Protection in car

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Protection in car

Postby scootntootn » 17 Aug 2021, 21:56

Just got a folding electric chair I need to put in the car (not mine. I still have my little scooter. And currently the chair is taking the place I meant to use for mine).

Having that thing on the floor of an estate car etc means a lot of floor space you can't use unless you move it upright along the side.

Soooo, a cover of some sort might be a good idea.

How would I go about making it so it's not too heavy? Wood, plastic, metal? I'm thinking a plate that goes over the whole chair folded flat, then side pieces that go on either side, strong enough to put a lot of stuff on top. Not sure there's space for mine on top, but that would be fabulous if it were possible.
Irritatingly female..
Scooter: Afikim Superlight SL2 and a small full size for longer trips.
scootntootn

Re: Protection in car

Postby ex-Gooserider » 24 Aug 2021, 02:30

Possibly put tiedown points in the side wall and floor so that you can use bungee cords to hold the folded chair up against the side of the car? Save space, and arguably safer since the chair would be secured to something in an accident instead of being free to become a projectile...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby scootntootn » 27 Aug 2021, 16:54

I have tie down points in the floor. Need to check side. Need to find my bungee cords.
Irritatingly female..
scootntootn

Postby slomobile » 08 Sep 2021, 20:33

ex-Gooserider wrote:... hold the folded chair up against the side of the car? Save space, and arguably safer since the chair would be secured to something in an accident instead of being free to become a projectile...

ex-Gooserider

This isn't exactly that but it is a step in that direction. https://youtu.be/L4kE-aYTO-c
I found that video as a customer submitted video on the ramp webpage https://www.harborfreight.com/automotiv ... 94057.html
The ramp has a designated space that helps contain the wheelchair against the side wall. https://youtu.be/L4kE-aYTO-c?t=221 You can barely see the chair on the left.

It is a long ramp for $150 with a coupon. Likely possible because it does not use large flat panels for the ramp surface. They inserted horizontal traction extrusions between the long vertical rail extrusions. I removed the securing chains due to the noise. Much better, but the ramp itself can sometimes make small noises over bumps.

I needed a low bed surface to lay on while working on my chair and robots so I put the ramp on 2x4s with foam on top. The space beneath is great for keeping parts and tools close, but covered so they don't get accidentally sent across the room. It serves the purpose and is considerably more comfortable than a Tempurpedic Grand Bed. Top foam https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S4DY55S/
Needed to cut a relief in 2x4 to accommodate thicker center rails. A different ramp may be easier. Next step, fabric cover sheet buttoned or velcroed to the ramp.
Workbed-min.jpg
knocking something together

I use the 6" foam cubes to protect items and vehicle in transport(dunnage). Spray glued together to make custom seating, cut with turkey carver. Under material on workbench when cutting, so I dont cut the bench. Between knees when lying on side. Safe crash barrier when testing. Body props to hold me where I need to weld or wrench. Makeshift forts and chairs when playing with my boy.
6" extremely firm foam cubes https://www.andymark.com/products/6-inc ... kzJTIyJTdE
slomobile

Postby Jayde1976 » 09 Sep 2021, 17:04

scootntootn wrote:I have tie down points in the floor. Need to check side. Need to find my bungee cords.

might want something a bit stronger than a bungee cord..
Jayde1976

Postby scootntootn » 11 Sep 2021, 23:44

Jayde1976 wrote:
scootntootn wrote:I have tie down points in the floor. Need to check side. Need to find my bungee cords.

might want something a bit stronger than a bungee cord..

I normally use luggage straps for securing. Depends how it's used.
Irritatingly female..
scootntootn

Postby scootntootn » 11 Sep 2021, 23:47

slomobile wrote:This isn't exactly that but it is a step in that direction. https://youtu.be/L4kE-aYTO-c
I found that video as a customer submitted video on the ramp webpage....

Loved the video. It won't work for me as is, but there's always something you can take away from a good hack like that.
Irritatingly female..
scootntootn

Postby ex-Gooserider » 14 Sep 2021, 02:38

The chair in the video was also sort of interesting... Not sure what it was, but it looks like a Pride Jazzy with the seat turned around.... It also appeared to have a center footplate mounted on the back end. I wonder if it was intended as a cargo platform, or a 'buddy hauler'????

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby slomobile » 14 Sep 2021, 11:20

ex-Gooserider wrote: looks like a Pride Jazzy with the seat turned around.... It also appeared to have a center footplate mounted on the back end. I wonder if it was intended as a cargo platform, or a 'buddy hauler'????

The turning seat I've seen on pride equipment before. I was thinking the rear shelf might be a vent tray option.
slomobile

Return to Everything Powerchair