteristic curves, but that the Roboteq commands needed are likely different, or when they have the same name may even have a vastly different meaning. For one, I don't know whether output is controlled by frequency or by voltage or some combination. Whether classical IR motor compensation has any sense for AC motors I have no idea. Even a seemingly minor change such as from brushed to brushless DC motors requires some non-trivial differences in Roboteq programming. For example, Accel is (delta PCM)/(delta time) for brushed motors, but is (delta RPM)/(delta time) for brushless. You're going to have to carefully read Roboteq's documentation for AC motor controllers and probably do some searching elsewhere to really understand what's needed.

Here's a fresh link to what I've uploaded to Google Drive. There have been some changes since those files were posted and they need updating, but I'm at the moment overwhelmed by things I can not put off doing, so it will be some time until I get to that. These files are close enough to current, however, that they should give you a fair idea of how the system is built and how it works.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ysOoYG8mwlvJy0023XwJUgclYXbO1ulS?usp=sharing
LROBBINS

Return to Everything Powerchair