shower/bathroom chair

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

shower/bathroom chair

Postby fishinjunky » 02 Sep 2021, 12:51

i know this isnt a power chair question but im looking at getting a new shower commode chair and was wondering what shower chairs everyone else is using or recommends.

here is the one i currently have. I may get it again but wanted to see what others are using and recommend incase theirs something better
https://activeaid.com/product/285/
Invacare tdx sp
Bounder 300M 200ah lifepo4
fishinjunky

Re: shower/bathroom chair

Postby Arima » 02 Sep 2021, 17:20

I use the Invacare Mariner

The seat is really hard. Added foam from a cut up pool saddle. The chair is rickety, it sort of wobbles as it rolls. But I only need to go from my bedroom to the bath about 15ft. One front caster locked up... replaced it with a hardware store caster. Used over 5yrs and still going. I need the big wheels so I can push myself. Cheapest self propelled I could find.

Nuprodx makes a full line of configurable bath options. Pricey but nice.
Thxs
Arima

Postby Burgerman » 02 Sep 2021, 18:04

I gave up on wet rooms and showers. Too messy caused me preSsure sores, takes way too long, and destroys bathrooms and carpets etc. Bed baths take 5 mins. I have carers here daily anyway.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Fedor » 02 Sep 2021, 19:04

Burgerman wrote:I gave up on wet rooms and showers. Too messy caused me preSsure sores, takes way too long, and destroys bathrooms and carpets etc. Bed baths take 5 mins. I have carers here daily anyway.

Do you use a dry wash with special cleaning things (like on pic) or a wet classic wash? Sorry if the question is not tactful

seni.jpg
geek | non-native english | bear, vodka, balalaika
Fedor

Postby Rollin Positive » 02 Sep 2021, 19:31

Super over priced but the bigger wheeled roll or can be pushed much more easy.

We dont have issues with water we had construction crew come in and pull out our shower then have floor angled in to the drain and dry off in the shower before rolling out keeps the floor pretty dry

if you have time shop around

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324725510678?e ... SwxbBg0VRk
Rollin Positive

Postby Burgerman » 02 Sep 2021, 19:56

Fedor, a bowl, soapy water, sponge and a towel! Its cheap, fast and works well. Carers roll me on my side to do the other side!

If any sores, redness or anything, add a little dettol... (disinfectant) too.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 02 Sep 2021, 19:58

Cheap as rollin says is probably best and replace every 3 years when they start to corrode. But I no longer have one. Which means it dosent take up any space/cost either.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby fishinjunky » 03 Sep 2021, 18:21

Burgerman wrote:I gave up on wet rooms and showers. Too messy caused me preSsure sores, takes way too long, and destroys bathrooms and carpets etc. Bed baths take 5 mins. I have carers here daily anyway.

Yea my entire bathroom floor needs replaced because of my shower chair. And probably walls to because of chance of mildew
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby Burgerman » 03 Sep 2021, 19:38

My NEW wetroom, isnt used wet... Just a loo and a hand basin. long worktop. Still has the drain in the floor and new floor covering in case I ever go back to showers. Its 13 year old and looks brand new and shiny because its all ceramic tiled and never been wet.

Like you said, my old wetroom was used as one, so it deteriorated horribly in around 6 years with swelled wood, limescale stained floor and everything just looked horrible. It doesent help that carers dont clean and dry stuff like you would yourself...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 03 Sep 2021, 19:51

This is around 13 to 14 years old. Nothing changed or deteriorated at all.

Theres is a floor drain as you see. No longer any shower.
There IS a tap and a hose. On the right. Mostly never used other than to fill a bucket of water or watering can or something.

Large gap underneath for my legs/feet. Cupboards for medication, supplies etc. And a toothbrush! This is off my bedroom.

Floor looks absolutely clean and unused. Gets a clean every few months with automotive "back to black" stuff. Takes around 10 mins to keep it that way. Now and again just throw a towel on the floor and get a carer to dust it with her feet. Very low maintainance. No water = no mess.
Attachments
1 (45).jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 03 Sep 2021, 19:59

UNUSED bathroom. Also over a decade old. I live alone and was fitted after GF married someone else! Just gets a polish every few months. Car detailer... :lol: Nothing gets wet then nothing changes. Everything stays new. But old... Super tidy. Unlike my bedroom.

I really am OCD.
Attachments
1 (24).jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby fishinjunky » 04 Sep 2021, 12:10

Burgerman wrote:This is around 13 to 14 years old. Nothing changed or deteriorated at all.

Theres is a floor drain as you see. No longer any shower.
There IS a tap and a hose. On the right. Mostly never used other than to fill a bucket of water or watering can or something.

Large gap underneath for my legs/feet. Cupboards for medication, supplies etc. And a toothbrush! This is off my bedroom.

Floor looks absolutely clean and unused. Gets a clean every few months with automotive "back to black" stuff. Takes around 10 mins to keep it that way. Now and again just throw a towel on the floor and get a carer to dust it with her feet. Very low maintainance. No water = no mess.

nice. I really like your setup looks like you have a lot of space. Thats what I need.
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby Burgerman » 04 Sep 2021, 12:29

Wide angle lens to "get it all in" makes rooms look bigger as it distorts walls. But still there is still plenty of space.

That bathroom, and the ex wet room, involved knocking down walls to make bigger but less rooms.

Same in kitchen. Extended, plus knocked down 2 walls, to get a bigger more open space for wheelchairs. Although this is a bungalow, there are 2 bedrooms and a bathroom/shower room upstairs too. That I have never seen in 23 years!

Kitchen, made bigger. Its not about adapted units etc really its SPACE that you need. So you can open things and swing or reverse away etc. Also dark tiles so that no marks or maintainance from tyres. And wider doors everywhere.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby fishinjunky » 04 Sep 2021, 14:04

Burgerman wrote:Wide angle lens to "get it all in" makes rooms look bigger as it distorts walls. But still there is still plenty of space.

That bathroom, and the ex wet room, involved knocking down walls to make bigger but less rooms.

Same in kitchen. Extended, plus knocked down 2 walls, to get a bigger more open space for wheelchairs. Although this is a bungalow, there are 2 bedrooms and a bathroom/shower room upstairs too. That I have never seen in 23 years!

Kitchen, made bigger. Its not about adapted units etc really its SPACE that you need. So you can open things and swing or reverse away etc. Also dark tiles so that no marks or maintainance from tyres. And wider doors everywhere.

i agree having plenty of space makes such a difference. This will be the second time replacing my bathroom floor. At first i thought it was just bad materials used but even with tile my shower chair after awhile tears the floor up letting moisture get under the tiles now the floor is sagging its in bad shape. I looked today and yea im going to have to replace the walls and sub-floor also the floor joist are now rotten from moisture so its going to be expensive but gotta fix it cant let it go. Im really temped to start bathing like you do. You get just as clean really no difference other than not having running water over you which makes me cold anyway. My shower is lasting 5 to 8 years then needs redone. And like you said the pressure sores banghead
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby Burgerman » 04 Sep 2021, 14:08

Do it.

The two pics above show BLACK flooring. Because black tyres. The wetroom os a type of welded plastic and epoxied down. It only comes up with a hammer and chisel. Lasts forever. Stays black because no water...

The bathroom is concrete floor and black textured non slip but shiny black ceramic tiles.

The kitchen is dark grey ceramic tiles.
Attachments
view-from-sink-1200.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 04 Sep 2021, 15:06

dark carpet tiles

Hallway and my room and living room, all in one go.
Attachments
810_2462.JPG
810_2464-1600JPG.jpg
810_2468.JPG
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 04 Sep 2021, 15:31

Hallway also same black carpet tiles.

And in the kitchen, nothing appears to be modified and shouts "disabled". Like the whole house. Adaptaions are all of the type that do not look it, and help everyone. Wide doors and internal doorways and level entrances to house help everyone equally. Same as kitchen pull out and pull down units and side opening ovens etc.

But units are all easy to access with a wheelchair. . I did not want to have a place that looks adapted. And it doesent.
Attachments
1 (70).jpg
tall-wall-unit-wheelchair-accessible.jpg
adapted-kitchen-disability-1024.jpg
ADAPTATION_SLIDE_OUT_CUPBOARDS.jpg
ADAPTED_PULL_DOWN_WALL_UNIT.JPG
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Toro » 04 Sep 2021, 16:05

That's a nice clean look BM... and as you said, it's about not looking disabled, more so enlarged.

Very similar to my house. I built from scratch so got to design it how I saw fit.

Do you go through many carpet tile replacements?

Also with the dark tiles in kitchen, does it show dust trails from tyers after coming in from outside?
Toro

Postby Burgerman » 04 Sep 2021, 16:19

I single tile in 5 years. Dropped paint...

These are the sort of tiles you would fit in a shop doorway or airport entrance. They appear bomb proof!

Kitchen tiles do get tyre tracks if your tyres are wet. Nothing really bad. But you can see it. But a quick mop every now and again keeps them good. The vacuum cleaner polishes them well!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Toro » 04 Sep 2021, 16:40

Yea tyer trails still happen but aren't too big a problem.

Living in Australia I decided not to go with too much carpet, so 70% of home is tiles 20% wood and 10% carpet.

Do your carers do the cleaning or you get a cleaner in?

My carers will do basic cleaning but nothing to strenuous.

Another question on carers, is it difficult to find carers there, and stay around long?

I'm putting a new care team together and there has been shortages here, bloody good pay for it.
Toro

Postby fishinjunky » 04 Sep 2021, 17:14

Wow BM that's a badass setup I really like the modern look. And no coffee tables or end tables to have to maneuver around my mom has them everywhere drives me crazy. I'm going to look into that black tile I really like it. We are planning on replacing the floating wood tile floor when the bathroom gets rebuild. Floating floor was a bad idea with a heavy power chair over time. How was the price of your tile
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby CPguy » 04 Sep 2021, 17:54

Burgerman lifestyle is the best! I am close to that but my apartment needs more cleaning and my clothing needs ironing.
My rides:
1 BM2/BM3 with 120 A R-Net and Odessey (Lithium in 2016)
1 SKS Swiss VIVA (spare, as only NF22 size battery)
2 Progeo YOGA (for traveling)
CPguy

Postby LROBBINS » 04 Sep 2021, 19:59

Ceramic tiles, even mud set, do not give an adequate moisture barrier for a shower. You need to also install a true water barrier - either heavy PVC sheet or a mastic made for that purpose. The barrier should also extend up the walls if they are tiled or water will eventually seep through the grout and whatever's behind the tiles. Learned the hard way about needing the barrier for walls as well as floor - or at least extend the floor barrier up a few inches to avoid water pooled at the floor-wall angle from seeping through! Better a full-wall barrier as it will also protect the adjacent room if the plumbing goes bad. Don't let a contracter tell you that cement board is enough.
LROBBINS

Postby Burgerman » 04 Sep 2021, 21:22

If you look carefully back at my once wet room with the drain, thats exactly what that is. Some kind of rough surface plastic, where joined is heat welded, epoxied to the concrete floor. It appears like it is stone or something. But its not. Its totally waterproof up to around 7 inches up the walls and up the cupboards etc. However actual shower is no longer fitted. As I dont use it that way.

https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... &mode=view

Do your carers do the cleaning or you get a cleaner in?
My carers will do basic cleaning but nothing to strenuous.

Same here so I pay a GOOD enthusiastic OCD cleaner a few hours per week. She does more in 2 hours than most in a full week. But is good. Does things properly. Everything gleams and thats the same inside cupboards etc. My bedroom/workshop is a little less OCD! :D :oops:

Another question on carers, is it difficult to find carers there, and stay around long?

I have one 12 years, one 5 years one 2 years. Over the past 23 years I found many that were barmaids... Guess how that happened! Younger girls dont mind late hours etc and have no ties/kids to come first... So seem more reliable. Dont have any young ones at the moment though. :oops:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 04 Sep 2021, 21:23

Yes coffee tables, end tables etc all get in the way. I have NO clutter! I am ruthless!

If you want cream carpets or a less "secretely adapted" house you will be forever in a mess. No matter grey or black tyres. It took a huge plan, and around 10 years to adapt, extend, knowck down walld, change the interior, wide doors, flooring, bathrooms/wet rooms, and outside (low maintainance, plenty parking hidden ramps and level access, all plastic so no paintwork, security gates, cameras, high insulation as heating £££ and maintainance and gardening all costs money! And you have to find people to keep doing it.

This place actually has many adaptations that was expensive to do. All of it sympathetically, and planned to work together for my benefit. But non of it looks as if it was done because of disability even if it really was. All the mods and £££ spent is also stuff that makes the house more usable to everybody. And does not shout disability.

The exact opposite to things like this disaster!
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/20 ... e552fc.jpg

Obviously the council paid 100k dollars because in place of a proper organised joined up plan, they treated each problem individually... In this case they fixed her access problem alone. banghead
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 04 Sep 2021, 22:26

BAD planning. But true. 75k wasted. No room in that house to swing a cat. Thoe houses also need a stair lift for a wheelchair to get to the bedrooms. So no space indoors even if she can get in. Absolute stupidity.
Does that shout disabled adequately. This is an extreme example of what I did no want! I PLANNED everything in 97 to work together. Had that meant moving house I would have done that first. Fortunately it didnt.
Attachments
252628182a605534a3d4f468545b5705.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 04 Sep 2021, 22:44

My local authority wanted to do something similar to this (below) at my front door in 97. At half the cost of redoing my driveway properly to give an invisible rise up to the front door instead. Albeit just 2 steps. And shorter.

img_6977.jpg

So I did the driveway, and subsidised it with the councils grant money.
So it cost me a little more. At the same time it also gave me a shit load of parking area, and did away with a load of high maintainance garden and grass, and it doesent even look like a front door ramp at all because I did not want that!

Better plan! New drive, blended ram, no railings. Looks better and more practical for everyone. No sign of a ramp and railings... Which would you prefer? I did not want my house to be the one in my street that everyone drove past and saw "disabled". Same inside. Everything invisible.

D8E_3907+.JPG

This has moved a long way from showerchairs. But its all the same big joined up plan. Its no good running around putting out small fires one thing at a time. The woman in the post above, with silly council ramp, has now moved house to get more space... So all wasted.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 05 Sep 2021, 10:39

I might add that it doesent matter if you use "institution grey" mobility tyres. Light carpets and tiles all get filthy from the dirt off the roads and especially so in winter (salt/rubber) etc.

So its best to go with dark grey or black regardless even if you use dont have black tyres.

And as a part of a grand well thought out plan you should definitely consider the cost of making rooms bigger and knocking down walls etc tomake open plan and more space, compared to just finding a more suitable property. And dont be in a rush or afraid to look in different areas. And dont spend good money trying to adapt an unsuitable place. Or on adapting small kitchens etc. Its wasted cash. Do temporary ramps etc - while you get everything together. Plan for worst case scenario. If you do it properly it will still be a nicer place to live even if the things you did were not all needed. My house shows no sign of disability related adaptation. Even though it is considerably modded for my use. Just done in a sensible descrete way.

If you move house, look at bungalows... (Mine is, but has 2 bedrooms and another bathroom I have never seen in 23 years, upstairs! So completely wasted space.)

And look for places that have adequate off road parking. Esp now that electric cars are to be a part of most peoples future. Because carers, freinds and you in the future may need to charge and get wheelchair access to ramps etc. Thats not going to work parked in the street. So terrace houses generally are a bad idea a few years down the line. When you consider that most houses have 1 to 3 cars, then any house with no off-street parking or a driveway is going to drop in price. And any place with a driveway, is going to go up in price quite drastically. As all those that need to charge will want that driveway! And thats most adult households. So move asap before the prices go too high! No new petrol or diesel cars after 2025 (4 years time) to be sold in the UK! banghead
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby fishinjunky » 05 Sep 2021, 14:42

Burgerman wrote:My local authority wanted to do something similar to this (below) at my front door in 97. At half the cost of redoing my driveway properly to give an invisible rise up to the front door instead. Albeit just 2 steps. And shorter.

img_6977.jpg

So I did the driveway, and subsidised it with the councils grant money.
So it cost me a little more. At the same time it also gave me a shit load of parking area, and did away with a load of high maintainance garden and grass, and it doesent even look like a front door ramp at all because I did not want that!

Better plan! New drive, blended ram, no railings. Looks better and more practical for everyone. No sign of a ramp and railings... Which would you prefer? I did not want my house to be the one in my street that everyone drove past and saw "disabled". Same inside. Everything invisible.

D8E_3907+.JPG

This has moved a long way from showerchairs. But its all the same big joined up plan. Its no good running around putting out small fires one thing at a time. The woman in the post above, with silly council ramp, has now moved house to get more space... So all wasted.

That's the way to go right there gives you even more space for ripping wheelies and it looks awesome :thumbup: . I'm going to save these pics to show my mother got to get approved by the boss first :lol: because I would like to replace our floors with the black tile you have she would love that setup as would I. Right now I see my house as a work in progress. What type of tile is it? And how wide did you widen your doors I was curious.

I have a old wood ramp that's warped and needs replaced. I'm probably going to replace it with a portable railess metal ramp. I'm not sure yet. I would like something that can put away when I don't need it. What's your thoughts on something like that
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby Burgerman » 05 Sep 2021, 17:20

What type of tile is it? And how wide did you widen your doors I was curious.

Which?
Kitchen and bathroom are just ceramic floor tiles. Common here. But slate grey (cheap) and black with a pattern (not so cheap).
Carpet tiles? Rest of house? https://www.flooringhut.co.uk/carpet-ti ... rpet-tiles
I have a old wood ramp that's warped and needs replaced. I'm probably going to replace it with a portable railess metal ramp. I'm not sure yet. I would like something that can put away when I don't need it. What's your thoughts on something like that

Yes dont. If you plan on staying there indefinitely level the floors or do a proper permanant blended ramp. Your mum wont be there forever. Do a long term full time forever plan. And start at the beginning. Doors widened? In the UK everything is brick. All my floors are concrete. Well they are except for 2 rooms. So builders, disk cutters, new wider frames, and new doors. Everywhere. Major work.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Next

Return to Everything Powerchair