Revolectrics

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Revolectrics

Postby Burgerman » 21 Aug 2021, 12:31

Following another post on here.

Details

After 36 years in business FMA, Inc has made the decision to cease business operations, effective August 31, 2021. Also ceasing operations is the brand Revolectrix. Started in 1985 by Fred Marks, FMA has proudly served the R/C Hobby Industry for 25 of its 36 years. The pandemic brought multiple challenges to manufacturing FMA’s products in Asia as disruptions in supply chains and multiple delays and staff shortages at our contract manufacturer all contributed to the decision. As owners and officers of FMA, my brother Tim and I are reaching retirement age and looking forward to pursuing other interests. Over the years we have made many friends in the business. We want to thank all those friends for the support and encouragement. Most of all we want to offer a special thanks to the thousands of customers who have made this family business a joy to operate. The Revolectrix and FMA websites, including both stores, REVO USA and REVO Singapore, will become inaccessible in the coming days. Phone and email service will continue until August 31. Our longest tenured employee and friend, Howard Matos, plans to continue serving the hobby community by offering a repair service for FMA and Revolectrix products. Howard’s efforts will be unrelated to the FMA and Revolectrix business. More information will be available from Howard soon.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Revolectrics

Postby Burgerman » 21 Aug 2021, 12:41

So if you want backups or spares or extra 36 inch balance wires or fuim3's now or never!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 21 Aug 2021, 15:29

that is a blow!
expresso your pessimism was justified.
will anybody else make lithium batteries for their chairs now??
biscuit

Postby steves1977uk » 21 Aug 2021, 16:35

Bugger! :thumbdown: Wonder if they'll open source the software/hardware as these are the best chargers made.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby shirley_hkg » 21 Aug 2021, 16:44

How can we backup the CCS software , or install on another computer afterwards .

PL8 is useless without CCS . hanged
shirley_hkg

Postby Burgerman » 21 Aug 2021, 17:32

Dont know what you mean. I have plenty copies of it here.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 21 Aug 2021, 17:35

Save a copy...
Attachments
CHGM8Sv2 3.6 install.exe
(12.6 MiB) Downloaded 140 times
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Dan » 21 Aug 2021, 19:32

You can still order a PL8. Would it be delivered? I might order two. Just noticed you can't add the PL8 to your basket.

Its been so long. Are these the correct leads? Can the little connector be brought prewired elsewhere?

http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Produc ... sion-Cable
The 36" extension cable plugs in between the Cellpro PowerLab 8 and Cellpro pack (or adapter) for added convenience. Great when you do not want to remove the pack from your model prior to charging. Also makes hookup easier and extends the life of the connectors in the PL8

http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Produc ... /MPA-XH-PL
This special cable is required to interface the Revolectrix MPA to either the Cellpro PowerLab 6 or PowerLab 8 Battery Workstations. The cable is 12 inches long, and includes a JST XH on one end and a JST PA (Cellpro) connector on the other end.
I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.
Dan

Postby Burgerman » 21 Aug 2021, 20:35

yes
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby davidpaul » 21 Aug 2021, 21:58

They're not answering messages about my order, I started a case with paypal two days ago
davidpaul

Postby davidpaul » 21 Aug 2021, 22:09

After reading this I've escalated my case to a claim
davidpaul

Postby expresso » 22 Aug 2021, 00:55

may have to end up using a BMS after all - for the balancing part ?
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 22 Aug 2021, 01:03

Or a different charger. You have backup chargers as I do. Dont stress!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 22 Aug 2021, 01:12

i just made my last order - the little cables - balance 36 inch - and one more fumi - just in case

i do have spares - but my friend who i did lithium for - she dosnt - between us both - i have spares - if someone will really repair them afterwards as they say.

that can change overnight also -

but the software - on a new computer lets say - dosnt it have to connect to there web server ? or will it just work with no other input from them ?

an external BMS dosnt sound that bad after all now - if someone dosnt have a charger now - the hunt is now on for a good BMS that can do what is needed as close to what we need as we can find -

if i had to choose off the top of my head - with out knowing about it - i would just get the same BMS bounder is using -

lets try to find a good BMS ? i should be fine for some time unless they all crap out at once - but i also have to be sure my friend has one to use also - shes more active than me -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 22 Aug 2021, 01:20

Theres no such thing as a GOOD BMS. They can be as good as they want but are in the WRONG PLACE to do the charging properly. And the rest of what they do we dont want.

but the software - on a new computer lets say - dosnt it have to connect to there web server ?

no
or will it just work with no other input from them ?

yes
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 22 Aug 2021, 01:43

if the options are No charger - vs a BMS - i think the BMS will win -

dosnt matter if its not good- if you have no choice - its better than nothing isnt it ?

i dont need one now - but maybe someone else didnt get a PL8 in time - who will do the lithium if there is no good charger for it -

or use a BMS - better than nothing - an external unit - not on the pack - you get home - plug in the BMS - plug in any decent charger -

let it do its thing - for better or for worse - like a marriage -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 22 Aug 2021, 02:27

No. BMS are all useless by design. They are fundamentally flawed in the way they have to work in between the charger and the battery. So I would just look around for another hobby charger that could be used instead. So maybe one of thee https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/isdt-p30-1000 ... dc-charger or whatever. Might go through two or thee different ones till I find one type that are good enough, no hidden issues, and then stock up. Than it all starts again trying to get flaws in algos fixed. Took years with hyperion, took years with revolectrix, and who knows next time!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 22 Aug 2021, 02:43

we know how you feel about BMS and we know its useless for everything you say -

but if the option are between nothing and a BMS - pick nothing ?

a new charger like you say took years working with them - what makes you think you find a new charger and who ever you get it from - company is going to care what you suggest to them - ? they may listen and do it - or may say yeah yeah and goodbuy also

while those years go by trying to fix it - what would users do in the meantime - i mean users who dont have a pl8 now - ? and need to charge or just got Cells on the way - with no charger -

or just pick a charger use it and leave it alone ? or a BMS in the meantime if it means your not stuck - as bad as it sounds - its better than nothing -
expresso

Postby Gnomatic » 22 Aug 2021, 02:53

Damn! :thumbdown:

I do have 2 PL8's, but with this news, would like a third. Scrounging online, but nothing yet ..... banghead
Gnomatic

Postby Burgerman » 22 Aug 2021, 02:58

I have 4 and non ever failed. Because GOOD power supplies. So good to go for now.

Someone may buy them out or somehing and continue yet. Its only 1 charger. A damned useful sorted one but not the end of the world.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 22 Aug 2021, 03:00

if they keep fixing them at least - not them - but the person who they said will do repairs after -

i been using just 1 Pl8 for all my charging - keeping the rest on the shelf - only if needed - if one fails - get it repaired - if they are going to share the info of the repair guy -

i wouldnt put it past them to forget to do that - in 2 weeks - all is gone - like it never been -

i only had one fail when new - years ago - all the rest been fine for past 5 or 6 years now

i wouldnt open it to touch it now - external BT only - without the fumi cable - that may be needed -
expresso

Postby snaker » 22 Aug 2021, 03:02

We should be realistic and accept the fact "BMS or nothing" as expresso said.

shirley_hkg should create a thread to guide us how to build a pack with BMS. And recommend us what BMS is good (or good enough). And where to buy them?
snaker

Postby Burgerman » 22 Aug 2021, 03:04

Your logic is failing you again. The thing that caused your blutooth one to die can happen JUST AS EASILY internally or externally. And in both cases it was YOU that did it! If you connect the plug wrong - say 1 pin misaligned, when connecting it the same thing will happen regardless externally or internally... I know. You have your own version of logic.

You shorted out the power 5V on that plug. You can do it with the servo plug by accidentally connecting the pins across it or misaligned or whatever. So just be careful and only connect while powered off. And check you got it right. Then no danger either way.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 22 Aug 2021, 03:11

We should be realistic and accept the fact "BMS or nothing" as expresso said.

shirley_hkg should create a thread to guide us how to build a pack with BMS. And recommend us what BMS is good (or good enough). And where to buy them?

Dont stress. Plenty of other balance charges out there. Inc the one I just linked to above may well be OK. I dont have one to check out but therrs lots of hobby chargers.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 22 Aug 2021, 03:24

Burgerman wrote:Your logic is failing you again. The thing that caused your blutooth one to die can happen JUST AS EASILY internally or externally. And in both cases it was YOU that did it! If you connect the plug wrong - say 1 pin misaligned, when connecting it the same thing will happen regardless externally or internally... I know. You have your own version of logic.

You shorted out the power 5V on that plug. You can do it with the servo plug by accidentally connecting the pins across it or misaligned or whatever. So just be careful and only connect while powered off. And check you got it right. Then no danger either way.

yes all true - it did work fine - and yes i did kill by reversing the little wires - i didnt know it would kill it - it worked - then showed no data etc, - i must have reveresed it then and it died

but the POINT is - dont take a chance unless your willing to accept the risk - and now with no more made or sold - its not worth it - i would say for most - external BT works just as fine - and even the fumi cable - worked fine for many years - its a nice feature to have -

that new charged you linked too has BT i believe - nice screen - hey maybe even better charger for all we know -

the repair guy told me - it was not the power that got killed - it was something else - either way - i am sure it was me with the BT - but it was done correct - it had to be those wires i reveresed in the rear - which not many knew that would kill it either -

it was a surprise to many here also - my mistake saved others from doing the same mistake - now that would be a Pos way of thinking -

ones fail is some ones gain - nothing is lost - not even the loser looses -
expresso

Postby expresso » 22 Aug 2021, 03:27

snaker wrote:We should be realistic and accept the fact "BMS or nothing" as expresso said.

it dosnt hurt to have options - - if i can do without one - fine - but if i cant - or just want one -

so be it -

this is more of a concern for users who dont have a charger PL8 - or just starting to find this site and want to do it - just to find out they cant charge it - they will go to Youtube to learn then - that will be fun
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 22 Aug 2021, 04:23

:lol:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 22 Aug 2021, 04:25

about time - you havnt laughed so hard in years - progress
expresso

Postby terry2 » 22 Aug 2021, 10:50

I called this 2+ years ago.
Anyone could see it was the end of the road.

I've already found a 100amp BMS for my chair :D

https://overkillsolar.com/product/bms-100a-8s-lifepo4/

There github https://github.com/FurTrader/OverkillSolarBMS

Video of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCC_3Lo ... WillProwse
terry2

Postby Burgerman » 22 Aug 2021, 12:10

Best of luck. :clap

If you must use a BMS get one that is big enough. That one is only 100A. A typical powerchair has a 2x 120A controller. It takes a few amps like 10 to 40 most of the time. But when it needs to do so like accelerating up a slope or whatever it CAN pull 120A per motor. Up to a peak of 240A from the battery. So while that can do overcurent for a second, that much overcurrent will likely cause its mosfets to blow. Or just chop off power.

And you really should read ever word of its help page. For e.g it recommends a start balance point of 3.4V. That will cause unbalancing on slow charge rates. So all if its settings really do need some configuration. You want balance to start at 3.5V and you never want a cell to exceed 3.6V but its not likely to be able to manage that even if you set it that way as its mosfets and resistors will give off too much heat and it will either die or shut off charging or something. And you need a 14.2 stable power supply to charge from. Not some generic charger that thinks you should be charging at a higher voltage or that spikes because you keep cutting it off with the BMS overvoltage thing... Anyway a lot of potential issues.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Next

Return to Everything Powerchair