Half silvered mirror

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Half silvered mirror

Postby slomobile » 24 Aug 2021, 21:29

My preferred seating position is nearly flat which makes chair driving visibility nonexistent. I had an idea yesterday to fix that while serving as a windscreen, a tray, and computer display when moved to different positions.

I am building a proof of concept flat polycarbonate "windscreen". Solar grey tinted, uv protected, 1 surface 50% aluminized, 14" wide x 30" tall 1/4" thick w/1/2" radiused corners. 3x .220" equally spaced mounting holes 1/2" from edge along bottom 14" side. Tearoffs on both sides. That part is on order.

I'd like to hear any ideas for mounting, use, improvements. will it work?

Mounted at 45degrees, it functions optically like a presidential teleprompter beamsplitter. Driver on his back, looking up through the screen. Sun transmission through the screen is reduced, but driver can still see people and things around him through the screen. The image of path in front of the chair, toward feet, is reflected off the aluminized surface down toward the eyes by the partial mirror. The path ahead is also visible through the tinted windscreen by anyone that happens to be following.
When using a laptop with a mirror image video driver, the computer screen will reflect off the mirrored surface toward the eyes like a teleprompter.
When sitting upright, the windscreen will be moved down to serve as a table. Non mirrored side up.

I'm thinking of using a 2nd set of permobil swing up armrest mounts on the seatback to mount it to so it wont interfere with transfers and be plenty strong when used as a table.
slomobile

Re: Half silvered mirror

Postby hobie1dog » 27 Aug 2021, 02:46

I'm interested to see a picture of this.
Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe-nowhere else could things be more screwed up.

Invacare M61
Quickie S636- 3.00-4 tires, Chevy seat
hobie1dog

Postby slomobile » 27 Aug 2021, 14:28

It doesn't exist in the world yet. Here is the drawing I used to order the Tearoffs. Just change the extension from txt to dxf and use a CAD viewer. Its really just a flat piece of polycarbonate. The magic is selecting the right coating options. https://telepromptermirror.com/how-to-m ... eprompter/
It seems these mirrors are usually acrylic for some reason unknown to me. So that might need to be tried. Or Gorilla glass.
I have no idea if it will actually work.

If you have a need for something like this, here are other things that work a little and are more compact.
https://www.amazon.com/EARTHLITE-Adjust ... 084BXZQNC/
or
https://www.amazon.com/vinmax-Spectacle ... 01MXF4QXP/

The vitrectomy mirror I have is not adjustable and the view is a bit too small, but it has the advantage of bouncing the image off of 2 mirrors so text is readable.
If the single mirror has issues, I'll use it to gather the image and bounce it off a smaller regular mirror for viewing things "normally".
Attachments
WindscreenTearoff.txt
CAD drawing
(1.81 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
slomobile

Postby ex-Gooserider » 31 Aug 2021, 04:02

slomobile wrote:It doesn't exist in the world yet. Here is the drawing I used to order the Tearoffs. Just change the extension from txt to dxf and use a CAD viewer. Its really just a flat piece of polycarbonate. The magic is selecting the right coating options. https://telepromptermirror.com/how-to-m ... eprompter/
It seems these mirrors are usually acrylic for some reason unknown to me. So that might need to be tried. Or Gorilla glass.
I have no idea if it will actually work.

Typically acrylic is cheaper than polycarbonate, and is easier to work with... Since strength / impact resistance is not typically a concern w/ teleprompters (unless maybe you are a VIP that wants bullet-proofing?) there is no reason to use polycarbonate...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby slomobile » 01 Sep 2021, 15:06

Mirror still on order, but ebay sent the armrest attachments.
20210901_080019-min-min.jpg

When lowered (ready to use) the cast aluminum armrest mount tucks right into my armpit area. This works for me as a heatsink and weight bearing trunk support which I need, maybe you don't.
20210901_080114-min-min.jpg

There are lots of options to mount a second unit. I chose to swap sides for the arms so they were higher but left the stop quadrant thingy on the original side so it matched the one beneath it. Those things function perfectly fine if left attached to their original arms, I just swapped for aesthetics.
20210901_080040-min-min.jpg

The stop quadrant belcrank must attach somewhere. You can leave it attached to its own turnbuckles and attach them to the back profile. That makes everything independently adjustable, but its bulky and cumbersome.
I just attached the new belcrank to the old one on the same side. A single turnbuckle adjusts the angle of both. Relative position between them is achieved by moving the whole armrest mount up or down on the back profile. In the end, I set the distance between units to the same eye to eye distance of the small spherical bearing connecting rod as one came with the new kit. A second one and its mounting bolt are on order for the other side. At the upper stop quadrant, because it does not have the turnbuckle mount to pass through, a portion of the mounting bolt shoulder will be turned down to fit the spherical bearing.
slomobile

Postby slomobile » 01 Sep 2021, 17:01

If you don't want the mount in your armpit, you can extend it out sideways to the same width as the outsides of the wheels. Then the mount is next to the outside of your upper arm. It provides something to lean against if that is what you are after, but it can still be swung up and out of the way for a side entry transfer, which is a nice option eliminated by seat post mounts like Mount'n Mover. If you don't anticipate a need to swing it up, you can lock it in place by tightening the bolt on the stop quadrant.

Hmm. Time to give Mount'n Mover a call to see i they can accommodate this project.
slomobile

Return to Everything Powerchair